Nobunaga’s Ambition Realized: Dawn of a New Rising Sun

Japanese is in like the top three hardest languages to learn. Unless the foreign minister pushes for a standardized simplified southeast Asian Creole-dialect for Japanese immigrants communities I don’t think it will become a lingua franca.
Most of the "top X hardest languages" are from the perspective of English native speakers.
Japanese is actually easier for Europeans and Americans than most of the Asian languages because it doesn't have tones.

But is it true for speakers of Asian languages too?
Likely not.
However I can totally see some sort of a Bahasa Melayu-Japanese creole emerging <3

The other colonies are generally the same ITTL if that helps.
I love this, but sad to say but with the survival of the Vasa bloodline for at least a bit longer Charles XII of Sweden is butterflied out of existence.
Good, Charles XII destroyed the empire that his ancestors struggled to build for nearly two centuries, he emptied the treasure, he refused mutiple offers of peace that would've allowed him to focus on one enemy at the time because he thought he could win the Decisive Victory (™) and he died a stupid preventable death in the battlefield.

By the end of his reign, Sweden lost everything that wasn't the country itself and Finland (the latter only because Peter the Great was too cautious and shy), was in it's weakest position so far, it's army would never be as powerful again and any ambitions of it being a Great or even Local power were evaporated because Charles never knew when to quit even when he was losing badly.

Japanese is in like the top three hardest languages to learn. Unless the foreign minister pushes for a standardized simplified southeast Asian Creole-dialect for Japanese immigrants communities I don’t think it will become a lingua franca.
I often forget this fact myself as a native Japanese speaker lol.
We can see that the rise of Japan is affecting China, it is likely to grow stronger sooner. But is the emissary to the Mughal Court and the stronger interaction of the Mughals to the Eastern Civilizations causing butterflies in the Mughal Court, in particular on the importance of overseas voyage?

Are the Japanese merchants likely to take on a share of the Indian trade to Europe?
Not yet really, Mughal India IOTL had more constant relations with European powers who actually occupied forts and ports on the subcontinent so I think compared to Ming China’s greater interactions with Japan, Japan’s interactions with the Mughals is of little change.

As to the latter, nothing like that can happen unless Japanese merchants actually start regularly sailing to Europe which hasn’t happened.
Good, Charles XII destroyed the empire that his ancestors struggled to build for nearly two centuries, he emptied the treasure, he refused mutiple offers of peace that would've allowed him to focus on one enemy at the time because he thought he could win the Decisive Victory (™) and he died a stupid preventable death in the battlefield.

By the end of his reign, Sweden lost everything that wasn't the country itself and Finland (the latter only because Peter the Great was too cautious and shy), was in it's weakest position so far, it's army would never be as powerful again and any ambitions of it being a Great or even Local power were evaporated because Charles never knew when to quit even when he was losing badly.
Fair assessment tbh.

Most of the "top X hardest languages" are from the perspective of English native speakers.
Japanese is actually easier for Europeans and Americans than most of the Asian languages because it doesn't have tones.
That's true, but learning how to write hiragana, kanji and katakana is a bit of a pain, so I think kana only scripts with spacing and punctuation would be used (Latin was written without spacing and punctuation for some time in otl, which is called scriptio continua), and a bunch of Japanese and Austronesian pidgins and creoles probably would written in a mix of Kana, Arabic and Latin scripts. I think the creoles probably would be quite widespread in SEA ittl.
I often forget this fact myself as a native Japanese speaker lol.
Tbf I think a kana only script is doable if you add spacing and punctuation, even if it'd piss off the nobles, and considering the fact that kana only books were written for a while it's defo feasible. It'd also streamline the language well and be a good way to teach peasants how to write and prob be used more by the merchant classes too.
As to the latter, nothing like that can happen unless Japanese merchants actually start regularly sailing to Europe which hasn’t happened.
Hmm that is true... Would Japan go to America and cascadia for the fur tho?

Last edited:
Are the Japanese merchants likely to take on a share of the Indian trade to Europe?
Maybe If the Japanese can gain the right to trade via The Ottoman Empire to avoid The circumvention of Africa
I know Japanese is one of the hardest languages to learn for English speakers. But is it true for speakers of Asian languages too?
Unlike Korean, Vietnamese, Tai, Burmese, and even Japanese, Austronesian languages and scrips in south east Asia were influenced more by India then China. So south east Asia will probably just use a local language, a European language, or Chinese as a lingua Franka.
Hmm that is true... Would Japan go to America and cascadia for the fur tho?
Unless the Japanese start settling Alaska to challenge Russia expansion They might end up going to Alaska for fishing and lumber first rather then fur.

