Ulster's having fun.

View attachment 448668

WRea7P.png
I can’t see the picture (although I can see it in the editor if I quote your comment

Right, now I really am back!

Real life got in the way, but things are getting back on track there, so I'm back (again) and with lots of stuff ready to go!

And if I need to take another break (but hopefully not), I'll actually tell you and ask for a fishing trip, so it's a bit clearer.

Sorry!!

Before I get into the new stuff, I should answer some of your questions...

I'm going to ask you a question, why Ulster Free State had remained a huge battlefield and why the HDI is slowly dropping?

Northern Ireland remains a battlefield because:

a) The separatists are very devoted to their cause, and are not going to give up until all of Ireland is united;
b) The current British government is also refusing to compromise;
c) The separatists are far too weak to control much more than they currently do;
d) The government forces could expand further, but the human cost from the terrorist attacks would be utterly unreasonable. As it is, the current loss of life is already highly controversial.

The HDI is actually dropping very fast. It has something to do with the flattening of their second largest city and destruction of about a third of the country.

Who seems to be winning this war so far?

As above, no one in particular - it's sort of settled into a stalemate.

The UK could easily 'win' if they wanted to, but they don't want to because of the endless terror attacks that would in practice negate any victory on the battlefield.

The UFS absolutely can not win militarily - their strategy is basically to wear the UK forces out in a war of attrition so that it is no longer feasible for them to continue fighting, or they lose the appetite to fight, and evacuate NI.

Neither will happen any time soon, but the UFS is closer to its goals; public opinion in the UK is rapidly turning against the war.

(Un)fortunately, that opinion doesn't really matter, as there hasn't been a general election since 2009.

Oh Joy, ill book my Holiday now.

Enjoy!?

UK high speed rail system
A bit off topic but I’ve noticed the uk has some kind of high speed rail system?

Oh no, the train questions begin... now the excessively detailed lore comes out of the woodwork...

It does!

ONEKrOF.png

The aforementioned Northern Extension is from Liverpool to Newcastle (partly via the Woodhead route, which is still open ITTL), delayed due to redirection of funds towards, y'know, fighting a war.

Middlesex Junction is the name for what we call Old Oak Common ITTL.
Elizabeth II Airport is near Cublington.
Longeaton Parkway is at Long Eaton, halfway between Derby and Nottingham.

Most of the other place names should be clear enough.

The image used in the wikibox is adapted from one made by Paul Burkitt-Gray here.

Oh no, the train questions begin... now the excessively detailed lore comes out of the woodwork...

It does!

ONEKrOF.png

The aforementioned Northern Extension is from Liverpool to Newcastle (partly via the Woodhead route, which is still open ITTL), delayed due to redirection of funds towards, y'know, fighting a war.

Middlesex Junction is the name for what we call Old Oak Common ITTL.
Elizabeth II Airport is near Cublington.
Longeaton Parkway is at Long Eaton, halfway between Derby and Nottingham.

Most of the other place names should be clear enough.

The image used in the wikibox is adapted from one made by Paul Burkitt-Gray here.
Thanks that clears some things up

Independent State of Maluku
No, I'm not dead.

Threadhead.png

c2HPTU4.png

Maluku, officially the Independent State of Maluku (Malay: Negara Merdeka Maluku), is a country in Indonesia in South East Asia. The sovereign state is a presidential, constitutional republic with an elected parliament. Spread across a series of islands between the Banda, Arafura and Celebes Seas, it is bordered by New Guinea to the east, Kidulia, Sunda and East Timor to the south, and Sulawesi and Palau to the west. The country is primarily agricultural, with a significant tourism sector and also some resource extraction.

Religions such as Islam and Christianity were brought to the islands over a number of centuries, and various European powers, most notably the Netherlands and Portugal, fought one another to monopolise trade on the islands, during the Age of Discovery. Then known as either the Spice Islands or the Moluccas, the Dutch established themselves as the foremost European power by the 18th century. In the early 20th century, the concept of Indonesia as a nation emerged, and independence movements began to take shape, however they remained more subdued in Maluku, partly due to its effective subordination to its Dutch masters and also thanks partly to its above-average Christian population.

During the decolonisation of Asia after the World War, Maluku gained independence in 1950, after Nusantara, Kidulia and Bali, while retaining close ties to the Netherlands. In 1989, ongoing sectarian conflict escalated into a civil war between Christian and Muslim communities, ultimately resolved in 2002 with a new government, supported by Kidulia, Australasia and Sarawak based on a power-sharing agreement and the establishment of a Truth and Reconciliation Commission.

Modern Maluku consists of many distinct ethnic and linguistic groups, however most now speak either the Ambonese or Ternatese varieties of Malay as a lingua franca. Maluku is a member of several international organisations, including the Union of Nations, World Trade Organisation, and the G22. It is also a founding member of the Non-Aligned Movement, Association of Asian Nations and Asia Pacific Economic Partnership. It currently has an application pending for membership in the Australian Assembly.​

Last edited:
Bob Hawke
Vale Bob Hawke.

