No W-An Alternate 2000s TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
SANTORUM: So, is Operation Watchdog a go?

ASHCROFT: Yes, Mr. President. I've got agents being dispatched to mosques all around the country with listening devices ready for installation. Within a week or so, we should be able to eavesdrop on everything said within those walls.

LOTT: This whole thing is confidential, right? If Congress or the Supreme Court gets wind of this, it could get shut down as a violation of the First Amendment.

SANTORUM: Pffft. We all know that First Amendment protections only apply to Christian denominations. Anybody who believes otherwise is simply quote-mining. Besides, it's not like we're throwing Muslims into death camps-we're just monitoring their places of worship so we can find and root out terrorists and their clerical supporters.

LOTT: The Supreme Court and Congress don't see it that way.

ASHCROFT: I know. That's why I've instructed the agents to keep the listening device installations as covert as possible.

Taped conversation between President Santorum, Vice President Lott, and FBI Director John Ashcroft, July 14, 2005. The tape would eventually be uncovered in 2011 and played to the Sotomayor Commission.

The backlash to this is going to make Watergate look minuscule by comparison. This involves the violation of the constitutional rights of 1.8 million people. The one position thing we can take from this (and other things the Santorum administration will do) is that it'd probably kill whatever political influence the Christian fundamentalist right has on the political process.

The backlash to this is going to make Watergate look minuscule by comparison. This involves the violation of the constitutional rights of 1.8 million people. The one position thing we can take from this (and other things the Santorum administration will do) is that it'd probably kill whatever political influence the Christian fundamentalist right has on the political process.

The funny thing here, is IF they get a warrant? All legal.

The Bill of rights are NOT absolute. Period, stop. There's some exceptions (private conversations, et al between iman/supplicant) but any speeches, any group (3 or more), et al? Not illegal at all to tape, with warrant.

Also, I'm of the school the Bill of rights (and there's proof of this, even the decision that made the interment of Japanese Americans unconstutional, ONLY APPLIED TO CITIZENS, not _non citizen_ residents!) does NOT apply fully to non citizens.

The Bill of rights are NOT absolute. Period, stop. There's some exceptions (private conversations, et al between iman/supplicant) but any speeches, any group (3 or more), et al? Not illegal at all to tape, with warrant.

Also, I'm of the school the Bill of rights (and there's proof of this, even the decision that made the interment of Japanese Americans unconstutional, ONLY APPLIED TO CITIZENS, not _non citizen_ residents!) does NOT apply fully to non citizens.

You really think Santorum is gonna bother with legal niceties like warrants?

Why bother with a warrant when you think the First Ammendment doesn't apply to the people you're targeting? Santorum thinks he's fully in the right bugging US citizens, so naturally he believes that he can get away with it. When the Sotomayor Commission happens the Santorum administration is screwed.

BOMB EXPLODES IN MINNEAPOLIS MOSQUE

Wall Street Journal, July 15, 2005

A bomb exploded at a mosque in Minneapolis during Friday services, killing 18 and wounding 42.

While no one has come forward to claim responsibility, authorities suspect that the bombing may be motivated by revenge for the downing of NWA2804.

Minnesota governor Tim Pawlenty has condemned the bombing, saying "There is no need to punish innocent Muslims for the actions of terrorists."

Why bother with a warrant when you think the First Ammendment doesn't apply to the people you're targeting? Santorum thinks he's fully in the right bugging US citizens, so naturally he believes that he can get away with it. When the Sotomayor Commission happens the Santorum administration is screwed.

Note what I said. "IF".

No, I don't think he would, though Ashcroft would want it, honeslty, he was no where near as bad as some people think.

That's assuming Santorum hasn't already fallen from power by the time the commission happens.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.