Oh I Wish I Was in Dixie: A Different North America

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well of course the South's gonna have better food than the North!

In all seriousness, though, what are sports like in North America?
In Dixie and Texas, American football is the most popular sport with baseball in second in both of them. In the Commonwealth and Quebec, baseball is by far the most popular sport overall, but hockey, football, and soccer all have sizable regional popularity. Basketball never really expands outside New England where there it is the second most popular sport after baseball. There are North American tournaments for all of the biggest sports where teams from Dixie, Texas, Quebec, and the Commonwealth compete against each other. The Baseball World Series, which is held biennially, is routinely the most watched broadcast in all four countries the year it is played.

Last edited:
In Dixie and Texas, American football is the most popular sport with baseball in second in both of them. In the Commonwealth and Quebec, baseball is by far the most popular sport overall, but hockey, football, and soccer all have sizable regional popularity. Basketball never really expands outside New England where there it is the second most popular sport after baseball. There are annual North American tournaments for all of the biggest sports where teams from Dixie, Texas, Quebec, and the Commonwealth compete against each other. The Baseball World Series, which is held biennially, is routinely the most watched broadcast in all four countries the year it is played.
Are there any leagues in these countries similar to the NFL, MLB, etc.?

TYqWcDb.png
sorry for the dumb question, but how does one create something like this?

sorry for the dumb question, but how does one create something like this?
I already had the outline and then just free-hand drew all the borders for each map and filled in the rest, using paint.net for it all. And then just arranged them all and added the text.

Mitch Landrieu
Mitch Landrieu
Mitch Landrieu.png

Mitchell Joseph Landrieu
(/ˈlændruː/ LAN-droo; born August 16, 1960) is the 39th and current president of the Federated States of Dixie, first election in 2018. He is the first francophone to be elected president. Landrieu is the son of former Dixie House of Delegates Majority Leader Moon Landrieu and is the brother of Louisiana Senator Mary Landrieu.

A Unionist, Landrieu entered politics in 1988 when he was elected to the Louisiana House of Delegates, replacing his sister who retired to successfully run for Treasurer of Louisiana that year. He served 4 terms in the Louisiana House until he was elected as Lieutenant Governor of Louisiana in 2000 and served under Parti La Louisiane Governor Kathleen Blanco for two terms. In his 2006 reelection campaign for Lt. Governor, Landrieu won the nomination of the PLL as well as the Unionist Party and won that election without any major party challengers.

In 2012, Landrieu ran for governor to replace the term-limited Blanco. Landrieu once again won the nominations of both the Unionists and the PLL; this is the first time a gubernatorial candidate won the nominations of both parties. In the general election, Landrieu faced National Party nominee Louisiana State Delegate Eric Skrmetta. Landrieu easily defeated the poorly funded Skrmetta winning every parish in Louisiana except for Crawford Parish, Skrmetta's home parish. Landrieu won the governorship by a larger margin than anybody since the 1960's.

In 2018, rather than run for reelection as governor of Louisiana, Landrieu decided to run for the Unionist nomination for President of Dixie. Landrieu, who was first seen as having a longshot at the nomination, was able to defeat the expected frontrunner Vice President Mark Pryor by attacking Pryor's supposed corruption in the Pryor-Lynch Affair and emphasizing on his own capable, liberal administration as governor of Louisiana. At the 2018 Unionist Convention, Landrieu was officially nominated for president, and he endorsed Virginia Senator Tim Kaine for the nomination for the Vice Presidential election.

Early in the election, Landrieu was seen by many as not having a very good chance at the presidency because of his previous small spotlight on the national stage, his status as a francophone in an country with a large anglophone majority, and his opponent, National Party "rising star", Florida Senator Marco Rubio, who was considered to be a very strong opponent. Kaine, as the governor and senator of the largest state in Dixie and seat of government for the country, was quite well known and his opponent was Missouri Governor Linda Lingle, who was also not well-known on the national stage. In the first round of the election, Landrieu performed 6 points worse than Kaine.

In the second round however, the two Unionist nominees would see their positions swap. Rubio decided to skip the 2018 PLL Convention rather than compete with Landrieu for the PLL's endorsement, which he saw as obviously going to Landrieu no matter what. Afterwards, Rubio's popularity with francophone PLL members dropped dramatically in Louisiana, West Florida, and Missouri. Landrieu was able to outperform Rubio in the presidential debates, and his favorability increased after every one.

In the election, Landrieu defeated Rubio by 5 percentage points and carried 8 states including the normally National state of West Florida, which Landrieu was able to win thanks to his impressive performance among francophones. Kaine was defeated by Lingle in the vice-presidential election. This is the first time there has been a president and vice president from different parties since the 1980's.

As president, Landrieu would restructure the bureaucracy of the executive branch, particularly with regards to ethics investigations and whistle-blower protections after the allegations from the Pryor-Lynch Affair harmed public trust in the federal government. He also appointed his former running mate, Tim Kaine as his Secretary of State. Since becoming president, Landrieu's most notable accomplishment was the passage of the Dixie Health and Medical Service Efficiency and Effectiveness Act of 2019 which makes significant reforms to the Dixie Health Service. Since its passage, the conservative wing of the National Party have began to act much more aggressively towards him.

2012 Louisiana Guberatorial Election.png

Last edited:
I know I'm rather annoying with all my questions, but I haven't seen anything ITTL indicating the presence of the Covid-19 pandemic. Does it still occur ITTL?

I know I'm rather annoying with all my questions, but I haven't seen anything ITTL indicating the presence of the Covid-19 pandemic. Does it still occur ITTL?

Why would that still occur in a TL with a POD in the 18th century? I'm sure that there are other pandemics that have occurred that could be roughly analogous to OTL ones.

Last edited:
No, I don't plan on the Covid-19 pandemic to appear ITTL right now.
The people of TTL are lucky!

As I've said before, I don't want to bother you too much with my irritating questions, but it's hard with such an extensive TL. SO, here's another one;

What's New Orleans-based musicians like Louis Armstrong, Fats Domino and Dr John doing ITTL? Are they Francophone?

The people of TTL are lucky!

As I've said before, I don't want to bother you too much with my irritating questions, but it's hard with such an extensive TL. SO, here's another one;

What's New Orleans-based musicians like Louis Armstrong, Fats Domino and Dr John doing ITTL? Are they Francophone?
New Orleans, even though is primarily francophone, is a very bilingual city, and as a result all three of them have music in both English and French/French Creole although their English music is their most popular. Armstrong, though, gets popular with his work in St. Louis rather than New Orleans, and all three of them reach a similar level of popularity ITTL though it is a bit more regional than it is in OTL.

do we have a map for the commonwealth
Yes, I made a map for it here.

Don’t know if I missed it, but what happened to the Cherokee, Chickasaw, Creek & other major tribes ITTL? On one hand I’d expect with longer British overlordship they may have faired better. On the other hand this is a nation founded by Andrew Jackson.

Don’t know if I missed it, but what happened to the Cherokee, Chickasaw, Creek & other major tribes ITTL? On one hand I’d expect with longer British overlordship they may have faired better. On the other hand this is a nation founded by Andrew Jackson.
I talked about it a bit when I wrote about Andrew Jackson. He was a leader of a coalition of militias in the British Colonies that started a military campaign against the Cherokee, Creek, and Chickasaw and forced most of them out west to Oklahoma. This campaign is known as the Cherokee War as most of the fighting was against the Cherokee in particular. By this point, the British had mostly given up on keeping colonial settlers off of Native land (the Proclamation Line was almost completely ignored and was eventually scrapped altogether), and the British allowed the fighting to happen. The Cherokee War is what made Jackson such a well-known figure in the region before the War of Independence. After the Cherokee War, only a small number of Native Americans remained in what would eventually become Dixie.

New Orleans, even though is primarily francophone, is a very bilingual city, and as a result all three of them have music in both English and French/French Creole although their English music is their most popular. Armstrong, though, gets popular with his work in St. Louis rather than New Orleans, and all three of them reach a similar level of popularity ITTL though it is a bit more regional than it is in OTL.

I'm really impressed of how you got answers for everything you're asked about TTL, even relatively obscure things or people like Fats Domino and Dr John (I considered putting Professor Longhair among the mentioned musicians, but I decided he was too obscure). Have you planned it before or do you "improvise", so to say?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.