Threadhead.png

AMlzs6z.png

Robert James Lee Hawke, COA, KGCC (9 December 1929 – 16 May 2019) was an Australasian politician who served as the 20th prime minister of Australasia from 1982 to 1988, and leader of the Labour Party from 1979 to 1988, while serving as Member of Parliament for Pentridge from 1973 to 1988.

Hawke was born in Wolseley, Princeland in 1929. He attended the University of Portland and went on to Oxford University as a Rhodes Scholar. In 1956, Hawke joined the Australasian Federation of Trade Unions (AFTU), rising through the ranks to be elected president in 1968, where he gained a high public profile. In 1972, Hawke announced his intention to enter politics, and was subsequently elected to the House of Assembly as the Labour MP for Pentridge, in Hobart's inner north.

After serving as a minister in the Kirk and Whitlam cabinets, and as Shadow Minister for Industrial Relations in the Whitlam shadow cabinet, he became Labour leader in 1979 following Whitlam's second successive election defeat. In 1982, riding off a wave of distrust for the National Party after the Cooksland Crisis and a series of scandals in the Muldoon government, he led his party to a landslide victory and was sworn in as prime minister. Reelected in 1985, the Hawke government created Medicare, negotiated new industrial wages agreements, established the Asia Pacific Economic Partnership (APEP), and deregulated the financial sector.

However, his government's most important legacy was its opening up of the Australasian economy to the world, including overseeing Australasia's integration into the Common Economic Zone and adoption of the Commonwealth pound, while pursuing a closer relationship with many Asian nations such as Japan and Vietnam. He also oversaw the 1986 constitutional referendum, which eliminated all remnant authority of the United Kingdom in Australasia, while granting certain powers to the newly established Commonwealth Parliament, the creation of which was approved by Australasian voters at the same referendum. The 1986 referendum was commonly seen as Australia's independence day, and the date of the referendum is now commemorated as Constitution Day.

Well-known for his consensus style of leadership, Hawke was one of the most popular Prime Ministers of Australasia, however the 1988 general election returned a hung parliament, with which John Hewson was eventually able to form a government in coalition with the Democrats. Hawke resigned from the leadership of his party and from his constituency shortly after. He continued to remain active in politics, in particular supporting his Labour successor Paul Keating.

Hawke died on 16 May 2019, aged 89.​

Aren’t most of the people in the IRL Maluku Islands Christians though?

I thought so too, but apparently the north is about 75% Muslim and the south is about 50-50, so I'm probably actually being slightly generous to the Christians.

If you find other information, I'm happy to change it, as I was a little surprised by it myself.

New Munster provincial election, 2019
I'm on a bit of an election spree at the moment (for hopefully obvious reasons).

Given that there is not an election happening in Australasia this weekend (and besides, that would be far too large an undertaking for me to handle at this point), here's the map of the results of last Saturday's provincial election in New Munster.

New Munster elects their unicameral parliament using STV, electing five members each from eight electoral districts.

The main parties are as follows:

New Munster Labour Party (Rōpū Reipa o Te Waipounamu): Labour, but on a provincial level. Does most of the things you'd expect a labour party to do.
New Munster Party (Rōpū o Te Waipounamu): Centrist to centre-right. Formed after the reunification of New Munster Democrats and Nationals in 1996.

People's Party of New Munster (Rōpū Iwi o Te Waipounamu): A splinter party from the NMP. Economically left-wing and socially conservative, they mainly appeal to the rural population as an agrarian-populist party.
Green Party of New Munster (Rōpū Kākāriki o Te Waipounamu): Your garden-variety green party. Won a seat in the Legislative Assembly for the first time at this election.

And the map!
(The background colour of each electoral district shows the largest party in said district on first preferences.)

NBQT67I.png

The election was a defeat for the incumbent Labour government, who after two terms and a series of unpopular policies, lost their majority in Parliament. However, the result was a hung parliament, with New Munster First holding the balance of power. After a week of negotiations, on Friday it was announced by Opposition Leader Gerry Brownlee that a coalition agreement had been reached with the NMP, and as such the NMP and PPNM would be forming the next provincial government of New Munster.

Last edited:

Isaac Beach

Banned
I of course don’t want to tell you how to write your timeline but I’d love to see more on Costa Norte. Portuguese Cape York’s a cool idea within this wider set of cool ideas.

I of course don’t want to tell you how to write your timeline but I’d love to see more on Costa Norte. Portuguese Cape York’s a cool idea within this wider set of cool ideas.

I'd love to do more on Costa Norte; it's something that very much interests me, and one of my favourite parts of the TL. However, it is a bit complex and I want to get it right. I've got a few things in the works (wikibox and map not least among them), so I am working on it!

cnpreview.png

I feel as though I'm just throwing stuff out into the void though, so if people have questions or suggestions or requests, I'm more than happy to take them!