No W-An Alternate 2000s TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gore wins the 2000 election. He doesn't create the interest rates, deregulation, and tax cuts which lead to the Great Recession. After 9/11, he probably still invades Afghanistan and loses Al-Qaeda's leadership just as before. But he commits forces to Afghanistan and ending that fight sooner by not invading Iraq. The Taliban are destroyed and Bin Laden probably killed earlier on under different circumstances. The global economy and political situation is far more stable, especially in the Middle East.

Without the policies of the Bush administration, I don't believe the Arab Spring would've begun.

"We-we have just received word that the city of Colombo, the capital of Sri Lanka, has been destroyed by a nuclear explosion. Casualties are reported to be over 200,000. The President, Prime Minister, all of Parliament, and almost all of the military's top brass are believed to be dead."

Brian Williams, NBC News, May 22, 2002

Wow, you had to nuke Sri Lanka on my 6th Birthday? Really?? :mad::mad::mad::p

Gore wins the 2000 election. He doesn't create the interest rates, deregulation, and tax cuts which lead to the Great Recession. After 9/11, he probably still invades Afghanistan and loses Al-Qaeda's leadership just as before. But he commits forces to Afghanistan and ending that fight sooner by not invading Iraq. The Taliban are destroyed and Bin Laden probably killed earlier on under different circumstances. The global economy and political situation is far more stable, especially in the Middle East.

Without the policies of the Bush administration, I don't believe the Arab Spring would've begun.

It's a little late to be guessing the 2000 election outcome.

"José Padilla was a great man for standing up to the Zionist thugs. He gave his life in service to the Palestinian struggle for freedom."

Hamas statement, June 9, 2002

"Utter garbage."

Ariel Sharon, Prime Minister of Israel, in response to the above statement.

MORE DEBRIS, BODIES, FOUND FROM MISSING AIRLINER

New York Times, June 16, 2002

Search teams have reported more debris from American Airlines Flight 63. Pieces of fuselage skin were found drifting in the north Atlantic.

But more importantly, bodies have been found that are believed to be that of passengers from the missing plane. The bodies will be sent to New York City for identification.

UN DELIEVERS ULTIMATUM TO IRAQ

Wall Street Journal, November 8, 2002

The United Nations Security Council has approved Resolution 1441, calling for Iraq to give up their weapons of mass destruction or face grave consequences.

The resolution is the latest aimed at Iraq, which has been suspected to harbor WMDs since the early 1980s.

Wow. You made me feel thankful for Dubya in the same way Rumsfeldia made me thankful for Nixon. He saved my relatives from dying of nuclear war.

TBH, this TL takes more after Icarus Falls, since Bush is removed from the scene before he becomes president.

"We will not agree to terms imposed on us by foreign aggressors."

Saddam Hussein, President of Iraq, November 9, 2002

"Dammit, those bastards really want to make this difficult, don't they?"

President Cheney, in response to Hussein's statement.

I'm thinking a sustained air campaign unless other countries are willing to contribute a sizable number of troops for an invasion of Iraq.

IRAQI NATIONAL ASSEMBLY FORMALLY REJECTS UN RESOLUTION 1441

Wall Street Journal, November 13, 2002

USS CONSTELLATION
DEPLOYED TO PERSIAN GULF

New York Times, November 15, 2002

USS CONSTELLATION ATTACKED BY IRAQI AIR FORCE BOMBERS

Washington Post, November 15, 2002

The aircraft carrier USS Constellation came under attack in the Persian Gulf by the Iraqi Air Force.

Constellation was operating in support of Operation Southern Watch when she was attacked by three SU-25 fighter-bombers. Two were shot down by Constellation's fighters, while the remaining SU-25 managed to drop a single bomb on the carrier's forward flight deck, causing mild damage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.