Unlike Korean, Vietnamese, Tai, Burmese, and even Japanese, Austronesian languages and scrips in south east Asia were influenced more by India then China. So south east Asia will probably just use a local language, a European language, or Chinese as a lingua Franka.
Tbf I think it depends on who's the main power in which region. In the Dutch regions I think Dutch and Dutch related pidgins would be the lingua Franca, while in Japanese controlled regions Japanese, Chinese and austro-japanoic-chinese pidgins would be most popular (imagine the lingustic mix in Japanese Luzon ittl).
Unless the Japanese start settling Alaska to challenge Russia expansion They might end up going to Alaska for fishing and lumber first rather then fur.
Hm I think karafuto and the far East/Siberia would fill that role, although I'd think the fish that could be harvested off Alaska defo would encourage the Japanese to go and settle there. Imagine salmon sushi actually being Japanese invention, especially if they catch them before they return to spawn.

Tbf I think a kana only script is doable if you add spacing and punctuation, even if it'd piss off the nobles, and considering the fact that kana only books were written for a while it's defo feasible. It'd also streamline the language well and be a good way to teach peasants how to write and prob be used more by the merchant classes too.
Honestly tho I don’t think simplification of the script would be necessary considering the proliferation of terakoya IOTL and how successful they were at boosting the literacy of commoners.
Imagine salmon sushi actually being Japanese invention, especially if they catch them before they return to spawn.
Haha lol, a preference for salmon sushi is considered a foreigner-like taste in Japan in modern times. Oh so how different things would be if that happens.

That's true, but learning how to write hiragana, kanji and katakana is a bit of a pain,
According to Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kana hiragana and katakana as we know them only appeared in the 1900s...
Katakana does have a space character (you might have seen it in between last and first name of a foreign person on Japanese wiki), and they also have a dot character, too

Honestly tho I don’t think simplification of the script would be necessary considering the proliferation of terakoya IOTL and how successful they were at boosting the literacy of commoners.
Hmm that is very true. However, kana only scripts with spacing and punctuation would still serve the merchants well as a short hand for when they have to write down a lot of stuff or for personal writings (much like how Arabic numerals became widespread in Europe because they were better for calculations) while a kanji kana mix for official documents and the such could very well be the norm for a while before one side becomes more accepted.

Fully kana scripts would also be used for translating how certain sounds sound like in other languages like Chinese (Taiwanese has a kana script version) and I can see it be used to encode Austronesian languages.

Also tbf I just don't like Chinese characters lmao, life was hell because I had to write in Chinese as it's a required subject (yes I'm Chinese).
Haha lol, a preference for salmon sushi is considered a foreigner-like taste in Japan in modern times. Oh so how different things would be if that happens.
Yeah how the turn tables lmao. It'd be funny if this is the case ittl, which is why I talked about it. It is quite funny if that's the case tho.
Russia is already expanding in Siberia with no Qing in there way, Japan might get the Kamchatka Peninsula But I don’t think they could muscle Russia out of eastern Siberia.
Yeah they won't, I think most of the lands north of Manchuria would be Russian ittl. The Japanese can still trade with the Russians for lumber tho.
According to Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kana hiragana and katakana as we know them only appeared in the 1900s...
The tale of genji, which was fully written in hiragana, was written in the early 11th century. In 1900 there was a spelling reform which streamlined the Kana scripts and a bunch of hentaigana were created.
Katakana does have a space character (you might have seen it in between last and first name of a foreign person on Japanese wiki), and they also have a dot character, too
Yeah, they don't really use it to differentiate words, which is what I'm thinking of in this case, and would negate the need for kanji which would be useful when it's used as short hand.

