Why were Ottawa and Toronto replaced?

I guess something to do with Quebec leaving.

Without Quebec, without Newfoundland and the Maritimes, and with the whole oregon country the center of power/population is much further west than IRL, i'm sure there were a lot of talks about moving the capital even before quebec's secession (if it happened in the 50s/60s). So i guess that's why they quicly moved it first to toronto then to alberta.

Why were Ottawa and Toronto replaced?

I guess something to do with Quebec leaving.

Without Quebec, without Newfoundland and the Maritimes, and with the whole oregon country the center of power/population is much further west than IRL, i'm sure there were a lot of talks about moving the capital even before quebec's secession (if it happened in the 50s/60s). So i guess that's why they quicly moved it first to toronto then to alberta.

That's pretty much it. Canada discovered some slight problems in situating their capital on the border of a province in rebellion, and so moved it to Toronto because it was close by, and being a provincial capital, had most of the requirements to host a government. Following the formalisation of Quebec's departure, it was decided to move the capital somewhere closer to the centre of population.

Gabingston

Kicked
That's pretty much it. Canada discovered some slight problems in situating their capital on the border of a province in rebellion, and so moved it to Toronto because it was close by, and being a provincial capital, had most of the requirements to host a government. Following the formalisation of Quebec's departure, it was decided to move the capital somewhere closer to the centre of population.
Hon Hon Hon! Vive Le Québec Libre!

Government press release: 22/8/2019
Vale Tim Fischer.
Threadhead.png
wgit6Ve.png

(Credit to the IRL PM, Scott Morrison, whose statement I have used parts of to make this one)

Hey, I know it's not very relevant to the post at hand, but I was wondering what happened to the Pyramids, seeing egypt is controlled by crazy islamists. Has it been destroyed Taliban-style, or just shuttered to tourists?

Hey, I know it's not very relevant to the post at hand, but I was wondering what happened to the Pyramids, seeing egypt is controlled by crazy islamists. Has it been destroyed Taliban-style, or just shuttered to tourists?
Perhaps they claim the pyramids were built later after Islam took hold in Egypt?

Perhaps they claim the pyramids were built later after Islam took hold in Egypt?

Sorry for not addressing this before now. The Islamic government of Egypt tacitly accepts the Pyramids’ presence, mostly to try to bring in tourists and soften their image to the outside world. However, UNESCO has accused the Egyptian government of neglecting them and essentially attempting to everything but send in the bulldozers. This is the key difference in the foreign policy of the Islamic Republics; Egypt tries to look like a reasonable, responsible member of the international community most of the time (think Iran), while other states like Sokoto decry the vile infidels on a daily basis (think Daesh).

I am still working on this, I promise! It’s just that when you’re trying to do four or five things at once, none of them end up getting done. I’m making good progress on a number of things though.

As a preview, here’s the flag of the Free City of Jerusalem, the international territory under Union of Nations sovereignty that is responsible for one of the world’s holiest cities.

Eyy00Ez.png

This is possibly my favourite flag I’ve made so far, partly because I really like how it turned out, and also because I had to draw the symbol entirely from scratch, using a very blurry small image of a proposed cost of arms for Mandatory Palestine. I ended up with this, which I like a lot. Anyway, the point is expect stuff to do with this soon; also Britain, the US, China and various bits of Australian miscellany.

Free City of Jerusalem; Council of Ambassadors
Threadhead.png

wTurW9d.png

Jerusalem, officially the Free City of Jerusalem, is a city-state in the Middle East, located on a plateau in the Judaean Mountains between the Mediterranean and the Dead Sea. It is one of the oldest cities in the world, and is considered holy to the three major Abrahamic religions - Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. The city is under international administration by the Union of Nations, although with significant self-government; it borders the Jewish Republic of Palestine to the north, and the British overseas territory of Sinai to the south.

During its long history, Jerusalem has been destroyed at least twice, besieged 23 times, captured and recaptured 44 times, and attacked 52 times. The part of Jerusalem called the City of David shows first signs of settlement in the 4th millennium BCE, in the shape of encampments of nomadic shepherds. During the Israelite period, significant construction activity in Jerusalem began in the 9th century BCE, and in the 8th century the city developed into the religious and administrative center of the Kingdom of Judah. In 1538, the city walls were rebuilt for a last time around Jerusalem under Suleiman the Magnificent. Today those walls define the Old City, which has been traditionally divided into four quarters—known since the early 19th century as the Armenian, Christian, Jewish, and Muslim Quarters; the Old City became a World Heritage Site in 1955.

Since 1860, Jerusalem has grown far beyond the Old City's boundaries, reaching an estimated population of 807,900 by the modern day. Jews make up a majority of the population, at just under 55%; Muslim and Christian populations are almost equal, both making up approximately 22% of Jerusalem’s population.

According to the Bible, King David conquered the city from the Jebusites and established it as the capital of the united kingdom of Israel, and his son, King Solomon, commissioned the building of the First Temple. The holiness of Jerusalem in Christianity was reinforced by the New Testament account of Jesus' ministry and crucifixion there. While not generally considered part of the city of Jerusalem, the city of Bethlehem - sacred to Christians as the site of Jesus’ birth - is also under the control of the Free City. In Sunni Islam, Jerusalem is the third-holiest city, after Mecca and Medina. In Islamic tradition, in 610 CE it became the first qibla, the focal point for Muslim prayer, and Muhammad made his Night Journey there ten years later, ascending to heaven where he speaks to God, according to the Quran. As a result, despite having an area of only 0.9 square kilometres (0.35 sq mi), the Old City is home to many sites of seminal religious importance, among them the Temple Mount with its Western Wall, Dome of the Rock and al-Aqsa Mosque, and the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. Outside the Old City stands the Garden Tomb.

Following a number of centuries undo the rule of the Ottoman Empire, in 1919 the Empire was dissolved by the Treaty of Créteil, which placed Jerusalem and its surrounds under British sovereignty. In 1920, following the partition of the Levant, Britain handed the territory over to international control under a Council of Powers, who administered it as the Jerusalem Free Territory. Following the end of the World War and the establishment of the Union of Nations, control over the city was handed over to the new institution, which established self-rule in the city under the Jerusalem Basic Law, which guarantees equal rights to all citizens, regardless of race or religion. Modern day Jerusalem is the cultural focal point of the Middle East with a significant tourism sector, as well as a well-developed technological sector which contributes to the city’s wealth and prosperity as the fourth richest city in the Middle East.

~

hSuJdgU.png

The Council of Ambassadors of the Free City of Jerusalem is the upper house of the General Council, the legislature of the city-state of Jerusalem. In contrast to the directly elected lower house, the Council of Representatives, the members of the Council of Ambassadors are appointed by governments of foreign states and the Union of Nations. The Council, due to its unelected nature, is primarily tasked with reviewing laws passed by the Council of Representatives, to ensure that they comply with the Basic Law, do not favour any one political, religious or ethnic group, and to uphold the generals peace and security of the state. Members of the Council fall into three categories. Ambassadors of Justice are elected by the Union of Nations General Council at its annual meetings, with one member elected to a five-year term annually. The Ambassadors of Justice are primarily tasked with defending equality of rights in the city, especially between cultural groups, and are often seen to advocate for additional cultural representation for various groups in the city. The three Ambassadors of Peace are each appointed by one of the superpowers - the United States, the United Kingdom and France - who provide the majority of troops to the Jerusalem Guard, the city’s defence force. They are especially responsible for defending Jerusalem’s interests abroad, and protecting it from outside threats. The Ambassadors of Faith represent the three main religious groups of the city, and are nominated by nations key to that faith. Hence, Palestine appoints an ambassador to represent the Jewish community, Arabia (as home to Mecca and Medina, the holiest cities in Islam), appoints an ambassador to represent the Muslim community, and the Holy See appoints an ambassador, representing the various Christian communities in the city. While most members remain neutral in day to day politics, the Council as a whole holds a rarely-exercised veto power over laws passed by the Council of Representatives, and also serves as the final court of appeal for the city. While it is occasionally accused of bias or being unrepresentative, most international observers agree that the Council plays a crucial role in maintaining the peace and prosperity of the Free City of Jerusalem.

