Of Rajahs and Hornbills: A timeline of Brooke Sarawak

Narratives: Piedmont, Kuching, and Belgium
Three events, one POD. 1860-1862

JcvCEez.jpg

Castle of Grinzane Cavour, Piedmont. 31 July 1860

Doctor Barco stared at the castle in sheer awe, barely noticing the clattering of the carriage going back down the slope of the bluff. Despite all his years in the medical profession, the middle-aged man never imagined actually working close to such a high position, let alone serving the castle's present owner.

I would be serving the most important man in all of Italy.

The structure looming before him was an edifice of brick and stone bleached pale by the sunlight, topped with small towers with arched windows peeking underneath the roof. The whole castle was placed on a bluff overlooking the landscape with rows of vineyards growing down the southern slope. For a split second, Barco wondered how the past heads of the family would have viewed their surroundings; did they took the time to admire what they had? Or did they just go through their daily business without a care for the view?

Still, this place looks fitting for a Conte.

The man grinned, realizing the irony of working with such nobility. His family was one of the few who opposed the expansion of Piedmont-Sardinia from the very beginning, though they never vented their feelings out loud like the more radical partisans of the Risorgimento. Barco could still remember his uncle ranting on family gatherings about how Italy would never be free unless all her monarchs were overthrown. He'd call me a sellout if he knew, and mother would have his head for it.

Still, he realized that simply standing around gawking would do no good for both him and his client. After introducing himself and being greeted by a very senior butler, Barco was led through a series of hallways and staircases, finally stopping before an old door. Three times the butler knocked on the wood, and a voice spoke in answer.

"Who is it?"

"It is me, with your new physician."

"Ah, send him in."

The elderly butler opened the door, revealing a room that looked as if it was stuck between the past and the present. However, there was no mistaking the large figure rising from the chair with a book clasped in his left hand. "Silvio Barco, I presume?"

"Yes." the doctor replied, "And you must be Camillo Benso?"

FxtL1oR.jpg

Government House, Kuching. 21 May 1862

"...Excuse me?"

"It is as I say," the statesman replied back in accented Malay. "We shall not add any significant forces in Sentarum until the British representatives arrive first."

Inside the Rajah's office, Datu Isa was stunned. Never before had he heard such a command uttered by any member of the Brooke family since his days in the Supreme Council; not only was the acting Rajah of Sarawak ordering for inaction at one of their most nominal of regions, but he is actively ignoring the pleas of the officers and chieftains whom they swore several years ago to protect. At once, his neighbouring council member Datu Khairul pleaded. "But the Dutch have already taken hold of the southern parts, and the northern tribes are starting to waver in their support. Tuan-"

"Yes, and if we gather our fighters on such a mission, we risk confrontation with our rivals and looking like fools to the representatives, who will see the both of us fighting for nothing more than swampland. With that, we risk losing Sentarum to the Dutch in the conference, or worse. As the Rajah Muda of Sarawak, I have no intention of losing our independence."

Rajah Muda... the word bristled through the assembled Council. Datu Isa worryingly noted his companions' slights to the title. how much has changed indeed.

It is now no secret among the citizens of Kuching that their Rajah of Sarawak had to suddenly leave due to an illness, leaving the kingdom's administration to his resident nephews. However, he surprisingly conferred the title of heir to the less known person of Tuan John Brooke, and not the more active – and longer serving – Tuan Charles. Datu Isa can still remember the words he uttered prior to his ruler's departure at the docks; I fear you have made a mistake, Tuan Rajah. While Tuan John has been a part of us since the last three years, I do not think he is your best choice for this duty.

"Now then," The acting ruler of Sarawak lazily picked up a letter from the stack on the desk. "I hear that there has been a disagreement with the Chinese and the..." his words stopped as the Rajah Muda looked at the letter. Without a word, he tore through the envelope and unfurled the paper within, his eyes shifting quickly as the he read through the contents.

For Datu Isa, the sudden silence in the office was more than unnerving. "Tuan?"

Slowly, John Brooke's eyes travelled upwards from the paper to the assembled figures sitting in front of him. "We have a suitor."

2ka8mQr.jpg

Excerpt from a letter from Leopold II of Belgium to Government House of Kuching, 1 May 1862 (Kuching Library archives: obtained 1893)

...Aside from the financial situation, I have also received word of several native uprisings taking hold around your possessions, resulting in a great amount of damage and further upsetting the integrity of your territories.

In light of these developments, I am willing to offer a possible solution in the form of loans to your administration, as would anyone who sees your honourable drive to civilize the island of Borneo. Besides this, I would also be willing to purchase several of the rebellious territories from Sarawak and share the potential wealth within those lands with your government. If I may be so bold, I would prefer to administer these unruly parts under my own hand and share the profits of the resources lying within them with your administration. I promise that I shall govern these areas with full respect to the natives and that the benefits of civilization shall handed to them without any delay.

Know that this offer is open until I receive a word from you directly or through an official diplomatic channel.

–Leopold, Duke of Brabant.​

Footnotes:

1) Yes, Leopold II actually considered buying Sarawak. :eek:

2) John Brooke - or to be more precise, John Brooke Johnson - was another of Rajah James' nephews and was actually named heir or Rajah Muda (a title similar to Crown Prince) to Sarawak despite his other nephew's – Charles – longer experience in the country.

Last edited:
Excerpt from a letter from Leopold II of Belgium to Government House of Kuching, 1 May 1862 (Kuching Library archives: obtained 1893)

Oh please, not him, although I can see where he'd like to put one over on the Dutch in addition to satisfying his colonial ambitions.

I assume the Italian scene is leading to something - now that would be interesting.

I'm not sure about ol' Rajah Muda's approach to things; I get he's trying to save face before the Brits, but there's gotta be some sort of answer to the issue (even if it's just enough to keep those fickle tribesmen he mentioned in line for the time being). More importantly, were I him, I'd tell Leo exactly where he can shove that offer of his. No way That Bastard gets ahold of Sarawak, Dutch rivalry and hard cash be damned.

EDIT: Oh, and the Italian bit does look interesting, if a tad out of place (I assume that is leading somewhere, naturally :p). Keep up the good work!

More importantly, were I him, I'd tell Leo exactly where he can shove that offer of his. No way That Bastard gets ahold of Sarawak, Dutch rivalry and hard cash be damned.

The trouble is he wasn't known to be That Bastard in 1862 - until he started chopping people's hands off, no one imagined he'd be worse than any other European colonialist.

Oh please, not him, although I can see where he'd like to put one over on the Dutch in addition to satisfying his colonial ambitions.

Oh yes, it’s him. Leopold had colonial ambitions since the mid-1850’s and nothing so far – both OTL and TTL – has yet to discourage him from it. ITTL, he viewed the colonial rivalry in Borneo a perfect place to wedge in, as well as getting a few things of his own.

More importantly, were I him, I'd tell Leo exactly where he can shove that offer of his. No way That Bastard gets ahold of Sarawak, Dutch rivalry and hard cash be damned.

The trouble is he wasn't known to be That Bastard in 1862 - until he started chopping people's hands off, no one imagined he'd be worse than any other European colonialist.

Points for Jonathan for telling out that the western world never thought of Leopold much until the Congo Free State started appearing on the news sheets. At this point, most people would just see a scion of Belgium being interested in the colonial game, and not a person who desired personal enrichment at the expense of others' lives. In any case, Leopold will soon discover that the acting Rajah of Sarawak does not share his sentiments entirely (and thank God for that). However, what Leopold will find out is that getting a colony would require at least some agreement with the natives, and Sarawak might point a way for that, for better or worse.

If the Belgians ever gets Sarawak, I fear for the natives' fates.

Never fear, that would be something even the acting Rajah would sooner block than allow. Leopold would soon set his sights on other parts of the world, though Sarawak will teach him a few things in getting a colony (though without the Brookes' guarantees on native protection).

I'm not sure about ol' Rajah Muda's approach to things; I get he's trying to save face before the Brits, but there's gotta be some sort of answer to the issue (even if it's just enough to keep those fickle tribesmen he mentioned in line for the time being).

