[OLD] The Indrema Revolution [REVAMPED] - An Alternate History of Indrema, Pop Culture, and Gaming

They'd probably team up with existing cable and satellite providers to allow people to turn the Nova into a cable box.
Oh. How would that work out? Would the services last after the Nova is discontinued? Would pre-existing subscribers get to use it?
Probably some special editions, and they'd probably take some cues from the 360 like faceplates (unlike the 360's, the Nova has both front and back faceplates that are magnetic)
Really? I want to see some examples of the Nova's faceplates.
I'm not sure yet.

That's right.
Ok. Maybe The Kitty Bobo Show could take it's place? Maybe even an earlier Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack? Hey, the show was being pitched as early as 2001.
Nivek explained that PKMN couldn't realistically air on Fox Kids, and if I had the time, I'd retcon to be on Kids WB! while MW would be on Cartoon Network (which was originally gonna air Mario's World before i decided to make it a Fox Family series)
Ah.

Oh. How would that work out? Would the services last after the Nova is discontinued? Would pre-existing subscribers get to use it?
It'd probably uses CableCARDs, letting people to watch cable without a cable box, or a coaxial cable for people with analog cable or satellite. I'd probably have the services last after the Nova kicks the bucket. Indrema's expecting it to have a 10-year lifespan at best.
Really? I want to see some examples of the Nova's faceplates.
Here's a low-effort faceplate.
6eL1Ygo.png

Ok. Maybe The Kitty Bobo Show could take it's place? Maybe even an earlier Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack? Hey, the show was being pitched as early as 2001.
I'd be down for Flapjack.

It'd probably uses CableCARDs, letting people to watch cable without a cable box, or a coaxial cable for people with analog cable or satellite.
That'd be cool, especially for those that only had cable thru the cord at the time. It'd be a good way to record shows. How much storage would they have for recording? Also, how does the TV guide and the stuff like that look like? Or are you saving that for the Nova post?
I'd probably have the services last after the Nova kicks the bucket.
Nice!
Indrema's expecting it to have a 10-year lifespan at best.
Kinda like the PS3 and the 360 IOTL, but with actual support? Would it be crazy if the Nova was still around in 2024? I mean, the certainly have the means to keep updating it and stuff and make it last up to 20 years or something, meaning there's a chance the Nova could actually beat the PS2 in sales.
Here's a low-effort faceplate.
6eL1Ygo.png
That's cool! It's an outer space faceplate.
I'd be down for Flapjack.
That'd be cool!

That'd be cool, especially for those that only had cable thru the cord at the time. It'd be a good way to record shows. How much storage would they have for recording? Also, how does the TV guide and the stuff like that look like? Or are you saving that for the Nova post?
I'd have the OS be 2-4 GB, with everything else is storage for stuff including games, media, cache, and recordings. I'm saving the latter for when I post Nova.
Kinda like the PS3 and the 360 IOTL, but with actual support? Would it be crazy if the Nova was still around in 2024? I mean, the certainly have the means to keep updating it and stuff and make it last up to 20 years or something, meaning there's a chance the Nova could actually beat the PS2 in sales.
They could, but the only thing bottlenecking the system would be the RAM and CPU, I guess
Let's just say that the Neo will evolve through the years, with newer versions becoming more powerful with more RAM and faster CPUs.

I'd have the OS be 2-4 GB, with everything else is storage for stuff including games, media, cache, and recordings. I'm saving the latter for when I post Nova.

They could, but the only thing bottlenecking the system would be the RAM and CPU, I guess
Let's just say that the Neo will evolve through the years, with newer versions becoming more powerful with more RAM and faster CPUs.
Cool! Also, couldn't we have the RAM and CPU be upgradable? If not, then for the next console?

2006: Indrema Goes to Hollywood
Indrema Goes to Hollywood

Indrema’s The Book of Aeri (2006 movie)
PGQdX0l.png

Aeri logo by @ExowareMasses
Produced by: Indrema Studios, Amblin Entertainment
Distributed by: Warner Bros. Pictures
Based on The Book of Aeri by Indrema Games
Length: 2h05m
Rating: PG - for mild rude humor, sci-fi action, and violence

“The Book of Aeri, is now a movie coming to a theater near you! A joint venture from Amblin, Warner Bros. Pictures, and Indrema Studios.” - post on aeri.indrema.com, the official Book of Aeri website

Indrema’s The Book of Aeri is a 2006 CGI sci-fi action dramedy based on Indrema’s franchise of the same name. It stars the vocal talents (mainly reprised from the games) of James Arnold Taylor, Debi Derryberry, It premiered on July 3rd, 2006 in North America. It grossed $116 million out of a $95 million budget, making it a box office success. Many critics praised the film for its animation, humor, writing, and story. It would serve as a pilot to The Book of Aeri: The Series, which would air later in 2006, produced by Indrema Studios, Warner Bros. Animation, Amblin, and Mainframe Entertainment, airing on Cartoon Network's Toonami block.

