Ocean of Storms: A Timeline of A Scientific America

Saw this and wanted to share it. It's a great video of a theoretical flight of the X-20. Could work as something of a teaser trailer for OoS.

Still hard at work on the next chapter. Thanks!

Just wanted to show this because I thought it was cool.

In working on OOS, I make a point to have ideas that are far ahead of where I'm currently publishing. One of those ideas is a concept for a game that can be played on the Moon. My version (called Warball) is something of a hybrid between dodgeball and football and I'll be getting into it more many many chapters from now.

Tonight I found myself idly searching for "robot football" on Google (as one does). I stumbled on to a pretty neat looking game. It's currently free to play on Steam and the developers have a long way to go, but what they have so far is pretty cool.

I don't have a stake in this or anything, but I thought my readers might like to take a look.

Take a look here: https://gridironthegame.com/

Remarkably good rendering on that. Great transition.

Some of the folks over on "Secret Projects" forums are both awe and (typically :) ) constitutionally unable to not point out the flaws in the video :) Nothing to terrible though and frankly all of HazyGrayArt's work is awesome so ...

Randy

There is literally a short story out there from the early 60s where a Dynasoar crew is sent up to repair Telstar. Have a link:

Read that and it's quite telling that it's told from a perspective of someone who really doesn't WANT to be there in the first place and is essentially 'just-doing-his-job' :)

The fun part is the Dynasoar could have been a pretty economical, (in government 'economics' terms at any rate :) ) means of getting 5 astronauts into orbit and back... Had the Air Force not been running the program :(

Given everything happening at the time the Air Force's focus on trying, (and failing) to find a military mission for the X-20, (while pretty much cutting NASA out of the program which had the effect of also cutting out any possible support from them for the program, somewhat ironic given the reversal of this during the Shuttle program) meant it was never going to be truly considered an "X" plane program and therefor was constantly in danger of cancellation, (which eventually happened) as a purely military program.

As a victim of the persistent 'war' between NASA and the Air Force over the early American space program it's always going to be a fascinating "What if?" topic and one I'd love to see stretched out into a proper timeline.

Randy

As a victim of the persistent 'war' between NASA and the Air Force over the early American space program it's always going to be a fascinating "What if?" topic and one I'd love to see stretched out into a proper timeline.
To my knowledge, there is one TL similar to that of which you're describing; Kolyma's Shadow, from Nixonshead. It's really good, so I'd recommend checking it out.

XXXIX: Out of State Visitor
Out Of State Visitor

505ded47f276711279dcde27cb7ab93a.jpg
6 March 1986

Moonbase Outpost

Expedition 8

Day 4

“And so, the alien comes back down a day later and they show him the peace plan, and they’re all proud of it. And the alien, big ol’ fella. He takes one look at this thing and he just bursts out laughing at the guys. And he’s like, ‘No, no, you misunderstood me. A small talent for war. We wanted you to be good warriors. We breed races to fight other aliens.’”

“Oh, man.”

“Yeah, and so they go back to their ships and blow us all to hell and start again.”

“That’s wild.”

“Yeah, I think they were trying to do it like ‘To Serve Man’ from the original series. Didn’t quite land, but I like that they tried.”

“Well, no one does it like Rod Serling.”

“You got that right.”

“Are you two always like this when you’re in spacesuits?” she asked.

“Not much else to do while you’re waiting for the door,” John said.

The red light at the back of the room changed to green and Bob turned the valves that opened the door.

“Moonbase, Houston. Looks like the lock is cycled. You’re go for egress,” came the friendly voice from Earth.

“Hey, are we on VOX?” John asked.

“No, we’re not on VOX,” Bob replied.

John turned a knob on his chest pack. His tone went from conversational to aviation formal, “Houston, Team Bravo, we’re egressing now.”

Bob Wilson and John Valentine had one priority on this spacewalk, the care and safety of NASA’s most precious cargo to date.

From the back of the airlock, Barbara Morgan watched the hatch swing open as she prepared for the biggest lesson of her life.