Kanji is a lot more simple than traditional Mandarin...
yeah I understand. It's more that I could see a different evolution of Japanese language due to European contact as the main reason of using Kanji, that is the lack of punctuation makes differentiating words hard to do, can be solved by other means. Sticking with the kanji-kana system is defo possible but a change back to a Kana only system is definitely interesting and something I would like to see.

yeah I understand. It's more that I could see a different evolution of Japanese language due to European contact as the main reason of using Kanji, that is the lack of punctuation makes differentiating words hard to do, can be solved by other means. Sticking with the kanji-kana system is defo possible but a change back to a Kana only system is definitely interesting and something I would like to see.
I meant versus Mandarin as the dominant Asian language; the latter may or may not be easier to say, but non-Simplified is a pain in the donkey to write.

Russia is already expanding in Siberia with no Qing in there way, Japan might get the Kamchatka Peninsula But I don’t think they could muscle Russia out of eastern Siberia.
If they actually wanted to, Japan could. They have by far the advantage before the Trans-Siberian. Like Irkutsk hasn't even been properly founded and developed yet.

If they actually wanted to, Japan could. They have by far the advantage before the Trans-Siberian. Like Irkutsk hasn't even been properly founded and developed yet.
Sure if they threw there man power, wealth, and focus north right now they would cream the Russians but why would the Japanese do so. By the time the Oda, Yuan, or Chosen take action the Russians would probably have turned the Amur river basin into a self-sufficient populated stronghold. orthodox Jurchen cossacks fighting there old enemies under the Russian flag would be a potent force.

Last edited:
Sure if they threw there man power, wealth, and focus north right now they would cream the Russians but why would the Japanese do so. By the time the Oda, Yuan, or Chosen take action the Russians would probably have turned the Amur river basin into a self-sufficient populated stronghold. orthodox Jurchen cossacks fighting there old enemies under the Russian flag would be a potent force.
Oh I don't disagree, I'm was just disagreeing with your earlier statement that Japan could not do it. Not on if they would.

That is more complex. I don't think they'll take the whole Sea of Okhotsk anymore but Kamchatka, Chishima, Sakhalin, and maybe some along the main north coast are definites tho. Furs are a hell of an incentive.

Don’t forget that after the Ming-Yuan-Chosenalliance defeated the Jin, The Amur river valley would be wide open. If the Russians settle the region and/or converts the locals that would be a major populated strong hold in the area that would produce soldiers, settlers, bureaucrats, and supplies for Russian expansion.

Japan will have to fight skirmishes and wars to secure its dominance in the north and force the Russians to accept that there will be no warm water ports for them.

just to be sure we are on the same page but I am not talking about historical minorities from China that immigrated south like the Tai peoples that make up Thailand and Laos or Sino-Tibetan speaking peoples of Burma.

I am talking about the Han Chinese (and to a lesser extent the Hakka Chinese) that would have gone on to immigrate to the the Malay peninsula, Sumatra, Borneo, and Philippines during the 18th and 19th centuries when the Qing ruled China and the Europeans dominated South East Asia.

It’s been mentioned already that the Japanese already have a policy of maintaining close ties with the immigrant-merchant quarters that have sprung up all over south east Asia.
Joseon had already reached tributaries of the Amur River in its expansion in 1636. An open, modernizing, and expanding Josean would have the best prospects for conquering or controlling the Amur River watershed.

Joseon had already reached tributaries of the Amur River in its expansion in 1636. An open, modernizing, and expanding Josean would have the best prospects for conquering or controlling the Amur River watershed.
1685491375853.png

I don’t think Chosen will go further north or east then the Songhua and Ussuri river

View attachment 834868
I don’t think Chosen will go further north or east then the Songhua and Ussuri river
Considering that the Joseon would be a lot closer to the Amur basin and could throw a lot more settlers and armies into the Amur Basin and make it part of the heartlands of the Joseon they just would have to fight the Russians to establish control. Whether or not they would fight the Russians is another matter, but the fur trade (which the Chinese participated in) would be a great source of wealth and be an incentive to go there (there should be beavers around there, same with Kamchatka). Ppl don't remember that Russian control over the Far East was very precarious at this point in time because of its remoteness (the two ways to go to the far East was to ride on a horse from the Urals to the far East or to get on a boat and sail from one of the Russian ports in Europe, which is Arkanglsk only at this point in time).

The fact that the Ming aren't the Qing also doesn't mean they won't come to the defense of the Korchin Mongols if the Russians try to fight them. It'd invalidate the client system China's running if they don't defend any of their vassals from attacks from foreign powers, and if they don't someone else like the Joseon will to gain more control over the area. I don't think the Russians will get anywhere beyond the Amur for now.

Last edited: