This is really good! May I ask why did you decide to change Entre Ríos into Entrerríos? Also is that a lower Misiones province?

This is really good! May I ask why did you decide to change Entre Ríos into Entrerríos? Also is that a lower Misiones province?

Thanks!

I guess it's for the sake of variety, at some early point during the 1800s that alternative spelling was adopted and it fixated that way, there's no specific reason.

Yes, Misiones Orientales is a province of Argentina, although with the former Misiones Occidentales in Paraguay it's simply called 'Misiones'.

United States presidential election, 1860
ddd53rq-5d17ed81-c4a7-46dc-be4c-017872e80648.png

upload_2019-11-30_13-27-53.png

Last edited:
United States presidential election, 1864
I'm trying to be original and at the same time not too implausible, but as you see things are beggining to get messy and 1868 will be interesting. We may need to go to Mexico for some context, though...

upload_2019-12-1_13-39-55.png

Last edited:
United States presidential election, 1868
And with this ends Antebellum US, and probably won't be new updates until January because of the beginning of the exam period.

upload_2019-12-19_11-38-49.png

Last edited:
Oh god it's finally happening.

Love this serie on the ACW, I'm also interested in its impact on Sonora/Texas/Bravine Republic.

Love the phrase "gradual emancipation without compensation!" I'd love "immediate emancipation" as a result of the war even better!

ooh I like this!

Senpai noticed me!

Oh god it's finally happening.

Love this serie on the ACW, I'm also interested in its impact on Sonora/Texas/Bravine Republic.

Thanks! Yes,I have finally made up my mind on how to steer this course.

I'm teared between going directly to the ACW, or covering first the Mexican turmoils and the birth of the Novohispanic republics; we'll see, as I said this is the "end of season", so to speak, now I have to focus on college exams, but I hope to come back in 2020 with many new content.

Love the phrase "gradual emancipation without compensation!" I'd love "immediate emancipation" as a result of the war even better

"Senator Johnson here argues that the loyal citizens of the States of Virginia, and Maryland, and any other such "slave state", that were not involved in the tresonous acts that began in 1868, being in possession of one or more slaves, should not be punished by the federal government. Those loyal citizens, he continues, would be treated no different from the insurgents that threatened to tear our Union apart, their effort would not be acknowledged, for since the slave owners of the so-called seccesioned States are unable to enforce their property rights, the United States would be treating its law-abiding citizens in a worse manner than rebels, expropriating the former what it simply forbade the latter from acquiring by force once again. We respond: to admit that would be, in effect, to recognize that the freedom of the Negro -and Yellow, in the State of Colorado- is a punishment to the White man. That the Emancipation Proclamation was, as such, an act of revenge, and not of reconciliation. And the central plan of this Acts is not to enact revenge upon our national brothers, but to rebuild the national conscience of this great Union. To achieve a complete Reconciliation between the North and the South, between the Negro -and Yellow- and the White man, between the former slave and the former master.

Even if we accepted that slave owners are owed any quantity for their slaves, have we not paid it already, in both, gold and blood? But we do not accept that reasoning, for this is a question of moral character. We can not advance towards this course of national Reconciliation, towards the final redemption of this great Nation, until we hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness".

Abraham Lincoln, President pro tempore of the Senate of the United States, during the debates on the Reconstruction Acts and Reconciliation Amendments.​

Last edited:
How did the British end up with Colonia @Onerom ?

It is hinted in the Argentine Civil War but not very highlighted: when Artigas requested British intervention on the side of the Federalists, he did it so on the grounds that Buenos Aires and Portugal-Brazil, if victorious, threatened the free navigation of the River Plate. He offered in exchange of support a free port, which would ended being Colonia, so as to show that he would be better for British merchant interests.

I'll also use this post to make an announcement: although I haven't been able to work much on the TL during December nor will I be able to in January, I have been meditating about the TL, especially the "current day situation" of Spain. When I begun the TL, I preferred not to focus much on the "present" until the lore was better established, but I did cover some things like political parties. Then, in October-November, with OTL having an election, made me want to draw some parallels but I rushed the whole thing and, frankly, I find the result unsatisfying. It is not really a product of the TL but a half-hearted attempt to make easy extrapolations without taking into account the vast differences between OTL and TTL. I have decided that, better than bind myself to a situation I don't think will fulfill the standards I seek, I'll redo it on my own terms and at my own pace without letting OTL deride things. As a result, I have dethreadmarked and decanonized some updates (namely, those of political parties, newspaper and election).

I have also decanonized the BBC article about Ireland in another instance of not wanting the present to dictate the past instead of the other way. That, and this little teaser, should give you an idea of what I'm planning on tackling first the next season...

UKFlags.png

Thanks for the answer.