When the Teacher In Space program had been announced a few years ago, the astronaut corps generally welcomed the concept. The future would require so-called average people to be able to make the journey to orbit and back. Space travel could not forever remain available only to the titans of the aviation, engineering, and scientific fields.

The goal of NASA in the 1980s was expansion and that meant expansion on all fronts, including personnel. On the old Apollos, they’d managed to bring a few genuine scientists along for the ride. Today, it was a teacher from Montana at the lunar south pole. Give it a few more years and a few more rockets and one day they would have an artist on Mars, or a novelist orbiting Io.

“Just keep out the damned lawyers,” had been the quote Bob Wilson had given to the press.

Jeremy and Judy were already out on the ridge. The telescope that was set up was more for show than anything else, but it was a nice little stage prop and lightweight enough that it was worth the trouble.

As Bob climbed into the driver’s side hatch of the open air rover, John went to the passenger side and helped Barbara into the seat. They all knew that she was more than capable of handling herself in a spacesuit, but NASA was not going to take any chances on her safety and Houston was monitoring their movements on the rover’s interior cameras.

“Okay, Houston, we’ve got Barbara strapped in. How’s our clock?” Bob said. He put the rover in gear and began to drive away, kicking up a small fountain of moon dust in their wake.

“Bravo Team, Houston, you’ve got thirty-five minutes to air time. We’ve got several million fourth-graders that will be watching, so let’s not keep them waiting. You don’t want to ruin recess.”

“Roger that,” Bob said, smirking under his visor.

“If only it was just fourth-graders,” Barbara muttered.

She would be live in schools across the country, on every grade level. The lesson plan was fairly juvenile, but every school with a TV and a power outlet wanted to be a part of this.

“Judy, everything okay at the ridge?” Bob asked.

“Still setting up, but so far so good,” was the reply.

“Jeremy, did you remember the ignition keys for the camera?” Bob asked.

“Shut up,” Jeremy said.

“Ignition keys?” Barbara asked.

“Rover training. Two years ago. Jeremy was what, six months into the program. We’re out in California driving the rover prototype. We come back from lunch and it’s Jeremy’s turn behind the wheel. Before he gets in, Bob asks him if he has the ignition key. That he was supposed to grab it before we went to lunch. Jeremy just flips out, starts looking for it frantically. One of the techs came over and told him, ‘that’s not how it works.’ We all just burst out laughing,” John said.

“Not funny, you guys,” said Jeremy over the radio.

“Oh it was damned funny,” Bob replied.

“Looked for those keys for twenty minutes!” Jeremy said.

“Hey, my first week in survival training back in ’78, they stuck a damn lizard in my sleeping bag,” Bob said.

“Did you flip out too?” Jeremy asked.

“Nah, we cuddled. Cute little guy. I still see him sometimes on the weekends, when my wife is out of town. I don’t wanna get into it over the radio,” Bob said.

Judy’s laugh came over the comms, “Houston, I’m gonna set up the camera.”

“Roger that, Judy. We’re ready to receive.”

Ahead, Bob and John were driving up to the crest of the ridge where Judy and Jeremy were setting up. Their white suits popped against the dim grey of the lunar surface. They could see Jeremy turning the telescope towards the sky. Judy was hunched over a crate a few yards away. The ground was littered with their footprints. Bob brought the rover came to a stop.

“We’re seeing a picture here,” came the word from Houston.

“Hang on, let me get it down on the tripod here.”

Jeremy turned and brought the camera around.

“Alpha, um, we’ve got a problem here. We just lost picture, over,” said Houston.

Jeremy turned and semi-consciously looked up at the Earth over the horizon, “Uh, Houston, this is Alpha, say again please.”

“Alpha, we’ve had a problem. We’ve lost your image from the camera.”

“Well, uh, we had it a second ago, right?” What did you see?”

“Yeah, Jeremy, we had a shot of the surface and we could see you pan around, then it went full bright and now we’re at full black. Can you confirm the alignment?”

“Yeah, you should be seeing Judy and the scope and the ridge. You’re not getting anything?”

“That’s a negative, Alpha Team.”

“The flash,” Judy said. Her tone suddenly stricken.

