Ok, this is specific, but how bout alternate ancient history with zombies?

Thanks! That looks cool! Somehow this made me think maybe there was a movie with zombies in American Civil War... or am I getting that mixed up?

Thanks! That looks cool! Somehow this made me think maybe there was a movie with zombies in American Civil War... or am I getting that mixed up?
Well, there was one with Confederate vampires, in Abraham Lincoln, vampire hunter; and an episode of "Legends of Tomorow", with the heroes vs Confederate zombies

Well, there was one with Confederate vampires, in Abraham Lincoln, vampire hunter; and an episode of "Legends of Tomorow", with the heroes vs Confederate zombies
that's one of my favorite concepts for vampires in a modernish setting, that they use the slave trade as a source of food. there was even an SNES game called Illusion of Gaia that included that, where the dual bosses of the third dungeon (a vampire husband and wife named Jack and Silvana) had been doing so for a while and then made their move and seized apparently the entire population of a town you passed through previously which had been a front for the slave trade, including the slavers themselves (the implication is that the town is an analogue for apartheid South Africa, so...karma?)

Also not ancient history, but I really enjoyed Deck Z (AKA, zombies on the Titanic). Not only was it a fun zombie yarn, they clearly did their homework on the Titanic and those aboard.

Zombies on Titanic sounds great! I must find this one. Deck Z? Does that mean it starts with the poor passengers? Why not the wealthy? You know, zombies as metaphor for greed. In that Freaks and Greeks book I like the zombies are kind of metaphor for power - the main character, Miltiades, gets 'infected' by love of power (very minor spoiler alert).
I think the movie I was thinking about with US Civil War and zombies was maybe cannibals, not zombies (kind of close, right?).

You could try Cherie Priest's Clockwork Century series.

US Civil war continues into the 1880s, Steampunk mecha, undead, superweapons of the pulp type, and the like.