Now, as for this goes. I'm seeing something that looks like a British commonwealth or imperial federation. A Canada split between a Quebec-Maritimes country (without Prince Edward Island?) and presumably the rest of the country. An Australia split between a western Swan River dominion and an eastern, more country containing the core parts of Australia (possibly called Australia). A South Africa without Natal? A split up Britain, and Rhodesia and New Zealand.

Of course, these are all guesses. Anyway, I'm excited to see what comes next.

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
That flag for the Cape of Good Hope is just gorgeous!! Awesome work!

Question - how does Rhodesia cope with being a landlocked enclave of the UK without any direct access to the other home nations?

That flag for the Cape of Good Hope is just gorgeous!! Awesome work!

Thank you very much, I have spent a lot of time redoing that one, didn't know designing flags was that difficult. I was also inspired by your fantastic flags in Hail Britannia, I couldn't reach that level.

Question - how does Rhodesia cope with being a landlocked enclave of the UK without any direct access to the other home nations?

Trade-wise, it has free access to the sea via Portuguese Mozambique, which is still one of the closest allies of the UK. It also has land conection to Cape through Botswana, while the South African Republic, despite being friendly to British interests, strictly restricts her frontiers and isn't a very valuable link. The advent of aviation allowed Rhodesia to become less isolated, but yes, it is certainly a handicap.

Prime minister: Errol Musk Jr.

What the fuck did you make Elon Musk PM of the freaking British empire.
I think it is both blessed and cursed to have an alternate version of Elon Musk as British Prime Minister.

I saw the other day The Simpsons' episode about Hank Scorpio and decided that the TL needed him. Remember that man here hasn't set foot on the Moon (yet).

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Thank you very much, I have spent a lot of time redoing that one, didn't know designing flags was that difficult. I was also inspired by your fantastic flags in Hail Britannia, I couldn't reach that level.

Why thank you :) You should see my reject folder for flags... it's huge!!!

Trade-wise, it has free access to the sea via Portuguese Mozambique, which is still one of the closest allies of the UK. It also has land conection to Cape through Botswana, while the South African Republic, despite being friendly to British interests, strictly restricts her frontiers and isn't a very valuable link. The advent of aviation allowed Rhodesia to become less isolated, but yes, it is certainly a handicap.

Fascinating, so Portugal retains Mozambique (and Angola?). Any other colonies still in European hands? Why didn't Botswana and South Africa remain with UK?

Fascinating, so Portugal retains Mozambique (and Angola?).

Yes, as dubiously integrated parts of a Lusotropical concept of Portugal, together with Cape Verde, Macao and East Timor.

Any other colonies still in European hands?
  • The UK retains most of her American Overseas Territories (Jamaica, Belize, Guayana, etc.), as well as many islands around the Atlantic, Indic and Pacific oceans; Singapour, Hong Kong and Weihaiwei in China, Suez, Malta and Gibraltar in the Mediterranean.
  • France holds Algeria as an integral part of the metropole while West Africa is under colonial status with the eventual goal of final assimilation into the Republic (despite increasing unrest on the part of the natives...)
  • Tunisia and Libya are autonomous republics inside Italy, with the latter being majority Italian, so they aren't colonies but neither independent. They also have some islands on the Indic Ocean taken from the French after the Great War.
  • Germany holds Kiautschou and Kwangchow Wan in China, but they retreated from Zentralafrika at an unspecified-to-avoid-retconns date.
  • Russia holds Central Asia and Dalniy in China.
  • Japan (although not European) holds Korea and Taiwan.
  • The Ottoman Empire (again, not European but still) retains most of the Arabian Peninsula, Levant and Mesopotamia.
  • Spain, as OTL, holds Ceuta and Melilla in Africa but are not considered colonies but integral territory.

Why didn't Botswana and South Africa remain with UK?

Botswana was a British protectorate instead of full colony, as OTL. The native chiefs succesfully lobbied against incorporation into the Cape owing to the lack of European settlers, so when India achieved independence and the British policy shifted to colonial disengagement from the remaining native colonies, Botswana acceded to independence with close association with the UK.

The South African Republic (Transvaal), instead, was independent since after the Boer War (OTL First Boer War) together with the Orange Free State. ITTL the Second Boer War was avoided and both remained associated with the UK but fully independent. Despite calls by warmongering politicians of the Cape, the British Capelanders feared that if incorporated, Afrikaners would dominate the resulting polity and the UK would lose their position in Southern Africa. Boers wanted to preserve their newly declared ethnic homelands, while the Cape Dutch were divided between the Afrikanders who promoted a federation with their ethnic bethren and the Kaaplanders who saw themselves as part of a wider Euro-Capelander identity tied to Britain.