Riain

Banned
So again we are back to „somehow“. Somehow the war without US ressources would have continued as OTL, „somehow“ the UK would have found means to pay, „somehow“ some people on the internet claim they know better than the acting governments.

I think there is some truth to the 'somehow' position. The Entente fought a rich mans war while the CP fought a poor mans war and neither side had the upper hand after 3 years. Without the vast US resources the British in particular could have made drastic economies in the way they fought their war and accepted many more risks to free up what resources were available to fight only on the most important fronts. They might also have modified their war aims, accepted terms that may have been offered and thrown erstwhile allies under the bus for their own purposes.

mial42

Gone Fishin'
So again we are back to „somehow“. Somehow the war without US ressources would have continued as OTL, „somehow“ the UK would have found means to pay, „somehow“ some people on the internet claim they know better than the acting governments.
Eh, to be fair, the governments of the time got a LOT wrong with the benefit of hindsight (for instance, the Germans believed the Belgians would just let them in, and just about every one believed offense to be significantly stronger then defense when the reverse was true). In theory, someone with the internet and research skills has a century of hindsight and access to far more information then the governments of the time.

Not saying that governments were wrong in this instance, because I haven't done the research, only that past governments are not inherently more credible then people on the internet. Out of curiosity, do you have the source for this statement (eg who said what when how and to who?).

I would, as I mentioned earlier, be interested in the details of the Allies apparent admission of defeat. You mentioned that all allied governments claimed they could not continue past 1917 but do you perhaps have the details of who said it, when, and to whom?

As to your questions, I don’t think anyone has suggested that USW being butterflied would have no effect. The question is what that effect would be. Several answers have been given as to how.

If I may ask, is your thesis that without USW bringing the US in directly then the Entente would surrender in 1917?