Nobunaga’s Ambition Realized: Dawn of a New Rising Sun

though I have to wonder, will they foray further in other countries, maybe in Africa or even the New World?
Depends on how they'll formulate their geopolitical strategy for the immediate future; at the very least, they need to Finlandise what is left of the Spanish Philippines for them to be left totally unfettered in conducting expeditions beyond Luzon.

Their monetary policy is also something to be considered; have Japan become interested in trading with French livres — alongside intensifying the gold and silver trade with China — they will try intensify the extraction of gold from their territory. The question is: what will they use the French money for? I can only think of leveraging favour with the cash-strapped Iberian powers with it, alongside the other European powers to a lesser extent. The Japanese were never the most greedy with precious metals after all (they were more concerned in suppressing the warmaking ability of the economic activity of their domains).

Also — like in Thailand — they may also get more interested in transplanting clans as distinct entities that still maintain contact with the motherland, especially if the region is already too established as a kingdom to abolish it in favour of a province.

Last edited:
I really love the direction both Japan and Korea are taking, and the fact Japan's becoming friends with the French is even better. So much better than the horrible British sometimes.

Although I have to wonder, will they foray further in other countries, maybe in Africa or even the New World?
If Japan wants to send more embassies to Europe, they have to sail around Africa or go through Cairo so some sort of interest in the continent is inevitable. Idk about the New World just yet.
Depends on how they'll formulate their geopolitical strategy for the immediate future; at the very least, they need to Finlandise what is left of the Spanish Philippines for them to be left totally unfettered in conducting expeditions beyond Luzon.

Their monetary policy is also something to be considered; have Japan become interested ij trading with French livres — alongside intensifying the gold and silver trade with China — they will try intensify the extraction of gold from their territory. The question is: what will they use the French money for? I can only think of leveraging favour with the cash-strapped Iberian powers with it, alongside the other European powers to a lesser extent. The Japanese were never the most greedy with precious metals after all (they were more concerned in suppressing the warmaking ability of the economic activity of their domains).

Also — like in Thailand — they may also get more interested in transplanting clans as distinct entities that still maintain contact with the motherland, especially if the region is already too established as a kingdom to abolish it in favour of a province.
The thing with Siam is that the Honjo clan left the home islands because they became ronin after Uesugi Kagekatsu was defeated in 1582 and essentially became elite mercenaries that happened to stick around long enough in Ayutthaya to attain institutional power and influence within the kingdom. Even though the Honjo clan is partial to Japanese interests in some ways, politically they’re still anti-Oda at heart and decades being away from the home islands also strengthens their loyalties to their new home. Additionally, after the ban of Catholicism in 1632, many Japanese Catholics have fled to Ayutthaya, so if anything at this point the Nihonmachi at Ayutthaya harbors strong anti-Oda sentiments and don’t exactly present the most ideal example on how a clan can establish itself elsewhere and project Japanese influence for Japan on its own, and that may affect things.

Will there be Resurgence of Mahayana in Siam?

Any changes in case of buddhism in Korea and China? Is Korea using anti Christianity policy as well?

I am wondering will we see Buddhist missionaries in south India? And changes in religious makeup in india?

For Japan to go to the New World they require either Hawaii or Alaska first at the very least and neither of those seem to be happening very soon even if I’m heavily rooting for them to.

I'd like to see what's the Ottoman's thoughts on Japan since we've helped Maguindanao Sultanate and beaten the Iberian nations.
The Ottomans are generally favorable towards the Japanese for similar reasons but haven't taken any major steps due to being embroiled in war with Safavid Persia in the 1630s and not really interested in antagonizing the Habsburgs or any European powers. Also, the Japanese backed the Maguindanao Sultanate for purely geopolitical purposes and not even out of any religious reasons to begin with. I mean even the Habsburgs attempted to form an alliance with the Safavids in the early 16th century despite claiming war against Ottomans on the grounds of religious fervor and crusade.
Will there be Resurgence of Mahayana in Siam?

Any changes in case of buddhism in Korea and China? Is Korea using anti Christianity policy as well?

