Of Rajahs and Hornbills: A timeline of Brooke Sarawak

The Tausugs or the Suluks (as they are referred to by the people(s) of Sabah) are more of a problem for Sabah aka Northern Borneo than to Sarawak.

I am not bothered by the headhunting thing - please continue. :D:D:D Also, will you in the future write a chapter or chapters about Miri (I used to live there a long time ago), especially the oil and gas industries and anything related to them such as the oldest oil platform in Sarawak (Oil Platform No.1 - I think :eek::eek::eek:), Canada Hill, etc.? :confused: Also, will the Indian community only consists of Sikhs (I remember when I was there that there was a small Sikh Gurdwara (Temple) in Miri)? Please let me know. Thank you. :):):)

Considering that Miri was the first town where petroleum was first extracted and processed in Brooke Sarawak, of course I'm going too! It may not be as important as the cultural updates, but the discovery of oil will bring a lot of change to both Miri and Sarawak, for better or worse. :D

And about the Sikhs, there were actually a sizable number of contract Indians - most of them Tamils - working for Chinese and European planters in 1800s Sarawak in OTL, settling in the region once their contracts have expired. Quite frankly, I find it odd that there was a Sikh Gudwara in Miri and nothing more than that, especially considering that contract Indians have been a part of the kingdom since the days of Charles. :confused:

Wow.

This can only invite Dutch intervention.

Maybe, maybe not. Brooke Sarawak may be in for a ride, but that doesn't mean the Dutch aren't having their own problems in West and South Borneo.

Nah, skulls are nowhere near the most disturbing thing I've seen. It makes sense to talk about, given the Ibans' reputation as headhunters. I still love how Sarawak is acting as a cultural melting pot (if only at an early stage thus far, which is about right). Nice little update, sketchdoodle :).

Thanks! I was hoping that someone might pick up the melting-pot culture of future-TTL Sarawak, but I didn't realize people would notice it so soon! :D

This may be a long shot but...

...any chances that the Ibans would clash with the Tausugs in the future?

Considering the plans I have for the kingdom ITTL, there could actually be a chance for a Sarawak-Sulu conflict, though as of yet nothing is set in stone.

EDIT:

The Tausugs or the Suluks (as they are referred to by the people(s) of Sabah) are more of a problem for Sabah aka Northern Borneo than to Sarawak.

True, but Sulu pirates have become a nuisance for both Brooke Sarawak and Brunei since the 1840s, and something needs to be done about them. Thing is, there might be another power that would clean up the Sulu pirates problem, and it's not the British nor the Dutch. ;)

Can't wait for more.

What year are you up to in the TL?

Right now it's about 1853. James Brooke has expanded Sarawak to over thrice it's original land area but is struggling to impose his rule over the new territories, primarily because of the recalcitrant Iban (though one Bruneian lord will contribute significantly to the problem).

Also, opportunistically yoinking Palawan off of the Spanish when the Philippines are eventually stripped from them.

Good luck with that. In order for Brooke to even have a chance, it needs to have the resources of whole of Borneo as well as the industrial capability to produce a navy that can beat the Spanish. Borneo has the resources to do it, but Brooke needs to harness Borneo.

That is a small amount of time when the Spanish navy is not at par with the great powers or until the locals rebel or another power takes them from Spain.

The Spanish navy were not easy pickings until the 1890s. The most dangerous time fighting Spain was around 1880s when a otl rejected high tech sub in Spain can be activated instead of rejected. Of course this under the assumption that you even have a navy at par with the US by the 1890s.

SunDeep

Banned
Good luck with that. In order for Brooke to even have a chance, it needs to have the resources of whole of Borneo as well as the industrial capability to produce a navy that can beat the Spanish. Borneo has the resources to do it, but Brooke needs to harness Borneo.

That is a small amount of time when the Spanish navy is not at par with the great powers or until the locals rebel or another power takes them from Spain.

The Spanish navy were not easy pickings until the 1890s. The most dangerous time fighting Spain was around 1880s when a otl rejected high tech sub in Spain can be activated instead of rejected. Of course this under the assumption that you even have a navy at par with the US by the 1890s.

