Of Rajahs and Hornbills: A timeline of Brooke Sarawak

When you want to plot the Great War and its aftermath but then stumble on how absolutely bonkers were the Balkans and the Levant...

...:'(

Remind me again why these two places are so complicated?

If you want to create a more stable Lebanon, attach everything south of Sidon to Greater Palestine and presto. I'm surprised that IOTL the French didn't try to keep Lebanon small in order to maintain a Christian (and potentially loyal) majority there.

And yeah, the Balkans are insane. No wonder that there were three Balkan Wars plus a lot of reshuffling attempts between 1914 and 1948 (with the Tito-Stalin split the modern borders between Bulgaria and former Yugoslavia were essentially set in stone for the near future). Gotta love migration and only vague senses of nationalism until the early 20th century!

Do you have a couple of weeks?

Well, I am free on weekends, but that would mean having multiple sessions on the topic... ;)

Now you know why otl great power just draw a straight line;)

They could pull a British India and create a patchwork of princely states, autonomous regions, and direct-rule territories under one overarching polity. Inefficient, but at least there's some stability.

Oh wait, that's kinda what the Ottomans did. Um... don't fix what isn't broke? :perservingface:

If you want to create a more stable Lebanon, attach everything south of Sidon to Greater Palestine and presto. I'm surprised that IOTL the French didn't try to keep Lebanon small in order to maintain a Christian (and potentially loyal) majority there.

And yeah, the Balkans are insane. No wonder that there were three Balkan Wars plus a lot of reshuffling attempts between 1914 and 1948 (with the Tito-Stalin split the modern borders between Bulgaria and former Yugoslavia were essentially set in stone for the near future). Gotta love migration and only vague senses of nationalism until the early 20th century!

Wait, why did the French include so many non-Maronite territories into Lebanon anyway?

And as for the Balkans, there's no avoiding the blowup there, does it? I guess there is the silver lining of making the region go waaaay differently than OTL (thank you, mixed relations) but the whole shebang would be so much easier if there was some ultra-permanent agreement between all Balkan parties. Oh well.

I'm currently still plotting the pre-Great War updates, with one part centering in Europe and another set in Southeast-East Asia. As you can see, it's still a work in progress.

And as for the Balkans, there's no avoiding the blowup there, does it? I guess there is the silver lining of making the region go waaaay differently than OTL (thank you, mixed relations) but the whole shebang would be so much easier if there was some ultra-permanent agreement between all Balkan parties. Oh well.

Any ultra-permanent agreement in the Balkans will need to include a lot of forced population exchange (and it will not be pretty) and at the mix you need to include A-H and all the mess that will be created by his 'probable' implosion due to the Great War. The Balkan league (OTL plus Romania and Greece in some fashion) can be expect to work together against a common enemy (A-H and/or the Ottoman Empire) but once the spoil need to be divided hell will start...unless some great power doesn't arrange an agreement before (and it will be hard)

The only way to avoid the Balkans being a headache-inducing mixture of cultures and religions who all hate one another is to make sure the Eastern Roman Empire does not fall and successfully grecify's (is that even a word?) the southern slavs.

When you want to plot the Great War and its aftermath but then stumble on how absolutely bonkers were the Balkans and the Levant...

View attachment 351191 View attachment 351192

...:'(

Remind me again why these two places are so complicated?

The Migratory Period, the Great Schism, and generally being in a region where civilizations, ethnic groups, and religions frequently clashed and conquered each other over time. Things might get better if there was a supranational ideal that they could adhere to, but in a time of nationalism... That isn't going to be the case.

grecify's (is that even a word?)

I believe the phrase would be Hellenize.

Wait, why did the French include so many non-Maronite territories into Lebanon anyway?
IIRC, they wanted to include as many as possible Christian areas and enclaves as they could while still having a Christian-majority country. Lebanon was still majority Christian when it was created, but higher birthrates changed that later - that's why they never did a census after 1932.

Another nice update! Small suggestion: "wised up" rather than "wizened up": the second suggests that they shriveled.

It was a slap in the face to Italian prestige, shattering the myth that African races were inferior to Europeans in thought and action.

