Of Droughts And Flooding Rains

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by KaiserEmu, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Ugly Idiot Beautiful Genius

What's the capital of Canada?

Gabingston likes this.
  2. KaiserEmu Emperor and Autocrat of all the Emus, etc.

The current capital of Canada is Calgary, Alberta. It has been the capital since 1972, when it replaced Toronto, which replaced Ottawa six years earlier.

3. terranova210486 Well-Known Member

Why were Ottawa and Toronto replaced?

4. TheKutKu Well-Known Member

I guess something to do with Quebec leaving.

Without Quebec, without Newfoundland and the Maritimes, and with the whole oregon country the center of power/population is much further west than IRL, i'm sure there were a lot of talks about moving the capital even before quebec's secession (if it happened in the 50s/60s). So i guess that's why they quicly moved it first to toronto then to alberta.

5. KaiserEmu Emperor and Autocrat of all the Emus, etc.

That's pretty much it. Canada discovered some slight problems in situating their capital on the border of a province in rebellion, and so moved it to Toronto because it was close by, and being a provincial capital, had most of the requirements to host a government. Following the formalisation of Quebec's departure, it was decided to move the capital somewhere closer to the centre of population.

DrWalpurgis likes this.
  6. Gabingston Well-Known Member

Hon Hon Hon! Vive Le Qu├ębec Libre!

DrWalpurgis likes this.