Well, technically, Palawan was never directly under the rule of the Spanish- it was part of the Sultanate of Sulu, along with Sabah. Just have it included as part of the Sabah purchase, or sold in a subsequent purchase of territory from the Sulu Sultanate soon afterward, and you're there, without even having to confront the Spanish at all. Easy peasy. Plus, this way you get the Palawan Hornbills confined within Sarawak's territory as well, which would be in keeping with the thread's title.

edit: Although, that said, the Brookes' greater success ITTL might inspire others to follow suit. Perhaps ITTL, Gustav von Overbeck could actually be inclined to accept the Sultanate of Sulu's offer to become the Maharajah of Sabah ITTL rather than simply selling it on to the highest bidder, which would eventually lead to a conflict (or, indeed, conflicts) between the Brooke dynasty in Sarawak and the Overbeck dynasty in Sabah, competing for dominance over the rest of Borneo and the surrounding islands. Of course, by the time WW1 comes around, with the Overbecks backed by the Central Powers and the Brookes backed by the Entente, there's only going to be one winner; and by this stage, if Sarawak enters the First World War as a full member of the Entente, you could well see the entirety of the Kingdom of Sabah's territories being granted to the Kingdom of Sarawak post-Versailles ITTL.

Last edited:
About Brooke/British Palawan, I recently found out through JSTOR that there was actually a treaty signed between Sulu and the British East India Company back in 1763-1764, ceding not only North Borneo but the island of Palawan to the British as well. From the source I'm reading, it was hoped that the territory would act as a balance against the power of the rising Dutch and the established Spanish.

Unfortunately, what settlements the Company made quickly failed and by 1805 the area was totally abandoned. Britain, strangely enough, didn't seriously back up their claims to North Borneo until the early 1880s. Even in 1879 the officers of the British Empire said the treaties do not support a British claim in North Borneo/Palawan. Instead, the government gave a Royal Charter to a company that got the rights from Overbeck to have North Borneo.

In other words, getting Palawan is going to take more than just a few treaties.

In other things, about the Brookes getting more famous ITTL for acquiring more territory, they were already famous for what they've done. There were newspapers in Britain extolling their work and I'm pretty sure that they would've inspired a few copycats elsewhere (though considering there isn't any White Rajah-like states other than Sarawak, I assumed that the others didn't work out). ITTL, there might be more popularity because of Sarawak + Sentarum so this could change, though I need some convincing for another Sarawak to make an entrance (I might put in a 'failed-states' update though; the thought of another European trying what the Brookes did and failing sounds too cool to not write down!)

And on the topic of WWI and Versailles, you are assuming that there's going to be an OTL WWI or WWII. With a POD this far back, who knows what might change? ;)

Last edited:
Well, technically, Palawan was never directly under the rule of the Spanish- it was part of the Sultanate of Sulu, along with Sabah. Just have it included as part of the Sabah purchase, or sold in a subsequent purchase of territory from the Sulu Sultanate soon afterward, and you're there, without even having to confront the Spanish at all. Easy peasy. Plus, this way you get the Palawan Hornbills confined within Sarawak's territory as well, which would be in keeping with the thread's title.

About Brooke/British Palawan, I recently found out through JSTOR that there was actually a treaty signed between Sulu and the British East India Company back in 1763-1764, ceding not only North Borneo but the island of Palawan to the British as well. From the source I'm reading, it was hoped that the territory would act as a balance against the power of the rising Dutch and the established Spanish.

The issue with this is the Spanish already were present in Northern Palawan since 17th century in knew about Palawan since 1521. Sulu ceded Palawan to Spain in 1705. Sultanate of Brunei ceded Palawan to Spain in 1749.

The Spanish got both recognition but regardless they were already the De Facto in control of the islands.

The British East India Company only established a trading post rather than Sulu giving up the Northern Borneo in the 18th century.

By the 1850s, the Spanish were already well established in Palawan.

The issue with this is the Spanish already were present in Northern Palawan since 17th century in knew about Palawan since 1521. Sulu ceded Palawan to Spain in 1705. Sultanate of Brunei ceded Palawan to Spain in 1749.

The Spanish got both recognition but regardless they were already the De Facto in control of the islands.

