Ocean of Storms: A Timeline of A Scientific America

Well, this next story is a bit different and, while I don't usually do this, I feel like I should take a moment and give you a bit of an introduction for it.

I've had this concept rattling around for a while now. Long had it been a question as to when and if it should take place in the Ocean of Storms timeline. While I have often maintained that OoS offers entertainment first and accuracy as a distant second, I freely admit that this next chapter may stretch the limits of your disbelief. I make no apologies for doing what I can in the name of spectacle, but I will not find quarrel with anyone who can't keep their eyes from rolling at the end of this little campfire story.

With the utmost faith in my readers to enjoy themselves, I hereby submit for your approval chapter 50: Grand Theft Soyuz.

L: Grand Theft Soyuz
Grand Theft Soyuz

22 October 1996

Skydock Space Station

Orbital Inclination: 29°

Altitude: 272 mi

His hands hurt. That was the biggest thing. He’d been in this suit for coming up on seven hours now. The gloves were rubbing his knuckles raw. Even with the padding from this morning, it was a losing battle.

The pallet mating had took up most of the day. It was a lot more than just bringing the two ports together. The electrical connections were intricate and, even though the engineers claimed they were designed to be worked on with suit gloves, that didn’t exactly make it easy. It was one thing to turn a wrench wearing a glove in a clean room with your feet on the floor, it was another to do it three hundred miles up without a good lever point.

After the electrics, the control center had a devil of a time getting the computers to talk to each other. That was tough enough to do with all that internet stuff on the ground, but trying to hardwire two spacecraft together did not uncomplicate things in the slightest.

“Lucas, we’re still not happy with your numbers. Josh, can you take a look at his gauges, please?” said Jane Alvarez, who had the CAPCOM seat under the mountain today.

“Copy that, NORAD. Stand by one. I’m still closing the panel,” Joshua Abbe said.

He finished shutting the access panel and pushed off. Reaching out to the truss, he began to crawl, heading towards Lucas Ribiero. Lucas was a rookie, and needed a bit of looking after. With this being Abbe’s third spacewalk, Lucas’s safety was very much his responsibility.

Lucas had been on Skydock since June, training and doing research for his bosses at IASA. The press had been hoping for a better story out of Brazil’s first astronaut, but his was no rags to riches story. Lucas’s father was a judge and his mother was a dancer. He’d been top of his class on three different continents.

Still, none of that was helpful when you had a bad carbon dioxide filter.

Abbe took a few minutes to inchworm his way over. He had to track two different safety lines. At least one had to stay connected at all times. Preventing tangles and knots was also on his mind. After about forty feet of crawling, he found himself looking down at Lucas, who was detaching a camera from its mounting point.

“How’s it going, minha amiga?” he asked, putting a hand on Lucas’s shoulder.

“You tell me,” Lucas said, not looking up from his task.

“I’m checking. Um momento,” Abbe said.

He twisted his body, using his wrist as an anchor. He swung around and down over Lucas’s left shoulder, reading the gauge on his backpack.

“NORAD, he’s reading at ten point eight. I’m not happy with it. I’m gonna send Lucas back inside. He’s done for the day.”

“I’m still working on this,” Lucas said.

Abbe tapped Lucas on the back, “It’s not your fault, man. You just got a bad scrubber. Get inside and get some fresh air,” Abbe said.

Lucas sighed, abandoned the camera mounting, and then started to head for the airlock hatch.

“If Lucas goes back in, then so do you, Josh,” Alvarez said.

“Negativo, NORAD. I still need to check that RCS line,” Abbe said.

“We can do that another day, Josh,” Alvarez said.

“I’m already here,” Abbe said.

“That’s not how it works, Josh,” Alvarez said.

“Is David still at the flight director station?” Abbe asked.

“Affirmative,” Alvarez said.

“Look over at him right now. Is he frowning?” Abbe asked.

“Affirmative, Josh.”

“Tell him I got this, and let me do my job,” Abbe said. “It’s either that or he’s got to do this all over again in two weeks. Let’s not get any more behind schedule than we already are.”

Alvarez didn’t respond immediately. Josh took that as a good sign. That meant there was a debate amongst the team about the best course of action. If there was a debate, that meant that they really wanted to let him keep going despite the rules. He didn’t bother waiting. He was already inchworming towards the RCS thruster quad on the C block of the truss. By the time they agreed, he’d be halfway to finding the problem.

He grabbed the RCS quad and clipped his safety lines in place. His feet were cold under the layers of the boots. He could barely feel the metal under his toes. Under being a relative term, of course.

The thruster quad had malfunctioned during an orbital adjustment last week. Thruster issues were like a crack in the ceiling. It led to other problems. Sooner or later, they’d flirt with LOAC. The gyroscopes would get saturated and then all hell would break loose. Communications, power, cooling, all would be affected.

If he didn’t fix this now, he’d have to do it later, and spend another day in this suit. Or worse, someone else would have to handle it. God forbid he let that happen.

The culprit was the internal heater. There had been an overload of the primary about a year ago. The backup had been in use since then. The primary heater was supposed to be replaced, but the flight that was bringing up the replacement had gotten canceled after the bombings. It had been assumed that the backup could handle the hydrazine lines until then.

He looked over and saw Lucas entering the airlock. That was comforting. The station was passing into night. He’d be in darkness shortly. Looking down, he could see the tips of the Rocky Mountains catching the last rays of the sun on the horizon. What a beautiful sight. It was strange to think that the flight controllers were somewhere down there under one of those peaks. Then again twenty minutes from now, he’d be over the Atlantic, so look who’s talking.

Reaching up to the side of the helmet, he turned on the lamps on either side of his head. When the Russians were outside, they just stopped working when they were in darkness. It cut their working time in half, but the work they did was as safe as they could make it. Josh Abbe didn’t have that much time or that much air. The suits were designed for eight hours. Unofficially, they could go to nine, but that was pushing it.

And it was immaterial anyway. He’d done this diagnostic on the ground half a dozen times at the pool in Houston. There was no good reason not to finish the job right now.

The lights of the Gulf coast gave the sense of being watched by fireflies. Houston was down there somewhere, still getting back on its feet. The ribbon cutting on the new building was set for some time after the inauguration. He looked forward to it. He’d done a few tours in NORAD over the past year. Colorado Springs was a lovely town, but he didn’t like the two-weeks in military housing, or the cold rides in under the watchful gaze of uniformed men with big guns. It just wasn’t his scene.

He found the issue with the heater. One of the wiring connections had come loose, likely as not from being the focal point of a thrust powerful enough to push a damn space station. He reconnected the wire trunk back in before he saw the bulge in the RCS line.

SHKRRRRRRRRRRR!

He tumbled. A blast flinging him into the void. His ankle twisted as it lost purchase. He yelped as the pain transmitted up his spinal column. He had lost all grip on the station and was soaring into the infinite black.

His faceplate was a blurred sphere of darkness. It was like going through a carwash with the lights off. He could see nothing but rippling lines of varying shades of black and grey. In his ears was a patchy blend of static and panic.

As suddenly as the first jolt, he found himself pulled hard by the hips. By the time he realized that the safety lines had caught him, it was too late to stop his new momentum vector from taking him right back into the truss. He crossed his arms in front of his face, which was the only thing that saved his life when he crashed, helmet first, back into the Skydock truss.

After a few more bumps and swings, the motion dampening out as the initial momentum was lost, he found a cone of light on the left side of his face. The helmet had protected him, but the lamp near his right temple was dead and he heard nothing but his own breathing.

“What the fuck?”

Despite the name, hydrazine did not behave like water. When frozen, it did not expand but rather contracted, which could lead to packing within fuel lines. When those lines began to thaw, as might happen when a semi-functional heater was suddenly activated at full power, the overpressurized RCS fuel could burst through a line and create a new thruster in whatever random direction it chose to explode towards.

He’d gotten a face full of rocket and somehow was still breathing. Natural selection was not done with him yet.

The safety lines began to torque him. That didn’t feel good. He was already aching in many spots, but, more to the point, if the lines were twisting him, that meant they were twisted themselves. That likely happened as a result of a random firing off of RCS fuel. Skydock was beginning to spin.

He held tight to the truss for a moment. Elliott James was a good pilot and a better station commander. Within thirty seconds he felt the station’s motion canceled out. If the tumble had gotten too far out of control, it might have destroyed the whole station.

“NORAD, this is Abbe. I think we had an RCS blowout. Can you confirm, over?”

Nothing.

“NORAD, this is Josh Abbe. Say again, over.”

No response.

“Skydock, this is Abbe. Are you reading me?”

Dead silence.

“Okay, that’s not good,” he said.

Communication was everything. He had nothing. It was time to self-assess. That would be easy in pitch black darkness.

“NORAD, this is Abbe in the blind. Transmitting. Um… let’s see. I’m alive. Looks like we had an RCS leak there, but I think James got it under control. Not feeling any residual motion now. Currently gripping the truss at C… two,” he said, taking an educated guess on his position. “Both safety lines are intact. I don’t think I have any leaks. Suit lights are reading green.”

His own lungs provided percussion as his breathing came down from rushed to steady.

Without sight, he started from the outside in. His ankle was twisted, maybe worse. He didn’t worry about that. It wasn’t vital to survival. His suit wasn’t making any noise. That was good. Noise came from leaks or alarms. He heard neither. His light gave him a view of a white section of latticework. That was the truss. He could see his left hand grabbing it. That was secure.

Then something caught his eye. He looked back at the glove. He opened his hand, releasing the strut and twisting his wrist. There was a sheen. He saw it on the inside of his arm. It extended all the way up to his elbow and to the edge of his vision.

It was hydrazine. He had been blasted with hydrazine.

Explosive, volatile, lung-killing hydrazine. The kind of thing that was so toxic and carcinogenic that the safety labels had a special note in the margins that said, “Don’t fuck with this shit.”

It was advice that wasn’t doing him a bit of good now.

Three years ago, he’d been out here with Erik Broacham, working on an ammonia coolant line. There had been a leak and Erik had gotten hit with some ammonia. That was annoying, but it meant that they just had to wait outside, in the sunlight, for a couple of orbits while the stuff burnt off. You had to get rid of it because if it got inside the station, it was strong enough to knock out or kill the entire crew. It was part of the station design. Bad chemicals stayed on the outside. Vulnerable humans with puny lungs stayed on the inside. Advanced engineering at its finest.

Unfortunately, hydrazine didn’t burn off quietly. When hydrazine lit up, everyone in three counties knew about it. Usually, because they were being evacuated by National Guard units. And if you thought ammonia was toxic, hydrazine made it look like a dessert topping.

He couldn’t just head for the airlock. Best case scenario, he’d be an unexploded bomb that his crewmates would have to clean up in a tight space. Worst case, he’d add a whole new hole to this nice little space station.

Pushing off was an option.

He could detach his lines, head off into the black, enjoy another couple of sunrises and sunsets before he choked to death on his own air. But that might screw over NASA just as bad. And he’d be dead.

Think, dammit.

First priority was survival. Survival meant air. He was low on that. This was hour seven of a planned eight-hour walk. They kept emergency suit tanks in a rack outside the airlock hatch. That would give him an extra couple of hours. It wouldn’t do anything for his carbon dioxide concentration, but one thing at a time.

The best way to clean up hydrazine was with people who had the proper equipment and training to handle it. Right now, all those people were three hundred miles away.

That didn’t change the situation.

Skydock was well-named. It was meant to be a waystation for anything that came to orbit. These days, that meant Clippers, cargo trucks, IASA resupply modules… and Russian Soyuz ships.

The Russians had sent up a Soyuz back in May. The three guys who rode it up were now sitting at the base of Shackleton crater. They’d left the Soyuz behind to take them back down to terra firma in December.

The Soyuz was docked to the underside of the astronomy lab. They kept the hatches shut because, in an emergency, that was one less thing to take care of. Right now it was a sealed can, pressurized and waiting.

The habitation modules had plenty of handholds. Once he got off the truss, it would be easy to make his way over. He’d done more difficult maneuvers this morning, trying to align the Athena equipment pallets.

“NORAD, this is Abbe. Still in the blind. Just trying you again. Talk to me if you hear me.”

He thought about it for as long as it took to crawl back towards the airlock. He took one of the tanks off the rack. He debated taking the other. It seemed rude to take both for himself. Then he realized that this was the textbook definition of emergency. He used one of his safety lines to clip the other tank to his belt.

“Skydock, this is Abbe in the blind. I gotta steal the Soyuz. I’m coated in hydrazine. Can’t risk exposing you to this shit. I’m gonna go downstairs and see if I can wash it off.”

He made a right turn and began to crawl over the habitation modules. The night side of Earth was behind him. He bit his tongue in concentration and, as he transitioned over the logistics module, he tried to figure out what part of the planet he was over. It was so dark out here.

Based on the ground that he’d observed over the course of the day, the timing of the mishap, and the lack of lights, he was assuming that he was over the mid-Atlantic, heading southeast.

He could see the Soyuz’s outline. His light cone hit it enough to show the green tinge of the hull. He swayed his head back and forth, looking for any signs of trouble.

Soyuz ships were in three pieces. The spherical orbital module was the part that attached to Skydock. It had a small, circular hatch where the astronauts boarded before launch. Below the orbital module, was the descent module. It was in the shape of a gumdrop. That was his lifeboat. That was the part with the heat shield and the parachutes. He’d be able to access it once he got inside. Behind the descent module was a service module that held fuel, oxygen tanks, and power systems. He looked and saw that the solar panels were open and undamaged. He’d be needing them for the trip home.

As he reached the Soyuz, where it was docked to the station, he paused.

On the off chance someone was inside trying to assist him, they’d need to be warned before this next step.

He took a wrench from his tool belt and tapped lightly on the hull. He tapped the orbital module and he also tapped the station. It was a soft tap, but the sound would translate through the metal and, hopefully, announce his intentions. This wasn’t a typical maneuver. He was way beyond emergency procedures. If NORAD could still talk to him, they’d probably be screaming for him to stop.

What a crazy way to make a living. He found himself remembering Godfather Part II, of all things. Hyman Roth’s voice was in his head as he put a hand on the hatch.

“This is the business we’ve chosen,” he said, turning the lever.

Contrary to the movies, opening a hatch on a spacecraft didn’t lead to a violent rush of air and debris. At least if it was done right. Most spacecraft were kept at a pressure below one atmosphere. The big, black alien would be able to hang on quite easily if it had a good enough grip.

Once the hatch was cracked, it swung open from the force of the air rushing past, but the motion was manageable. In twenty seconds, it was all over.

Now he had a small cloud of assorted oxygen and nitrogen molecules that were heading off as fast as they could, and a few assorted loose items that had found their way outside. None of it was concerning.

Swinging his legs around, he entered the Soyuz and shut the hatch behind him.

It was a tight fit. The suits that the Russians wore in here typically weren’t as bulky, and they weren’t designed for vacuum work. He was a little worried about becoming Winnie the Pooh stuck in Rabbit’s window as he made his way into the descent module. It was important not to tear the suit. Even inside this ship, he was still in vacuum. That thought was dominant as he wriggled and squirmed into the descent module.

There was no need to strap in, he just floated in front of the control panel and tried to remember his training. Back in Houston, they had a Soyuz simulator. He’d flown it three times. One of them he’d actually survived.

His Russian was a little rusty, but he got through the power up procedures mostly by muscle memory. It only took a few minutes. He opened the nitrogen valves, but not the oxygen ones. Hydrazine couldn’t burn without some source of oxygen. He couldn’t take off the suit anyway, otherwise, the hydrazine would kill him. He found the docking controls. The hatches were already sealed on both ends.

“Skydock, this is Abbe. Still in the blind. I have no idea if you’re reading me, but I’m about to undock the Soyuz. I’m just praying you aren’t doing anything stupid to try and help me.”

He threw the switches and felt the ship lurch. An outstretched hand kept him from bumping into the control board.

“Oh God. Okay. Kind of amazed I got this far. Houston, fuck… NORAD, Skydock, whoever. Hell if you can hear me down there in Houston put up a flare or do something. I’m away from the station. I’m gonna try a separation burn. Hopefully, it’ll get me clear enough that I can do a retrofire without slamming into something. Can’t believe I’m doing this.”

He let a few minutes go by to allow the distance to open up. There was always a little bit of air trapped between the hatches when a ship undocked. That air had given him a push in the right direction. After ten minutes, he fired the Soyuz RCS and that gave him a bit more.

Okay, he was still breathing, still unexploded, and now he even had a ride. Not bad so far.

He still had a few minutes until he was in daylight. He used the time to connect the oxygen tank. That would give him enough air for a couple of orbits. He used a seatbelt to stow the other tank. With any luck, he wouldn’t need it.

He wasn’t planning to mess around in orbit. There was no reason to stay up here. He’d deorbit in daylight, somewhere over the Pacific. The rule of thumb was that you landed half a world away from where you deorbited. He’d come down in the middle of the night. Couldn’t be helped. He had no intention of firing his engine in the dark. That was just as big a risk to Skydock as going back aboard and blowing up.

He needed to land on land, as it were. Soyuz ships were designed to come down in the middle of the steppes, with a ground crew on standby. The whole system assumed a dry landing spot. He didn’t know if the descent module would float in the water, but he knew that the U.S. Navy wouldn’t be looking for him. Wherever he came down, he’d need to be able to blow the hatch, hop out, and breathe.