Yeah, this is John Brooke’s major defect both OTL and TTL; he never thinks out fully and doesn’t follow instructions from people who knew best. Despite that, he does share the Brooke family’ zeal for Sarawak being a state of its own, and that will at least bridge some distance between him and the Supreme Council (word is out on the rest of the family, though. His recalcitrance could be the thing that could get him… deposed).

EDIT: Oh, and the Italian bit does look interesting, if a tad out of place (I assume that is leading somewhere, naturally :p). Keep up the good work!

I assume the Italian scene is leading to something - now that would be interesting.

Hee hee, I’ve been planning that one for a while now. It doesn’t match with the rest of the update, but there was no other place or that bit except the early 1860’s, for various reasons. I'm a bit surprised no one has raised eyebrows yet on the castle owner's identity; he's one of the men who carried the Risorgimento almost to its end.

If I may spoil a bit, let’s just say the colonial game will be a bit more competitive ITTL. :D

Last edited:
Titles and their meanings

And I just realized that not all you people are from South East Asia and so some of the titles in this update (and possibly future updates) might need some explaining.

So here are some general terms that will be thrown around in Sarawak:

Tuan – "Sir" or "Master". Usually said to denote persons of higher rank.

Datu – A title somewhat similar to that of the Ottoman "Pasha". Used to denote native persons (usually Malays) of high rank. i.e: the Supreme Council members.

Tuan Rajah – "Mister/Sir Rajah", though a person conversing with him can also just say "Rajah" as well.

Rajah Ranee – Pronounced: "Rajah Rani". Similar to the above, but for the Rajah's wife. (Note: "Ranee" is written like so in Sarawak even in the Malay language)

Rajah Muda – Literal meaning: "Little Prince", but used somewhat similarly to "Crown Prince". Usually used to denote the heir presumptive to the throne.

Ranee Muda – Literal meaning: "Little Princess", but used used somewhat similarly to "Crown Princess". Usually used to denote the eldest daughter of the family.*

*It should be noted that the OTL Rajahs are traced through male descent, though this may change ITTL.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I'm aware that Leopold wasn't considered any worse than his contemporaries at that time in terms of reputation or actions; I'm using OTL hindsight to offer what I felt to be an appropriate response to the prospect of Leo the A**hole getting ahold of Sarawak. Were I genuinely in Brooke's shoes, I guess I wouldn't be quite so adamant in my refusal, but then again I still wouldn't allow an outsider to buy my territories.

Oh yeah, I'm aware that Leopold wasn't considered any worse than his contemporaries at that time in terms of reputation or actions; I'm using OTL hindsight to offer what I felt to be an appropriate response to the prospect of Leo the A**hole getting ahold of Sarawak. Were I genuinely in Brooke's shoes, I guess I wouldn't be quite so adamant in my refusal, but then again I still wouldn't allow an outsider to buy my territories.

And you've just thought the same as John Brooke of Sarawak: Unused to ruling, but damn does he care for the place and the territiores, royal Belgian money be damned.

Also, I don't want that man to come a thousand miles near Borneo. The farther he is from Sarawak, the better. :mad:

Oh God the butterflies have placed John Brooke in place of Charles as Crown Prince. :eek: John better have a chair ready because it's going to be a long wait. Leopold's offer is interesting in a nightmarish sort of way, and Cavour has shown up, this should be interesting. As always I can't wait to see what the next installment brings :D

Oh God the butterflies have placed John Brooke in place of Charles as Crown Prince. :eek: John better have a chair ready because it's going to be a long wait. Leopold's offer is interesting in a nightmarish sort of way, and Cavour has shown up, this should be interesting. As always I can't wait to see what the next installment brings :D

Didnt footnote 2 say John was Muda iotl? Or did I m8sunderstand that.

Oh God the butterflies have placed John Brooke in place of Charles as Crown Prince.

Didnt footnote 2 say John was Muda iotl? Or did I m8sunderstand that.

Dathi got it right. John Brooke was the IOTL and TTL Rajah Muda for the time being, appointed by James Brooke himself. However, his current actions towards Sentarum are not doing him any favors to the rest of the family, and his ignoring of others' judgements might land him in a tight spot. By the mid-1860's, there could be another Rajah Muda on the line, and a (comparatively) better one at that.