STORYLINE:

Aeri, the princess of Xsona, has vanished into a void by a mysterious force known as “The Unknown”. Because Aeri cannot escape the Unknown, even if she wanted to kick some tail, she needs a hero brave and strong enough to get her out of the void. That hero… isn’t what she expected. Or in this case, TWO heroes. Hailing from the suburban city of Plaintown, USA, Joe Anderson, a rebellious, street-smart, yet kind teenager, and his cheerful little brother, Anthony, are visiting their grandparents for the summer. During their visit, Joe and Anthony find a mysterious book in the attic. Once Anthony opens the book, they get inside an unknown world, where Reebo introduces themselves and tells the brothers about Aeri. Because Joe and Anthony aren’t the heroes Aeri’s looking for, her twin brother, Prince Aero, decides to mentor the boys based on The King’s training. Reebo, the boys, and Aero travel across worlds to rescue Aeri, meeting friends and foes, from Boltz, a grumpy loud-mouthed robot bartender, to the Headson family, a family of heads in a jar. Once Aeri is rescued, Aeri, Joe, Anthony, and all of their party members duke it out in Plaintown to defeat the Unknown. When the Unknown is defeated, the titular Book of Aeri is complete. As Anthony and Joe come home, Aeri makes a portal for Joe and Anthony to go to the Book of Aeri universe at will.

PRODUCTION:

After the release and success of The Book of Aeri in 2002, rumors spread that Indrema was in talks with multiple studios to propose a movie based on the game, starting a bidding war between Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Warner Bros. Pictures, Universal Pictures, and Paramount Pictures. Out of all studios, Indrema signed a contract with TimeWarner to adapt Indrema’s IP to make TV shows and movies, while TimeWarner would make games based on its IP (WB, Looney Tunes, Scooby-Doo, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, and Shallow End [2]). A Book of Aeri film was greenlit when the deal with Warner Bros. became official. Many proposals were considered, including a live-action hybrid, but a fully CGI-animated movie. The film used Blender, a free and open-source 3D animation program on Linux workstations. It would be the first feature-length film to be animated in the software. Most of the cast reprised their roles from the video games, with some celebrities, like Mandy Moore as Aeri. [3] Indrema and Indrema Games were heavily involved in the production, translating the video game to the big screen. To promote the film, Indrema partnered with Burger King to make kids' meal toys and showed some scenes from the movies at E3 2006, promoting the DVD playback of Indrema's then upcoming console, the Nova.

RECEPTION:

The film received an 86% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes based on 82 reviews, with a rating of 7.7/10. Its critics’ consensus is “Aeri is the perfect blend of humor, action, drama, and wackiness all packed together with decent animation and an extensive cast.” Metacritic received a “generally favorable” 82 out of 100 based on 46 critics. Audiences from CinemaScore gave the film an “A" on an “A+” to “F” scale. The movie, along with Nintendo’s Superstar Saga, threw the “video game movies suck” stigma out the window, including translating the video game elements to a film that could be enjoyed, even if one wasn’t familiar with the source material. The Austin Chronicle gave it a 4 out of 5, writing “Although the animation might not be the best, the movie makes up for it with its perfect blend of serious moments, clever humor, and wackiness. Kids will love the wacky worlds and humorous characters, while adults can appreciate the action, drama, and the stuff that the kiddos (probably) won’t get. It and Mario and Luigi’s Superstar Saga are the best video game movies, with both Nintendo and Indrema themselves helping in the production of their respective movies.”

LEGACY:

The film has been positively received by fans of the series, with some being first introduced to the characters while watching the movie and/or show. Due to the success of the movie, an untitled sequel would be in the works.

[1] I retconned the movie studio from Universal to Warner Bros. because it’d make more sense because if Indrema and TimeWarner worked on a TV show, what’s stopping them from teaming up for a movie?

[2] besides Homestar Runner (CN just aired the series on TV, while The Brothers Chaps owned the IP, the website it was based on, and the dumb animal characters [what the Chaps call the Homestar cast])

[3] this was initially for a live-action Aeri movie, but I decided to keep Mandy Moore as the voice of Aeri, probably, because I was too lazy to change it. BTW, she’s voiced by Jennifer Hale in the Aeri games and TV show.