As dawn came up, he decided to try the radio. He might get nothing but garbled Russian, but it was a shot. He pushed himself to the radio controls and looked it over. The frequencies weren’t set up. He had no idea what Russian Flite Control was using these days. So much for that.

Dawn broke in through the porthole on his right. He turned as the sunlight streamed in over the controls. For the first time since the blowout, he got his bearings.

Earth was over there. He pressed his visor to the glass and looked for Skydock and didn’t see it. He was only getting one angle. He pulsed the RCS and kept looking.

After a few backflips, mostly trial and error, he was able to see a reflection. The light off the truss was enough to glint in the morning light. The space station looked like a flying crane. The industrial kind, not the bird. Still, it was a beautiful sight if you loved the program.

He’d never see it again.

Even if he survived this, and that was doubtful, he knew that he’d always be “the guy who fucked up and stole a Soyuz.” There was no way around that. Mission rules said, when in doubt, wait. He hadn’t waited. He hadn’t let ground control do their thing. Probably some hotshot at the bottom of the gravity well was saying exactly what he should have done instead to fix the issue. Part of Abbe thought that one consolation of not making it was that he’d never have to hear what he should have done today.

This next part was going to be dangerous… and kinda fun. He’d practiced reentry procedures in the simulator. Indeed, that was the only thing that a red, white, and blue astronaut needed to know about a Russian spacecraft. He got a look at the orientation and checked the numbers. Fortunately, everyone used good old-fashioned Arabic numerals. Don’t ever let them change that.

He pulsed the RCS into the right entry heading and waited. He wanted to fire the engines when he was dead-center over the Pacific. If he fired after passing the International Date Line, he had a good chance of coming down east of the Prime Meridian… where there was quite a bit of land. He was trained to be pinpoint accurate with his thoughts, his movements, his positioning. Now his target was Africa. And he had one shot to hit it. Anywhere on dry land would do. Hell, he’d settle for a river or a lake if he could manage to swim to shore.

The problem with looking for the Date Line was that it was invisible. Just a line on a map. The challenge of the Pacific Ocean was that it gave very few references. He couldn’t even spot an island or a coastline. This was instinct and Kentucky Windage. If he’d had a psychic on board, he’d have taken their word for when to fire. In the land of blind spacecraft, the one-eyed pilot was king.

“Okay. Here we go. NORAD, Houston, Moscow, Skydock, Jesus, Superman, whoever. This is Joshua Abbe, in the blind. I’m gonna bring this puppy down. If anyone ever hears this… I dunno… water my plants or something. I’m just running on spit and adrenaline right now.

His stomach growled. What a thing to notice now. It made sense. He’d eaten light this morning. And, not that he was bragging about it, but, his stomach was empty as a drum now.

“Dear God, don’t let me die wearing a diaper.”

In terms of the timing, it was as good a sign as any. He started the deorbit burn.

The force of the engine pushed him back against the couch. That was uncomfortable. Those seats were form-fitted to the astronaut… er… cosmonaut who would occupy them. The Russians did that to make everything smoother at launch, but with his bulky suit, he didn’t fit anyone’s form. Now he just felt the curves digging into his back as the rocket motor pushed him out of orbit.

For four minutes and twenty-one seconds the engine fired. He counted out the Mississippi’s until he hit two-hundred and ten. It was a little short, but that wasn’t the most accurate system to be going on.

Next point of business was to ditch the excess modules. Those switches were to his right. He tweaked the RCS and then blew them away. The attitude change was to make sure the other pieces weren’t in his path as he came back down. They would burn up one way or another, but he’d rather they be a few miles away when they did.

It was all downhill now.

Abbe checked the porthole again. He could see a coastline in the distance, but he couldn’t figure out which it was. Likely California, or Baja California. It was immaterial now. Whatever happened next was beyond his control. He relaxed for a moment. He’d kill for a candy bar. Priorities, man.

As he hit the upper atmosphere, the ship wiggled a bit. Likely he hadn’t nailed the entry attitude and friction was correcting his error. The weight of the capsule would be concentrated in the broad end of the gumdrop. The drag put him into a shimmy, but settled after about a minute of oscillation.

There wasn’t much left to do. The ship should be in good shape. If something was wrong with the heat shield, he’d never know, let alone be able to do something about it. If it killed him, he’d be doing those three Russians on the Moon a big favor.

Not having anything to do kind of made it worse. All he could think about now was hydrazine exploding, hatches malfunctioning, or how big the Atlantic Ocean was. He thought about idiotic math mistakes he’d made in high school. Idiotic moments where he’d tried to ask out girls he liked. All the times he’d bumped his head or stubbed his toe. This was a time where he had to be perfect and no one was perfect. Life was a series of mistakes and accidents. A while back, a bunch of dumb apes had decided to make a tin can and send it into the sky. Somehow that had led to him going Mach 10, streaking for the birthplace of humanity.

The sky went from black to orange, then back to black. That was probably okay. He was coming in on the night side of the planet after all. From his position, he couldn’t look down. The windows were angled up and he had no interest in touching the controls now. The drogue chute activated automatically. He wouldn’t have known except a light came on and he remembered the Cyrillic letters that told him what had happened. He looked at the light next to it, assuming that was for the main. He needn’t have bothered.

The main chute deployed with a sharp tug, nearly pulling him off his seat and into the control board. He gave out a roar of giddy, giggling elation. It was hubris, but he found himself laughing. He couldn’t help it. The gods of sea and sky were trying so hard to kill him today. He’d defied sky, now the only thing left was hope he’d hit dry land. Any dry land would do.

He felt his muscles unclench as the chute brought him down. There was at least a mile or two to fall by the time he opened his eyes again. Might as well report in.

“Houston… fuck it… this is Abbe in the blind. Chute is deployed. Hahaha… oh fuck. I think I might actually make it. Wouldn’t that be the funniest damn thing? Tell you what, worst case, I’m still gonna leave a good-looking corpse. Oh… I know I’m fired. That’s totally fine. I think I’ve had enough space for one lifetime now. I’ll be fine. I’ll be fine.”

His vision blurred again. He wasn’t sure why. Maybe hydrazine fumes were starting to waft through the cockpit. It occurred to him slowly. He was crying. Stress, fear, tension, elation, take your pick. No reason to hold it back. Not like anyone would have to know.

“Oh boy. Okay. Altimeter is reading one kilometer. If there’s mountains, I’m probably fucked. Screw it. I came along for the ride.”

He idly began searching the board for the descent rockets. Soyuz was designed to come down on land, so the Russians had kindly added a cluster of rockets at the base of the descent module to soften the blow. He got a swift kick in the ass as they activated. The window only showed him a flash of light, likely as not from the rockets. He couldn’t see any detail. It was still pitch black night outside.

Pops and crackles sounded through the ship as the Soyuz landed. He felt little jolts pushing him at random as he came down the last few feet.

Tree branches, he thought. He pumped a fist in the air and howled in exultant glory. Trees were not found in the middle of the ocean. He was breaking into a canopy of forest. Or coming down in one of those pretty trees that you saw on grasslands in those nature documentaries. Either way, it was land.

As the branches broke, the Soyuz descended. With a thud, he hit the ground. The ship rolled and snagged, the parachute tangled and spent.

He laid there as it hit. He winced. That ankle finally reminded him that he had problems beyond survival.

The world was tilted when it stopped rattling, likely as not as a result of him sliding down a thick tree trunk. He reached over instead of up to open the hatch that used to lead into the orbital module. Now it just led outside.

He saw black night sky. That was fine. He crawled out, listening for a sizzle. Looking around for anything that might be an ignition source. He was still covered in rocket fuel, after all.

His gloved hands ran over grass as he touched Earth for the first time in months. So pretty. He’d never take it for granted again. He pulled himself out of the capsule and kicked and squirmed to get his legs through the hatch.

The night was pitch black. He saw no lights. No signs of anything. The tree that he’d hit was gashed to white on its trunk. His suit light was still on enough for him to see it in the darkness. It wasn’t some lone tree on the savannah, this was forest growth.

He turned and saw a clearing. There was grass and a dirt path that ran by about twenty yards away. That was great. Humans made dirt paths. At least, the kind that had tire tracks. Tire tracks were so good. He loved tire tracks.

He couldn’t just throw off his helmet and walk around. The same hydrazine that would have killed the crew of Skydock would just as easily kill him if he breathed it in. Come to think of it, if he’d landed in a town or something, he might have gotten someone killed who was coming to rescue him. Small victories.

He kept panning around with his helmet light. He forced himself to his feet. It was almost enough to drain him. Gravity was so heavy and the suit quite literally made him feel almost five hundred pounds. He stumbled back to his knees. The suit weighed more than he did. Crawling was fine. Let’s not get cocky here.