...John better have a chair ready because it's going to be a long wait. Leopold's offer is interesting in a nightmarish sort of way, and Cavour has shown up, this should be interesting. As always I can't wait to see what the next installment brings :D

Finally, someone who notices who the castle owner was. :p To elaborate, Count Cavour of Italy would gain the position of 1st Prime Minister, 1st army commander and 1st navy commander as OTL. The stress will get to him, but his new doctor will make sure that he'd live longer than his real life counterpart, long enough for other things to happen.

Keep it up, sketchdoodle!:)

I'm working on it. Update hopefully by tomorrow, if I can finish drawing the maps in time. After the ungodly hours I had to burn making the 1853 map, I'm trying on a much more simplified style. Only trouble is that the finished picture looks like something out of a pre-school book or future-world setting.

Sarawak, the Dutch, and the Sentarum dispute
syoZcxg.jpg

‘Abdurrahman Khan’, War and Peace in Colonial Borneo (Kenyalang Publishing; 1985)

...When the representatives of Sarawak and the Dutch East Indies finally convened with their respective empires on June 1862, both sides soon found out that their respective suzerains’ relations had massively deteriorated over the course of the previous decade.

This was because of Britain and the Netherlands' rising interests in the region. Despite the signing of the Anglo-Dutch Treaty in 1824 which divided the two empires' areas of influence on the Malacca Straits, both London and Amsterdam still intervened in each other's territories without any regard for prior agreements. In 1858, the Netherlands subjugated the Sultanate of Siak Sri Inderapura, a polity south of British Singapore that London had hoped to influence. At the same time, the British Empire had guaranteed the independence of Aceh, a sultanate on the northern tip of Sumatra that the Dutch had wandering eyes on. Further adding to the mess was the morass of duties that British and Chinese traders faced when trading with Dutch outposts in Sumatra, a situation that particularly chafed British Singapore.

The unravelling situation in Borneo did nothing to help these problems. The Kuching Agreement of 1853 was supposed to designate which polity had the Sentarum Floodplains, with the victor ultimately going to the Kingdom of Sarawak. However, the adventurer-state was forced to divert attention from their new holdings as it soon found itself fighting for its very existence during the course of the 1850’s. The Dutch East Indies, irked by the decision and subsequently expanding their Bornean holds, soon realized the opportunity they had and sent multiple punitive expeditions into the area, retaking what they claimed for inch by sodden inch. By 1861, almost the entire southern half of the Upper Kapuas basin was aligned with Batavia, and the Dutch were openly ignoring the Brooke government's pleas for withdrawal.

xcH0zlv.jpg

A Dutch romantic sketch of the interior of Borneo. Despite the sheer wildness, such territories began attracting the eye of countries with aspirations.

This was not to say that the Dutch were unwary of the Kingdom of Sarawak. In fact, relations between the two polities dropped to the lowest level yet when Rajah James Brooke annexed the entire Rajang River from the Sultanate of Brunei in 1861; from the delta right to the very headwaters. In an island that was – back then – very much unexplored to the world, there was a very real fear for the Dutch that Sarawak now had claim for the interior – and hence, the majority of land – of Borneo. This was despite the fact that the natural mountain ranges and river systems of the island were already mapped out or at least generally known since the 18th century. Nevertheless, such an expansion of territory did give Batavia pause for concern.

With such pressures mounting, both the Rajah Muda of Sarawak and the Governor-General of Batavia finally asked their respective Powers for an intervention. A new solution needed to be found, but both Sarawak and the DEI were wary of another botched Kuching Agreement. However, when the date finally arrived, both sides soon found their pleas entangled amongst the claims and horse-trading carried out by London and Amsterdam. For a moment, it seemed that the issue of Sentarum would be lost among the background noise.