~
Credit where it’s due: most of the ancient history is taken directly from Wikipedia; other parts I’ve reworded slightly, but most is my own work.

I certainly enjoyed creating this little snapshot into a more peaceful Jerusalem; it’s been in my head since I created the TL and I’ve finally gotten around to making it. I’m especially proud of my creation of such a unique political system, and I hope you all like it!

If you have any questions, fire away! Any suggestions or ideas for what I should do or bring forward, tell me and I’ll do my best. Your questions and suggestions are what keeps me going, so even though I’m bad at answering them, keep ‘em coming!

There’s a lot more about the Middle East I hope to share someday; I hope this whets your appetite!

United States of America
It's been a long time; exams and other pressures have meant that I haven't been able to spend as much time on this as I wanted, but I still haven't given up! In the lead up to their midterm elections later this week, here's the land of the free, and the home of the brave!

Threadhead.png

ddjrjnu-9a7083bd-6064-4279-b9b5-692521f29c4f.png

The United States of America, also known as the United States or America, is a sovereign state in North America comprising 50 states, a federal district, and one self-governing territory. With a population of over 346 million people, it is one of the world's most populous countries and is widely regarded as a global hyperpower. Bordered by Canada and Quebec to the North and Mexico to the south, 48 of America's 50 states are located in the upper part of the North American continent. The state of Panama borders Costa Rica and Colombia, while the island state of Cuba shares maritime borders with the Bahamas, Haiti and the Antilles. The nation's capital, Washington, is named after the country's first president; the most populous city is New York City.

Settlement of the North American mainland by Paleo-Indians began at least 12,000 years ago; European colonization began in the 16th century. What is now the United States emerged from thirteen British colonies established along the East Coast of the continent; numerous disputes between Great Britain and the colonies led to the American Revolutionary War of 1775-1783, resulting in the independence of the colonies, and their federation into a democratic republic. Embarking on a process of expansion across the continent throughout the 19th century, new territories were acquired through purchase and war (often including the dispossession of native peoples), with new states being steadily admitted until the nation reached the Pacific Ocean in 1848. Conflicts over the institution of slavery and the desire of many Southern states to uphold that institution lead to two civil wars in the second half of the 19th century, ultimately resulting in the abolition of slavery and the beginning of the Reconstruction Era that fundamentally reshaped American politics. By the mid-20th century, the United States had emerged as a strong economic and military power, competitive with the great powers of Europe.

In the aftermath of the World War, the United States became widely recognised as a superpower; they maintain a policy of neutrality in the Silent War between the Commonwealth and the League, while maintaining strong influence throughout the Americas through the Association of American Nations. As a member of the Great Council of the Union of Nations, the United States wields great diplomatic power and is generally regarded as the world's single most powerful nation with the world's second largest navy, second largest army, and a GDP far exceeding that of all other nations.

As a federal republic and a representative democracy, the United States is sometimes known as the "birthplace of democracy". It has three official languages at the federal level - English, Spanish and French - although English is spoken by almost all Americans. It is a founding member of the Union of Nations, World Bank, International Monetary Fund, Association of American Nations, Non-Aligned Movement, and other international organizations. It is a highly developed country, with the world's largest economy, holding over a third of the world's total wealth. Despite significant disparities in income and wealth, the United States is ranked highly in measures of socioeconomic performance, including average wage, median income, median wealth, human development and per capita GDP. It is regarded as the world's leading political, cultural, and scientific force internationally, with a cultural reach greater than that of any other nation.

~

Throw your questions at me!

Last edited:
@KaiserEmu, let me ask you questions regarding the United States:
  • How the United States grab Panama? What Panama is famous for?
  • Who is the U.S. president at the time that Quebec has broken off and gains OTL Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Prince Edward Islands?
  • In what state where there are several high-tech companies have based there like OTL Silicon Valley? Is it California or Texas?
  • What OTL Christian Right would look like in the TTL?
  • What Richard Nixon is doing in the TTL?

*Marvelous update*
~

Throw your questions at me!

It's great to have you back, I missed this magnificent TL!

Although the update has many things, I think the detail that interests me the most is the fact that you mented not one but two civil wars over slavery.