Not Another Doctor Who Timeline ...

The Seventh Doctor

big_school_baron_2_large.jpg

Frances De La Tour
(1988 to 1991)

Although the BBC had been keen to sign Andrew Sachs as the Seventh Doctor, the leftfield suggestion from Sydney Newman, who had been significant in the development of Doctor Who in the sixties, of Joanna Lumley, Frances De La Tour or Dawn French had fired the imagination of the shows creative team and furtive contact with Frances De La Tour and her management team showed she was both interested and willing to sign a multi-year contract, though lowered to three years from McCoy's four season agreement.

1988 would see both the 25th Season and 25th Anniversary of the show and it was decided that the final serial of the season would be a multi Doctor tale, as had been done in 1973 for "The Three Doctors" and 1983 for "The Five Doctors". What would be notable would be that the Seventh Doctor would debut here and the events of the story would lead up to the Sixth Doctors regeneration in January 1989 before Season 26 began airing later that year.

The Seventh Doctor would be reminiscent of the Fourth Doctor - both whimsical and righteous in her anger. Whilst Frances De La Tour would cite Gertrude Stein and Amelia Earheart as her own inspirations, the production team would take the Earheart reference as a template for the Seventh Doctors outfit - and model her look on a thirties pilot ...

ExtraordinaryWomen_AmeliaEarhart4_t800.jpg

Appearing in "The Seven Doctors" from an undefined period in her timeline, the Doctor began travelling with Kate Turner (Julia Sawalha) from "Heist of the Daleks", the first serial of Season 26. The Seventh Doctor had, unintentionally, no long term companion with Kate departing and being replaced by Alf Harkness (Kate Winslet) in the final serial of Season 26. Alf, a teenage runaway, would then depart in the first serial of Season 28 in 1991 wherein she was replaced by student Amanda Grey (Nicola Walker) for her final season including the final story, "Legend of the Master" which saw both the debut of a new version of the Doctors nemesis, the Master (absent since 1984), as well as the debut of the Eighth Doctor.

The casting of the Eighth Doctor was disguised by the casting of the new Master, with actors being considered for both reading the same audition sides describing the role as The Master. Tony Robinson, until then best known for his comic roles, was trumpeted by the press as "a new face for a familiar character" in a deliberate red herring from the BBC. He would, in fact, be the new version of The Master which meant that when the Eighth Doctor debuted in 1991 with Amanda watching on, the casting of the new incarnation came as largely a surprise to those outside of Doctor Who fan circles ...

She should have had Robbie Coltrane as her companion. It would have been a magical experience with a giant impact.

Now of course that I'm posting this joke, I'm curious if Frances would have gotten a more important role in the Harry Potter movies had she been cast as the Doctor. McGonagall perhaps?

Now of course that I'm posting this joke, I'm curious if Frances would have gotten a more important role in the Harry Potter movies had she been cast as the Doctor. McGonagall perhaps?

An idea I had was that Harry Potter would fail to reach the heights it did IOTL, leading Rowling to curtail the series early. She would end up writing for Doctor Who and become a lead writer and joint showrunner during the Horrocks Era.

The Thirteenth Doctor
The Thirteenth Doctor

taika-waititi-green-lantern.jpg

Taika Waititi
(2017 to 2019)

A marked contrast to the rugged handsomeness of Raza Jaffrey's Twelfth Doctor, the Thirteenth Doctor's "charismatic geek cool" was reminiscent of the otherworldlyness of both Tom Bakers Fourth and Jane Horrocks' Tenth Doctors. An unexpected casting choice much like the casting of Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa almost twenty years prior, producers had made a concerted effort to look internationally for candidates for the new incarnation of the Doctor - and they found him in a comedian and director from New Zealand.

The series format retained the four specials per year format of the Twelfth Doctors tenure, and saw some international filming with the BBC comitted to filming one special per year in New Zealand. Whilst Waititi was cast as the Doctor, and the Twelfth Doctor regenerated at the end of the final 2016 special, the Thirteenth Doctor was not unveiled until the end of the first 2017 special, in its now traditional Easter Sunday spot. This opening episode, and the regeneration at the end of the previous episode, saw Ian McDiarmid as a version of the Valeyard, last seen facing the Sixth Doctor, attempting to hijack the Doctors timestream and incarnations, it was only by the support of the Doctors friends that the plot was thwarted and the regeneration completed.

Zawe Ashton's Rebecca appeared in this opening story and the second of 2017, then being replaced by Sylvie Briggs as Ada Lovelace for several episodes - the first time that a historical figure would become a permanent companion, this would become a fixture of the Thirteenth Doctors adventures, as he would be subsequently joined by Aurora Marion as Noor Inayat Khan, and American actress Hillary Swank as Amelia Earheart. After facing the Valeyard in his first year, he would face the Cybermen in his second, and both the Daleks and the Master in his final season. It would be his oldest foe that would see the Doctor regenerate into his fourteenth incarnation ...

(am struggling to write the segments at the moment, so this may get fleshed out further)

Taika Waititi - An interesting choice. I quite like what I have seen of his work as a director/writer ("Hunt for the Wilder People", "Jo-Jo Rabbit" and "The Mandalorian"). However, he is a Kiwi not an Aussie. *SIGH*

Taika Waititi - An interesting choice. I quite like what I have seen of his work as a director/writer ("Hunt for the Wilder People", "Jo-Jo Rabbit" and "The Mandalorian"). However, he is a Kiwi not an Aussie. *SIGH*

Is it just me, or is anyone else here getting a David Tennant vibe from that photo of Taika with glasses on?

The Fourteenth Doctor
The Fourteenth Doctor

AN80864339Rebecca Root star.jpg

Rebecca Root
(2019 to Present)

Trans actress, former sitcom star and stand up comedienne Rebecca Root was announced as the Fourteenth Doctor in August 2019, but debuted at Christmas 2019 when Taika Waititi regenerated after the Thirteenth Doctor was fatally wounded by the Daleks. Following the announcement of the casting selection by incoming showrunner Ryan Murphy, there was some questions raised in the press, but overall the reaction had been positive to the casting.

Although her costume is unknown, she is speculated to be wearing the white blouse, waistcoat and scarf that she wore in the press photo of her announcement.

Her debut story - The Lone Cyberman - is due to air at Easter 2020 and is expected to mark the departure of long term companion Ada Lovelace, and the debut of new companions Jake (Warren Brown) and Gabriela (Joana Borja).