Of course, it didn't, and the conference steered back to the main topic primarily because of John Brooke Johnson, the – at the time – Rajah Muda of Sarawak. With James Brooke being bedridden from a sudden stroke and Charles Brooke busily mopping up the last of Sharif Masahor’s forces, the Rajah Muda was thrust to become the principal face of the upstart kingdom. More than anything, John Brooke wanted international recognition of the Kingdom of Sarawak as a sovereign state, a process already achieved with the United States and Brunei. However, up until that point the British government refused to give recognition to the adventurer-state due to overriding factors (such as the Indian Rebellion and the Second Opium Wars) or the disinterest of Parliament, while the Dutch refused to recognize a potential usurper for their respective position in Borneo.

OKgYuIC.jpg

John Brooke Johnson, the Rajah Muda of Sarawak

However, by the dawn of the 1860's this attitude began to change as more and more European Powers began having colonial aspirations of their own, particularly France, Germany and – though in secret, Belgium. There was also the secondary reason of Britain and the Netherlands realizing that, whatever quarrels they had with one another, both were reluctant to apply their forces in such a far-flung area, particularly for such a (comparatively) minor dispute over what both Powers saw as swampland (a slight that irked both Sarawak and the DEI). With this in mind, Britain agreed to recognize Sarawakian independence if the kingdom agreed to the conference's final judgement. The Netherlands also formed a similar agreement with the Rajah Muda, with the added caveat that whatever Bornean river systems flowed north-northwest into the South China Sea would forever remain under Brooke influence, preventing – in theory – Kuching and Batavia from crossing one another again.

In the end, the Senatrum question was resolved with a compromise that especially favoured the Dutch. The final placement of borders would be settled through both polities' de facto control of the Sentarum Floodplains up to that point. Unfortunately, in the last three weeks leading up the conference the Dutch successfully conducted several expeditions that reached the northern half of the plains, reducing Sarawakian control to Fort Brooke and the more mountainous parts of the area. The actions of John Brooke did little to help the Sarawakian side, holding back Dayak troops in the hope of saving face, ultimately resulting in a huge loss for the White Rajahs. The Rajah Muda balked at the compromise, but caved in the face of diplomatic pressure and realizing that most of Sentarum was officialy lost.

The end of the conference was marked with the Borneo Treaty, a document that encapsulated the decisions of the attended representatives, overwriting the earlier Kuching Agreement. In one fell swoop the Kingdom of Sarawak lost almost all of the Sentarum Floodplains whilst the Dutch gained complete control of the entire Kapuas River, leaving only a small enclave around Fort Brooke to the adventurer-state. Rajah James would never forgive his nephew John for this huge reversal; the Rajah Muda would be deposed barely three months after the treaty was signed, with Charles Brooke replacing him as the presumptive heir instead. Sarawak finally got Great Power recognition as a state, but it was a bitter pill to swallow for Kuching, and it underpinned the assumption that an immediate presence on claimed land was required to keep the kingdom from losing territory…

A diagram of the lands gained and lost by Sarawak from 1860 to 1862

The conference also ended with a slight twist in regards to the East Indies disputes. Although none of the representatives were able to resolve the status of Siak and Aceh, a proposal was made for a dividing line running through the Malacca Straits and the South China Sea, effectively demarcating areas of British, Dutch and Sarawakian influence and settling the area's disputes for good. However, with the conference's focus on Borneo and the interests of both powers on both sides of the Malacca Straits, this proposal was shelved for another day. Neither Britain, the Netherlands nor Sarawak could have ever imagined that the day was only eight years away...

Another, more subtle twist to the conference was the fact that a minor European country was secretively monitoring the event with great interest; the Kingdom of Belgium. Prince Leopold II was interested on a colony of his own and figured that the disputed East Indies was a perfect place to wedge in against the established Powers. Just a month before the conference started, the styled Duke of Brabant sent a letter to Kuching, testing the waters for a potential colony. John Brooke's reply was, in a word...

**********​

Name: Melissa Melanie Raweng

Date: 18/10/2006

Mukah Primary School Trial Examination

Question 30: Bonus short-answer question

Sum up in exactly 10 words John Brooke’s response to Leopold .

Thank you, but no thank you. Get your own colony!

