Oh I Wish I Was in Dixie: A Different North America

Status
Not open for further replies.
Map of Dixie
Map 2.png

Hello, I've finally decided to make a thread dedicated to my independent Dixie timeline.

For the backstory: After the French-and-Indian War, Great Britain takes possession of France's territories west of the Mississippi (which are much more populated than in OTL) instead of Spain. GBR then reorganizes the entirety of their North American colonies into North and South with the Ohio River and the Maxon-Dixon being the main demarcation lines.

The American Revolution happens but is put down eventually as the North and the South are reluctant to join forces. The French Revolution still takes place and Napoleon still comes to power. During the Napoleonic Wars, the stress put on the colonies by the British causes the rebellion to start anew (largely spurned on the the sizable French minorities in both the North and the South), but it is put down in the North. In the South however the rebels have much more success and are eventually able to win their independence under General Andrew Jackson.

Now the South is an independent presidential republic while the North (which includes most of modern day Canada) forms the Commonwealth of America.

I will mostly be posting maps, wikiboxes and pages, and graphics that I make for this timeline. I would greatly appreciate suggestions and contributions if people wish to make them.

I've linked all the previous posts I've made for this TL that I haven't altered since.

Previous Posts:
Dixie Map
French Population of Dixie
Dick Gephardt
1937 Dixie House Elections
2018 Unionist Party Primaries
Dixie Supreme Court
Mitch Landrieu's Cabinet
Commonwealth of America Map
2014 COA Election
2001, 2004, 2009 COA Elections
2009 Texas Presidential Election
2018 Texas Presidential Election

2018 Dixie Presidential and Vice-Presidential Elections
2018 Dixie Presidential and Vice-Presidential Elections.

The 2018 presidential election saw Unionist candidate, Louisiana governor Mitch Landrieu defeating National candidate, Florida Senator Marco Rubio in a larger than expected margin. This would be the 14th consecutive presidential election won by the Unionist Party and the election of the first Francophone president. However, the vice-presidential election was much less good for the Unionists with Virginia Senator Tim Kaine unexpectedly losing to South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley. Haley would be the first National Vice-President elected since Howard Baker in 1982. Kaine would later be appointed Secretary of State by now-president Landrieu.

2018 Presidential and V Election.png

2018 Dixie Congressional Elections
2018 Dixie Congressional Elections

In the 2018 Congressional Elections, the Unionists managed to gain back the absolute majorities they held prior to the 2015 midterms and ending the coalitions they formed with the Social Democratic Party in the House and the Parti La Louisiane in the Senate.

2018 Congressional Election Wiki.png

How did the flag arise?
The flag was designed shortly after the founding of the nation with originally only 11 stars for the eleven original states with 2 being added later as Florida and West Florida were admitted. (To be honest I'm not very good at all with making flags)

How are African Americans being treated in the FTD?
Today they have equal status as whites under the law, but gained equality much later in this timeline. Slavery doesn't get fully abolished until 1898 under President Watson and civil rights don't come until the "Equal Rights Era" which is generally considered as 1970-1988 under presidents Pepper, Carter, and Finch who where supportive of it especially Finch.

What kinds of policies does the Unionist party support? I assume it'd have to be a really big tent to win consecutively for 30 years. And does the VP have any special powers?

What challenges African-Dixies face in their daily life? How’s healthcare and are there difference of access between white Dixies (southerner? southron?) and black Dixies? How expensive is education and is it subsidised for poorer people, are African dixies effectively residentially segregated within cities to a large extent?

I have to admit that the picture you paint where civil rights didn’t happen until the 70s-80s sounds quite grim, and the country looks quite unequal.
Also was there significant migration of African-dixies to the rest of North America? Because if there wasn’t there would be about 35 millions or so of them in dixie, which would likely represent a large minority of the population

Anyeay, i’m Glad you started a thread because these infobox seemed interesting, good luck in your timeline, it looks good

Are the President and Vice president elected separately?
Yes, they are elected and nominated on completely separate which means there have been several party splits between the two positions, but there has only been one time when a president resigned or died and was replaced with a VP of a different party: when Democrat John Davis was assassinated in 1925 and replaced with National Henry Hatfield.

What kinds of policies does the Unionist party support? I assume it'd have to be a really big tent to win consecutively for 30 years. And does the VP have any special powers?
The Unionists are a broad Center-Right to Left party, and has a high emphasis on rural issues traditionally (though in recent years have become more popular with urban areas as well). They tend to be big on economic populism and are much more protectionist and (while not completely anti-immigration) tend to be less pro-immigration than the Nationals. On social issues the party pretty much runs the gamut between religious social conservatives and open social liberals.

Yes the VP is the President of the Senate and unlike the US's VP, wields considerable power in the body. Similar to the Lt. Governors of states like TX, MS, and AL. The senators vote for a President Pro Tempore among them who is generally the leader of the biggest party and takes the VP's role when they are absent. The Senate can also with a 2/3's vote declare the VP absent from the chamber even if they are not and the President PT takes on the VP's role until the Senate votes to recognize the VP. (This rarely happens though)

What challenges African-Dixies face in their daily life? How’s healthcare and are there difference of access between white Dixies (southerner? southron?) and black Dixies? How expensive is education and is it subsidised for poorer people, are African dixies effectively residentially segregated within cities to a large extent?