Probably a bit of an author exaggeration there: given the lack of a change of attitudes due to a similar victory OTL, I suspect the reaction in Britain and Germany, for instance, will be 1. Well, it's Italians: they're barely Europeans as it is and 2. Clearly the Ethiopians, or at at least the Amhara, are a whiter sort of African.

(It's also probably in-universe author bias that the Mahdi state is all Evil Slaver State, while Sokoto, which was also a busy collector of human flesh doesn't even merit a mention as such. Or was it the influence of Edelstein? :) )

My writing may not be clear there, but Benin did became a protectorate under the British.

After they burned down the capital and stole all their stuff. Conquest, followed by "nominal protectorate but really basically a colony" status.

I imagine the British still included as conditions the end of slavery and human sacrifice in Benin, the second of which would, for religious reasons, be a hard pill to swallow.

Apologies for replying so late!

Another nice update! Small suggestion: "wised up" rather than "wizened up": the second suggests that they shriveled.

Ah, my mistake. I'll amend that and some other spelling errors soon.

Probably a bit of an author exaggeration there: given the lack of a change of attitudes due to a similar victory OTL, I suspect the reaction in Britain and Germany, for instance, will be 1. Well, it's Italians: they're barely Europeans as it is and 2. Clearly the Ethiopians, or at at least the Amhara, are a whiter sort of African.

Italy ITTL is seen internationally as a more active and involved colonial Power, especially since it managed to snag both Sabah and northwestern New Guinea from Sarawak and the Dutch East Indies (though tangential factors played a lot in both cases). This is what made the ITTL Battle of Aksum such a surprise to everyone; a colonial state that handled Dayak and Papuan 'headhunters' but fell to an African army is near-inconceivable, or the fact that Ethiopian modernization can actually win the day.

As you said, many heads in Europe would just say the Ethiopians are 'whiter Africans', but there's also a lot of finger-pointing at how Rome blew it badly down there.

(It's also probably in-universe author bias that the Mahdi state is all Evil Slaver State, while Sokoto, which was also a busy collector of human flesh doesn't even merit a mention as such. Or was it the influence of Edelstein? :) )

I will not discount to have some... influences, and not just from Jonathan's TL :biggrin:. But the main reason why the Dervish Caliphate is so damned in-universe is - besides their puritanical form of Islam and explicit rejection of the Ottomans - that they also enslave fellow Muslims who refused to bow down, which was received as mud in the greater Islamic world. Despite some breaches across history, there is always the assumption that Muslims shouldn't enslave fellow Muslims, something the Dervishes breached by selling captured Darfuris and other recalcitrant tribes, and openly at that.

Compared to that, Sokoto's slavery looked almost humane by comparison, which is why the in-TL authors were so biased. Of course, that doesn't mean there won't be any slave-based troubles along the Niger...

imagine the British still included as conditions the end of slavery and human sacrifice in Benin, the second of which would, for religious reasons, be a hard pill to swallow.

I tried to research about this, but most (conflicting) sources portray Beninese human sacrifice as either involving either condemned criminals in festivals or favored priests 'following' the Oba into death, though I could be wrong. Given TTL Benin's programme of cultural exhibition in England, I can see the Oba instructing the various musicians and storytellers to clear up the assumption if asked, though I bet many Londoners would be appalled that human sacrifice is happening nonetheless.

Perhaps the matter was omitted from Benin's protectorate agreement due to the British wanting the polity under their fold, but later becoming a divisive issue afterwards. I can see British missionaries using the practice to gain sympathy back home, much to the consternation of the Beninese authorities.

Last edited:
="Al-numbers, post: 15947590, member: 74142"

Italy ITTL is seen internationally as a more active and involved colonial Power, especially since it managed to snag both Sabah and northwestern New Guinea from Sarawak and the Dutch East Indies (though tangential factors played a lot in both cases). This is what made the ITTL Battle of Aksum such a surprise to everyone; a colonial state that handled Dayak and Papuan 'headhunters' but fell to an african army is near-inconceivable, or the fact that Ethiopian modernization can actually win the day.

As you said, many heads in Europe would just say the Ehiopians are 'white-r africans', but there's also a lot of finger-pointing at how Rome blew it badly down there.

The 'problem' in this situation is just that; while the Ethiopians have started a succesfull modernization (but i want just add that this thing are very costly and Abyssinia doesn't have a lot of resources and money at the moment)...so are the italians and even OTL it was more Rome deciding that the place was not worthy of a costly colonial war (and the internal situation will have not supported it, as the war was not very popular) than Abyssinia knocking out them for good as after (the very costly for the Regio Esercito) italian defeat at Adua the Ethiopian Army was not in a very good shape (even if the looted italians weapons helped a lot) and in some months the italian army already reconquered the Abyssinian territory.
Basically, even OTL if Rome really wanted can come back and clearly (but costly...and i don't even talk about pacification) conquer Abyssinia...ITTL Italy is in a much better situation and more importantly had a lot more general success than OTL and the italian goverment can be strongly tempted to greatly reinforce Eritrea and teach the local a proper lesson to heal the wounded pride.

Plus is not that Italy was the only colonial power ever defeated by the natives (Khartoum and the 1842 retreat from Kabul are just some example) is that lacked the will and resources to come back in force...a situation not entirely apt to ITTL.

Frankly i see the conclusion of the war as a mix of Abyssian military victory, Emperor political savyness with the deal with a Ogaden to save the italian pride at least a little, even if i will add a further agreement with the italian buying the right on the Gash-barka region (as happened in OTL 1902) as the nation need money and the region is not really controlled by the Ethiopians...so is money for nothing and the italian attention needed for other problems like the increasily higher tension in South-est asia, the Dervish launching their raids on Eritrea (OTL the Mahdist attacked the italian colony many time and in the end they will driven off by their base in south sudan in kassala by an italian offensive that occupied the city till 97), tension with the Ottoman Empire and/or A-H

mini-update: An archduke and a gunshot
I'm partway through writing the next update, but here's a small snippet to tide you all over till then.

dayak skulls.jpg

Exposition Universelle, Paris, French Third Republic. 23 July 1900

Archduke Ferdinand winced at the decorations.

It’s not like he hadn't seen some ludicrous sights, especially of recent days. It is common knowledge that the mere existence of a World Exposition would demand its entrants to set up a Potemkin façade to awe prospective visitors. But as a figure who has visited the nation of Sarawak, he was sure that the kingdom would be aghast at the nature of the British Borneo Exhibit, set up unknowingly by their imperial patron.

On the back wall were suspended enormous portraits of the White Rajah Charles and his wife, the Ranee Margaret, displayed in a manner that proclaimed their superiority and prowess over the exhibition space. In the middle of the room stood multiple display tables that showcased the bloody history of British involvement on the island. On the left wall were hoisted the weapons of war, Dayak shields with gargoyle-like faces bedecked with tufts of human hair being displayed most prominently [1]. But the real gut-curdler lay at the other end, where the wall was covered with row after row of bone-white skulls which hung from suspended racks.

This is an exhibit of fear, not awe. Even though the skulls were made of papier-mâché, the empty eye sockets seemed to gaze and follow at any passers-by. Any visitor whom entered the space would come out of it more unsettled of the island than intrigued.

What a horrifying way to show the world.

Deciding not to explore any longer, Ferdinand quickly searched for an exit and stepped out from the pavilion and into the Paris afternoon. Ignoring his military entourage and royal hangers-on, he wondered if he should send a note to Rajah Charles regarding the displays of his kingdom. The man already stated his refusal to participate in the Exposition and thus may hold little influence in the British-organized display, but such a skewed exhibit, over-emphasizing the barbarity of the Sarawak natives, would surely raise his ire. [2]

So engrossed was he on the issue, the archduke barely heard the voice shouting “Look out!”. Then, Ferdinand’s world turned sideways.

He felt one of his guards pushing him to the ground as a gunshot exploded in the summer air. From his ears, he could hear another scuffle erupting close nearby, interspersed with screams and cries of “Get him! Murderer!! Seize the gunner!”

“Your Highness!!” The guard exclaimed. “Your Highness!! Are you hurt!?”

Only then did the archduke realize that his right forearm gushed red.

Then, came the pain.

Notes:

1. Some Dayak tribes such as the Kenyah and Kelabit decorate their wooden shields with tufts of human hair from their slain enemies, mostly for ritualistic and aggrandising purposes. An in-universe example can found on post #437.

2. I’ve said before that Charles Brooke would too much of a penny-pincher to participate in the Universal Exposition, but his British patrons would make one about Sarawak anyway to showcase the local culture and their naval reach. Without the Brooke dynasty's input and the exotic attitudes of most Europeans to Sundaland (both IOTL and ITTL), it’s likely that the exhibition would be heavily skewed in one way or another.

I assume this is gonna be a spark that will start great war in this tl. But the assassin identity is still a mystery and I can't assume Franz death yet without confirmation. Plus I can't think a reason why french gov or people want him death might be somebody else nationalist. Probably Italian or from balkan.

The 'problem' in this situation is just that […] ITTL Italy is in a much better situation and more importantly had a lot more general success than OTL and the italian goverment can be strongly tempted to greatly reinforce Eritrea and teach the local a proper lesson to heal the wounded pride.

Hmm… Perhaps Rome wanted to continue the war as a matter of pride, but cooler heads prevailed at the very last moment. I like your idea on how the government would react: Italian politicians sought retribution for the loss at Aksum, only to be blocked by massive protests and issues regarding the cost of such a conflict. Then, Menelik’s offer of peace along with the Ogaden allowed them to save some face while still gaining more territory. Italy and Ethiopia might even see eye to eye in terms of countering the Dervishes, recognizing each other while expanding into the Nile valley. That would certainly help to cover bad blood and keep the weapons flowing (though Egypt would be less than amused).

And while native African victories against European forces were not unheard of, it would still be anomalous for a colonial state that had ‘pacified’ other tribes before to fall against an African army, albeit one that was more modernized than its peers. Contemporary Italians would reason the victory as a case of “they were lucky and had maxim guns”, but many Ethiopians would reason differently.

Also, I don’t know why, but your answer made me weirdly imagine Menelik II and King Umberto frolicking out in the fields, searching for Dervishes in the undergrowth. XD

I assume this is gonna be a spark that will start great war in this tl. But the assassin identity is still a mystery and I can't assume Franz death yet without confirmation. Plus I can't think a reason why french gov or people want him death might be somebody else nationalist. Probably Italian or from balkan.

Even if the assassin is not French, they will have egg on their face for this happening in an event they are organizing.

The attacker is likely an anarchist or nationalist.

Or maybe someone with both ideas. Mixed ideologies are not only contained to the pages of books, either OTL or ITTL.

As for our archduke, the bullet only went through his right forearm, so there is a chance that dear Franz Ferdinand might survive the day and live. Regardless, the fact that such an incident happened at all would raise alarm bells, as well as opening the question of security in public events. The French have a lot to answer for this.

The first pre-Great War update is mostly complete and should be up by tomorrow. Then it’s a look to Southeast/East Asia and the tensions there before making it all fall apart.

EDIT: Before I continue, I'd like to add that I am not good at wars, so there might be some plot holes I've not foreseen in the next update.

Last edited:
Pre-Great War situation (Part 1/3)
exposition blood.jpg

Mathieu Vaugrenard, Imperium of Rust: The Fragility of Empires, (Livres de Figaro: 1972)

…The assassination attempt on Archduke Franz Ferdinand by a Belgrade radical during the Paris Exposition was the closest call for the Habsburg royals till then. While it was fortunate that the bullet only pieced through his upper right forearm, the resulting damage to the bone and sinew rendered the limb enough to be permanently impaired. While Ferdinand’s right arm did heal over the next six months, he would never regain complete control of it for the rest of his life.

In a way, the attempt on the archduke underscored the rising tensions that were entangling the empires and nation-states of late 19th century Europe. Despite the rising economies and lavish expositions, the politics between the various polities were also becoming more combative and toxic. Upon his trial, the Paris assassin – whose name was Novak Golubović – revealed of his involvement in Serbian nationalist groups and his personal plan to unite every Serb-majority region in the Balkans through violent revolution, exposing once again the consequences of ethnic nationalism and radical ideology to a horrified Europe. While his actions were condemned by every head of state, it also brought fresh air to the perennial conundrum as to the place of ethnic minorities in multinational empires, such as Austria-Hungary.

Perhaps the biggest poster child for this problem was none other than the Ottoman Empire. From the Balkans to North Africa, the question of minorities had become a mindbender for the Porte, with Bulgarian nationalism being the most prominent and irritating. While the empire had retained Rumelia during the Russo-Turkish War [1], the conflict had inadvertently made Bulgarian aspirations to be a cause celebre amongst several European politicians, along with the idea of liberating ethnic Greeks still living under Kostantiniyyian overlordship. The Levant was even worse, with ethnic separatism amongst both Maronite Christians and the Druze being the most troublesome, as well as the perennial status of holy Jerusalem as European royals performed pilgrimages, consecrated churches, and asked for concessions in the region. For now, stability was ensured through the large indemnity payments by Russia from the 1877 war. But as Russian roubles filled the vaults of the Imperial Ottoman Bank, some voiced whether the funds – or the modernization projects fuelled by them – were enough to keep troubles at bay.

For Imperial Russia, the answer was simple: ‘Orthodoxy, Autocracy and Nationality’. Following the assassination of Tsar Alexander II [2], his ultra-conservative successor Alexander III tried to stamp out any radical movements that might undermine Romanov rule. Hundreds of socialists, anarchists, and rabble-rousers were locked up by the authorities and deported to Siberia. The authorities, in turn, instituted a policy of ‘Russifying’ the various ethnic and social groups of the empire, re-writing educational materials and tinkering with learning institutions to promote the ideal of a strong, monarchical Russia. In fact, from 1881 to 1904, the only large ethnic grouping that escaped Russification were the Finns. Elsewhere, autocracy was the word from Warsaw to Vladivostok.

And with that, came the expulsions. While the migration of Poles, Ukrainians, and other ethnicities from Imperial Russia increased during this period, none matched the scale of the Jewish peoples and the Muslim Caucasians. Blamed as scapegoats for the 1877 war and the assassination of Alexander II, the new government under his son was overflowing with anti-Semites at the local level, stoking tensions in the Pale of Settlement as well as viewing the Muslim minorities of the Caucasus mountains as Ottoman collaborators. Pogroms and expulsions exploded in occurrence, with settlers and townsfolk looting or taking over lands and businesses owned by their Abrahamic cousins. The passing of the July Laws, which severely restricted Jews in work, travel, and association, added fuel to the fire.

In the Final Fifteen Years, over 2,000,000 Jews and 360,000 Muslim Caucasians [3] of various ethnic groups left the Russian Empire, treading paths that would lead them to Europe, the Levant, the Americas, and beyond…

balkan troubles small.jpg

Emiliana Ardelean, The Great War: An Overview, (Editorial Humanitas: 1981)

…Many historians cite the Horrible Compromise of Tunisia as the beginning of Europe’s slide into industrial war, with the crisis of 1879 arousing deep resentment on many sides over the matter of colonial expansion and international sea routes. [4]

As the fallout from the compromise was made clear, several European nations began ramping up their colonial projects in Africa and Asia, all in the name of securing resources, markets, and international prestige. It also began the quest for several Great Powers to secure naval choke points or stopover ports to secure trade and national interests, as Great Britain’s vehement intercession over the Tunisia Crisis for continued access though the Sicily Strait showed. While it shouldn’t be said that the Ottoman Empire’s use of Alula or Russia and Austria-Hungary’s quest for naval ports in Sundaland [5] were all inspired by the rupture, it is important to note how the Crisis blew fresh air to the issue of acquiring stopover places for global influence.