I am wondering will we see Buddhist missionaries in south India? And changes in religious makeup in india?
There haven't been any major religious shifts in the rest of Asia. And yeah Joseon like IOTL is hardcore anti-Christianity in a way Japan is not ITTL.

The Ottomans are generally favorable towards the Japanese for similar reasons but haven't taken any major steps due to being embroiled in war with Safavid Persia in the 1630s and not really interested in antagonizing the Habsburgs or any European powers. Also, the Japanese backed the Maguindanao Sultanate for purely geopolitical purposes and not even out of any religious reasons to begin with. I mean even the Habsburgs attempted to form an alliance with the Safavids in the early 16th century despite claiming war against Ottomans on the grounds of religious fervor and crusade.
Ah ok, I believe that once the war is over and the Ottomans getting the rest of Iraq, they may send representatives. Makes sense why Japan did that but I do wonder what's their thoughts on Islam...?

Makes sense why Japan did that but I do wonder what's their thoughts on Islam...?
I doubt that they'll like it too much, let alone it thriving within the home islands, considering that it poses a more persistent challenge to the Emperor's divinity and prestige than Christianity does.

Last edited:
I doubt that they'll like it too much, let alone it thriving within the home islands, considering that it posed a more persistent challenge to the Emperor's divinity and prestige than Christianity ever did.
True but wouldn't surprise me if their colonies (at least the ones that'll eventually be too far from the home islands) gets a at least a few change religion.

True but wouldn't surprise me if their colonies (at least the ones that'll eventually be too far from the home islands) gets a at least a few change religion.
Bireitou does have an absence of Shinto so that kinda leaves a niche open. Ofc animism, Buddhism, Daoism, and Yamato Christianity are around.

Last edited:
I could see some ideas from Islam become it's own version like Yamato Christianity in their colonies.
tbf I think the Islam in the colonies would be highly syncretic with a lot of native religious influences due to the lack of Muslims from India and the ME spreading less and less syncretic versions of christianity.

Ambassader, I really like the Japanese going off to Europe! Having them come over is really cool, and I can see depictions of China be heavily influenced by the Japanese entourage, and I could see it spawning a genre of books derived from the fascination of Europe in Asia!

On the houses I think they won't really switch to stone because Japanese houses were built that way to lessen problems especially with earthquakes and the such. I think having the foundations and the support structures be made of stone to reinforce the house while wood and paper would separate the rooms makes a lot of sense instead of full stone houses.

I'd also like to see what Japanese Embassies to the Ottomans or Safavids would look like.
I'm not sure how exactly it will go yet but the exchange with the Ottomans will happen first due to them being a fellow Habsburg opponent, a nominal French ally, and an overlord of the Aceh Sultanate. Also being able to pass through Cairo and the Red Sea rather than going around Africa to go to Europe would be a huge benefit.

I can't help but wonder how different the 1800s will be in this timeline.
Very. Though to be quite honest, I haven't figured out an end date for the TL and it's gonna be a veeery long time before it gets to the year 1700. It'll go into the 18th century but not sure whether it'll make it to the 19th century.

Very. Though to be quite honest, I haven't figured out an end date for the TL and it's gonna be a veeery long time before it gets to the year 1700. It'll go into the 18th century but not sure whether it'll make it to the 19th century.
Noted, but it will have an epilogue to show it's standing on the present day?

Chapter 66: The Kanei Reforms

Chapter 66: The Kanei Reforms

In September 1639, Oda Nobutomo summoned the various daimyo lords and their representatives to Azuchi Castle in an unprecedented grand meeting. In this moment, the chancellor of the realm would lay down governmental edicts that would forever change the nature of the Japanese state. Although the Furuwatari War was partially triggered by the economic and political burdens of the Iberian-Japanese War many had endured as well as the last vestiges of a bygone political usurpation, its roots lay in the flawed structure of the Oda administration. While for the 4th generation, the Oda lords had imposed their will upon the rising sun through the authority of the highest imperial position, much of the political institutions and bureaucracy of the Azuchi daijo-fu lay outside the imperial sphere and instead were elaborations of samurai and feudal-based systems and hierarchies molded into one central government. Although perfectly held together at first glance, changing circumstances exposed its weaknesses and inflexibility, including the structural favoritism and overrepresentation of fudai, or hereditary vassals, in central politics. The Kamakura-fu led by the Kamakura Tandais was perhaps the biggest aberration, ultimately proving to be Oda Nobunaga’s band-aid of convenience rather than a long-term solution. Realizing all this, Nobutomo strived to change this.