I have to admit that the picture you paint where civil rights didn’t happen until the 70s-80s sounds quite grim, and the country looks quite unequal.
Also was there significant migration of African-dixies to the rest of North America? Because if there wasn’t there would be about 35 millions or so of them in dixie, which would likely represent a large minority of the population

Anyeay, i’m Glad you started a thread because these infobox seemed interesting, good luck in your timeline, it looks good
African-Dixians tend to be much much poorer than White-Dixians, although those that live in rural areas usually more well-off and live much closer lives to their white counterparts than black people that live in cities where black poverty, income-racial disparity, and unofficial segregation is through the roof. Migration did occur in Dixie though at a lesser extent than in OTL with most black migrants moving to the Commonwealth to the north. Today African-Dixians make up just under 30% of the total population of Dixie and Mississippi is currently the only majority black state.

Most healthcare in Dixie is handled by the Dixie Health and Medical Service or the DHMS which is run by the Department of Health and Human Services and was implemented by President Pepper in 1973. ~80% of Dixians rely on the DHMS as their primary means of healthcare, although quality of service can be very inconsistent within the DHMS.

Upper education is generally handled by the states and this has led to wide disparities of quality and price between states. The Department of Education has tried to close these differences they still exist and does provide relief to lower-income students. Virginia is usually considered the cheapest state to get a good education in while Florida is the most expensive.

Last edited:
The flag was designed shortly after the founding of the nation with originally only 11 stars for the eleven original states with 2 being added later as Florida and West Florida were admitted. (To be honest I'm not very good at all with making flags)
It's not bad it just needs some tweaking and a history.
I'd suggest reversing the colours. That way you can start from the expected red ensign for "British Dixie".
So the red ensign features a white diamond with a blue symbol, a rose perhaps. Then the rebels start buy cutting off the half with the British flag, giving you a squarish red flag with white diamond and blue symbol.
This is then modified to give you your blue stars on white diamond on red. Perhaps different length flags - e.g. square for war and rectangle for regular

2018 Gubernatorial Elections of Dixie
2018 Gubernatorial Elections of Dixie

Alabama: Unionist Tuscaloosa Mayor Walt Maddox defeated incumbent National governor Tim James.
Louisiana: Incumbent governor Mitch Landrieu was running for president instead of for a 2nd term. La Louisiane Senate President Eric LaFleur defeated Unionist state senator Rick Gallot to replace him.
Mississippi: Unionist lt. governor Omeria Scott was elected over National state house member Robert Foster to replace term limited governor Jim Hood. (MS is the only state to have a 1 term limit on governors)

3.png

Missouri: Unionist AG Chris Koster defeated National Lt. Governor Peter Kinder to replace the term-limited Jay Nixon.
Tennessee: State house speaker Beth Harwell defeated incumbent governor Ron Ramsey in the primary and defeated Unionist state house member Craig Fitzhugh in the general.
Virginia: Incumbent Unionist governor Ward Armstrong was reelected defeating National state senator Bill Bolling.

3 2.png

Flags of Dixie
It's not bad it just needs some tweaking and a history.
I'd suggest reversing the colours. That way you can start from the expected red ensign for "British Dixie".
So the red ensign features a white diamond with a blue symbol, a rose perhaps. Then the rebels start buy cutting off the half with the British flag, giving you a squarish red flag with white diamond and blue symbol.
This is then modified to give you your blue stars on white diamond on red. Perhaps different length flags - e.g. square for war and rectangle for regular
Okay, so I took your suggestions and this is what I've got.

Flag of British South America:
The colonial flag for British South America as Dixie was called then implemented in 1791. The flower on the right-center is the American Dogwood.
British Flag.png

The Dogwood Flag:
During the Dixie Independence War the Union Jack half of the flag is cut off by the rebels and the remaining half known as the Dogwood Flag is unofficially used over the course of the war and is still unofficially used today as a symbol of national pride. The National Party reportedly gets their yellow color from the center of the Dogwood Flag.
Dogwood Flag.png

The 11 Star Flag:
The first official flag of Dixie adopted in 1827 is based off the Dogwood flag with a darker red and 11 stars representing the 11 states at the time of adoption.
First Flag.png

The 13 Star Flag:
The current flag of Dixie was adopted in 1841 with the proportions of the flag changing from square to 3:5 and added 2 more stars for the newly joined states of Florida and West Florida.
Flag.png

Last edited:
What's the rest of North America like?
This map shows most of what it's like. Quebec was originally part of the Commonwealth but gained independence after a successful referendum in 1976 and is currently a parliamentary republic. Texas won independence from Mexico like in OTL but Dixie refused to annex them due to opposition from the Nationals and President Henry Clay because of fears of war with Mexico. The Russians never sold Alaska and it became a refuge for the Romanovs during the Civil War against the Soviets. Russia is now a democratic republic while Alaska is a semi-constitutional monarchy. There have been talks of reuniting the two countries, but Alaska's insistence on keeping the monarchy spoils any potential deal.

List of Dixie Senators
Members of the Dixie Senate

Senators are chosen similarly to the Australian Senate with each state getting 6 senators.

Senate Pt. 1.png

Senate Pt. 2.png

Senate Pt. 3.png

Senate Pt. 4.png

Status
Not open for further replies.