Northern Constitutional Unionists

While working on my most recent TL, A House Divided Against Itself, I have discovered quite the number of Constitutional Unionists. The majority of them are, perhaps unsurprisingly, from the Southern or slaveholding border states. This is not to say that I haven't found any from the North, but I'm interest if you guys know anymore. Here are some of the ones I found:
  • Edward Everett
  • Robert C. Winthrop
  • Benjamin R. Curtis
  • Amos A. Lawrence
  • William Appleton
  • Marshall P. Wilder
  • Samuel Hooper?
  • Truman Smith?
  • Washington Hunt
  • Francis Granger
  • William Duer
  • Daniel D. Barnard
  • Robert E. Bonner
  • James Brooks
  • John T. Stuart
  • Richard W. Thompson

Last edited:
While working on my most recent TL, A House Divided Against Itself, I have discovered quite the number of Constitutional Unionists. The majority of them are, perhaps unsurprisingly, from the Southern or slaveholding border states. This is not to say that I haven't found any from the North, but I'm interest if you guys know anymore. Here are some of the ones I found:
  • Edward Everett
  • Robert C. Winthrop
  • William Appleton
  • Samuel Hooper?
  • Truman Smith?
  • Washington Hunt
  • Francis Granger
  • John T. Stuart
  • Richard W. Thompson
A few months ago I was able to find a copy of the letter creating the Constitutional Union Party in an Indiana (?) newspaper archive, it included quite a few free state signatories, but I'm coming across dead ends trying to find it once more, if I am able to find it, I'll post it here.

The few that come to mind off the top of my head though: Lewis Condict (RI), Jacob Broom (PA), and Henry M. Fuller (PA).

Last edited:
Update: I found two copies of it in other newspaper archives;

New York Times: (I lack a subscription, but this seems to be it)

The Vicksburg Whig via Newspapers.com:

Northerners included who one of us hasn't mentioned yet:

Henry Y. Cranston (RI)

John A. Rockwell (CT)

John Wheeler (VT)

Marshall P. Wilder (MA)

Joseph N. Snyder (OH)

John Dunham (CT)

C.C. Lathrop (PA)

George Briggs (NY)

William L. Toole (IA)

John Willson (IL)

E.J. Whitlock (NY)

Also, someone not on the list but who also supported the party, specifically the nomination of Sam Houston according to a paper I read on him, was former Whig newspaper editor Erastus Brooks (NY).

A few months ago I was able to find a copy of the letter creating the Constitutional Union Party in an Indiana (?) newspaper archive, it included quite a few free state signatories, but I'm coming across dead ends trying to find it once more, if I am able to find it, I'll post it here.

The few that come to mind off the top of my head though: Lewis Condict (RI), Jacob Broom (PA), and Henry M. Fuller (PA).
Update: I found two copies of it in other newspaper archives;

New York Times: (I lack a subscription, but this seems to be it)

The Vicksburg Whig via Newspapers.com:

Northerners included who one of us hasn't mentioned yet:

Henry Y. Cranston (RI)

John A. Rockwell (CT)

John Wheeler (VT)

Marshall P. Wilder (MA)

Joseph N. Snyder (OH)

John Dunham (CT)

C.C. Lathrop (PA)

George Briggs (NY)

William L. Toole (IA)

John Willson (IL)

E.J. Whitlock (NY)

Also, someone not on the list but who also supported the party, specifically the nomination of Sam Houston according to a paper I read on him, was former Whig newspaper editor Erastus Brooks (NY).
Thank you so much for all this info! Once again, you show off your knack for finding this kind of stuff. All have to look through them all and see who I can find some more information on.