Of Rajahs and Hornbills: A timeline of Brooke Sarawak

You mean everything but cutting parasitic nobles off from government revenue?

Well, you can do that. And get yourself overthrown.

Old Bruneian monarchy didn't operate in the exact same way as those in the Malay Peninsula. Instead, royal power was exercised in a quasi-patronage system that was scaled to incredible levels. The taxes in coin and regional products I told earlier? Traditionally, the sultan was responsible for spreading the royal largesse from the sales of such goods to the nobility and regional lords, whom would give their loyalty in return. This ensured a gigantic show of support for the monarchy across coastal Borneo and the Philippines, but it also means that many local lords are only loyal to said largesse, not the actual state. If the Bruneian sultan was unable to sustain the patronage system, his influence would wane, and the nobles could choose another one by themselves. By force, if necessary.

It was this fickle loyalty that partially allowed Sarawak to annex so much Bruneian territory; some of the local lords and chieftains were never truly loyal to Brunei, and saw where the wind was blowing.

But with all this, it should be noted that during her golden age, the Bruneian Empire was among the richest, if not the richest, traditional Malay sultanate in Southeast Asia, with taxes and tribute contributing to the buildup of an incredibly enormous palace court and regional nobility. James Brooke himself noted after his takeover of Kuching that Bandar Brunei was immensely wealthy in trade, with traders coming as far as China and Yemen. The fact that even after Brooke Sarawak annexed most of Brunei's lands and housed a number of ex-Bruneian nobles, Bandar Brunei's remaining nobility was so large it dovetailed state finances into bankruptcy speaks of just how formerly wealthy the sultanate was.

Last edited:
Thus, the problem was that even after the grandson was no longer serving a useful purpose, he was still a nobleman with a personal guard who had a good chance of taking part in a successful coup? Because Brunei did not let go of noble families gradually as the function they served disappeared?

Thus, the problem was that even after the grandson was no longer serving a useful purpose, he was still a nobleman with a personal guard who had a good chance of taking part in a successful coup? Because Brunei did not let go of noble families gradually as the function they served disappeared?

Hyup. See our East Malaysian politics for example.

Sabah politicians jump ship causing the downfall of Sabah UMNO. Sarawak held on by the iron will of Taib and state coffers, which this year's budget was the largest ever. Eventhough the Finance Minister pointed out that almost all of it are not liquid asset.

Hyup. See our East Malaysian politics for example.

I am wary of correlating historical patterns to current issues; in history, past performance is not necessarily an indicator of future results. But I do sometimes wonder if Brunei's semi-patronage system laid the groundwork for the political hoo-haa in East Malaysia today. Both Brooke Sarawak and British North Borneo tried their best in stamping out the patron-client relationship (or at least the Bruneian version of it), but it quickly bounced back when those states entered Malaysia.

The nobility of Brunei in the late 19th century were a... diminished group that was really unnaturally large. There was the usual Syahbandars (harbourmasters), Bendaharas (viziers/ministers), Laksamanas (admirals), and Temenggongs (generalissimo/security chief), but there were also a number of petty lords and aristocrats — whom once controlled Borneo's river basins — that now reside in the city and have nothing to do. While some regional lords went over to the Kingdom of Sarawak and be a part of their government, those still loyal to Brunei are now stewing about the capital. And they need looking after.

I haven't read too deep into the nobility situation in early-1900's Brunei yet, but I have a deep suspicion that it was a combination of the state caring for all of them + financial mismanagement + the large families of the royal court that turned Brunei's finances into a debt-pit. (The late Sultan Aqamaddin had 23 children! And he himself had 8 siblings from his dad! How is that possible?!)

P.S. I've discovered the family tree of Sultan Aqamaddin and while it only shows 14 children holy hell is it big! :eek:

P.S.2. If this paper is to be believed, the three-years taxation hike at Brunei's Belait district was done because a Bendahara wanted to finance his daughter's wedding to one of Sultan Aqamaddin's sons. I've read some dumb things, but that is close to the dumbest I've ever seen. :mad:

Last edited:
Hey everyone! Just a few updates.

1. After reading the previously linked study regarding Brunei and Limbang, I quickly realized that Bandar Brunei might not be so broke after all. According to the pages, the Limbang river - with her riverside sago plantations, rice yields, and ample forestry resources - was the lifeblood of the sultanate even as the polity was partitioned to Brooke Sarawak. Not only did it provide enough food to sustain the capital and surrounding regions, it was also the main resource for Brunei's wooden palaces and buildings, as well as a giant money-maker for the state; one British acting consul in 1904 estimated the loss of the river basin to have cost Brunei up to $200,000 in money. It was the loss of the Limbang River that forced Brunei to seek regressive loans and raise taxes enormously, with near-ruinous consequences in 1901 till 1905.

The Limbang Basin was handed over to Sarawak in 1890 IOTL, but the sultanate still retained the river ITTL due to being an Italian protectorate beforehand. Brunei's situation might not be so precarious after all, and her finances might be just enough to sustain her enormous court and procure armaments from Aceh. Of course, the sultan would still be inclined to raise taxes just to make sure (and thus not retcon the previous update - phew!) but he and the palace court wouldn't be forced to raise them to astronomical highs like OTL. And this does open some new ideas to explore...

2. Speaking of such, I'm making a small simple map for the next update that shows just how much Brunei will fall. Here's a preview; three guesses as to how small the state shall become :closedeyesmile: :

Brunei partition incomplete 2.jpg

3. And finally, an announcement. Starting from August 1 to September 10, I will be off with my family to perform... a very important religious ceremony in a veeeeery dry and un-tropical part of the world... that has also been politicized by some people as of late. The nation we're going to has a lot of issues with herself, her neighbors, and especially her visiting pilgrims, so it's best not to be too conspicuous or express dissent. Plus, I'm not sure if I would have enough time to even compose anything there, let alone open my laptop and tablet. So I'm trying to see if I can get the final conclusion of the Sarawak-Brunei-mountainfolk update done by this month. At the very least, I want to make this part of the tale has some conclusion before I leave for a while.

That's all, folks! ;)

Hey everyone! Just a few updates.

3. And finally, an announcement. Starting from August 1 to September 10, I will be off with my family to perform... a very important religious ceremony in a veeeeery dry and un-tropical part of the world... that has also been politicized by some people as of late. The nation we're going to has a lot of issues with herself, her neighbors, and especially her visiting pilgrims, so it's best not to be too conspicuous or express dissent. Plus, I'm not sure if I would have enough time to even compose anything there, let alone open my laptop and tablet. So I'm trying to see if I can get the final conclusion of the Sarawak-Brunei-mountainfolk update done by this month. At the very least, I want to make this part of the tale has some conclusion before I leave for a while.

That's all, folks! ;)

I can only speak for myself but please take care of yourself and your health. Spend time with the family since this is an important time and a very important ceremony. Real life always comes first.

Gian

Banned

That's all, folks! ;)

Going to the hajj, I see. Well, good luck I guess.

That's all, folks! ;)

Bon Voyage, have a nice family trip and pleasant and meaningfull experience and as an unsolecited suggestion towards the dry place where you go...keep your head down, stay close with your family and limit any possible misuderstunding with the locals

I’m not Muslim, and more importantly I’m Israeli.
Well, politic/ideology aside....

Well, the rule are non-muslim cannot take a step into the Holy Land area;). Thy shall not be worry, O people of the book, May you blessed with boobs! May they big and plenty.

beside, i'm fine with average Joe-Jew that arent pointing gun/finger at my face for being "anti-semitic" in every argument as "win card":p

Last edited: