Of lost monkeys and broken vehicles

@Lascaris I wonder if ITTL Cyprus has been home to some bomber units targeting transportation infrastructure in south Turkey, distances from Turkey are not very big.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/embed?mid=1GXKoRqKq7afQmA_-l_cUuh9V4mw&msa=0&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=34.1038450621359,34.299316679687514&spn=0.899241,1.672668&z=7&output=embed
After all Cyprus had IOTL a raiway line until 1951 that had been used in WWII to transfer men and equipment between the port of Famagusta and the Nicosia airport. and thus the logistical support for a bomber wing could be easier.
It would make a certain degree of sense. Of course at the moment the two sides have rough air parity in the Near East and the Caucasus...
That will be a huge boon for Greece after the war, as IOTL there was a railway only until Agrinio. The Italian occupation authorities tried to complete an expansion until Amfilochia but the project stopped after the Italian armistice.
Infrastructure improvement was a thing the Western Allies were extremely good at. I'm having the Greeks and Turks expanding railroads, if by... different means, at a rate of about 1 km a day, as much as the Japanese managed in Burma. I don't think that's implausible. Of course the British, or rather the New Zealanders. managed triple that in Libya but the terrain in Greece is rather more challenging.

In what condition though?

If she has to stay for some time in Trondheim for some repairs before leaving for Germany for more comprehensive repairs, I would expect that this battle will force the RN to try to attack her with the FAA. The damage inflicted by the surface elements to the convoy was massive and the Admiralty will receive pressure for more attacks.
It was massive that's true. Then PQ 17 a few months later in OTL lost 24 ships. So have the Germans been lucky or unlucky here... from having more long range aircraft thanks to Wever? On the upside they massacred one of the Murmansk convoys. On the downside by now they are down to a single battleship. It's true the RN has also suffered heavier casualties TTL, both Renown and Repulse were sunk, but overall attrition seems to be clearly to its favour even if one forgets the French and the single Greek battleship.
Ooh partisan stuff happening... How'll the WAllies react to this? I hope they get a beachhead or could get to liberating Greece once again. Considering North Africa is WAllies, I could see the next objective being the full liberation of European Greece and marching to Constantinople should be right around the corner.
A beachhead could well bring half a dozen panzer divisions down the Yugoslav and Bulgarian railways. Now the Germans would not quite like doing this, they are preparing the offensive against the Soviet Union that will finish it off, rilly believe us this time, but IT IS, within their capacity to do so in early 1942.
The loss of a supply convoy is bad but worth it if it meant sinking one battleship and damaging another.
In the end it is a battle of attrition. And the German surface fleet has kept being attrited since Norway...
Expanding the railways in Greece is great, definitely will help with supplying the Epirote Front, and will leave them better positioned to counterattack the Italians later on. With Slim reaching Sirnak, (though presumably not taking the city quite yet), Turkey is going to start facing a lot of pressure along their eastern front even if the Soviets are still at the gates of Erzurum. It will also make supplying Kurdish guerrillas easier.
Slim has hit the Kurdish mountains here and for good measure roads are not exactly abundant there. But as you mention he's not the only one who is going to be facing problems here...

