Oh I Wish I Was in Dixie: A Different North America

Status
Not open for further replies.
2012 Presidential and Vice Presidential Elections
2012 Dixie Presidential Election

In the 2012 Dixie Presidential Election Virginia Senator Jim Webb defeated National Senator Newt Gingrich by 1.2% the closest presidential election since 1988. Webb who was fairly unknown before the election defeated vice-president Mike Espy, who was appointed VP by Sam Nunn following John Edward’s resignation from the presidency in 2009, in the primaries. Following the Edwards scandal, the Unionist Party became deeply unpopular with the National Party leading the Unionists in almost every poll. Once Webb and Gingrich won their respective primaries however, the gap in the polls between the parties began to shrink. Webb was on the more conservative end of the senate Unionists and was a critic of Edwards. Gingrich was one of the loudest voices calling for Edwards to be removed from office but has garnered attention as a strong conservative firebrand. Webb ended up winning by a narrow margin and became the first Unionist President to with without winning Kentucky.
2012 Presidential Election Wiki.png

In the 2012 vice presidential election Arkansas Senator Mark Pryor defeated former Virginia governor Bob McDonnel. While Gingrich was seen as too controversial, McDonnel was seen as too boring and uncharismatic. McDonnel was also criticized for running for VP despite not being a Senator, something that has become an expected qualification for the President of the Senate. Pryor became well known as a close supporter of Nunn both when he was VP and President.
2012 Vice-Presidential Election Wiki.png

I love that the VP is both elected separately and has an actual role in government; the latter is a definite flaw in most Presidential systems.

2019 Maryland Provincial Election

In 2019, the Labor Party held its majority in its strongest continental province. Labor Premier Nancy Pelosi is the longest serving current premier in the Commonwealth of America and in Commonwealth history serving in that position for 17 years so far since 2002. The Labor Party lends its strength in Maryland to the high proportion of African-Americans that live in the province (which has the highest proportion of African-Americans in the Continental Commonwealth).

2019 Maryland Provincial Elections Wiki.png

2018 Maryland Provincial Election.png

In 2019, the Labor Party held its majority in its strongest continental province. Labor Premier Nancy Pelosi is the longest serving current premier in the Commonwealth of America and in Commonwealth history serving in that position for 17 years so far since 2002. The Labor Party lends its strength in Maryland to the high proportion of African-Americans that live in the province (which has the highest proportion of African-Americans in the Continental Commonwealth).

View attachment 494225

As a proud Marylander myself, all I can say is... that's so cool! Love that we have VA's part of Delmarva.

One critique I might give is that the Eastern Shore tends to be very conservative, so them favoring Nancy Pelosi at all is a bit unlikely. Otherwise, great stuff!

View attachment 494225

As an ex-Marylander, this map has my stamp of approval; really neat stuff you've done here!

What's Richard Ojeda doing ITTL?

When deciding, keep in mind he was born in Minnesota, not West Virginia, so he'd probably be American rather than Dixian

What's Richard Ojeda doing ITTL?

When deciding, keep in mind he was born in Minnesota, not West Virginia, so he'd probably be American rather than Dixian
He was born in Minnesota in OTL, but as the best I can find, his family still seems to mostly be from West Virginia. I currently have him as a House of Delegates member from Virginia's 32nd district.

How do term limits work ITTL? Can you serve as long as you want as Vice President (Like Long)? And then a single term similar to OTL Mexico?

How do term limits work ITTL? Can you serve as long as you want as Vice President (Like Long)? And then a single term similar to OTL Mexico?
The Vice Presidency has no term limits and you can elected as many times as you want. You only be elected to the presidency once, but you can serve longer if you come to the presidency by different means. Like Henry Hatfield who was elected to a full term after rising to the presidency after the death of John Davis. Or Long who was elected as president, then became VP, and rose back to his old office after the death of Stevenson.

Is there any chance you could flesh out a bit more the 1st Revolution which failed and the 2nd Revolution that succeeded? Just curious how it all played out and what happened to key players like Hamilton, Washington, Jefferson, etc.

2006 Presidential and Vice Presidential Dixie Elections
2006 Presidential Election

In 2006, North Carolina Senator John Edwards was elected president defeating former governor Mike Huckabee. Edwards became the first Unionist candidate to win the election without winning Huckabee's native Arkansas. Going into the election, it was believed that Louisiana would be winnable for the Nationals due to the fierce backlash against the Unionists and President Graham in their handling of Hurricane Douglas in 2005. But the Nationals nominated Huckabee, who was probably the most hated politician in Dixie by francophones due to him vetoing a bill that would remake French an official language in Arkansas while he was governor. The Parti La Louisiane who signaled that they would most likely be endorsing the National candidate instead voted to endorse Edwards at their convention. Edwards ended up carrying Louisiana by 4.8% with there being a sharp electoral contrast between the Anglo and French populations in Southern Louisiana and West Florida. Edwards would later resign in late 2009 due to allegations of misuse of government funds to cover up an affair.
2006 Presidential Wiki.png

2006 Vice Presidential Election

In the VP election, incumbent VP Sam Nunn easily cruised to reelection against Tennessee senator Fred Thompson. Nunn is the first vice president to run for a second turn since Howard Baker in 1982. Nunn was very popular in Dixie and this race was never thought to be competitive. During the nominating process, rumors swirled about the National's trouble to find a candidate for the election. They finally settled on Thompson who had already announced his retirement from the Senate at the time. Allegedly, the Nationals had to pretty much force Thompson to even campaign for the position after nominated and audio leaked in early May of Thompson saying, "I can't wait to lose so this damn campaign can be over." Nunn is the first Pres. or VP nominee to win every state since Long in 1952.
2006 Vice-Presidential Wiki.png

Is there any chance you could flesh out a bit more the 1st Revolution which failed and the 2nd Revolution that succeeded? Just curious how it all played out and what happened to key players like Hamilton, Washington, Jefferson, etc.
The first revolution wasn't really a true revolution, it was more like a period of unrest due to dissatisfaction with the British. None of the colonies actually formally declared independence. There was never any Proclamation Line of 1763 so there were less tensions due to it.

The most important things to come from the 1st revolution were the political writing of figures living in the colonies at the time such as Jefferson and Madison who would heavily influence the Dixie Revolutionaries, and the writings of Hamilton and Adams who would influence important figures in America before confederation such as Dewitt Clinton and Van Buren. Both of whom would be involved in the Northeastern Union, an informal grouping of a few colonies that would be the groundwork for the eventual Commonwealth.

Just caught up.

I like it.

same, it's really good

I just wish there was more content that isn't modern politics, the premise of a Southern Dominion that revolted in the 19th century is fascinating, but i find its potential underdevelopped, i would love to learn more about the history, the culture of the FSD, and i find the lack of content on racial relations and their histories weird (in a country that would have 30 millions+ afro-dixie likely, maybe up to a third of its population being afro-dixie, racial relations would be THE most important part of its history). I really liked your Battle of Baltimore update, i would love to see more things about the Independance war, another area i'd love to see are the divisions within the Francophone, particularly the division between Francophone afro-dixie and whites (as well as the use of creole, and its relation with french).

As i said, i'm really liking this timeline, it's refreshing take on an independant american south different from the Nth victorious CSA (not that a CSA timeline can't be made interesting, but most people don't bother making it interesting), maybe making Elections infobox is what you really love, and frankly that's fine, you're killing it with these! But i think Dixie would be fascinating to explore from a different angle, and i've met other people with similar opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.