Now is the Winter of Our Discontent

"The early Elizabethan era has certainly been a minefield for dramatists, Shakespeare's 'Arthur: King of the Britons' has been considered by some to be directly referencing one of history's most infamous love triangles. Perhaps it is inaccurate to refer to it as a love triangle and more as a love quadrangle or even love decahedron considering all that ensued. This aspect was made infamous in Richard Brinsley Sheridan's satire and comedy of manners, "One Fine Morning in Greenwich"

There is much to make sense of and unless a certain time travelling car is made available to us then I doubt we will ever get all the answers. In this documentary however we will at least attempt to answer some of the more pressing questions, the author and recipient of the so called 'Rose Garden letters' for one. Who Elizabeth Percy references in her epic poem 'Queen Mab' is another, though it seems obvious to whom indeed it refers."

- The Love Triangle that Changed England, Netflix (2020)

"The early Elizabethan era has certainly been a minefield for dramatists, Shakespeare's 'Arthur: King of the Britons' has been considered by some to be directly referencing one of history's most infamous love triangles. Perhaps it is inaccurate to refer to it as a love triangle and more as a love quadrangle or even love decahedron considering all that ensued. This aspect was made infamous in Richard Brinsley Sheridan's satire and comedy of manners, "One Fine Morning in Greenwich"

There is much to make sense of and unless a certain time travelling car is made available to us then I doubt we will ever get all the answers. In this documentary however we will at least attempt to answer some of the more pressing questions, the author and recipient of the so called 'Rose Garden letters' for one. Who Elizabeth Percy references in her epic poem 'Queen Mab' is another, though it seems obvious to whom indeed it refers."

OOH. Such a short chapter, but so tantalising. I look forward to more!

OOH. Such a short chapter, but so tantalising. I look forward to more!

I realised I could do some set up while I do some collating and take my mind off this battle, some shorter updates might ensue as I'm not particularly happy with where the next few large chapter have ended up but glad you enjoyed! I may have to rewrite even more, so we don't have total behemoths...

I realised I could do some set up while I do some collating and take my mind off this battle, some shorter updates might ensue as I'm not particularly happy with where the next few large chapter have ended up but glad you enjoyed! I may have to rewrite even more, so we don't have total behemoths...
If your last chapter wanted made us curious well you have without doubt reached the effect with me

If your last chapter wanted made us curious well you have without doubt reached the effect with me
That's the goal! Here's another tease/fun fact, one of the people involved will certainly have unintended consequences for their actions...with a descendant known as 'The Great Pretender'

This was... intriguing. I'm looking forward to the next chapters!

"Rutland!" Kitty's voice called as high and sharp as a bell across the dance floor, "What was that about saving a dance for your dearest friend?"

"Dearest friend?" The fair haired man raised an eyebrow in amusement, "You think highly of yourself Kathryn,"

Kitty let out a scoff, "Nevertheless, you promised that you would dance with all of Bess' ladies didn't you? Don't you think I haven't been paying attention to you taking Lizzie for the last dance and ignoring me,"

"I was just keeping my promise Kathryn, I did say I'd dance with you all didn't I?"

"Yes but I don't think Lizzie wanted to be dragged out of Robin's arms and everyone knows that I'm one of the best dancers at court and besides -,"

Her playful nagging of Edward was cut off when the man's attention was caught by a dark haired woman in green, she was petite and lovely looking Kitty supposed. She opened her mouth to say something before Edward strode away in the woman's direction leaving her bereft and without a dance partner.

"Abandon me why don't you?" Kitty huffed in a dramatic fashion.

"You needn't worry Kitty," Another dark haired young woman appeared at her side, this one a few years younger than the woman in green and one Kitty knew well. Her cousin and Lizzie's elder sister, Eleanor Percy who had just been released from the arms of her betrothed, Thomas Grey. "I'm sure you'll have the pick of the bunch for the next one,"

"I wouldn't mind but he did promise," Kitty wasn't as put out as she made to be, "I'll go steal Connie back from Arthur and save her from his offers to recite her some of his poetry but do you know who that is anyway? I swear I've never seen her before, is she one of the ladies to the Dowager Queen?"

"One of her new ones yes," Eleanor said with a nod, "One of the daughters of the Earl of Shrewsbury, Chastity Talbot,"

Kitty made a face, "Is she destined for the nunnery with that name?"

"Kitty!" Eleanor said but she couldn't stop herself from letting out a giggle, "I assume not if her father's sent her here, I'm surprised that he didn't try and secure her a spot in the Queen's household but perhaps she no longer has room,"

"Perhaps..." Kitty trailed off, examining Edward who was now in deep conversation with Lady Talbot. "The Earl of Rutland certainly seems as though he knows her,"

She glanced around the room looking for Bess, the Queen seemed to be caught up yet again by Lord Sinclair and Kitty bit her lip, unable to help the uneasy feeling in her chest.

Heaven help her but she didn't think this was going to go well.