Once he made it to the dirt path, he looked down it in both directions.

To his right was nothing but dirt and darkness. To his left was the only sign that could challenge his atheism.

Water.

As the path bent around, about thirty yards away, there was a stream. Not much more than a creek, but it would do. He started to crawl.

Agony pulled at his muscles. Exhaustion threatened to shut down his entire body. Halfway there, he considered just giving up, letting sleep take him until someone came to investigate. He’d landed a rocketship. That had to draw some attention.

Still, he wanted to finish this out. He was so close to the end.

One time, in college, he’d tried to run the New York Marathon. He had trained for a few months. Warmed up with a 10K a few weeks before. It was hubris. He wasn’t nearly ready for twenty-six miles. Around mile ten, he had felt off. Before mile eleven, he was curled into a ball of pain and shame on the sidewalk. He could feel that same tightness in his muscles as the soil under him became damp.

As a kindness from the universe, the last few yards before the creek sloped downhill. He let himself roll, tumbling side over side into the water. He flopped in face first. The suit floated. He couldn’t hear it, but he could almost feel the hydrazine that had caused so much trouble washing away in the water. Water could fix almost anything.

He laid there, letting the front of the suit act as a very uncomfortable mattress. It might have been a minute, it might have been an hour. He might have slept, he might have just dozed.

Shouting brought him out of his haze. He couldn’t make it out. That was likely the helmet. He rolled and dog paddled for the shore. It was only a few feet away. His shoe had been stuck in the mud. That had kept him from floating away.

The helmet light showed him the tip of a shoe as he came out of the water. It was a sneaker. Old, like something from the early eighties. He added it to his mental list of the most beautiful things he ever saw.

He rolled once more and sprawled. Starfishing onto the wet dirt. His suit light showed him a man. A tall, black man, pointing an assault rifle at his helmet.

Okay, not everything on the planet was beautiful. Welcome to Earth.

The man started yelling. Nothing got you on your feet like having an AK-47 pointed at your head. He scrambled up, stumbling twice before he found his legs. He raised his hands, which took almost every bit of energy he had. The man was yelling in a language he’d never understand. He pointed at his helmet and reached for the locks.

Swinging the neck ring allowed him to lift the dome. He breathed fresh air once again. He could smell the forest growth, the wet soil, the sweat from this armed gentleman who now greeted him.

He dropped the helmet. The man flinched and for a moment he worried that this fellow would shoot him. Nothing so dramatic happened. Abbe turned his torso slightly, then pointed to the patch on his arm. The American flag. If that didn’t give him enough of an introduction, nothing would.

The armed man nodded. He looked Joshua up and down, trying to find some reason to shoot him. None came. After a moment, he turned his chin a bit, calling for someone over his shoulder. That was when Josh noticed that this little tableau was being lit by the headlights of a pickup truck.

A moment later, they were joined by a new character. This man was younger, barely old enough to be called a man. Josh tried to guess his age at anywhere from sixteen to twenty-six. His face wasn’t all that helpful.

The new arrival, also black, tall, and armed, began to speak to him, in French.

“Oh you gotta be frickin kidding me,” Abbe said. His mother had pushed him to take French in high school. He’d taken Italian, like an idiot, because he liked Jessica Wilson and she had mentioned she was going to take Italian.

The young man repeated his French and Abbe smiled and shrugged. He did the only thing he could think of.

“Uh… bonjour?”

The young man raised an eyebrow. Fortunately, he didn’t raise his weapon.

Abbe decided to try again. “Uh… parlez vous anglais?”

The young man shook his head. This was going to be tricky.

“Okay. No English. Of course. Uh… voulez-vous coucher avec moi ce soir?”

There was a pause. Both men looked at him again. Then they laughed. He joined them. Then he fell to his knees.

They watched as he took apart the suit at the waist. He wriggled out of the pants. He was glad of the cooling suit as it prevented them from seeing the diaper he was wearing. As it was, he looked like an 1800s prospector in long white underwear. It was fine. If they wanted to mock him, he wouldn’t understand anyway.

They helped him up after he’d gotten out of the suit. He barely had the energy to walk, but they seemed to understand. He was half helped, half tossed into the bed of the pickup. The kid retrieved the pieces of his suit and tossed them in with him. The helmet came in last. As the truck rolled away, he passed out.

He slept harder than he ever had before. The dead had never slept so well. He awoke to a hand on his foot. It happened to be the one with the twisted ankle. He yelped in pain and came back to reality. He saw a pale blue sky above him. Dawn’s early light.

He didn’t recognize the foot man who had given him the burst of pain. The man seemed surprised and apologetic. He had no way of knowing about the injury, or how it had happened.

Joshua Abbe pulled himself up by the lip of the cargo bed. He propped up an elbow on the wheel well and waved with his free hand.

“Hi. I’m Josh,” he grabbed the suit torso and pointed again at the American flag.

The man nodded. He was glad that this guy wasn’t armed. Looking around though, he realized that he was in the middle of a group of men that were. Some of them wore a ragged type of uniform. Others wore random clothes that could have been on any kid from Los Angeles. He recognized a couple of band names. They were watching him from all around the truck, as though he was in an aquarium tank.

“Uh… anyone here speak English?” Abbe asked.

“I do,” said a voice from behind the crowd.

“Oh thank God,” Abbe said.

The English speaker stepped forward.

“You’re American?” he asked.

Abbe nodded.

“What are you doing in Zaire?” he asked.

Joshua Abbe smiled, “Funny story.”

Alvarez didn’t respond immediately. Josh took that as a good sign. That meant there was a debate amongst the team about the best course of action. If there was a debate, that meant that they really wanted to let him keep going despite the rules. He didn’t bother waiting. He was already inchworming towards the RCS thruster quad on the C block of the truss. By the time they agreed, he’d be halfway to finding the problem.

Yeah, this is uh, starting to worry me, you don't deviate from the rules, especially not in a place that can drag you down to David Bowie's locker.

SHKRRRRRRRRRRR!

He tumbled. A blast flinging him into the void. His ankle twisted as it lost purchase. He yelped as the pain transmitted up his spinal column. He had lost all grip on the station and was soaring into the infinite black.
Anddddd this is why we follow rules guys.

On a sidenote, holy shit was this tense. Especially since I'm coming off some sad news I ain't shared anywhere else.

Gonna be honest: I think this is better than “For All Mankind”, or at least the most recent season. There’s no soap-opera shit involving people lusting after other people’s wives/husbands, just honest alternate history.

You're right, and that's my error. But I'm leaving it in because I think Josh wouldn't be very good with the language. He mostly uses it to build a bit of camaraderie and he'd make the occasional mistake.

Had to take Spanish for a year in grade school, which as I'm bad at languages meant I didn't retain any of it except something about fuzzy underwear. Tried to take Italian when I was stationed there but eventually the instructor said I should probably drop as being bad at Italian with a Spanish accent was not doing either of us any good. (Funny thing was I had a friend who passed the Italian class with ease but no one could understand him off-base due to his VERY deep southern accent :) )

Also hydrazine WILL warm and off-gas over time (and not explode) as will most liquid propellants. They'd likely have to use oxygen masks and dispose of the suit at some point but it should have been all right to stay outside for a couple of orbits and then move it into the air lock.

Great story as usual

Randy

Not to pull focus, but, there were at least 2 other Farscape references in chapter 49 that I never heard anyone call out.

You know I throw in these little Easter eggs for you all to comment on, right?

Also hydrazine WILL warm and off-gas over time (and not explode) as will most liquid propellants. They'd likely have to use oxygen masks and dispose of the suit at some point but it should have been all right to stay outside for a couple of orbits and then move it into the air lock.
the problem with hydrazine isn't explosive, it is the fact that is extremely toxic

the problem with hydrazine isn't explosive, it is the fact that is extremely toxic
Sure. But, I think Ranulf is saying that in reality, all he'd need to do is stay outside for a couple of orbits and let the hydrazine mostly evaporate (actually sublimate) in the sunshine.

So, @BowOfOrion, have just recently found and read right through this excellent timeline.
I like the idea of the Clippers and their adaptability, also the fact the Apollo landings get very much extended (not something I see often).
One minor point - probably too late to go back and correct it - I assume it's some sort of rogue spellchecker thing, but every instance of Soviet/Russian Flight Control or Flight Centre, shows up spelled as "Flite" instead.

Sure. But, I think Ranulf is saying that in reality, all he'd need to do is stay outside for a couple of orbits and let the hydrazine mostly evaporate (actually sublimate) in the sunshine.