[4] Mark Hernandez and Chris and Rob Jackson (aka The Jackson Brothers) are OCs. The latter created The Book of Aeri franchise, while Mark serves as the co-creator (he also is a filmmaker and also directed cutscenes for Stargate/Indrema’s games.)

A nova console from Indrema...

UPDATE: Changed the poster up a bit, including making the book blue and fixed misspelling of Steven Spielberg's name.

Last edited:
Indrema Goes to Hollywood

Indrema’s The Book of Aeri (2006 movie)
gSWqrGj.png

Aeri logo by @ExowareMasses
Produced by: Indrema Studios, Amblin Entertainment
Distributed by: Warner Bros. Pictures
Based on The Book of Aeri by Indrema Games
Length: 2h05m
Rating: PG - for mild rude humor, sci-fi action, and violence

Indrema’s The Book of Aeri is a 2006 CGI sci-fi action dramedy based on Indrema’s franchise of the same name. It stars the vocal talents (mainly reprised from the games) of James Arnold Taylor, Debi Derryberry, It premiered on July 3rd, 2006 in North America. It grossed $116 million out of a $95 million budget, making it a box office success. Many critics praised the film for its animation, humor, writing, and story. It would serve as a pilot to The Book of Aeri: The Series, which would air later in 2006, produced by Indrema Studios, Warner Bros. Animation, Amblin, and Mainframe Entertainment, airing on Cartoon Network's Toonami block.

STORYLINE:

Aeri, the princess of Xsona, has vanished into a void by a mysterious force known as “The Unknown”. Because Aeri cannot escape the Unknown, even if she wanted to kick some tail, she needs a hero brave and strong enough to get her out of the void. That hero… isn’t what she expected. Or in this case, TWO heroes. Hailing from the suburban city of Plaintown, USA, Joe Anderson, a rebellious, street-smart, yet kind teenager, and his cheerful little brother, Anthony, are visiting their grandparents for the summer. During their visit, Joe and Anthony find a mysterious book in the attic. Once Anthony opens the book, they get inside an unknown world, where Reebo introduces themselves and tells the brothers about Aeri. Because Joe and Anthony aren’t the heroes Aeri’s looking for, her twin brother, Prince Aero, decides to mentor the boys based on The King’s training. Reebo, the boys, and Aero travel across worlds to rescue Aeri, meeting friends and foes, from Boltz, a grumpy loud-mouthed robot bartender, to the Headson family, a family of heads in a jar. Once Aeri is rescued, Aeri, Joe, Anthony, and all of their party members duke it out in Plaintown to defeat the Unknown. When the Unknown is defeated, the titular Book of Aeri is complete. As Anthony and Joe come home, Aeri makes a portal for Joe and Anthony to go to the Book of Aeri universe at will.

PRODUCTION:

After the release and success of The Book of Aeri in 2002, rumors spread that Indrema was in talks with multiple studios to propose a movie based on the game, starting a bidding war between Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Warner Bros. Pictures, Universal Pictures, and Paramount Pictures. Out of all studios, Indrema signed a contract with TimeWarner to adapt Indrema’s IP to make TV shows and movies, while TimeWarner would make games based on its IP (WB, Looney Tunes, Scooby-Doo, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, and Shallow End [2]). A Book of Aeri film was greenlit when the deal with Warner Bros. became official. Many proposals were considered, including a live-action hybrid, but a fully CGI-animated movie. The film used Blender, a free and open-source 3D animation program on Linux workstations. It would be the first feature-length film to be animated in the software. Most of the cast reprised their roles from the video games, with some celebrities, like Mandy Moore as Aeri. [3] Indrema and Indrema Games were heavily involved in the production, translating the video game to the big screen. To promote the film, Indrema partnered with Burger King to make kids' meal toys and showed some scenes from the movies at E3 2006, promoting the DVD playback of Indrema's then upcoming console, the Nova.

RECEPTION:

The film received an 86% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes based on 82 reviews, with a rating of 7.7/10. Its critics’ consensus is “Aeri is the perfect blend of humor, action, drama, and wackiness all packed together with decent animation and an extensive cast.” Metacritic received a “generally favorable” 82 out of 100 based on 46 critics. Audiences from CinemaScore gave the film an “A" on an “A+” to “F” scale. The movie, along with Nintendo’s Superstar Saga, threw the “video game movies suck” stigma out the window, including translating the video game elements to a film that could be enjoyed, even if one wasn’t familiar with the source material. The Austin Chronicle gave it a 4 out of 5, writing “Although the animation might not be the best, the movie makes up for it with its perfect blend of serious moments, clever humor, and wackiness. Kids will love the wacky worlds and humorous characters, while adults can appreciate the action, drama, and the stuff that the kiddos (probably) won’t get. It and Mario and Luigi’s Superstar Saga are the best video game movies, with both Nintendo and Indrema themselves helping in the production of their respective movies.”

LEGACY:

The film has been positively received by fans of the series, with some being first introduced to the characters while watching the movie and/or show. Due to the success of the movie, an untitled sequel would be in the works.

[1] I retconned the movie studio from Universal to Warner Bros. because it’d make more sense because if Indrema and TimeWarner worked on a TV show, what’s stopping them from teaming up for a movie?

[2] besides Homestar Runner (CN just aired the series on TV, while The Brothers Chaps owned the IP, the website it was based on, and the dumb animal characters [what the Chaps call the Homestar cast])

[3] this was initially for a live-action Aeri movie, but I decided to keep Mandy Moore as the voice of Aeri, probably, because I was too lazy to change it. BTW, she’s voiced by Jennifer Hale in the Aeri games and TV show.

[4] Mark Hernandez and Chris and Rob Jackson (aka The Jackson Brothers) are OCs. The latter created The Book of Aeri franchise, while Mark serves as the co-creator (he also is a filmmaker and also directed cutscenes for Stargate/Indrema’s games.)

A nova console from Indrema...
That's great! Can't wait to see the new console!

A Nova Generation (Part 1)
A Nova Generation (Part 1)

ConsoleXbox 360PlayStation 3WiiIndrema Nova
Nova Transparent.png
SpecsSame as OTLSame as OTLSame as OTL, although the Wii uses Nintendo’s ES operating system, but the UI is basically the same as OTL
  • Manufacturer: Flextronics
  • CPU: Dual-core AMD “Springfield” x86_64 processor @ 3 GHz
  • GPU: ATI Radeon “Wolfcastle” @ 750 MHz (similar to this IOTL)
  • 512 MB unified GDDR3 RAM + 512 MB DDR2 (for background tasks)
  • Storage: 2.5” SATA drive (upgradable, up to 2TB)
  • Media: DVD, CD, digital
  • Operating system: IndremaOS (Fedora Linux-based)
  • Audio: APCM, Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS 5.1, AAC (analog, TOSLINK, HDMI)
  • Video: HDMI, DVI, component, composite, S-Video, VGA, up to 1080p (but most games ran at 720p max)
  • Connectivity: Wi-Fi, 10/100/1000 Ethernet, Bluetooth
  • Input: 2x front USB 2.0, 2x back, IR receiver
  • Dimensions (LxWxH): 11 in x 10.125 in x 3.5 in

In the beginning of September, retails started accepting pre-orders for the Nova and putting displays in stores counting down to the release date, while retooling the LSeries as an option for people who didn’t want and/or couldn’t afford a Nova, keeping it in production as long as it could before they considered the LSeries obsolete. Not unlike the previous consoles, many people lined up waiting in line to get a Nova a day before the launch of the system. There were two configurations at launch.

Entry ($399.99), containing:
  • Nova (matte white)
  • 40 GB hard drive
  • composite cables
  • one controller
  • power cable
  • documentation
  • A copy of Snark!
Pro ($499.99), containing:
  • Nova (silver)
  • 60 GB hard drive
  • component cables/HDMI cable
  • one controller
  • remote control
  • A copy of THE CONTR@3T
  • Indrema’s The Book of Aeri Movie DVD
The console kept Fedora Linux as a base for the operating system, with a redesigned Launchpad which would be more customizable - it would allow the wallpaper to be changed and the icons rearranged to one’s liking, with additional themes available (including themes that imitated other consoles’ UIs, similar to the LSeries, like the XMB or Blades dashboard). It would be bundled with some apps and features built in.
  • Indrema Store (formerly the Indrema Game Channel) - the store where one can download games and software for the Nova. Although the concept executed like crap with the LSeries due to slower internet speeds in the early 2000s, internet speeds have gotten faster, letting people download full digital copies of games. That's right, full digital copies.
  • My Media - allows photos/music/videos to be played, such as MP3s and DVDs, also allows music to be burned onto CDs and CD music to be ripped onto the hard drive. IT also supports playback from MP3 devices, cameras, and PCs.
  • Indrema TV - Originally intended for the LSeries, this app serves as a program guide for TV, allowing shows to be watched and recorded.
  • WebChannel - a Firefox-based web browser similar to the LSeries’ browser that can access the entire internet with built-in Flash support
  • Search - Self-explanatory - searches files, apps, and the web.
It would also support multitasking, including recording a show while playing a game. Additional RAM was set aside so a game’s performance wouldn’t be affected.

