The Leningrad Affair was a purge of Soviet politicians and public officials based in the city of Leningrad who had become heroes thanks to the siege it endured during WW2. Around 2.000 public officials lost their positions and were exiled to Siberia while the more prominent leaders, such as Nikolai Voznesensky and Alexey Kuznetsov, were executed by firing squad. One of the few survivors of the purge was Alexei Kosygin, who some posters believe could've been a potential savior of the USSR.

What if this whole ordeal doesn't happen? I've read in some posts here that most of the guys who were purged were protégés of Andrei Zhdanov, seen as Stalin's most likely successor until his death from alcoholism in 1948 at the age of 52, and that it was his early demise which allowed guys like Malenkov and Beria to convince Stalin to initiate the purge.

So let's say that either Stalin dies before 1948 or Zhdanov makes it 1953. I assume the survival of so many party officials and leaders would alter CPSU internal politics and struggles completely. Any chance for one of the men who died to become General Secretary?

Voznesensky et al are likely to be anti-Malenkov, anti-Beria and pro-Khrushchev in post-Stalin politics.

Stronger question is around the 1952-1957 crisis and whether like Mikoyan/Nagy they're actually capable of being pushed towards workers management by the proletariat.

Stronger question is around the 1952-1957 crisis and whether like Mikoyan/Nagy they're actually capable of being pushed towards workers management by the proletariat.
This thread indicates that the USSR and the Warsaw Pact were becoming less authoritarian right up until the Hungarian Revolution. I'm not sure Zhdanov was much of a "democrat" himself, but maybe one of his successors could be?

What if this whole ordeal doesn't happen? I've read in some posts here that most of the guys who were purged were protégés of Andrei Zhdanov
Did they share his "Zhdanovshchina"? If so that's huge cringe.

Assuming Andrei Zhdanov became leader of the USSR even if only for a short period of time, could the infamous agronomist and pseudoscientist Trofim Lysenko be purged? His son Yuri was in favor of such.
Given that "Zhdanovshchina" was all about valuing marxist ideology over science and engineering... Highly unlikely.

Did they share his "Zhdanovshchina"? If so that's huge cringe.

Given that "Zhdanovshchina" was all about valuing marxist ideology over science and engineering... Highly unlikely.
Didn't Khrushchev himself seem like an ordinary Stalinist right up to the point where he became General Secretary? Even if the sickly Zhdanov was a "conventional" party man, maybe some of the other Leningrad guys weren't.

Didn't Khrushchev himself seem like an ordinary Stalinist right up to the point where he became General Secretary?
Yes, but we aren't talking about an ordinary Stalinist, we're talking about Stalin's right hand man, who actively led the anti-pragmatist pro-centralization faction within the party. Maybe he'd pull a Stalin and do a full 180 once in power and purge the people who put him in charge, but he doesn't seem that pragmatic.

Even if the sickly Zhdanov was a "conventional" party man,
Less conventional, more purity spiralling ideologue who hates the ideological impurities brought by technocrats and regional authorities.

maybe some of the other Leningrad guys weren't.
And that's what I asked you.

I do 56 not 49.

my understanding of Zhadanovoshchina was that it was used to break the unusually intimate worker-intelligentsia-nomenklatura thing going on in Leningrad, not only due to the siege but the siege producing a mythologisation of 1917.

As in Leningrad represented a power base for a potential anti-party working class communist resurgence. Kinda like that Tito-pole problem.