In advance of his many edicts, the daijo-daijin would sort out the rule within his own house. Nobutomo established that only those from a male line traced back to his grandfather Oda Nobutada could succeed as head of the Oda clan and inherit the positions of daijo-daijin, additionally excluding those becoming part of lines of nobility. This established the order of succession as follows:

-Oda Nobutsugu (織田信嗣, b.1622), heir-apparent and lord of Gifu Castle
-Kanbe Tomoyoshi (神戸朝吉, b. 1605), governor of Luson province
-Kanbe Toomaru (神戸遠丸, b. 1635)
-Oda Tomoaki (織田朝昭, b. 1608)
-Oda Yukimatsu (織田幸松, b. 1640)​

u52xsxOUl3s4eKU7hf_RGpM4rE22KZCIxhigHii1kgadEBKbuOPt3IUQx3rnNEyVrVpUsxdQygRvHhlpoM8j55FGaaYMX41mr2FsIps68ub6zLMWaOTBHHJW9KjwUr9GfgnjFdjCQ4zHtmaW7keGzgQ

Additionally, Nobutomo would decree that only those in the line of succession could use the surname “Oda”, which led to the change of names by multiple cadet branches of the greater Oda clan. The changes were as follows:

-Line of Oda Nobukane - Kudō clan (工藤氏)
-Line of Oda Nagamasu - Urakusai clan (有楽斎氏) [1]
-Line of Oda Nagatoshi- Musashino clan (武蔵野氏)
-Line of Oda Nobuhide the Younger- Wakamatsu clan (若松氏)
-Line of Oda Nobutaka- Tarui clan (垂井氏) [2]

When the day of the great meeting finally came, Nobutomo decreed a series of reforms with the goal of strengthening the central government in Azuchi and rectifying the flaws of the status quo. He first formally abolished the distinction between fudai and tozama vassals, placing all daimyo and minor lords on the same level on paper and allowing tozama samurai to potentially be appointed to administrative positions in the Azuchi daijo-fu. In return, a system of long-term taxation would be imposed upon all daimyo, albeit at low rates. Granted, it came with the promise of direct investment of Azuchi revenue back into their lands but the daimyos’ autonomy would nevertheless be reduced in favor of greater centralization. Finally, to quell dissent among unhappy samurai, he would establish a grand council of all the daimyo and lords as well as the court nobility called the Shinka-in (臣下院), of which he was the head of as the daijo-daijin. Its role was to be summoned by the daijo-daijin, imperial regent, or the emperor whenever a great matter of state necessitated broad opinion to be resolved with the body making the decisions. The stated goal was to give all samurai and nobility a greater say in the biggest political matters, although in practice it would often be used as a rubber stamp or method of coercion for decades to come since its activation was completely up to the discretion of the Oda clan. Nevertheless, it represented Japan’s first broad legislative body even if it really lacked de facto power and its existence would prove significant down the line.

Nobutomo also issued reforms to the military organization of the realm. Nobutomo would revive the various shogunal positions and establish the positions of Kyushu Tandai (九州探題) and Shikoku Tandai (四国探題) in order to centralize the mobilization and organization of the realm’s military. Above the new Tandai positions was the Seisei-shogun (征西将軍), or the western Shogun. The Seitou-shogun (征東将軍), or eastern shogun, was in charge of the Kanto and Chubu regions while the Chinjufu-shogun (鎮守府将軍) was in charge of the Oshu region and Ezo. Finally, at the very top was the position of Seii-tai-shogun (征夷大将軍), a position Oda Nobutomo himself would assume as the commander-in-chief of all of Japan. The new military hierarchy enabled Japan to mobilize for wars and respond to rebellions more quickly rather than always waiting for the daijo-daijin to appoint someone to gather the armies of various lords. Over time, this hierarchy would be utilized to facilitate the development of Japan’s first professional standing armies. From the outset of the reforms, Nobutomo would even establish a 1,000 strong elite cavalry unit called the Konoe cavalry (近衛騎馬隊), named after his late brother and composed of young nobles and retainers. The first appointees to the new military positions were the following:

