Oh I Wish I Was in Dixie: A Different North America

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hancock-Keweenaw* but yeah, I was thinking him for it. He's my OTL state rep, and my former psychologist even knows him and thinks he's unfit to be a representative lol. So he'd make a great candidate for a bad provincial MP
This guy could work for Houghton, he was a primary opponent of Markkanen's in 2018
All of Houghton and Keweenaw counties are are actually in the same district. The northern part is an island right? That's why the line is there. Although maybe the basemap I traced over exaggerated the space between them a bit lol.

Also slightly unrelated but can I just say God bless state legislature websites that give the town of residence for their legislators.

All of Houghton and Keweenaw counties are are actually in the same district. The northern part is an island right? That's why the line is there. Although maybe the basemap I traced over exaggerated the space between them a bit lol.
Ohh, I see. Yeah it's technically an island but only because of a canal

For the Liberal districts in OTL Northwestern Ontario, at least the really big one should be either Labor or Progressive, since they have a pretty high native population OTL. Unless natives are more conservative in this TL of course, then disregard this whole comment.
That area went Conservative in the 2011 Canadian election so I figured it wouldn't be too out of the picture for that district to go Liberal.

Edit: Especially with Labor and Progressives splitting the vote

Superior 2019 American Election Article
Contribution: Daily Mining Gazette (Houghton, Superior based newspaper) 10/4/2019 reporting on MGA Greg Markkanen challenging Energy Minister Scott Dianda for his seat in the upcoming federal election (approved by Roxy)

qCwSOG6.png

Adlai I and George Clooney
Infoboxes for 2 Kentucky Politicians

First we have Adlai Stevenson I who is famous for being the shortest serving president in the history of Dixie. He was elected to the vice-presidency the same year as Democratic Virginia Senator John Daniel was to the presidency in 1904. Stevenson would not run for president or reelection come 1910. In the 1910 Presidential Election Populist William Jennings Bryan would win the presidency, however just 5 days before Bryan's inaguration, Daniel would die of a brain hemorrhage causing Stevenson to serve just the remaining 5 days of his predecessor's term. Stevenson's extremely short time in office even beat Zachary Taylor who died just 8 days into his term after he caught a stomach bug at his inauguration dinner. Stevenson would be the only president in Dixie history to never have a vice president while in office. Stevenson's grandson Adlai Stevenson II would also serve as president being elected in 1958, but he too would not serve full term due to him dying in a plane crash in 1961.
Adlai I.png

House of Delegates member George Clooney would be elected to Kentucky's 22nd district in 2012 following his father's retirement from that seat. Clooney has quickly risen up the ranks in House leadership and is now the Chair of the House Unionist Caucus- the 4th highest member of the House Unionists, after Speaker Heath Shuler of North Carolina, Chief Whip Jim Clyburn of South Carolina, and Assistant Speaker Dina Titus of Georgia. Clooney has been mentioned as a possible speaker in the future should Shuler step down for some reason.
Clooney.png

Last edited:
Random question: is Arkansas still pronounced like OTL in TTL or is it pronounced like "are Kansas" like a lot of Arkansas people wanted it to be back in the day?

2017 Vermont Provincial Election

In the 2017 Vermont general elections, Premier David Zuckerman and the Progressive-Labor Party (which was a merger of the two parties in the late 80's to help combat the Liberals in this traditionally heavily Liberal province) kept their majority. The PLP did however lose some ground mostly to the Green Party which in Vermont is much more centrist than their national counterparts. Vermont is one of nine provinces to not use FTTP in their provincial elections and instead use STV.

2017 Vermont Provincial Election Wiki.png

Last edited:
Random question: is Arkansas still pronounced like OTL in TTL or is it pronounced like "are Kansas" like a lot of Arkansas people wanted it to be back in the day?
God, I hope it's pronounced Arkansas :p
There's a bunch of French in this area so let's say that the Anglo-heavy parts of the state towards the northwest pronounce it Arkan-sas and the more French parts along the Mississippi pronounce it Arkan-saw. There is no official pronunciation due to arguments between the groups on the pronunciation.

There's a bunch of French in this area so let's say that the Anglo-heavy parts of the state towards the northwest pronounce it Arkan-sas and the more French parts along the Mississippi pronounce it Arkan-saw. There is no official pronunciation due to arguments between the groups on the pronunciation.
I was right. Arkansas :p

In the 2017 Vermont general elections, Premier David Zuckerman and the Progressive-Labor Party (which was a merger of the two parties in the late 80's to help combat the Liberals in this traditionally heavily Liberal state) kept their majority. The PLP did however lose some ground mostly to the Green Party which in Vermont is much more centrist than their national counterparts. Vermont is one of nine states to not use FTTP in their provincial elections and instead use STV.

View attachment 493531
Vermont uses STV? That's actually pretty cool

Also can you do Wisconsin next? I can't wait to see D o y l e

2016 Wisconsin Provincial Election
2016 Wisconsin Provincial Election

In 2016 Labor Premier Jim Doyle kept his and his party's majority. Doyle is the second longest currently service Premier in the Commonwealth of America having served in that position for 15 years since 2004, two years shorter than the longest currently serving premier, Labor Premier Nancy Pelosi of Maryland. The Wisconsin Labor Party was able to keep their majority in the Wisconsin general assembly despite losing nearly 1/5 of their popular vote support from 2013 and getting below 40% of the total vote.

2016 Wisconsin Provincial Election Wiki 2.png

2016 Wisconsin Provincial Elections.png

Last edited:
Oh I definitely want to see Maryland now that you mentioned Pelosi and her being the longest-serving premier in TTL's US!

Status
Not open for further replies.