What he said I said :)

Edit: Still, whatever we need to get a "Grand Theft: Soyuz" expansion to GTA :)

Randy

LI: Prep Work
Prep Work

9 February 1997

Pe-Te's Cajun Barbeque House

Clear Lake, TX

29° 35' 40.6" N 95° 10' 24.3" W

Cynthia had gotten caught in traffic, so by the time she walked in, they already had food on the table. She put her purse down over the back of the chair and sat.

“Didn’t think you liked the food here, Cale,” she said.

“I never said that. I just said it’s not barbeque,” he replied, directing a fork into his plate.

“Don’t get him started,” Sally said.

“It’s barbeque,” Cynthia said. “Says so right on the sign.”

“I’m begging you…” Sally started.

Cale took a tone like a professor at a lectern, “Barbeque is shredded pork. Depending on where you are in the world, they serve it with sauce. Those sauces can be…”

Sally put a hand in front of him, “No! We did this back in Dallas. We did this in Chapel Hill. I can’t listen to this bit again.”

Cynthia laughed, “Remind me to be careful with my menu selections for the flight.”

Sally Ride almost managed not to roll her eyes, “Why do men take this so seriously?” she said.

“This isn’t barbeque, it’s brisket,” Cale Fletcher said, holding up a forkful of meat.

“Then why are you eating it?” Sally asked.

“I said it wasn’t barbeque. I didn’t say it wasn’t good,” Cale said.

“Okay,” Cynthia said, taking a hush puppy off Fletcher’s plate and biting into it.

“I want to get this sorted out now,” Cale said, changing the subject.

Sally sipped a glass of tea, “When does Judy want the name?”

“She said by the end of the week, but I want to go ahead. This is all prep time,” he said.

“It’s your call,” Cynthia said.

“Technically it’s IASA’s call,” Cale said.

“They’ll go with our recommendation,” Sally said.

“I agree. I’m just saying it’s not a mortal lock,” Cale said.

“At any rate,” Sally said.

Cale tipped his glass towards Cynthia, “Cyn, you’re the geologist, who’s my best choice?”

“Sergio,” Cynthia said.

“You’re sure?” he asked.

She nodded, “They’re all good. There isn’t a bad choice among ‘em. But Sergio is my pick. His work on subsurface water detection is excellent. He’s already trained on the deep core drill. He knows Mars well enough to be a navigator up there. Hasegawa and Winters are both fine, but Sergio is the best.”

He nodded, “Okay, I want a little more than that though.”

“What do you mean?” Cynthia asked.

“If someone asks, I want to be able to tell them why we didn’t go with Winters or Hasegawa,” he said.

“You think someone is really going to ask that?” Cynthia asked.

Cale shrugged.

“Tell ‘em that Hiroshi Hasegawa’s work on primordial volcanism is excellent, but we’re looking for water, not magma. Tell ‘em that Laura Winters isn’t as good mechanically as Sergio Ortona, and this is a flight that will have a lot of engineering work.”

“But Laura’s English isn’t a factor. Sergio can be a little hard to follow sometimes,” Sally said.

“Laura is English, so yeah, she’s easier to understand. But Sergio’s accent isn’t that bad. He just talks fast when he’s excited,” Cynthia says.

“And he dips into Italian,” Sally said.

Cynthia pointed the back end of a hush puppy at Cale. “’Cause everything he says is flawless.” She added, “You want to hear more about barbeque tonight?”

“Dear God, no.” Sally said.

“I’ll make a point to recommend Winters for Athena II, but I don’t think she’s the one for us,” Cale said.

“We’ve got time to train her on the engineering,” Sally said.

“It’s not that,” he said, cutting himself off intentionally.

“Then what?” Cynthia said.

“I don’t want it to look weird to people,” he said, looking down at the table.

“What do you mean?” Sally asked.

“Me flying to Mars in command of an all-woman crew? It’s like a bad Star Trek episode or something. The late-night guys would have a field day,” he said.

“That can’t be a factor,” Sally said.

“It’s not. If Cyn had said ‘it’s got to be Laura’ then that’s what I’d say,” Cale said.

“It’s got to be Sergio,” Cynthia said.

“Then there we go,” Cale said.

Sally paused, “Agreed.”

“Okay, now that that’s settled, can I get the bourbon chicken without you doing ten minutes on what does and does not constitute soul food?” Cynthia asked.

“That’s just a risk you’ll have to take,” Cale said.

night.jpg

5 May 1997

Johnson Space Center

Houston, TX

29° 33’ 20” N 95° 05’ 38” W

Ryan Grimm sat on the bench, looking across the manicured lawn at the arrayed components of the old Saturn V booster. The floodlights reflecting off the white outer casing were his only source of illumination. His tie was loose, and his feet ached. A half-drunk can of Pepsi sat on the bench next to him. He looked up at the stars, spotted the slim crescent moon, barely even a curved sliver of light.

“I thought I’d find you here,” she said, coming around the corner of the trail. He jumped at the sound, startled out of his contemplations.

“Sorry,” she said quietly, seeing the moment of fright she’d inadvertently caused.

“I wanted to walk the trail one more time,” he said.

“Have you slept?” she asked.

“I’ll sleep tomorrow,” he said, rising from the bench. He turned and continued his stroll. She fell into step.

“You should sleep a little. You really want to be red-eyed when you meet the President?” she asked.

“I’m not gonna meet the President,” he said, waving the concern away.

“What are you talking about? Of course you will,” she said.

“Three photo-ops. POTUS cutting the ribbon. POTUS shaking hands with the controllers. POTUS with the Athena I crew,” he said, ticking off each on a finger.

“I imagine he’ll find his way to you,” she said, “He likes to highlight other black men in powerful positions.”

“Head of NASA PR isn’t exactly cabinet-level,” he replied.

Angela rolled her eyes at him.

Under a blanket of silence and stars, they walked through the rocket garden. Together around the Gemini spacecraft and the tight, enclosed seats that showed visitors just how cramped it was for the astronauts who flew that ship. Amanda always marveled that anyone could occupy such a small space even by themselves for much time, let alone with another pilot at your elbow.

The path winded and branched, with little brass placards marking the appropriate names and dates and thrust figures. Here an old Apollo command module, there a Redstone rocket aimed at the sky. The path split to let tourists walk through an old gantry ingress arm. The two of them took the other direction, admiring the Pegasus cluster with its deployed wings.

Off to the left was the jewel of the rocket garden. Horizon, the life-sized Clipper mock-up, surveyed her kingdom from a position of honor. She sat upright, nose to the sky, her white wingtips presenting the red, white, and blues of Old Glory, and the newly updated NASA logo.

Before reaching the side entrance, they were confronted with the lofted form of the X-20, mounted on a steel pedestal that would have gleamed had there been any daylight. The old Dyna-Soar presented a stark black triangle, backlit by the muted yellow-gold light of the new building. The artist had chosen to present the aged spaceplane at an angle, as though she was ascending the slope of the edifice. The angles of aviation and architecture paired very well in the night.

As they entered the new building, the atrium greeted them with a riot of color. This entrance, though technically a side door, marked the start of the self-guided tour of the museum. The ground floor of the Webb Operations Center, the largest of its ten stories, was devoted to exhibits from the history of the space agency.

Ryan paused here and there, perusing a name placard, or straightening a stack of pamphlets. Angela watched him make his way past priceless relics of the space age. Alan Shepard’s golf club, Jack Schmidt’s shovel, a piece of Constellation’s left wing; none were enough to garner a second glance. He was focused on the little things. Searching for flaws amidst a forest of diamonds.

The supine corridors eventually funneled visitors to the building center. There, in all her magnificence, was a perfect copy of Freedom, Apollo 11’s LEM. At the base of her forward leg, with foot pressing into the lunar surface, was Frank Borman, or, more accurately, an exact replica of his suit held up by an internal reinforced mannequin. It was the crown jewel of the museum, marking the end of the exhibits.

Ryan walked around the LEM, unimpressed by it, or the grand terraced architecture above him. The lofted ceiling was bordered by concentric balconies that looped around the upper floors. The upper floors were occupied by proper offices. Various administrators and astronauts were already staking claims. The top three floors were already reserved for the upper echelons of the agency.

They left the center of the building, moving to the rear. Ryan quickstepped his way over and she trailed along behind.

Angela crossed her arms over her elbows as she watched him rearrange tables and chairs in the restaurant. “The Lunch Pad” would serve hundreds of meals per day to hungry tourists who had just burned calories in the long walk through the rocket garden and museum. The general public wouldn’t come in until next week, but she could already hear the cacophony of schoolchildren, tired parents, and smiling docents. The architects had made assurances that sound wouldn’t carry up well from the first floor. She had her doubts.

“I can’t believe Chick-Fil-A turned us down,” she said, nodding to the bespectacled, space-suited chicken statue that stood by the cash registers.

“Golden Chick is better anyway,” he said.

“No argument here,” she replied.

A beat passed as she watched him contemplating the positioning of the carpet.

