Novus Ordo Seclorum: The Age of Empires Reborn

Main Page

The World as it Stands, 2020
For centuries, the status quo of the Old World was maintained, an endless cycle of imperialism, colonialism, and oppression. A select few, monarchs and nobles and clergymen, towered above their swathes of peasant citizens. Gods and generals kept the frightening thought of revolt and rebellion at bay. Democracy was a discarded form of government, an idea cast aside by the Ancient Greeks and entombed in the wastebin of history. For many--for most--life was a waking nightmare. Then came the Age of Revolutions. The status quo was shattered, first in America, then in France, then the world. Kings lost either their autocratic powers or their heads. The Enlightenment rekindled the flames of liberty. Men fought and died for their freedoms, rose up to take the rights that were justly theirs, established new nations and devised new governments to keep these coveted bounties safely in the hands of these brave rebels and their descendants. Which begs the question...

...what if that never happened?

Welcome to the universe. History diverged from our own in the infancies of the American Revolution, which concluded not with a fair and balanced constitutional republic but a popular, powerful, and theocratic kingdom that soon became an empire. The Great French Revolt was put down at the Storming of the Bastille in 1789, thanks to the work of a promising young Corsican artillery officer, a few well-placed cannon, and American aid. The globe was soon consumed by war, neverending conflicts of religion, economics, politics, and spheres of influence. The great empires of the West became world-spanning titans in their own right, powerhouses with itchy trigger fingers and bullseyes scattered across Africa, Asia, and South America.

And what of democracy, you may ask? What of republicanism, of the separation of church and state, of the rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness?

It's best not to mention.

I welcome you to a reality that is not a utopia, nor a dystopia. It is merely a world that could have been, had a few indomitable individuals stayed silent, had the status quo never changed. It may revolt you. It may intrigue you. It is the Old World. It is the Age of Empires.

It is Novus Ordo Seclorum.

May General George Washington the Liberator, the Son of Columbia, protect us.

Last edited:
That's a fascinating religion you've put together there! Ariana Grande as the "pope" of a bizarre new American religion Very cool.

Honestly, this whole world seems very interesting, can't wait to see more. How long did that map take to put together, the detail is crazy!

That's a fascinating religion you've put together there! Ariana Grande as the "pope" of a bizarre new American religion Very cool.
Thank you! I hope to post more on the political side of things soon.

Honestly, this whole world seems very interesting, can't wait to see more. How long did that map take to put together, the detail is crazy!
The map only took me maybe... a few hours? Not too bad by my standards, anyways. Subdivisions are my thing, which really shows in places like China and India.

Thank you! I hope to post more on the political side of things soon.
From the brief description you mentioned, it sounded like they've had a tumultuous time of it. It sounds like they saw a continuation of 1500-1700 politics; that is, an ever shifting network of European alliances with conflicts spilling out across the globe. Has anyone got the nuke? I imagine technology is a bit more conservative in its advancement and adoption.

I imagine democracy is of the elitist parliamentary variety, if it exists at all. Is that accurate?

I am a simple maps and graphics fan. I see "Fear Nothing But God"-style title header, I leave a like.

No but seriously, I've been reading your Columbia stuff and I'm glad that there's finally a thread. Let me just go ahead and follow it to see where this all goes.

[edit 2:] moved the edit.
[edit:] Watched!

Last edited:
From the brief description you mentioned, it sounded like they've had a tumultuous time of it. It sounds like they saw a continuation of 1500-1700 politics; that is, an ever shifting network of European alliances with conflicts spilling out across the globe.
For the most part, yes, though alliances got a bit more stable as the 19th and 20th centuries progressed. Columbia, Japan, and France have an age-old alliance that lasts from the 1790s to the modern day(ish), and the British and Germans tended to rally various coalitions to stop them from getting too powerful over the years.

Has anyone got the nuke? I imagine technology is a bit more conservative in its advancement and adoption.
The United Empire and France are currently the only two nuclear-armed nations in the world, something guaranteed by treaty, though many other countries (most, really) have the means to assemble a handful should they need to. A number of terrorist-built dirty bombs have been used in the fighting in India as well.

Technology and culture are all over the place, and I don't really have quite a grasp on everything yet, so what I say here is very much subject to change. Overall, I'd place tech levels at around the late 1990s, but it varies from field to field. Weapons and warfare are a little past OTL levels. The Internet and social media exist, and computers are as popular as ever. Smartphones are around, but they're about the size of the bulky OTL Energizer phone and are currently vying with flip phones for popularity. Modes of transportation are around OTL levels, but they have a '50s flair to them.