Oh no. Rutland and Elizabeth are both clearly besotted...but not necessarily with the right people!
Dramatists are definitely getting their inspiration from how that turns out.. understandable really, Edward has waited for Elizabeth for a very long time. He's in this thirties at this point, so he has uh been elsewhere.

"They were all cheering for her, into the early hours," Chastity Talbot sniffed from her position, naked save for a bedsheet to preserve her modesty.

Her lover looked at her with somewhat surprise, "I think everyone would have cheered for anyone who came after the mad King, the celebrations have lasted a week. The Queen Dowager has been clever, besides she's young and beautiful like something out of a story,"

Chastity raised an eyebrow, "You really do think she's beautiful then? Even more than me?" There was half a pout on her lips as Edward, Earl of Rutland bent down to kiss it away.

"Any woman at court is merely a candle to the sun in comparison to you, you've had my heart since we were young,"

"Does it matter that I have your heart when I won't have your hand?"

"Chastity -" Edward began before shaking his head, "You know that I would marry you if it were my choice alone but it is more important than that. I would be the first man in all of England and -,"

"You would already be that," Chastity said sourly, "If your mother and you had sense enough to press your claim before that little girl's, you're the most senior man of Plantagenet blood and -,"

"If you recall," Edward said his lips pressed together, "My Uncle still lives and although I am his heir as he will not wed and he comes before me,"

"But your grandfather was a King and -,"

"My father was a bastard," Edward said bluntly, "My uncle and the Queen do not have that stain on their bloodline, my Uncle swore his oath as Lord Protector and my mother swore her loyalty to the Queen Dowager in exchange for Elizabeth's hand to join with mine when she came of age. Neither would throw their support behind me and -" He paused, staring at her. "Why do you press the matter so?"

"Only out of love of you," Chastity raised her gaze to meet his and Edward found himself weakening before her dark eyes. "And what I think you are owed,"

It was not entirely the truth, not that Chastity would ever admit it. Her brother had joked as a child that she often acted as though she ought to have a crown on her dark curls. Her brother perhaps should not have joked, for it had put ideas in her head. Especially when Edward had all but fallen into her lap.

"I love you," Chastity said gently and she almost did mean it.

"I love you too," Edward said and when he bent down to kiss her again, there was no more talk between them.

Oh dear. I see your Chastity is almost as pleasant as my Mary... :p
What are you talking about the Talbot genes mean perfectly nice and pleasant women with no ambitions at all...;)

I'm not sure names like Chastity was a thing at this time in England...

IIRC 'virtue' names like that became a thing after the Reformation, beginning in the 1540s, so it should be fine...

Might not have been but she wasn't named by me and it's stuck, it also appeals to my very juvenile sense of humor so here we are. Said namer was also responsible for Prudence Cockburn who you're a century or so off meeting and also the very awfully named children of Queen Caroline...

What are you talking about the Talbot genes mean perfectly nice and pleasant women with no ambitions at all...;)

Might not have been but she wasn't named by me and it's stuck, it also appeals to my very juvenile sense of humor so here we are. Said namer was also responsible for Prudence Cockburn who you're a century or so off meeting and also the very awfully named children of Queen Caroline...
Prudence Cockburn? That is a spectacular name, bahahaha! 😂😂😂

I meant to have an update today, so a general apology that my revisions aren't going as planned, my current muse is for two weddings that are some chapters away. So there we are, we may venture back into historical excerpts for a little while. Some mild teasing trivia in lieu of an actual update, you've met two brides and a groom already ;).

Also some more official statistics as I tweaked the family tree a little, we currently stand at ten Edwards having ruled England, four Richards and our six Queens all have different names so I couldn't tally that...

Of course not mentioning anyone by any other name who may have ruled England.

Interlude: "Newfoundland"
I did not magically get over my block for my revisions in the space of a couple of hours but hey ho, I did polish this off a little so I can content my brain with something for today ;)

"[...] It is by the Queen's grace that I am commanded to go and it is my pleasure, Arthur is old enough to handle my affairs in good stead now and shall remain at court for the time being. I know you much prefer Hever and little Nan is young still, so the running of the estate is in your capable hands. I promise that I will return and you shall call yourself the wife of the finest explorer in the world!"

- Excerpt from a letter from George Boleyn, (then) Earl of Wiltshire to his wife, Genevieve Lytton, "The collected correspondence of George Boleyn, 1st Duke of Wiltshire."

"It was not long after the coronation that George Boleyn left Bristol, with no particular destination in mind but the open sea. The so called "new world" had been visited on voyages before, not yet by England and with a young Queen determined to prove herself on the world's stage. George Boleyn had been charged with a mighty mission and England would wait with baited breath.

He would return with good news."

- England's Exploration: From George Boleyn to Charlotte's Empire by Gemma Fitzroy

"This New Found Land is the first of many I hope, but the first we claim in the name of our Queen. I will look to return and [rest of fragment lost]"

- George Boleyn, 1549