However, it is undeniable that the resignation of Otto Von Bismarck as German Chancellor on June 11, 1890 also played a key role in unravelling regional – and thus, global – peace. While Bismarck was conservative in playing global politics, the newly-crowned Kaiser Wilhelm II [6] wanted to see the German Empire become an active world power and viewed the chancellor’s careful manipulation of foreign affairs as hindering, as he called it, “Our rightful place in the sun.” After the dismissal of Bismarck, Wilhelm carefully appointed a slew of weak successors to prevent another Iron Chancellor from taking the helm of government, but it also opened the way for the emperor’s bellicose actions to make itself known across the world, resulting in numerous diplomatic mishaps.

Perhaps chief of these was the alliance between France and Russia. Since the Franco-Prussian War, Bismarck had used every possible opportunity to prevent any European nation from allying with the Third Republic and form an anti-German alliance. This all unravelled following the Iron Chancellor’s exit, though the seeds of rapprochement were already sown as far back as the mid-1880’s when Parisian bankers gave generous loans to St. Petersburg to fuel the latter empire’s industrial growth. Bismarck’s exit simply removed the final hurdle and both sides formalized military agreements in the spring of 1891, driven in part to counter German influence and maintain the balance of power in the continent.

Le_Petit_Journal_small.jpg

The front cover of the 1893 edition of the Petit Journal, commemorating the Franco-Russian alliance.

The Balkans and eastern Mediterranean also became another hotspot for the Great Powers, with the troubles of the Balkans being the most prominent. However, the 1890’s also saw the rise of another state that sought gains at another’s expense: the Kingdom of Italy. Their failed grab at Tunisia saw Italian foreign policy taking a distinctly anti-Ottoman bent as nationalists sought to claim the state as a successor to the Roman Empire; plans for an Italian Tunisia and Libya were shelved but never fully forgotten, and Neopolitan merchants continued to settle and create businesses all over the Mediterranean rim. Some academics have posited that Rome’s colonization of coastal territories in the Horn of Africa were a method of going against Egyptian and Ottoman policy without provoking direct confrontation.

But all this changed during the Cretean Crisis of 1894. Up to this point, the island of Crete had been an autonomous state under the Ottoman Empire, ruled by a system in which Christian Greeks were given prominent status in both governance and military matters. While the arrangement did quell tensions for the short-term, it never truly erase the deep aspiration among nationalists of union with the nearby Kingdom of Greece. However, such dreams often meant butting heads with the island’s minority Muslim Greeks and Turks whom make up around 31% of the population, with communal violence breaking out in 1881, 1888, and 1892 [7]. The fact that several past governor-generals tinkered with both Ottoman and Cretan policy did not help matters.

This all came to a head in 1894 with the arrival of Alexander Karatheodori Pasha, an Ottoman Greek politician whom sought to apply the island’s policies vis-à-vis the government in Kostantiniyye. While nobly intentioned, his tenure as governor-general angered Muslim Greeks whom revolted against his implementation of Cretan law, resulting in the island becoming an inter-communal war zone by the following year. Intent on halting the bloodshed, Sultan Abdul Hamid II revoked the island’s autonomous status and sent troops to quell the violence, only to find the majority Greek population now arrayed against them. With lurid reports circulating on the broadsheets, a decision was made by July for an international force from all the Great Powers to march and stabilize the island.

600px-British_Marines_in_Chania,_1897.jpg

A contingent of British troops from the international force marching in Crete.

In the aftermath, it was decided for Crete to have its own parliament and be executively led by a member of the Greek royal family, yet still maintain its place as a part of the Ottoman Empire. This enraged the government in Athens, whom sought to include the island as a new part of the Greek nation. A faction of pro-war politicians advocated to take Crete by force, only to be met by a standoff at the Yanya Vilayet and a wall of Ottoman naval cruisers in the Aegean, patrolling the island as a contingency measure against outside Greek meddling. Additionally, both the governments of Great Britain and Austria-Hungary spoke out against the venture, wanting to secure Ottoman integrity in the Balkans.

