Portugal along Spain was the first superpower in the world, being the nation that open the door to the era of exploration. The fifteenth century was the golden age of the portuguese empire.

However, in 1578, the young king sebastian died in the battle of Alcacer-Quibir. His uncle, the cardeal Henrique assume the throne only for more two years until he died in 1580.

With the portuguese succession war of 1580 Filipe II (first of Portugal) King of Spain was able to consolidate his right to the portuguese throne, highlightning from the various candidates. The Iberian Union was created and lasted for 60 years.

What if Portugal have won the battle of Alcacer-Quibir and so, King Sebastian didn't die and the Iberian Union between Portugal and Spain was never formed?

How this would change the portuguese empire and the world?

Last edited:
Sebastião would still find a way to die for his faith. Maybe instead just make Sebastian's cousin Duarte of Guimarães living longer? Being legitimate, male-line descendant of Manuel I, he'll be obvious successor of Sebastião.

Sebastião would still find a way to die for his faith. Maybe instead just make Sebastian's cousin Duarte of Guimarães living longer? Being legitimate, male-line descendant of Manuel I, he'll be obvious successor of Sebastião.
Or, we can make Antonio, Prior of Crato be the legitimate grandson of Manuel I (instead illegitimate as he was in our timeline) and so he would be the first successor after the death of Sebastian.

In that way, what would change until nowadays?