No Switzerland

?Is there any good POD that would allow the dismantlement of Switzerland, with the Cantons, each going to their Language nation?
?Would Germany or Austria, get the German speaking Cantons?

?And what effect would No Switzerland have on Europe?

?Is there any good POD that would allow the dismantlement of Switzerland, with the Cantons, each going to their Language nation?

Not after the Reformation. The protestant Cantons wouldn't want to join either catholic france or catholic Austria.

Empee

Banned
And what effect would No Switzerland have on Europe?
Not only for Europe but also for the world. Many drug lords, war criminals and atrocious regimes would find it harder to invest their money and enjoy western refugee.

Not only for Europe but also for the world. Many drug lords, war criminals and atrocious regimes would find it harder to invest their money and enjoy western refugee.
I have no doubt some nation will fill the void Switzerland leaves open.

Susano

Banned
Hmm... rather French chocolate, because the chocolate industry originated in the French-speaking part of Switzerland. Sorry, Austria :p

...which however at that point was part of the Emprire as well, and with a stronger Habsburg, who knows wether France can gobble up so many Impeiral lands. Sorry, France ;)

Hecatee

Donor
Why not have Burgundy defeat the Swiss and annex them as was historically attempted ? Let's say it was Charles le Téméraire who won against the Swiss at Morat and Grandson in 1476 and that due to that he's not at Nancy in 1477 and thus does not die. It means he has the time to father a son, meaning if it is done that Burgundy won't be split between Louis XI of France and the Hapsburg as was done OTL, the country either keeping alive for much longer of being a target for Charles V and François I in the early 1500's...

There is plenty of opportunity of getting rid of the Confederation before the French Revolution. The most striking ones may be the following:

• It is never founded. The region would be absorbed mainly by Habsburg, but other powers (Bavarian Wittelsbacher, Zähringer, Savoy) might jump in at a later time.
  • Already mentioned: Habsburg wins.
  • The alliance system between the cantons crashes due to religious differences in mid-15th century. Details yet to be devised.
  • My favorite one: Some of the Calvinistic cantons reply in the affirmative to Gustav Adolf's request for alliance in 1630. (They would be stupid, but anyway ...)
    This would fairly sure put an end to Swiss concord.

In general, "no Switzerland" means that the world would lack the accomplishmends of the political entity, but not the cultural aspects of the region.
So while there would be no "showcase democracy" in the heart of Europe for a long time, no "neutral" place, no refuge for political revolutioneers pursued in other places (before the New World provides such); no banks of the mentioned type; and perhaps an early end to the brand "Swiss Mercenary" - I don't see that that would in any case prevent Zwingli's and Calvin's reformation, CERN, Swiss chocolate, or imitations of the genuinely German cuckoo clock.