“Ryan, it looks fine. Go to bed.”

“Not done,” he said, heading for the gift shop.

He wound through each aisle, at one point stopping to reorganize the display of astronaut biographies. She groaned as he rearranged the model kits. He was gripping this much too tight.

She tugged his collar before he could start in on the keychain rack. She dragged him through the giftshop doors and into the simulator deck.

The last room before the exit to the tour buses had a small collection of arcade games, dressed up to look like proper simulators. One corner had a lunar lander game with mechanics that would have been familiar to anyone with an old Atari. The fact that one played it while looking through the windows of a LEM mock-up did nothing to enhance the complexity, but the kids would eat it up. At the end was their finest piece of machinery, a Clipper cockpit, reproduced, of course, that allowed players to land one of NASA’s ships with a hand on a real flight-ready control yoke.

For a time, she had thought the video game a bit ludicrous. After all, NASA was an agency that was marked by its seriousness. But that opinion had been shattered last week when she caught three guys from the Guidance backroom trying to beat each other’s high scores after hours.

They’d invited her to try it out herself. She had managed to make a bumpy landing on a simulated strip at Edwards Air Force base but had almost plowed Horizon into the VAB on the Medium difficulty, and she didn’t even try to bring the ship down during the hurricane that confronted players choosing the Extreme level.

“Are you going downstairs?” she asked him.

“No, Sapphire team is already working down there. Whatever they’re moving around, it’ll look good for the cameras,” he said.

She nodded. While the ten stepped stories of the Webb’s architecture were sure to become iconic, the soul of this building was in the basement. Twenty feet below, protected by bedrock and security guards, the new Flight Control Rooms were already operating. Four of the rooms were already in use, talking to astronauts in orbit and on the Moon. Two more spaces were reserved for future mission needs.

The massive windowless complex under the Webb Operations Center was now the place to be for every aerospace engineer in the country.

A twenty-first-century control center for a twenty-first-century space program. That was the line President Powell would deliver before cutting the ribbon today. His speech would also allude to the idea that it was likely that the next NASA mission control facility might not even be on Earth.

Determined to get him to a bed before sunrise, Angela pulled Ryan past the security office and through the front door.

They exited only to be blocked by a stern phalanx of Secret Service agents. The President’s advance team was prepping for his arrival just as the two of them had. They politely moved around the roped off cordon and headed for the press office in Building 16.

Ryan paused to give one last look, taking a long moment to watch the flags flutter. United States, Texas, and the one with the new NASA logo.

“He would have hated that,” Ryan said, nodding at the white flag with the stark blue circle at its center.

“Which part?” she asked.

“The new font. He told me they tried to get him to use it back in the ’70s. That very same font. Said it looked like a space agency run out of a bait store.”

“I think it looks good in the meatball.”

“You mean the wormball?” he said, smirking.

“You said not to call it that,” she chided him.

He shrugged, “It’ll sell t-shirts either way.”

She waved to indicate the whole structure, “I think you’ll get some t-shirts out of this whole look.”

“The Ziggurat?” he asked.

She nodded. “More catchy than ‘the James Webb Operations Center,’” she said, giving embellished gravitas to the official name.

He drank in the view. The concrete and limestone sometimes seemed like an architectural joke. Housing humanity’s greatest scientific enterprise in a design that dated back to Babylon.

“It would look great as a logo. Maybe with a Clipper taking off over it,” he said. She resolved to stop his train of thought before it could leave the station.

“Enough. Go to bed,” she checked her watch, “POTUS lands in five hours.”

meatworm.jpg

30 July 1997

Eagle 14

Orbital Inclination 86°

Altitude: 25 NM

“Sally, toss me our descent plan, please,” Cale said.

Sally Ride reached into the box on the right side of her station. The RAD case contained a large assortment of plastic squares, most marked with a letter and number designation. She produced a thin red square and gave it a gentle, frisbee-style toss towards Fletcher. The disc spun along its center in flight, turning like a ninja throwing star until he snatched it from mid-air.

“Careful. If we break this, we only have about four backups,” he said, smiling as he plugged the three-and-a-half-inch square into the slot on the center of the console.

“Why are we still calling them ‘floppy disks’?” Cynthia asked from the seat behind them, “They haven’t been floppy in years.”

“Tradition, I suppose,” Sergio said.

In his position at the controls, Fletcher checked his watch. The program took a moment to load, which gave him time to compare his Speedmaster to the computer’s internal clock. Sally did the same with her watch.

“Looks good to me,” she said.

“Me too. Houston, this is Eagle Fourteen, requesting permission to initiate Descent Prime program, over,” said Fletcher.

“Eagle, Houston, you are go for descent. We expect loss of signal in about two minutes. We hope to pick you up again on the south side. If you lose omni, try us through Moonbase’s relay. Safe travels.”

As the lander came over the lunar north pole, Fletcher felt the sun on his face. It was soothing, despite knowing that, on some level, it meant slightly more radiation was hitting him. The crackle in his headset told him that they’d slipped over to the far side and that contact with Earth was lost.

He used the third button on the left side of the screen to activate the descent program. It was a little bit like working an ATM back on the ground, only this screen dispensed rocket exhaust instead of cash.

The computer behind the console clicked and whirred. He looked over at Sally and they both shrugged. She checked her watch.

“Four minutes,” she said.

“Acknowledged,” he replied.

The little red disk would execute its program based on the ship’s clock, a few star sightings, and physics that had been calculated ad nauseum back on the ground.

One of the nice things about going to the Moon these days was that it had been so thoroughly mapped. Any place that saw sunlight had been photographed. Around Moonbase especially, the terrain was accounted for to the last detail. Today’s flight would throw most of that information out of the proverbial window.

Eagle Fourteen, and its revered crew, the crew that would undertake Athena I next year, were not heading for Moonbase. Their target was seventy miles downrange. They would be landing in a largely unexplored area. A pristine section of Earth’s neighbor, rarely visited by astronauts.

Coming over the lunar southern horizon, Fletcher got a first look at their landing sight: Malapert Mountain.

They were well into the descent program when Houston reacquired them. “Eagle, we’re seeing you coming around now. Telemetry looks good. Anything to report, over?”

“Negative, Houston. We’re locked on to the HAB beacon,” Fletcher said. He spoke quickly, focused on the instrument display. He hoped Houston would understand the unspoken leave me alone tone he was trying to convey.

The dull roar of the main engine gave a steady stream of noise as they came down. Sally kept one hand over her control yoke and the other hovering near the abort switch. With any luck, she wouldn’t use either.

“Coming through eight thousand. HAB still talking to us. Radar doesn’t have a lock yet,” Sally said.

“Copy,” he said.

He let the computer run its course, literally. The main curve of the descent profile was fine until about a thousand feet up. Nothing looked quite right. This was his third trip to the Moon, but he’d only landed at the base. Now he was well past it, heading North. The program that was guiding his ship was based off landing trajectories that would put you down at the base. They’d been adjusted based on maps and physics.

The ship’s computer knew that HAB was sending a signal from the southern side of Malapert. It also could get readings from the relay at the peak of the summit. And, theoretically, there shouldn’t be any significant obstacle that would impede Eagle’s path, but that was different from looking out of the forward window and seeing long shadows over grey terrain.

“You okay?” Sally asked.

“I need the radar,” he said.

“Are you going to manual?”

“Yeah. Not wild about this view. You gotta find me a flat.”

“Look for the tracks,” she said.

“Too far out,” he said.

“Don’t get greedy,” she admonished.

Malapert Mountain was on a line that connected Earth and the Moon’s south pole. As such, it was an ideal location for a radio relay. Cale Fletcher had been jealous, eleven years ago, when Sally had ventured out here in a rover, as part of Expedition 6. The tire tracks from that excursion were still present, more than a decade later.

Once a year, at minimum, Moonbase sent a crew up here in a rover to maintain the equipment at the top of the mountain. They used the same trail that Sally had cut back in ’86 because it was known to be safe. It was also somewhat far from their intended destination.

“Three-thousand feet,” she said. “If you’re gonna go manual, this is the time,” she said.

He nodded and flipped a switch to kill the navigation program. The black and green screen between them went dark.

Sally pressed a few buttons and frowned, “Still no radar lock.”

“So I see,” Fletcher said, indicating the still-dark screen. If the radar had good data, it would be displayed here.

He silently cursed himself for not insisting on that new lander for this little jaunt. The mission planners refused to take away from training time to teach him how to operate a Luna. Understandable as it was a completely new spacecraft that wouldn’t be used on Athena. Instead, for this little excursion, they found themselves in an Eagle, which was familiar, but prone to little bugs when it was time to improvise.

Fletcher looked out at the landscape before him. Even though there were scattered portions where the sunlight managed to sneak past the ridge of Shackleton, it was like looking at a patchwork quilt of day and night.