P. Zubaidiah: Correct!! (35/50)

Footnotes:

1) As implausible as it sounds, the ability of Sarawak to maintain it's independence and subsequent international recognition of the kingdom was a major factor in John Brooke and Rajah James drifting apart, culminating in him being dethroned IOTL.

Last edited:
Seems John Brooke will live in infamy in Sarawakian history. And Batavia pats itself on the back. I wonder how viable the Fort Brooke enclave will be.

The snub of Leopold II may be a boon to Sarawak if that man goes the route of OTL.

Well, Sarawak is recognized by its neighbors that is significant. And the way is cleared for Charles to take the throne in his turn. With as much resentment as there is for the Dutch I expect Brunei will be the target of future expansion.

Seems John Brooke will live in infamy in Sarawakian history. And Batavia pats itself on the back. I wonder how viable the Fort Brooke enclave will be.

He won't be thought of highly in modern-day Sarawak ITTL, and he will be a controversial figure among TTL historians at best. On one hand, he rarely listens to authority and his actions lost the kingdom Sentarum. On the other, he did try his hardest to make sure the kingdom was internationally recognized, making him at least an influential figure in the nation's adolescent years.

Batavia is happy that things are going their way, though they may find that the native Ibans and Kayans may not like Dutch rule much once the dust settles down. The 1860's to the 1880's will be a questioning time for the Dayaks, and the policies of Sarawak and the DEI will influence where they will ultimately live in (and who will they follow), for better or for worse.

As for fort Brooke, food and transportation on the Kapuas River are now guaranteed by the Borneo Treaty. However, the Brooke family are forbidden from ever going there again, even on official visits; only Dayak and Sikh troops with their British overseers. The DEI at this point knows how the family works, and decides that it's better to just disallow them from visiting the Upper Kapuas region rather than risk another 1853 incident.

The snub of Leopold II may be a boon to Sarawak if that man goes the route of OTL.

I wanted to put that last line in for a while. :eek: By the way, that line was not John Brooke's answer to Leopold, but a summation of a letter the Rajah Muda sent back to Belgium. The reply was long, but it was just an elaboration of what the student wrote, and it was just easier to sum up what John Brooke said instead of writing an excerpt that was basically the same thing.

Leopold will find that the East Indies are a tough nut to crack, and so will turn his attentions to other parts of the world instead. However, he will learn a few things from his Bornean adventure, more specifically; how to get a colony in the first place and how to get the natives to agree with his rule (initially).

Well, Sarawak is recognized by its neighbors that is significant. And the way is cleared for Charles to take the throne in his turn. With as much resentment as there is for the Dutch I expect Brunei will be the target of future expansion.

Oh yeah, I wasn't joking when I said Brunei was screwed early on in the TL. With Sarawak internationally recognized, there is a chance for it's complaints to be heard and enacted upon, and since it's a 'White Rajah' kingdom attached to the British Empire more international figures will agree with the Brooke family's expansion program and - more often than not - ignore Brunei's complaints.

Brunei won't be happy about this, and the Sultan will complain as much as he could to the British (and the other Powers). However, opening yourself up to the world will also mean opening yourself to swindlers and opportunists; something Bandar Brunei may not be prepared for.

I know Sarawak is the central pillar, but now I am very interested in what Cavour can do with Italy given more time.

He'll do much to promote transportation and industrialization, but what he will be remembered for the most will be his international policy. The 1860's were full of events that could make a statesman widely known, and Cavour might just know which events to pick.

One announcement

I'll be visiting my grandmother's house until Sunday, and the place I'm going to has next to no internet whatsoever so don't worry if I don't answer all your replies at the end of the day.

Stay curious, everyone. :)

He won't be thought of highly in modern-day Sarawak ITTL, and he will be a controversial figure among TTL historians at best. On one hand, he rarely listens to authority and his actions lost the kingdom Sentarum. On the other, he did try his hardest to make sure the kingdom was internationally recognized, making him at least an influential figure in the nation's adolescent years.

I wonder if the international recognition won't be more important in the medium term, though - sure, Sarawak has lost some marginal territory, but now it can develop without worrying that the Netherlands or some other power will try to snap it up.

And if I were John Brooke, I'd have given Leopold a shorter answer, but such is diplomacy.