The British East India Company only established a trading post rather than Sulu giving up the Northern Borneo in the 18th century.

By the 1850s, the Spanish were already well established in Palawan.

Good point, and the conversion of the natives to Catholocism would have gone underway even before the 1850s.

In any case, the discussion for Palawan reminds me of another matter; the Spanish-American War. I don't think any butterfly-netting will make the war hawks in Washington lose interest in colonial adventures. The Philippines will definitely be on their target list unless something major happens, and I don't think any colonial power would like an independent Philippine republic so close to their SE-Asian possessions.

In light of this, could there be a chance for the U.S to add Cuba as a possession instead of Philippines, and let the other colonial powers (the British, Germans, Dutch, etc.) squabble over the islands instead?

I don't think any colonial power would like an independent Philippine republic so close to their SE-Asian possessions.

That might not be the case.

IMO, the colonial powers would never see an independent Philippines as a threat. It might inspire uprisings in their own colonies, but that's it. Some of them might welcome it, given the right time and circumstances.

IMO, the colonial powers would never see an independent Philippines as a threat. It might inspire uprisings in their own colonies, but that's it. Some of them might welcome it, given the right time and circumstances.

*facepalm* why did I forget that a Philippine Republic is entirely possible?

Never mind my question, folks. I was way sleepy when I made that comment. :eek:

Update next week.

The Sandman

Banned

If you really think that the colonial powers will willingly let brown people run their own country if there's anything remotely valuable there, you're being a lot more optimistic than I think is justified.

If you really think that the colonial powers will willingly let brown people run their own country if there's anything remotely valuable there, you're being a lot more optimistic than I think is justified.

Like I said, at the right time and circumstances. Besides the great powers have more important things to focus on (*cough*China*cough*).

Well, I don't honestly believe that the Europeans would let the entire Philippines be independent by any stretch of the word. However, a little slice of the Philippines like the Sulu Sultanate? That might be a whole lot more possible...

Mercenarius

Banned
Well, I don't honestly believe that the Europeans would let the entire Philippines be independent by any stretch of the word. However, a little slice of the Philippines like the Sulu Sultanate? That might be a whole lot more possible...

The best case scenario would be if the Philippines is treated like Japan during the Bakumatsu period, with unequal treaties, extraterriotorialities, treaty ports, etc. One thing is, Filipinos aren't as xenophobic as the Chinese and the Japanese were, so they might accept those conditions if they want to keep the economy running.

BTW, any updates on Sarawak's northern neighbor?

In light of this, could there be a chance for the U.S to add Cuba as a possession instead of Philippines, and let the other colonial powers (the British, Germans, Dutch, etc.) squabble over the islands instead?

Philippines had a lot of chances winning those numerous rebellions from Spain since the napoleonic wars. Yes, if you go with otl bias, other colonial powers can try but you need the USA resources to actually win the whole Philippines. If you even make 1896 rebellion successful, that would butterfly 1898 since Philippines would be independent by that time.

Sarawak or Borneo is actually browner. Everybody forgets that by 1850s philippines is already a western nation. The insulares(pure Spanish blood born in the Philippines) and Creoles/mestizos were already rebelling since 1820s. Philippine population composition is actually closer to Spanish America than it's neighbors in Asia around this time.

Interesting discussion about the Philippines, everyone. I'm going to need some thinking over about the islands now.

Sarawak or Borneo is actually browner. Everybody forgets that by 1850s philippines is already a western nation. The insulares(pure Spanish blood born in the Philippines) and Creoles/mestizos were already rebelling since 1820s. Philippine population composition is actually closer to Spanish America than it's neighbors in Asia around this time.

Huh, now this changes everything. If the Philippines can end up being like Bakumatsu Japan by themselves, that could cause some butterflies in itself towards maritime SE-Asia. With this though... I need to think on this for a bit.

BTW, any updates on Sarawak's northern neighbor?

The sultanate or the geographic territory? I'll promise you this though, both Brunei and North Borneo will end up being more interesting ITTL... in the Chinese sense. ;)

Interlude: A war party
Juat a mini-update to set the tone for the coming infodump

3e673b085eb0de118651ac9374c0a13c.jpg

Lang River, Simanggang Division, March 8 1853

Libau looked back at the fleet of Perahus rowing behind his own. Finally, we have shown them.