“What?” Jeremy asked.

“It must have pointed at the sun. That was the full bright. It fried the camera,” Judy said.

“Oh, hell. She’s right,” John said as the rover door opened.

“Okay, well, let’s not panic. Where’s the backup?” Bob said.

“On the workbench back in the geo lab,” Jeremy said.

“What the hell is it doing there?” Bob asked.

“Getting ready to be put into the mounting on Rover 2 once we’re done here,” Judy said.

“Well, we’re not done here yet,” Bob said.

“We gotta go back and get it,” Judy said.

“Well, this is gonna be fun. How long ‘til airtime, Houston?”

“Twenty six minutes, Bravo Team,” Houston said.

“Oh crap,” John said.

“Barbara, hop out, this is your stop. Jeremy, Judy, keep an eye on her 'til we get back.”

“You’re going for the camera?” Jeremy asked.

“What else can we do?” John said.

“You’re gonna cut it tight,” Jeremy said.

“You got another option, I’m all ears.”

“Go, go, go,” Judy said.

“We’re gone,” Bob said. The rover kicked up a lovely parabola of dust that curled in a fantastic half-circle as it went through a full turn, heading back down the ridge to the base below.

“Bravo Team, be advised. You’re not authorized to break safety parameters.”

“It’s eight minutes to get there, eight back and that airlock isn’t speedy, Houston,” Bob said.

“Bravo Team…”

“The show must go on, Houston,” Bob said. He gunned the throttle and the rover gave a bit of a bounce.

“Watch out, Bob,” John said.

“Oh please, this thing is barely doing twelve. Take this gear off me and I could keep pace with a good pair of PF Flyers. I’m gonna pop the governor on this puppydog.”

“Bob…” John said.

“Relax. We’re already on the Moon.”

Five minutes later, Bob hit the brakes and skidded to a stop thirty feet from the airlock.

“Go, John,” Bob said. He gave a pat and gently pushed his pilot out of the rover door.

John bounced off the surface like a surprised frog and bunny hopped to the airlock entrance.

As the airlock cycled, John called to Jeremy on the radio, “You said the workbench in the geo lab?”

“Yeah. The backup. Make sure the damn lens cap is on.”

“Will do.”

When the pressure equalized, John Valentine lumbered through the logistics module and the sleeping quarters. He tried not to touch anything. The parts of his suit that were dusty would already be causing a problem. One reason why he didn’t bother taking off the helmet. At this point, the base’s air would already be slightly compromised with lunar dust. Fortunately, by the time they all got back, the filters would have had time to clear it out.

He saw the small, compact television camera sitting, just as Jeremy had said, right on top of the geo lab workbench. John grabbed the device with both hands, spun on his booted heel and made his way back to the airlock. With thick-gloved fingers, he activated the controls to evacuate the chamber. A few minutes later, he turned the valve once again and the door opened to the lunar surface.

Bounding out of the airlock with the camera slung under an arm, John Valentine lumbered over and climbed back into the rover.

“You forgot to shut the outer door,” Bob said, offering a hand to help him inside.

“Oh no. Let’s hope we don’t get robbed. Hit it,” John said.

“Hitting it,” Bob said and sped away.

At a breakneck speed of 11mph, the rover ran over the tracks it had just made, arriving as fast as possible back at the ridgeline.

“A minute thirty to air,” Houston said.

“I’ve got it. I’ve got it,” John said. He climbed down from the rover and made for the empty tripod.

“We haven’t had a chance to do a color test on this yet,” Jeremy said.

“Perfect, let’s do one,” Bob said.

John and Jeremy mounted the unit and carefully aimed the camera forward. When the alignment was perfect, Jeremy pulled the lens cap away.

Over the radio, Houston gave the final call.

“We’re live in three, two…”

John pointed at Barbara, and she spoke to millions of children, a quarter-million miles away.