Culturally, the period the UEC is currently seeing can be compared to a strange fusion of the 1950s and the 1980s. Pop culture is booming, especially in Columbia. Fashion has seen a dramatic transformation, with older generations preferring more conservative, 1950s-esque outfits while younger generations go for loud-and-proud 1980s wear.

I imagine democracy is of the elitist parliamentary variety, if it exists at all. Is that accurate?
Kinda. The UEC is a poster child for "democracy" ITTL, with a popularly-elected congress that itself elects three chief executives (the Presidential Triumvirate) that usually advises the emperor or empress on matters and/or signs off on laws they espouse. The congress itself deals with less important matters that the monarch can't be bothered with.

I think the title might cause a bit of confusion a la Our Fair Country, so if I were you I'd probably come up with something else for the title

The Albionic Church and American Fundamentalist Church from What Madness Is This are perhaps my favourite fictional religions purely because of how weird they are. Deeply intrigued to hear about the rest of the world especially Ireland, seeing as you they're under an "Archdruid of Dubhlinn". Considering how long catholicism has been ingrained in Ireland, can't help but think they took a few pages out of the Albionic playbook and blended a bit of Celtic Revival into their interpretations of the bible

The Albionic Church and American Fundamentalist Church from What Madness Is This are perhaps my favourite fictional religions purely because of how weird they are. Deeply intrigued to hear about the rest of the world especially Ireland, seeing as you they're under an "Archdruid of Dubhlinn". Considering how long catholicism has been ingrained in Ireland, can't help but think they took a few pages out of the Albionic playbook and blended a bit of Celtic Revival into their interpretations of the bible
My favorite part about the Albionic Church is that honestly, if Washington, D.C. was buried by an avalanche and rediscovered by archaeologists millennia from now, a lot of the core Albionic beliefs could probably be pulled from misunderstanding the monuments and murals of the National Mall. Take a walk around Capitol Hill, through the Smithsonian, past dozens of statues and memorials, drain your brain of any form of knowledge of American history, and you would just have to think that these grand marble titans in the forms of Washington and Jefferson and Lincoln and MLK were gods or kings. The interior of the Capitol Building Rotunda depicts George Washington ascending to a seat of honor alongside the Greek gods, for Pete's sake.

The Albionic Church is born from my own interest in what is called "American civil religion" and the cults of personality that surround deified individuals like the Founders or Lincoln or Teddy Roosevelt, which has been contorted and fused with my eleven years of Catholic schooling to create that theological abomination.

So, what would you guys like to see first? I'm currently working on a post about the monarchs of the UEC, and have plans to cover the Prime Ministers of the United Kingdom of America (the UEC's predecessor) and the Presidential Triumvirates of the UEC soon after, but I'm always up for suggestions or wants!

So, what would you guys like to see first? I'm currently working on a post about the monarchs of the UEC, and have plans to cover the Prime Ministers of the United Kingdom of America (the UEC's predecessor) and the Presidential Triumvirates of the UEC soon after, but I'm always up for suggestions or wants!
It might be interesting to see what kind of folk legends exist in this world.

This is really specific, but I'd be interested in seeing some stuff about Christianity in Columbia, or at least what's left of it.

Last edited:
As mentioned earlier, would be interested in seeing what the other nations are like, even if it’s just snippets and tastes. An example might be the member of a military Security Council or trade bloc with the head of state and full nation of the name. Are counties like France, Germany, Russia, etc was weird as the UEC.

Aside from that, internal national politics is always a good choice. What are the different states/provinces/city-states/etc like? Who are the main political parties and their platforms? politicians of not from the past if present?

I mean the 19th century style Imperialism is bad but honestly I've seen much worse (such as the AFC from What Madness is This who instantly come to mind as the UKA's antithesis). The Church in the UKA at least seems to be making an active effort to accept minorities with the Acceptance Movement (something which if they were that bad, would never be happening in the first place) and does actually provide for the people by being a healthcare provider.

Like I said, could be much worse.

I'm more into how popular culture looks which depending on the tech level you're going with would mean a look at what genres of film, music, television, video games, etc are popular or perhaps even banned by the Church/UKA. But I'm all for whatever you choose to show off next.