The Nova could play all the discs that the LSeries supported, still using DVD-ROMs as the main storage medium for games, and was backwards compatible with all LSeries games. Indrema even re-released some games, such as Astro Armadillo, Aeri, and Railpunchers as “Nova-Enhanced” games, with upgrades taking advantage of the Nova’s more powerful hardware. Like its predecessor, some games would turn the IndremaGO to a “second screen” when connected to the LSeries, either via USB or Bluetooth.

Although the idea of an upgradable GPU would sound good on paper, Indrema would scrap the Slide Bay that was planned to come to the Nova after it was ditched on the LSeries due to it being impractical for both consumers and developers. Consumers would think it would be unnecessary because a PC could do what the Nova could do, while developers would struggle developing games because it would feel more like making a game a PC than a console. [1] In place was an integrated GPU somewhat faster than the Xbox 360’s. The Nova’s slightly chunky design was a leftover from the original GPU Slide Bay concept. Despite all of this, the Nova was one of the most powerful consoles of the seventh generation.

Unlike other game consoles, who had switched to PowerPC, Indrema decided to move to the x64 architecture, an evolution of the LSeries’ x86 architecture, making it easier for developers to program as the Nova was technically just a PC in a console case. Indrema decided on a processor from AMD over Intel, who supplied the LSeries’ CPU, because of their superior CPUs and 64-bit support, creating a custom Athlon 64-based CPU. Like the LSeries, Indrema encouraged people to mod the system, including a feature allowing the Nova to dual-boot another operating system (like Windows or, heck, even another Linux distro), similar to the PS3’s OtherOS functionality, booting from a CD/DVD, USB, or hard drive. Unofficially, modders found ways to upgrade the RAM and CPU for the system.

Besides a remote control for TV/DVD, and gamepad, Indrema also released a keyboard and mouse for the system, just like the LSeries. [2] A webcam was also released, known as the Noveye [3].

The Nova was the console Indrema had wanted to make since 1999 - a hub for all types of media in one device. What was considered too ambitious was now doable since technology had evolved since the LSeries started development in 1999. It was released on November 30th, 2006 as Indrema shipped units worldwide. (unlike the LSeries, Indrema could now distribute the consoles themselves outside North America) The Nova sold 550,000 units worldwide during the week of the launch.

The Nova was praised for its sleek design, user interface, and innovative features, multimedia capacities, but some criticized the chunkiness of the system. The Nova was a surefire hit with consumers, hackers, and developers.

[1] Retcon: The GPU Slide Bay gets scrapped again before the Nova’s reveal at E3 due to developers being concerned that it would be harder to develop than its competitors.

[2] Something akin to the Phantom Lapboard, but with backlit keys and multimedia buttons (pause, play, rewind, etc.)

[3] pronounced “Nov (as in Nova)-Eye” You’re gonna wait & see what the Noveye can offer.

The Nova Gallery (and yes, the Nova looks kinda different from what was previously shown because I wanted something that didn’t look like it was asking for a lawsuit with Microsoft 🙃 another retcon…)

Launch titles for the Nova, and maybe a filler post before that

An announcement to make...
(This isn't the real filler post, in case you're wondering.)

I'm kinda retconning some stuff to make it seem more plausible. Pokémon and Digimon are no longer swapped (got inspired by Nivek to do that) and I'm making it akin to OTL a bit more, but still kinda different. Mario's World has moved to Cartoon Network (and is still one of its popular non-Cartoon Cartoon shows), while the rest of CN, Nick, and Disney remain the same. What does it mean for the Indrema stuff? They're staying. Plus, Indrema doesn't even consider Nintendo to be a threat for now (also making fun of their "kiddy" image, which they kinda ironically took), wanting to compete with Microsoft and Sony.
Anyways, I've edited some of the TL to reflect that change.

(This isn't the real filler post, in case you're wondering.)

I'm kinda retconning some stuff to make it seem more plausible. Pokémon and Digimon are no longer swapped (got inspired by Nivek to do that) and I'm making it akin to OTL a bit more, but still kinda different. Mario's World has moved to Cartoon Network (and is still one of its popular non-Cartoon Cartoon shows), while the rest of CN, Nick, and Disney remain the same. What does it mean for the Indrema stuff? They're staying. Plus, Indrema doesn't even consider Nintendo to be a threat for now (also making fun of their "kiddy" image, which they kinda ironically took), wanting to compete with Microsoft and Sony.
Anyways, I've edited some of the TL to reflect that change.
Okay, but how do Fox Kids and Fox Family survive after 2004 ITTL if they don’t have Pokémon or Mario’s World?