“You gotta go east. I can’t get a read on slope angles,” Sally said.

“Walking that far every day is gonna eat up our schedule,” he said.

“Then it does,” she replied.

“Cycle the radar,” he ordered.

She pulled the circuit breaker out of its slot and pushed it back into place. There was a clicking from the control panel.

“Eagle, Houston, we recommend…” the voice over the radio cut out.

“We’re below the summit now,” Sally said.

“All by our lonesome,” Cale said, calmly.

The radio relays on the Malapert peak were only useful if you had line-of-sight. Now that they were approaching the southern slopes of the mountain, they could no longer see the peak… or talk to Earth.

The radar came up, at first a flash of green light across the monitor, then it stabilized into an array of green lines that presented the occasional bump or angle.

“There we go,” Cale said. His boyish grin went from slight to goofy.

“I’ve got visual on HAB,” Sally said. “Ten degrees left.”

“Left? Who’d have thought? Okay, let’s get closer,” he said. Sally saw him angling the control yoke. She felt the angle of motion travel through the balls of her feet.

The HAB module had landed on an automated program four weeks ago. In the final stages, its computers, out of sight from Earth, had reverted to a safe alternate program that had brought the big cylinder down safely, but about a quarter of a mile from its intended destination.

Cale Fletcher was determined to do better.

At fifteen hundred feet, he leveled off. She took another sighting as he began to descend.

“About five hundred yards from HAB. Can you live with that?”

“Let’s get a little closer,” Cale said.

He angled again, putting the Eagle into a bank.

“Are you gonna go right over it?”

“Just skirting around,” he said.

She tilted her head slightly, mentally trying to picture how close he was to the top of the HAB.

She heard a crackle in her radio headset again and looked up. Just over the crest of the ridge was Earth. Before she could process that, he was bringing them down again.

“Five hundred, down at seventeen,” she said.

He was laser focused on the window in front of him.

“Four hundred, down at ten,” she said. Fletcher had gone into that space where he was taking in everything but giving nothing. She’d seen it in the simulator dozens of times. She kept feeding him.

“Three fifty, down at five. Three hundred, down four, forward two. Watch our shadow there.”

“Easy there,” he said, more talking to the ship than her. His voice barely more than a whisper.

“Two fifty, down at four. Pushing left a bit. One-twenty,” she said.

“Gas gauge?” he asked.

“Sixty-three, don’t worry,” she said. Moonbase had filled the tanks before dispatching Eagle fourteen to orbit. He had mentioned on the flight out that he didn’t want to waste too much fuel as it was expensive to resupply Moonbase’s tanks.

“Seventy-five. Down at one. Two forward. Two forward. Thirty feet, you killed the drift. Twenty. Bring it home.”

“Contact!” Fletcher said, coming out of his trance as the little blue light on the center of his board lit up. He killed the engine. The lander gave a slight lurch and went dead silent. Sally listened for outgassing or any signs of trouble. Nothing came. She started the sequence to safe the engine. Cale reached over and closed the block-out panel over the abort switch.

Cale Fletcher put the bulky Eagle lander down at the base of the slope that extended up the mountain. Sally checked and determined that he’d placed them, ever so gently, within twelve yards of where HAB was supposed to have landed.

“Didn’t want to use the LPD?” she asked him.

“Where’s the fun in that?” Fletcher said.

“They’re sending me to Mars with a crazy man,” Sally said, smiling and giving him a shake on his right shoulder.

“I had it,” Fletcher said.

“You’re out here like the aeronautical version of John Henry, trying to beat the damn computer.”

Fletcher keyed the comm pack on his belt and toggled a switch, “Houston, this is the Eagle. Be advised: before I let your computers beat me down, I’ll die with a hammer in my hand.”

31 July 1997

GNN NewsNight

The screen behind Van Pelt’s desk showed the crisp mission patch of Athena I. It sat over his shoulder as he looked into the camera. With practiced tone and diction, he brought the show back from commercial.

“Welcome back. Before we wrap up this evening’s broadcast, we have quite a treat for you. On tonight’s edition of Person To Person, speaking to us live from the Moon, we have the crew of Athena I. Commander Fletcher, good evening to you. Can you hear me there?”

“Yes, I can, Nick. Are you seeing us downstairs in Philly?” Fletcher said.

The screen now showed the four crew members gathered together. Fletcher occupied the left-hand seat of the cockpit and the other three took up residence over his shoulders. Collectively, the group looked a bit disheveled. Today’s seven-hour EVA had been a hot, sweaty affair and of all the amenities that the Eagle landers offered, a shower was not among them.

“Yes, we can see you here. Tell us about your current mission,” Van Pelt said.

Fletcher spoke for the group, “Well, Nick. We’re doing a field test of our HAB module, which is going to be our home on Mars. This mission is a dress rehearsal of our first three weeks on Mars. For the next few days, we’ll be setting up the HAB module here, on the Moon, and that will give us a good practice for when we have to do it during Athena I.”

“Do you have any concerns about setting up a HAB module on the Moon?” Van Pelt asked.

“Well, this’ll be our fourth time building one. I think we’ve got it down pretty good by now, but we’ll see.”

“Can you give us a sense of how the process goes?” Van Pelt asked.

“Sure. The HAB comes down on four legs. It’s essentially a cylinder with kind of a domed top. First thing we do is to clear out any rocks from underneath it. Then we dig a footprint under the cylinder, so we’ve got a level floor to work with. That was most of today’s work. Once we’re happy with the foundation, we lower the cylinder down to the surface. Then it’s a few days of attaching various bits that are packed up inside. We’ll bring them outside. That’s stuff like communications gear, airlock components, welcome mats.”

“Welcome mats?” Van Pelt asked.

“We don’t want to track a whole bunch of Mars dust into our nice clean habitat, now do we, Nick?” Cale said.

“I suppose not. Dr. Ride what will happen to this particular HAB after you’re done with it?”

Sally seemed a little surprised to be called on, but she responded quickly, “Just like our habitat on Mars, this will be the start of an outpost that will be used by astronauts in the future.”

“Another Moonbase?” Van Pelt asked.

“Not exactly. This site will be an outpost for a new observatory. In the next couple of years, crews will come here to set up radio telescopes. When they come, they’ll be able to stay in our HAB instead of having to live out of their rovers. Over time, this new facility will be the home of a great radio astronomy facility.”

“Like in Contact?” Van Pelt asked. The new film, just released earlier in the month, was getting critical acclaim, and introducing many people to the concepts of radio astronomy.

“Exactly right,” Sally said.

“Dr. Ortona, you are the international representative for this flight. Italy has embraced you as a modern-day Christopher Columbus. How do you respond to that?”

Sergio’s modesty was apparent from a quarter-million miles away, but the red, white, and green patch on his jumpsuit was prominently displayed. “Well, that’s a bit like comparing an American statesman to Thomas Jefferson. Something of a double-edged sword. For now, my thoughts are only on the mission and its success. After all, Columbus is only remembered because he returned home. As long as our flight leads to more flights in the future, I’ll accept that comparison.”

“Dr. Flat, you were on the long-haul excursion that traveled around the Moon from the ground. You’ve seen more of the Moon than almost anyone. How do you expect Mars to compare?”

“I think one thing that will really mark the difference is the role that water has played in shaping Mars. On the Moon, we only have small pockets of ice in the polar regions. Lunar geology is defined by seismic events. Impacts, eruptions. On Mars, we haven’t yet found any water on the surface, yet. But everything we see tells us that it once must have had vast water systems. We see riverbeds, lakes, canyons, all showing signs of water’s influence. Mars has a different story to tell.”

4 August 1997

Expedition 31B

HAB 1 – Sagan Observatory

85° 4' 22.1" S 0° 6' 17.1" E

“Couldn’t sleep?” Cale asked, emerging into the common area.

Cynthia shook her head, “Just wasn’t happening. I dunno. Maybe it was the coffee this morning. First cup in two weeks. It might have hit me harder than I thought.”

“You could switch to decaf?” Fletcher said, with a cheshire cat grin.

Cynthia gave a small smirk, “Oh you go straight to Hell, Fletcher. You do not pass go. You do not collect two hundred dollars.”

Fletcher laughed, “You’re still not over that? It’s been like a year.”

“You know what, you hillbilly hack? You mess with a woman’s coffee, and you bring down her almighty wrath,” she said, smiling back.

“You gotta admit it was funny. Snored all through that Chamber of Commerce breakfast,” he said.

“I’ll get you back one of these days,” she said.

“Promises, promises,” he said.

He filled the cup from his personal kit with water from the small sink on the wall and then sat across from her. She broke off a piece of the Hershey bar that sat between them and then slid the rest on its wrapper across the table. He gratefully accepted the chocolate treasure.