I don't know much about the Polish Army and Stalin but this sounds like a big deal to me. Iran is gaining little from their intervention but they're facing fewer costs compared to OTL, still will be interested to see what happens.
Iran is IMO immensely better off TTL, so far. Got rid of the Pahlavis, a good oil deal and not gotten occupied for good measure. Now what happens to the Kurds (and the Assyrians) will be interesting question for Teheran. On one hand they have a biggish Kurdish minority. On the other hand any potential Kurdish state is likely to be landlocked and so would Assyria. Turkey and Iraq can be assumed would be hostile, so...
Greek partisans are starting to coordinate, this should be fun. Great job as ever Las, can't wait to see what happens next!
Thank a lot!
Well, I'd believe that if TTL Greek and Balkan (Yugoslavian) been partisan resistance would get similar if not bigger attention and coordination with London and in this case, with Athenas, that the OTL French Maquis. So, I'd suppose that even if it won't be already planned/approved that at least the Allies general staff in both capitals, given its suggested magnitude, should be aware of what's being planned.
There is an interesting question how the relation between the communist and the non-communist resistance goes. In Yugoslavia IMO it's still civil war, the only question is how less stuck in their posterior, to put it politely the Chetniks are, Mihailovic will be getting told from Athens to start doing something about the train going south Serbia or they'll be finding someone who can do the job, with 200,000 mostly Serb troops retreating to Greece there are options. In Greece proper, Athens won't be exactly happy if the Communist resistance gets frisky, can put pressure on the Party leadership directly, they are in Athens after all, and is not dependent on SOE either...
I see that these railway lines aren't linked with the mainline from Athens to Thessaloniki, are there any plans to change this, or will connection be via a rail ferry from Patras? Connecting the lines from Antirrion to Livadia via Delphi looks like it could be very challenging given the terrain, so goin south may be a better option.
I don't think it's worth the effort. You can use the rail to Patras and then ferry things across. For that matter you can sail ships through the Corinth canal straight to the north coast ports.
Long-term post-war going from Amfilochia to Ioannina is the next logical step to further strenghten the network, I recall that a railway line to Ioannina and further on to Argyrókastro was built TTL?
That would be making sense yes.
Anything that helps Greek infrastructure will be a good thing post war, since even today Greek infrastructure outside Athens is not as good as comparable European countries.
Geography is not exactly helpful for Greece which is usually forgotten.
It looks like TTL may see top grade motorways and railways connecting Greece and Yugoslavia to central Europe. An excellent development over OTL, great for trade and tourism. Nice to see the Balkans not always getting the short end of the stick and being on the margins of Europe.
This is going to be for post-war, but given's Greece natural position at the exit of shipping lanes from Suez, could there be any plans to capitalise on this through large industrialisation of port areas, similar to what Italy did in Taranto with the steelworks or France in Fos?
Piraeus was already known as the Manchester of the East and Greek industry post war had 3 decades of pretty rapid growth along the rest of the economy. Here if Central Greece/Athens survive 1942-43 it will be starting from a higher base.
On that note, how big do you see Constantinople being ITTL as Istanbul has more people than Greece IOTL? I'd say it would be around the same size as Vienna in our world (1.5 to 2 million people) ITTL.
I'm not inclined to answer since well spoilers. But as of 1940 Constantinople had 408,000 Greeks, Athens 700,000, Smyrna 567,000 and Thessaloniki 200,000. By comparison OTL Athens had 1,124,000, Thessaloniki 284,000 add there were about 110,000 Greeks in Constantinople.
Larcaris could this ittl color magic ferry be greek? It could connect Piraeus to Smyrna
Shipping lines going Athens to Smyrna (and I say Athens as the ships are more likely to go from Laurion or Rafina than Piraeus) are pretty certain to exist. It would be ~7 hours by ship, no worse than Piraeus to Crete. A slightly more interesting question is whether you'll still have Piraeus or Laurion-Constantinople line. Without high speed rail that would be... about 32 hours in the 1940s, call it 16 hours by the 21st century. Ship would be about the same. But I nevertheless doubt it.

Not really a coastal or near coastal city like adana or attalia will attract more immigrants
I'd think Sivas would be the biggest city since Ankara is the second biggest city in otl, and since Turkey doesn't have Constantinople ittl I'd think the capital would do well. The other big cities should be Samsun and Trabzon (trade with the Soviets) and Adana. Antalya would be too close to the Greeks for med trade and Adana would do that job well without being close to the enemy.

Maybe Sinop could be Turkey's main Black Sea port?
Sinope makes sense too.

Adana would be one of the big cities in Turkey. It's so cursed considering that Symrna and Prusa are like the biggest cities in Turkey and ittl are most likely going to be Greek. Tbf most of the biggest cities are in western Anatolia otl.

Sinope makes sense too.

Adana would be one of the big cities in Turkey. It's so cursed considering that Symrna and Prusa are like the biggest cities in Turkey and ittl are most likely going to be Greek. Tbf most of the biggest cities are in western Anatolia otl.
Konya would be another big city in Turkey as well.

The question is for which Turkey will Sinop be the main Black Sea port. We may see 2 Turkeys after the war, a Soviet aligned one and a Western Allies aligned one. Unless Turkey becomes something like Finland IOTL.
I think if we have two Turkey's we're going to see a civil war type situation. And I think the soviets will win.

In the scenario of a revanchist Turkey it’s possible that they’d create a “New Kostantiniyye” as close to Constantinople as possible and try to swell its population in the hopes of repopulating the Bosporus with Turks if/when they reconquer it.

In the scenario of a revanchist Turkey it’s possible that they’d create a “New Kostantiniyye” as close to Constantinople as possible and try to swell its population in the hopes of repopulating the Bosporus with Turks if/when they reconquer it.
It'd be on the black sea coast since the straits of Marmara are Greek ittl and Prusa should be Greek too.