Chinjufu shogun: Date Norimune (伊達則宗)
Eastern shogun: Tokugawa Tadayoshi (徳川忠康)
Western shogun: Kitabatake Takanaga (北畠高長)
Shikoku Tandai: Miyoshi Yasukata (三好康賢)
Kyushu Tandai: Shimazu Norihisa (島津則久)

He would also formally elevate the admiralty of the Azuchi Navy to a courtly title to be known as “Seisui-shogun” (征水将軍) rather than a magistracy, with naval magistrate Wakizaka Yasumoto becoming its first titleholder. This merely strengthened the status of an already well-organized central Japanese navy and gave it greater authority and precedence over other daimyo navies.​

QPQCpA7O6u73ynOfFK_h7Mf4uzue5IsCBmnfkYE1IKZ2K040QRFYY4w9UbopB_I6-fJe6cQ-f6as5XYenahaVViD7UdDt4antajVwipRQ1IW_X7--0vNb6tVDI_-vj74KLBiK-tjFz3OOggvqqL9zQk

Portrait of Wakizaka Yasumoto​

With regards to Japanese territories outside of the home islands, Nobutomo would incorporate Bireitō’s samurai into his reforms, with Zheng Zhilong becoming a member of the Shinka-in himself. However, the province of Luson would be excluded and be designated as a militarized frontier region too important to loosen central authority over in any shape or form. Additionally, the aboriginal tribes in Bireitō were largely left out of these reforms as well, even as much of their elite increasingly intermarried with the Japanese and became more culturally Japanese. This would plant the seeds of tension and feelings of sentiment from the aboriginal elite towards the non-native Japanese on the island.

The announcements of these political edicts came with some protest from among the minor fudai retainers of the Oda clan who made up the majority of the Azuchi bureaucracy and quiet whispers of concern from among some of the tozama daimyo clans over the autonomy from the central government they so cherished. Nevertheless, Nobutomo’s mandate of authority from the recent victory in the Furuwatari War, sheer will, and the delicate balance of interests established by the reforms ensured that these reforms would not be seriously challenged. To some extent, this was because formerly fudai-designated retainers continued to wield disproportionate influence through the bureaucracy and some favoritism towards them would linger on. Nobutomo, however, would begin to incorporate the court nobility to a greater degree in his government, increasing their numbers in the Sangi-shu. Over the next few years, he would also recognize various urban councils of merchants and craftsmen in the cities and towns Azuchi governed in an effort to incorporate them in the governance of the realm and secure their goodwill as supporters of the government. His efforts to solidify his authority would even extend to the imperial court itself, when in 1641 he forced Emperor Go-Mizunoo to retire and arranged the accession of his tenth son, Prince Teruhito (照仁親王), Nobutomo’s nephew via his sister Takahime , as Emperor Tensho (天正天皇). Through the new 16 year old emperor, the daijo-daijin would control all court affairs.​

G4wNboLROm7lo2JexGTc25McYal932ubJlqaAB76wOvUIUxz0FCGewsD7XVQIp9vKuGZJPDGTYEhm2RQhB4XvK3oqTCUiUzd2GvjESdcCvXC7BMjgHMXL2IvNtsK8sOGjIr8y7tbADbWPjxNilAa94A

Portrait of Emperor Tensho​

These edicts and reforms would come to be collectively known as the Kanei Reforms (寛永の改革) and would progress the Azuchi daijo-fu to an unprecedented stage of political centralization and integration of samurai affairs with the imperial court. They would prove to be so influential and significant that the modern political structure of Japan can be traced back to the norms and institutions set by Nobutomo in the early 1640s. The Kanei Reforms would also prove to be essential for Japan to recover from the financial and human costs of war that had been increasing over the past decade, a recovery that the daijo-daijin would focus on for the rest of the decade.

[1]: Named after Oda Nagamasu's Buddhist/tea master name.

[2]: Named after Tarui district in Gifu province that Oda Nobutaka was formerly granted.​

Last edited: