NWS Rule the Waves 2 Thread

US.
I was also limited by a 12 year Treaty that limited ship size to 18000 tons. Also the ships there were meant to flee to the Pacific afterwards to beef up the Philippines

One can create a nice, small and robust 29-30 knots CV (NOT CVL, heavier then 16000 tons) that can carries 36-40 planes (depends on how much armaments, torpedo protection and armor you put on it) with 1950 tech. Building 9 of such CVs, load them with fighters and torpedo bombers and then deploy them in triplets, you got a very nice carrier forces that can provide basic CAP and strike capacity, acting as force multiplier for the capital ships and allow them to fight the larger enemy fleet, esp. when the land-based planes provide recon.

The current AI remains pretty bad in carrier warfare and I have negated enemy's numerical superiority in capital ships by using CVs/CVLs. Also, I tend to design my capital ships with heavier armor and comparable or faster speed while compromising on firepower, so my ships are generally more survivable than AI designs and rely on training and good fire control to hit first and hit accurately.

One can create a nice, small and robust 29-30 knots CV (NOT CVL, heavier then 16000 tons) that can carries 36-40 planes (depends on how much armaments, torpedo protection and armor you put on it) with 1950 tech. Building 9 of such CVs, load them with fighters and torpedo bombers and then deploy them in triplets, you got a very nice carrier forces that can provide basic CAP and strike capacity, acting as force multiplier for the capital ships and allow them to fight the larger enemy fleet, esp. when the land-based planes provide recon.

The current AI remains pretty bad in carrier warfare and I have negated enemy's numerical superiority in capital ships by using CVs/CVLs. Also, I tend to design my capital ships with heavier armor and comparable or faster speed while compromising on firepower, so my ships are generally more survivable than AI designs and rely on training and good fire control to hit first and hit accurately.

Only 30-40? I managed 60

++Snip++

The WWI German philosiphy then.

The WWI German philosiphy then.

The difference in firepower isn't that great though. I will take a 15 inch +1 quality guns equipped 30 knots, 14.5 inch belt and 4.5 deck 4 torpedo protection BB anytime of the month if the alternative is a 17 inch 0 quality guns equipped 13.5 inch belt and 4 deck 28 knots BB.

25 knots, 8 8 inch guns, 1 inch side armor, no TDS, and about 20 small AA

25 knots is too slow for 1950s carriers and most BBs would be able to catch up with your CV.

8 inch guns should no longer be necessary for CV design in 1950 and it is a waste of valuable tonnage. You should have developed 5 or 6 inch DP guns and autoloaders by 1950. Use them.

1 TDS is absolute min needed unless you want your CV sink after 1 torpedo hit.

As for AA, LAA alone is not a good idea in late game.

http://nws-online.proboards.com/thread/3046/effectiveness-mid-late-game-compared

Most planes are at mid 1930s level. The others are at 1920s level Otherwise the Port Arthur raid would've been a success.

You should have developed 5 or 6 inch DP guns and autoloaders by 1950.
Amusingly I've seen the AI develop ships with DP in 1907. Considerably before any nation has developed aircraft so I'm not sure what they intend on engaging. Hot air balloons and UFOs I suppose.

Last edited:
Amusingly I've seen the AI develop ships with DP in 1907. Considerably before any nation has developed aircraft so I'm not sure what they intend on engaging. Hot air balloons and aliens I suppose.
Thunderchild intensifies

Last edited:
With the latest 1.2 patch, I return to RTW2. The latest air management system feel interesting, esp. with the more realistic loss model of aircraft.