VAB.jpeg

18 March 1986

Vehicle Assembly Building

Kennedy Space Center

28° 35′ 10.61″ N 80° 39′ 4.61″ W

He had stepped outside to try and catch a glimpse of the comet, but the light just wasn’t right. They said this particular trip wouldn’t be great for viewing. Something about the position of the comet relative to the Sun and the Earth. It was disappointing. He knew he wouldn’t live another eighty-six years to see it again.

His daughter might. She was only seven, and still bursting with energy every time she got a chance to talk about space and comets and the television lesson from Miss Barbara on the Moon. It had been the highlight of her 2nd-grade year.

Now, with Spring Break in full swing, Lucille had taken little Stacy to Disney World. While they rode the teacups, he had been here at Kennedy, trying to turn a military spacecraft into a civilian one.

He began to long for the strained annoyance of “It’s a Small World After All.”

The sun was setting and he walked back in. Lucille had been warned that this was their vacation, not his and he didn’t expect her to call and make a fuss. She’d been married to Hank Patterson, Hadden Aerospace Engineer since 1975. She knew what the life was and she’d always been fine managing a house and a daughter in his absence.

Not that it eased his guilt.

Star Wars was dead. It had been useless to argue otherwise. Surely a few Redwoods had fallen in the printing of white papers that showed that Dan Rather’s scenario was ludicrous, lucky, or impossible to duplicate, but it wouldn’t matter, it was dead. And the way he knew it was dead was because they said so on the nightly news. No amount of shouting, in ink or microphones would make a difference.

Now, there were some decisions to be made.

Quietly, he’d made inquiries about some of the other parts of SDI that were not under his purview. It looked like NASA was going to have some new hardware. Either that or the Museum of the Air Force was going to become a very popular tourist attraction.

Someone else’s problem.

“Mr. Patterson, they’re ready for us again.”

He turned, nodded, and walked back inside. This was going to be a long, hot Florida summer and he wasn’t looking forward to working here to convert Shadow into something else.

Sitting at the conference table again, he reached down to check his briefcase and found a couple of the other folders that he’d had his staff prepare. The concepts were a little comical and he thumbed through them as the meeting reconvened.

There was the X-Wing plan. That called for strapping lasers (which hadn’t yet been designed) on to Shadow’s wings and use her to destroy Soviet satellites. Ironically, that plan had been shot down. If it had been approved, they were going to tell the public it was a rig to shoot down incoming meteors. It would have been fun to see if anyone believed that.

Another plan involved actually rigging a Clipper chassis to deflect incoming meteors. That involved converting the nose section from its docking ring to a giant clamp, then gutting the fuselage and replacing it with a fuel tank, at which point they’d launch and use the ship as a giant thruster to push an incoming rock off course.

It would have to be a very particular meteor, but hey, the study had been fun for an engineering class from San Diego State.

Then there was the conga-line plan. That was in case the Moonbase suffered some kind of malfunction and NASA wanted to abandon it in favor of a low-cost Earth orbiting station. That plan involved launching all remaining Clippers into low Earth orbit, docking them together nose to tail and letting astronauts use the interior space as an orbiting lab. They’d keep one or two Clippers out of the conga-line for transport. It would be a horribly wasteful plan, only to be used in the face of desperation or sheer stupidity.

His favorite of the Hail Mary plans was for a single seat flight to Mars. That one had been fun for the engineering group. Hadden’s people had developed a scheme for a Mars flyby with one lone astronaut at the helm. The Clipper would be outfitted for a life support system that could sustain a single occupant for fifteen months. With a nuke strapped to their butt and all the freeze-dried ice cream they could eat, the single astronaut would spend more than a year in isolation for a chance to fly over the night-side of Mars in an encounter that would last a few hours.

He didn’t expect that plan to get much traction either.

The general consensus was that they’d go with one of two options. First was to use Shadow as a bus. Have it fly back and forth from Skydock in LEO to lunar orbit and back again. This would allow NASA to attach the Zeus engine in a more rigid fashion and would avoid the Zeus having to fly alone or have it dock with every Clipper that came up from the surface. The upsides were pretty simple, not the least of which was the ability to pack more than a typical number of astronauts aboard. The modifications would mean more cargo and more personnel. The retrofitting could be completed quickly and wouldn’t take a lot of new parts. From what he’d heard today, it felt like the room was behind the plan.

At the bottom of the pile, he found the folder for the New Olympus option. He leafed through it.

New Olympus was a plan to convert Shadow into a lunar-orbiting space station. The Olympus station had done a lot in terms of support for the old Apollo flights, but it was locked into an almost equatorial orbit, making it useless in providing any aid for a base at the South Pole.

Shadow could be outfitted with some new systems and injected into a frozen orbit that would give excellent coverage to Moonbase and to expeditions that would soon be heading into the craters around the pole. The ship would serve as an orbiting base for the Eagle lunar shuttles that ferried crews down to the surface. Much as Skydock served as an outlet for Zeus motors and incoming Clippers, New Olympus could serve Clippers and Eagles. A long-term space station would be more of a retrofit. It involved putting on more docking ports and possibly one of the Canadarms that had become so useful for Earth-orbiting flights, but it could be worth the trouble.

Officially, Hadden had asked him to back the bus plan, but in his heart of hearts, he’d rather see his girl become a space station than a Greyhound.

The gathered officials were gathering to lay out the agenda for tomorrow’s meeting. He was mostly here to provide information and serve as Hadden’s voice and ears.

In the morning, someone would undoubtedly ask him what they should do with Shadow. He looked forward to sleeping on it.

Teacher in Space brought tears to my eyes. I will never forget the Challenger, and being from New Hampshire, it's especially moving.
(How many people have the skies claimed in this timeline? I remember the Russians on the Venus flyby.)

To my knowledge, there is one TL similar to that of which you're describing; Kolyma's Shadow, from Nixonshead. It's really good, so I'd recommend checking it out.

Read it :) And yes it's really, really good.

IIRC though the US Air Force uses the Dynasoar but it's not very efficient or used in a utility manner. More as a "Winged Blue Gemini", or essentially what the Air Force was pitching it for but OTL was unable to justify for such missions. Something to expand on was my comment on it being a relatively economical means of getting five (5) astronauts into orbit and back...

Not that you could do much with them once they got into orbit and getting them, in (or out) of the thing would have been a nightmare without opening up the whole fuselage top. (Which is what they did with the demonstration of actually packing them in there... You could get six in if you stacked someone in the tail section :) ) And all that was part of the issues with the Air Force running the program as they didn't have a clue what to do with it if they did happen to get it and it showed.

A more collaborative effort, (and yes I understand how tough that would be at the time but one can hope :) ) could have led to a more useful "test" vehicle configuration and program.

Randy

Rereading Ocean of Storms after rereading Steven Baxter's Voyage. Don't know which one I like better! Keep up the good work.

Ocean of Storms doesn't subjugate the Lunar missions to only supporting, (and then being strangled to death by funding cuts to directly support) a Mars mission and is far less likely to be a "one-time-deal" flags-and-footprints event that never happens again. "Voyage" has it's moments but keeping in mind it's simply "Apollo" written even larger with even less sustainability and future utility built in, I prefer the direction of "Ocean of Storms" myself :)

Randy

Ocean of Storms doesn't subjugate the Lunar missions to only supporting, (and then being strangled to death by funding cuts to directly support) a Mars mission and is far less likely to be a "one-time-deal" flags-and-footprints event that never happens again. "Voyage" has it's moments but keeping in mind it's simply "Apollo" written even larger with even less sustainability and future utility built in, I prefer the direction of "Ocean of Storms" myself :)

Randy

I meant more story-wise. I'd take Ocean of Storms over Voyage in terms of spaceflight missions done anyway.

I meant more story-wise. I'd take Ocean of Storms over Voyage in terms of spaceflight missions done anyway.

Very kind of you, though I'm sure Mr. Baxter (is it Mr.? not sure if he has a doctorate?) would gladly take the profits from Voyage over the joys that I've had from writing OoS.

I remember a few years ago I caught a snippet from one of those shows about restaurants with one of the chefs who yells at people. He was talking to the owner of some seafood place that must have been in dire straits and said something to the effect of, "It's lobster. You don't have to do anything to it to make it good."

Despite the context being certainly lost on me, the concept has resonated in my brain every time I sit down to write another chapter.

Crewed (I'm trying to be better about that) spaceflight is already interesting enough without the need to throw any additional ingredients at it. So many space-based alternate history stories (really most stories centered on NASA in the 20th century) tend, either through convention or necessity, to focus more on life on the ground. I don't know about the rest of you, but I prefer my space stories to be in space. I'm sure there's a grand sci-fi writer or two who would scoff at the sentiment, but I'm an entertainer.

I haven't given you much by way of recurring characters. Nor have I had much to say about the inner conflicts of the astronauts. Personal issues have largely been scenery, garnish, or background material. Comedy tends to supercede emotion in this work. And spectacle supercedes all else. My favorite writer had a character say, "An artist's job is to captivate you for however long we've asked for your attention. If we stumble into truth, we got lucky, and I don't get to decide what truth is."

I've always been of the opinion that science-fiction is about the human condition. It's my favorite way to tell stories about human beings and the struggles that come from being one. Alternate history, for all that it is, is another kettle of fish. To me, alternate history presents Frost's "road not taken" and that road is only interesting to walk down if its the scenic route.

Before I could write a word of OoS, I had to delve (somewhat) into the alt-history timelines that are already present online. What I found was a treasure-trove of well-researched informative stories that were beloved because they had a readership that was as well-versed in the material as the authors. This has been almost a universal finding with every timeline I've seen here.

Despite my education, I know enough to know that I'm not nearly as much of an expert in the fields of aerospace and history as many of my readers and fellow authors. Not wishing to compete with people who clearly know more than I do, I looked for a different path. I tend to think of OoS as something like "Armageddon", compared to the "Deep Impact"s of Eyes Turned Skyward or Right Side Up. Not as realistic, not as technically sound, but (hopefully) just as enjoyable when looking for an afternoon's entertainment.

Having said that, I have endeavoured to put as much of my dreams and hopes into OoS as I can. It's a love letter to NASA. A love letter to Arthur C. Clarke and Rod Serling and Jim Lovell and everyone who ever wore a white shirt and a black tie in a smoke filled room, trying to keep human beings in a tin can alive as they flew into an infinite nothing. As much as anything though, I hope you will all see this as a love letter to this community. This living library of historians, mathematicians, writers, artists and creators. Nothing that I've written here could have stood alone without this community. It's one of the reasons why I cherish every comment and question that comes through the alerts.

With all my bluster on the desire to keep a space-based timeline in space, I'll admit that the irony is not lost on me that the next chapter of OoS is much more Earth-based than what you've been getting. Nevertheless, I hope you'll all enjoy Chapter XL: Weight of the World. It's still in pieces on my word processor, but I look forward to sharing it as soon as it's ready.

In the meantime, I'm hoping to post the end of Episode II of my revised Star Wars Prequel Trilogy before the end of this month, and I hope you'll all take a look at that as well.

Very kind of you, though I'm sure Mr. Baxter (is it Mr.? not sure if he has a doctorate?) would gladly take the profits from Voyage over the joys that I've had from writing OoS.
>snip<

It is telling that this response in and of itself is as entertaining and informative as a typical update in OoS :)

You, good sir, keep doing what you're doing please :)

Randy

Folks, I'm very sorry to have seemingly abandoned you. I'd like to use 2020 as an excuse, but to be honest, it's not so much my particular situation as that of my beloved country. Whenever I find myself ready to write, instead, somehow I wind up looking at polling numbers. I hope it will suffice that I have the next chapter outlined and am making steady, if slow, progress on it. I hope to have it ready after things settle down a bit. I ask for your patience in this time of worry.

I do plan on having a conclusion to episode II in my Star Wars rewrite. I'm putting the finishing touches on that and will likely be posting it within the next 24 hours.

As always, thank you for reading and please, for those of you that are able: vote.
All the best,
-BowOfOrion

You have been writing a quality story. You needn't apologize for whenever the Muse is or is not striking. But this note is appreciated. We look forward to whenever your mojo makes its way back into your life.