The Iban chieftain swept his gaze on the assembled vessels and men, now rowing upriver alongside the main craft. Some of them wore bruises, others were bleeding. Most however were unscathed from the attack, though a few youngsters looked shaken from the whole experience. They will grow fearless with time. Some of the Perahus were also damaged from the day's ordeal with scratches and scrapes denting the solid hulls; a result of the enemy's weapons striking the hardwood.

As the Iban chief directed his vessel around the river bend, his thoughts were adrift on the events that have transpired that day. Mixed with the sound of the river waters were the voices of numerous warriors – old and young – fresh from a tenacious fight against the foreign enemies downriver. There were the moans of the wounded, the shouts of the brave, the chatter of the young, and the grunts of the old all mixing together with the splash of the oars.

Yes, we have shown them. They will now remember that we are the Iban, and we do not take orders from any foreign invaders! Just who in the world do these people think they are!?

Libau mused on how much things have changed since the Orang Puteh has set foot on this land of theirs. First, they attacked the raiding fleets on grounds that they were pirates. Then, they wanted the tribe to actually pay them every month for the foreigners' upkeep! To drive the point further, they built a fort to monitor the river and the Iban's movements, as if they were nothing more than animals. The final straw was when the Orang Puteh requested the Iban to stop the practice of headhunting, claiming that it was "barbaric" and “un-human”!!

Give up what we have practiced for generations!? Give up what is central to us and our faith!? Give it up like a mother would give up her old rotted clothes!? NO.

Admittedly, Libau mused that the attack could have gone better; through some way or another the Orang Puteh had known that he and his men were on their way to attack the fort. As a result, Libau and his men had to fight the foreigners a few miles upriver, trying to get close to the wooden building while Orang Puteh's weapons fired down at them. Then a few of the foreigners came out to fight, and it all changed.

As the defensive longhouse came into view, the cheers of the war fleet rose into a deafening roar. Of the shouts of the men, none was louder than Libau's own son-in-law, Layang. Even from his viewpoint from a different Perahu, Libau can see the severed head of one of the foreigners, held up by his son-in-law for all to see; Libau can even see the specks of blood staining the man's parang, used for the final cutting blow.

You have done well, Layang.

**********​

Temenggung Jugah Anak Barieng, Early Sarawak: 1846-1868 (Kenyalang Publishing, 2000)

The body of British officer Allan Lee was found ten kilometres downriver from Fort James after the battle of Batang Lupar. His head was decapitated in several blows by Libau Rentap’s own son-in-law, Layang, who kept the grisly souvenir until it was lost during the attack on the Lang River the very next year. To this day, several Iban villages on the Lang still claim to have the head of the British officer.

Footnotes: There were several actual British officers that... didn't make it out in one piece in Sarawak during the 1850's. :(

Last edited:
Interesting discussion about the Philippines, everyone. I'm going to need some thinking over about the islands now.

Huh, now this changes everything. If the Philippines can end up being like Bakumatsu Japan by themselves, that could cause some butterflies in itself towards maritime SE-Asia. With this though... I need to think on this for a bit.

Well, for the Philippines with regards to ATL, you need to take away OTL bias. Majority of the 19th century rebellions were led by Creoles or Pure spanish blood while the Indios were reluctant to even lead until 1890s.

1896-7, is mostly an Indio rebellion while the creoles and the insulares were a bit reluctant.

An example would be: Had this succeeded http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrés_Novales

Philippines would be independent around the same time as Mexico led by a dictator like Mexico's Santa Ana. So it totally depends on how you want to butterfly Philippines away or retain as its OTL form.

The Sandman

Banned

The difference is that Sarawak is being run by a white guy. And to 19th-century Europeans, that's a big difference.

As for the Philippines being a western nation, that would have required that the British, French, Dutch and Americans (plus the Germans, once they unified) actually regard Southern Europeans as properly white people. At best, they qualify higher on the racial hierarchy than their neighbors, but still well below proper North European stock.