As a result, Greece began eying for prospective partners. An alliance with Serbia was already in the books since the 1877 war [8], yet countering Ottoman supremacy required an even bigger and diplomatically superior backer. Russia was seriously considered, yet few were eager to stoke the explosive implications just yet. Spain was considered, yet their improper handling of the Cuban and Philippine conflicts became a stumbling block.

Then, Italy was brought up.

It wasn't a welcoming suggestion, especially since there were voices in Rome whom espoused taking the Ionian Islands as, “integral Italian soil”. Nevertheless, the Italian government’s anti-Ottoman stance was well-known and the state’s diplomatic clout was internationally substantial. It also helped that several Italian founding fathers like Garibaldi supported the previous Cretan uprisings and that anti-Greek irredentism was mostly seen as ludicrous. Prospective feelers were sent out in mid-1897, with a tentative non-aggression pact signed the next year. By August 1888, an agreement was hashed out that both Athens and Rome would support the other against Ottoman aggression…

…With all the alliances going on, it is perhaps understandable why so many historians overlook the personal relations of the imperial monarchs themselves, and especially those of Wilhelm II and the Austrian Habsburgs. While the Kaiser may have seen his Germany as a new Great Power, his unpredictable and bellicose statements against the Balkan Slavs saw the creation of a diplomatic rift with his Austrian counterparts. Both crown prince Rudolf [9] and archduke Ferdinand saw Wilhelm’s words as aggravating ethnic tensions within the empire, and even Emperor Franz Joseph admitted in his journals that the German emperor, “…[has] verbal barbs that do more than anything to drive the Serbians for Russia”.

There was also the fact that favouring a stable Balkan Peninsula also meant drifting closer to the foreign policy of Great Britain, which was what happened to both the Ottoman and Austro-Hungarian governments during the ‘90s. But Wilhelm disliked Britain, seeing it as both a partner and rival to his German ambitions. He wanted his nation to be as great as the British, but equally envied it and sought to eclipse both the United Kingdom and the British Empire in wealth, power, and territorial reach. Perhaps then it is no surprise that he saw Austro-Hungarian rapprochement with London in both Europe and the East Indies [10] as a traitorous insult to German brotherhood. Though Berlin and Vienna still maintain close ties, the distance between its monarchs began to grow…

German rulers.jpg

A contemporary postcard from Germany, presenting the supposed friendship between Wilhelm II and Franz Joseph.

Notes:

[1] See post #566 on the Russo-Turkish War.

[2] See post #674 on Tsar Alexander II’s death.

[3] I based this from the 1897 Russian census on the Dagestan and Tersk Oblasts.

[4] See post #710 about the Tunisia Crisis.

[5] Posts #1004, #1027, and #1090 respectively.

[6] He still exists, though his ITTL persona is a bit different due to his mother birthing him normally for the period. Without a deformed left arm, his mother won’t be as obsessive on his health as OTL, saving Wilhelm from developing a severe inferiority complex with his royal cousins, though he still harbours some personality issues from his upbringing and reactionary views from his tutors.

[7] Some OTL censuses on Crete showed its Muslim population as much lower for the period. ITTL, the victory of the Ottomans staved off some migration from the island.

[8] Based on the OTL Greco-Serbian alliance of 1867, which was scuppered due to the Serbian prince being murdered shortly after the agreement. ITTL an alliance did not happen until the end of the Russo-Turkish War.

[9] Unlike his OTL counterpart, Rudolf is still breathing!

[10] Remember the Oil Policy?

Last edited:
Things are definitely sliding closer to war. If Germany isn't careful, she might find herself fresh out of friends, and even Wilhelm must figure out that he needs someone to be his friend at some point.

I do wonder whether Italy, Greece and Serbia would be enough to take down the Ottomans. Certainly they would be quite dominant navally, but the question is whether it allows them the force projection needed.

What about some second rate power like netherland? While have no stake in europe conflict the east hindies is another story. But i can see why the want don't to join either. But unlike otl ww1 many power have competing interest in the east hindies maybe they will be forced to take side at some point.

Same for sarawak but sarawak case more clear cut because while the brookes have independent action they still seen as british extension and sabah still an issue. Don't know what will happen to phillipines.