“Breaking into the good stuff?” he said, taking a bite.

“I’m not leaving chocolate for the stargazers,” she said, enjoying another piece. “We unpacked the boxes. We get first dibs.”

“No argument from me,” Cale said.

Cynthia was perusing her APK and had a bunch of items from home out on the table. He picked up one of the family photographs that Cynthia had on the table.

“That’s a nice one of Marshall,” he said, holding it up to the dim overhead light. It showed a teenager, resplendent in a red football uniform, celebrating a touchdown with two teammates. He saw writing on the back as he turned over the photograph:

Redmont – 41 Mathis – 35, 11/5/94, First Touchdown

Cynthia took the card stock and smiled at the memory. The silence kept that moment fresh. She exhaled.

“How are you holding up?” he asked.

“I miss John snoring in the bed next to me. Weird the things you get used to,” she said.

“You want to trade? Sergio snores like a cartoon bear,” he said, smiling.

“No, I got enough of that on the way out,” she said. A beat passed and she gestured to the strewn photos between them, “We’re only up here a month. Why did they have them send along all this stuff?”

“Part of the simulation,” Cale said. “Gotta get the weight right.”

He gestured to the small box at the end of the table. It sat next to her APK box. It was blank, black, and square.

“What is that?” he asked.

“Oh, it’s Sasha’s latest,” she said, putting the photos away and sliding the box between them. “One of her teachers told her about it.”

“She sent up a chess set?” Cale guessed, knowing the love of the game that Cynthia’s daughter had.

“Not quite. This one is new,” Cynthia said.

“What is it?” he said.

She started to unfold a thin square game board. The green and white pattern had the appearance of a chessboard, but as he looked closer, he noted that this field was ten by ten with four additional squares at the corners.

“It’s called ‘Omega Chess’. Bigger board and they added two new pieces.” She placed a couple of plastic figures in the middle of the board. Fletcher picked up the first one. It looked like a crescent moon on a small table. His face asked the question.

“That’s called a Wizard. He moves kind of like a knight, but farther out. He can also step diagonally. You get two and they start in the corners.”

He put down the piece and picked up its companion. “Kind of looks like that black knight from Monty Python. You know, the guy with his arms chopped off?” he said.

“That’s a Champion. They can move two spaces in any direction and one space as long as it isn’t diagonal,” she moved the piece back and forth to show him.

“Neat,” he said, turning the piece over, admiring the crusader helmet at the top. He considered the board, “Changes up what can mate and what can’t.”

She nodded, “We’ve been learning it on weekends. Trying to figure out strategies. She smiled, “It’s the only way I can beat her at chess anymore.”

“You’ll have to teach me on the way out,” Cale said, handing the piece back to her.

“We’ll have time,” she said, storing the game away for later.

“We should sleep. Tomorrow might be indoors, but it’ll still be heavy,” plans called for them to unpack the containers for the lab downstairs.

Cynthia nodded and rose from her seat. Together, they stowed the table and chairs on the wall rack and headed to the alcoves on either side of the common area that the engineers had genuinely described as “crew quarters.”

“Did you pick something for the real one?” Cynthia said, pointing to the small brass plate on the wall.

He sighed, “Not yet. Why is that my call, anyway? It feels like something the President should choose.”

“You’re the commander,” she said, shrugging.

“Having a hard enough time with the first words,” he said.

“Frank Borman kinda screwed you there, didn’t he?”

Fletcher shrugged.

“It’ll come to you. Sleep tight, you big hillbilly,” she said.

“Night night, you rockhead,” he replied.

She shut the curtain to the room she shared with Sally. Fletcher took a moment to ponder the image of Sagan and the words on the plaque:

The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars.

28 March 1998

FarSight VII

Low Martian Orbit

Orbital Inclination 81°

Day 1478 – Diagnostic Check 3

Internal Temperature Readings: NOMINAL

Battery Temperature Readings: NOMINAL

Backup Battery Temperature Readings: NOMINAL

Power Levels: NOMINAL – 27%

Solar Panel A: 81% of MAX

Solar Panel B: 84% of MAX

Solar Panel C: 97% of MAX

Solar Panel D: 38% of MAX

Primary Scanner Integrity: 91%

Secondary Scanner Integrity: 96%

Radio Temperature Readings: NOMINAL

Hi-Gain Signal: ONLINE

Omnidirectional Beacon: ONLINE

Receiver Strength: NOMINAL

RCS Remaining: 3%

CMG Subsystem……..

***INCOMING SIGNAL DETECTED***

***PRIORITY OVERRIDE – A4***

Signal Source Origin: Surface Grid Reference 20x3N

Signal Source Designation: A1 HAB

**RELAY DIRECTIVE INITIATED**

A1 HAB Override of data downlink – Authorized through A4 priority

Transmit through Hi-Gain – Power rerouted.

Secondary Scanner – Low Voltage

Secondary Scanner OFFLINE

Transmit time to Earth: 358s (predicted)

Message Banner: A1 HAB Post-Landing Diagnostic 1

Last edited:
“Laura is English, so yeah, she’s easier to understand.

Depends on the accent. Cockney might be a tad bit hard at times.

“The Lunch Pad” would serve hundreds of meals per day to hungry tourists who had just burned calories in the long walk through the rocket garden and museum.

They gonna also be serving authentic NASA style rations and such?

They’d invited her to try it out herself. She had managed to make a bumpy landing on a simulated strip at Edwards Air Force base but had almost plowed Horizon into the VAB on the Medium difficulty, and she didn’t even try to bring the ship down during the hurricane that confronted players choosing the Extreme level.

I mean, it's a good way to seek out potential pilots....

They exited only to be blocked by a stern phalanx of Secret Service agents. The President’s advance team was prepping for his arrival just as the two of them had. They politely moved around the roped off cordon and headed for the press office in Building 16.

Given what happened the last time a POTUS was in Dallas, coupled with a fairly recent terrorist bombing spree, USSS is not taking a single chance.

And, theoretically, there shouldn’t be any significant obstacle that would impede Eagle’s path, but that was different from looking out of the forward window and seeing long shadows over grey terrain.

Famous last words. Making that kind of assumption is usually how you wind up the star in a Seconds from Disaster video.

The mission planners refused to take away from training time to teach him how to operate a Luna. Understandable as it was a completely new spacecraft that wouldn’t be used on Athena. Instead, for this little excursion, they found themselves in an Eagle, which was familiar, but prone to little bugs when it was time to improvise.

Fair, better to use something you know intimately, as opposed to something new entirely....

After all, Columbus is only remembered because he returned home.

Well, that and holy shit, being bad by Spanish colonial standards, allegedly.

“You could switch to decaf?” Fletcher said, with a cheshire cat grin.
Yeah, I'm reminded of a tale from a friend over on SB. Temp manager wanted to get a permanent job, swapped out the coffee pot's coffee for decaf. Took them a few days to figure out why suddenly productivity dropped, and then who was to blame.

You can guess that she didn't get the job.

A great chapter as always, super excited for the next one. The reference to Contact is great, one of my favorite films. Excellent stuff!

More great stuff.
“I can’t believe Chick-Fil-A turned us down,” she said, nodding to the bespectacled, space-suited chicken statue that stood by the cash registers.
I am not surprised. Anyone that caters to tourists better be open Sunday.

28 March 1998

FarSight VII

Low Martian Orbit

Orbital Inclination 81°

Day 1478 – Diagnostic Check 3

Internal Temperature Readings: NOMINAL

Battery Temperature Readings: NOMINAL

Backup Battery Temperature Readings: NOMINAL

Power Levels: NOMINAL – 27%

Solar Panel A: 81% of MAX

Solar Panel B: 84% of MAX

Solar Panel C: 97% of MAX

Solar Panel D: 38% of MAX

Primary Scanner Integrity: 91%

Secondary Scanner Integrity: 96%

Radio Temperature Readings: NOMINAL

Hi-Gain Signal: ONLINE

Omnidirectional Beacon: ONLINE

Receiver Strength: NOMINAL

RCS Remaining: 3%

CMG Subsystem……..

***INCOMING SIGNAL DETECTED***

***PRIORITY OVERRIDE – A4***

Signal Source Origin: Surface Grid Reference 20x3N

Signal Source Designation: A1 HAB

**RELAY DIRECTIVE INITIATED**

A1 HAB Override of data downlink – Authorized through A4 priority

Transmit through Hi-Gain – Power rerouted.

Secondary Scanner – Low Voltage

Secondary Scanner OFFLINE

Transmit time to Earth: 358s (predicted)

Message Banner: A1 HAB Post-Landing Diagnostic 1

Message coming through, suddenly lights up at Mission Control:
"We've been trying to reach you about your Hab's extended warranty...." :)

Randy