Noravea's Big Map and Flag Emporium

Is South Jersey actually independent, or a protectorate of New York?

It's a protectorate of New York. The President of South Jersey is mostly appointed by the President of New York up until 2010, when it held its first independent Presidential election. Still though, it is under New York military protection and is considered to be in their sphere of influence.

Vermont is also a protectorate, but New York doesn't nearly have enough influence as it does in South Jersey. Vermont is largely independent of New York politics, but New York's armed forces defend Vermont from foreign attack. Vermont does have militias though for when New York isn't around to help them.

Here is some currency from my Mother of Exiles timeline I have planned. New York's 15th President, Nelson A. Rockefeller, who served as President from 1957 to 1965.

NewYorkTenDollars_zps3047eded.png

It's a protectorate of New York. The President of South Jersey is mostly appointed by the President of New York up until 2010, when it held its first independent Presidential election. Still though, it is under New York military protection and is considered to be in their sphere of influence.

Vermont is also a protectorate, but New York doesn't nearly have enough influence as it does in South Jersey. Vermont is largely independent of New York politics, but New York's armed forces defend Vermont from foreign attack. Vermont does have militias though for when New York isn't around to help them.

Ah, makes sense. It just seemed too small to be fully independent. Also, loving the banknote: we should make an alternate currency thread. :D

The newest piece of currency. The Five Dollar banknote of the Republic of New York. It depicts the 11th President of New York, Franklin Delano Roosevelt. He was President from March 1937 to April 1945, and guided New York through the Second Great War and built up the modern New York Armed Forces.

NewYorkFiveDollars_zpsc15f29bc.png

Great, what is the sign for the New York currency? (I mean like this $ or this £)

New York is a member of the Atlantic Union, and they all have a common currency called the Atlantic Dollar. Each country gets their own series and color (New York is a light blue, New England is a brownish-pink, Vermont is Green, etc.), choosing their own designs. The symbol for the Atlantic Dollar is simply AD$, however, each country has their own sign. For New York, it is NY$. I am working on a unique symbol for it though.

Each currency does have its own nickname. While "Bucks" and "Dollars" are common, other terms are used as well.

For example, if someone wants thirty dollars in ten dollar bill increments, they'd say "Give me three Rockys". If someone wants fifteen dollars in five dollar bill increments, they'd say "Give me three Franklins."

New York entered the Atlantic Union in 2011, so this is its most modern currency. It is also the most powerful economy in the Atlantic Union (New York is to the Atlantic Union what Germany is to the European Union). The current major increments for the NY$ are the 1 dollar, 2 dollar, 5 dollar, 10 dollar, 20 dollar, 50 dollar, and 100 dollar bills.