No Roman Empire

This is going to have huge butterflies. What if the Roman Empire never existed and there is only a Roman Republic confined to the Italian peninsula and nearby islands? What might the future of culture, history, science, society be like? What might Europe be like?

Tags might help.

But my problem is: why? Even between punic wars one and two, Rome conquered the Adriatic coast, and them losing that seems a bit unlikely because the early republic's army was the patriotic mid to upper-class, vs some cousins of the macedonians. and Gaul was at least going to be invaded once they had Carthaginian Spain after the second punic war. And them losing the first punic war might wind up shifting everything that the mediterranean is just united by Carthage and not rome, which defeats your purpose

I suppose you could have the Romans lose the Samnite Wars or something, but even then the Romans had near bottomless resources. If the Romans lose a Legion, they just shrug and raise two more.

It's impossible to know what exactly happens to the history of the Mediterranean and surrounding regions without the Roman Empire forming. The only thing I can guarantee is that we won't even be speaking English, or any other language with heavy Latin influence.