No GNW (or “Peter goes South”)

War and other events
166. War and other events

«Что за беда, что ни хлеба, ни кваса, Пуля найдет солдатское мясо
Прутков ‘Военные афоризмы’ [1]
«Не смотри, что в ранце дыра — Иди вперед и кричи: ура!»
Прутков ‘Военные афоризмы’ [2]
«Начальник на войне не должен себя ничем связывать, а поступать соответственно обстоятельствам и всегда быстро».
Суворов [3]

Southern Italy.

1656785910092.jpeg

The royal court fled to Palermo and soon afterwards cardinal Fabrizio Dionigi Ruffo was chosen to head a royalist movement in Calabria, where his family, though impoverished by debt, exercised large feudal powers. On 8 February 1799 he landed at La Cortona with a small following, and began to raise the so-called "army of the faith" in association with Michele Pezza, "Fra Diavolo", and other brigand leaders. His feuds of Scilla and Bagnara were the first places to be used for a massive enlistment of 25.000 farmers skilled to arms. They formed the Christian and Real Army, also known as Esercito della Santa Fede in Nostro Signore Gesù Cristo, and conquered Crotone moving to the Basilicata and Apulia regions (Altamura and Modugno), and finally in the Principato Ultra.

Taking into an account importance of the Sicilian ports as the Russian naval and trade bases, Admiral Ushakov, who just completed his Corfu operation, got a permission, if he finds it feasible, and not involving serious risks for the Russian squadron, to provide a naval support to Ruffo’s operations.

With a backing of the Russian-Ottoman squadron Ruffo, at the head of his army, marched on Naples and took it on 15 June 1799: possibly exceeding his authority, he promised the Neapolitan republicans immunity from reprisals and obtained their surrender (they had to be shipped to France) [4]. Queen, who had much more zeal than brains, was very unhappy but Nelson was not there to implement her orders and neither Russian nor British naval commanders on the scene had any intention to obey her whims. Anyway, the Southern Italy was back in the hands of the Bourbons. Ruffo lost favor of the King, resigned his vicar-generalship to the prince of Cassero and lived quietly in Naples.

Northern Italy. The Austrians started campaign with 55,000 under command of general Melas.
1656787816094.jpeg

On the opposite side there was French Army of Italy, 58,000 strong under command of Scherer who was mostly remarkable by a visible lack of any talent, military or administrative [5]. He won an initial clash at Pastrengo on March 26 but was defeated by Austrian General Pál Kray at the Battle of Magnano on April 5. "Schérer went into this battle without forming a reserve and was thus unable to react to crisis or opportunities effectively." Forced to retire behind the river Mincio, he gave up command to Jean Moreau.
1656788707396.jpeg

From this point on situation stabilized with the French and Austrian armies maneuvering between the Guarda Lake and the Po River with neither side achieving any noticeable advantage for a while. While Moreau was more talented, his operations had been severely handicapped by a sorry state of his troops: a dysfunctional Ministry of War failed to supply troops with pretty much everything and, unlike Bonaparte, Moreau was trying to prevent his troops from unrestricted looting (and, anyway, it would not provide an army with gunpowder, cannonballs, etc.

Central Italy. General Macdonald had his 38,000 spread from the Rome to the Adriatic coast to prevent the further advances of Neapolitan army and also had to guard the right bank of the Po River to prevent possible Austrian attempt to advance South. Obviously, the force in his disposal was inadequate for the assigned task and suffered from the same supply problems.

Germany. Jourdan, appointed commander of the Army of Observation, assessed the quality and disposition of the forces and identified needed supplies and manpower. He found the army woefully inadequate for its assignment. The Army, and its flanking armies, the Army of Helvetia(Switzerland) and the Army of Mayence, were equally short of manpower, supplies, ammunition, and training. Jourdan documented assiduously these shortages, pointing out in lengthy correspondence to the Directory the consequences of an under-manned and under-supplied army; his petitions seemed to have little effect on the Directory, which sent neither significant additional manpower nor supplies. However, all these armies got orders to act offensively. On March 1, 1799, the Army of Observation, in an order of battle of approximately 30,000 men in four divisions, crossed the Rhine at Kehl and Basel as units crossed, they took the name Army of the Danube.

Jourdan was a good administrator and capable legislator (he was the framer of the famous conscription law of 1798, which came to be known as the Jourdan law) but his record in a field was sketchy and now he was confronted by the best Austrian general, Archduke Charles. On the top of this his army was outnumbered by the Austrians more than 2:1.
1656791311737.png

In March 1799, the Army of the Danube engaged in two major battles, both in the southwestern German theater, and was defeated in both. Jourdan instructed his generals to take up positions in the Black Forest, and he himself established a base at Hornberg. From there, General Jourdan relegated command of the army to his chief of staff, Jean Augustin Ernouf, and traveled to Paris to ask for more and better troops and, ultimately, when these were not forthcoming, to request a medical leave. The Army was reorganized, and a portion placed under the command of André Masséna and merged with the Army of Helvetia.

Egypt or s—t happens. In February 1799 commander of cavalry of the Army of Egypt and one of the most colorful figures [6] of the French Army, general Thomas Alexandre Dumas, asked and received permission to leave Army of Egypt due to the bad health.

1656793984747.jpeg

While it is unclear if he really did have the health problem, it was not a secret that by that time he completely fall out with Bonaparte over conduct of campaign [7].

On 7 March 1799, Dumas boarded a small ship called the Belle Maltaise in the company of his fellow General Jean-Baptiste Manscourt du Rozoy, the geologist Déodat Gratet de Dolomieu, forty wounded French soldiers, and a number of Maltese and Genoan civilians. Dumas had sold the furnishings of his quarters in Cairo, and purchased 4,000 pounds of moka coffee; eleven Arabian horses (two stallions and nine mares) to establish breeding stock in France; and hired the ship. The ship managed to avoid the Brits patrolling Mediterranean, the weather was good and 41 day later it reached Marseilles safely. After selling his merchandise general Dumas went to Paris to report to the Ministry of War and wait for the next assignment.

On August 23 general Bonaparte accompanied by the generals Berthier, Murat, Lannes and Marmont boarded 44 guns frigate “Murion” and, accompanied by 3 other ships, left Egypt without bothering to say “Good Bye” to anybody. His deputy, general Kleber, got a letter appointing him a new army commander when Bonaparte was already sailing to France. The voyage started well but then storm dispersed the squadron and severely damaged “Murion” began to sink and forced by storms to land at Taranto, in the Kingdom of Naples. Bonaparte and his companions expected to get a friendly reception, having heard that the Kingdom had been overthrown by the Parthenopean Republic. But that short-lived republic had succumbed to an internal uprising by a local force known as the Holy Faith Army, led by Cardinal Fabrizio Ruffo, in alliance with King Ferdinand IV of the Kingdom of Naples, who was at war with France. They were imprisoned and most of their belongings were confiscated. Ruffo, who was not a cruel person, tried to arrange for the exchange but the Directory did not show any interest and he gave up. The imprisonment conditions were rather harsh and soon enough heath of general Berthier noticeably deterriorated: he was partially paralyzed, almost blind in one eye, had been deaf in one ear. [8]

The salvation came from a rather unexpected corner. In March 1, 1801 (Edit: changed from “1800”) the prisoners had been visited by no lesser figures than Admiral Ushakov and Russian Ambassador at the court of Naples, Count Golovkin [9]. The visitors informed them that from now on they are personal guests of Emperor Paul and are going to be sent to Moscow with all comforts fitting their high rank and glorious reputation. Upon arrival, they will be presented with a various options to chose from but in a meantime there are personal letters to general Bonaparte from his family and friends and, most important, the Emperor’s personal letter with the invitation. Those of the personal belongings which had been recovered, will. be returned to them immediately but as of right now let’s proceed to the admiral’s ship where the dinner will be served. Well, of course, unless you prefer to stay in prison…

[4] In OTL Nelson in his capacity of the Queen’s (or Lady’s Hamilton) lapdog cancelled cardinal’s decision and ordered execution of 124 republicans. Taking into an account that he did not play any role in taking Naples, this was really lousy (one of the reasons why he is killed ahead of a schedule: he was a brilliant naval tactician but other than that a rather unsavory type).
[5] He served as French Minister of War from July 22, 1797, to February 21, 1799 leaving it in a complete mess.
[6] No pun intended.
[7] In OTL much later Napoleon, who tended not to forget and forgive, first refused to exchange him and upon return refused to give him the money owned according to the law and he struggled to support his family.
[8] I dislike him even more than Nelson but, this aside, I have to put him out of the circulation.
[9] In OTL he did serve in this capacity but much earlier.

Last edited:
Nelson was not there to implement her orders and neither Russian nor British naval commanders on the scene had any intention to obey her whims.
Isn't Nelson dead?

And Nappy in Russia? That is a surprise!

edit: in this way I mean, OTL Nappy went to Russia as well.... Just not quite so friendly

Isn't Nelson dead?
Yes, he is and, being a little bit dead, he was definitely not “there”.
And Nappy in Russia? That is a surprise!
What’s wrong with this? In OTL as a junior officer he applied for the Russian employment (at least as per a popular story).

edit: in this way I mean, OTL Nappy went to Russia as well.... Just not quite so friendly
A difference between invited and uninvited guest.

What’s wrong with this? In OTL as a junior officer he applied for the Russian employment (at least as per a popular story).
Well, it's a surprise, I didn't say a bad one. However, with Russia going this well and Nappy in their employment, who will be the bogeyman? I hope its not Britian, I'm frankly hoping that the relationship between their greatest customer and Russia itself is becoming more and more cordial. But I don't want to be spoiled, so ill guess I'll have to wait..

Well, it's a surprise, I didn't say a bad one. However, with Russia going this well and Nappy in their employment, who will be the bogeyman? I hope its not Britian, I'm frankly hoping that the relationship between their greatest customer and Russia itself is becoming more and more cordial. But I don't want to be spoiled, so ill guess I'll have to wait..

I expect France, they'll pretty much still end up winning revolutionary wars and coming out of the as a perceived top dog of Europe with expanded territory and sphere of influence.

Though i must say Nappy going to Russia was surprising, but ultimately useful as that is one way to get some military reforms done (Russia was already ahead of other powers in military organization, Nappy will make divide bigger on top of bringing in some practical expirience) , not to mention this could potentially end up introducing Napoleonic code to Russia.

Last edited:
Good update! Napoleon is out of the way, but that doesn't mean that the Directory is safe; Republican France had no shortage of ambitious generals... You mentioned Bernadotte; any plans for him?

I expect France, they'll pretty much still end up winning revolutionary wars and coming out of the as a perceived top dog of Europe with expanded territory and sphere of influence.

Though i must say Nappy going to Russia was surprising, but ultimately useful as that is one way to get some military reforms done (Russia was already ahead of other powers in military organization, Nappy will make divide bigger on top of bringing in some practical expirience) , not to mention this could potentially end up introducing Napoleonic code to Russia.
Thing is, the updates mentioned that Russia actually settled with normal relations with them once things stabilized more and without Russia joining in the coalition or even without a Napoleon in charge, there's no bad blood between them, especially because France will be more busy consolidating and maintaining their newfound influence and territories as well as probably try and bring more German states to their side, something that doesn't concern Russia nor it's main Baltic allies, sure Prussia and Austria might be mad in losing influence in German and Italy... But without Russian or Baltic desire to go to war, they won't risk losing more in a hopeless battle.

Like I mentioned before, I see France focusing on its relationships, getting cozy with the united states so they can both screw over Great Britain, finding a good solution to the Haiti question, trying to give back the new Dutch republic it's colonies back, etc. Trying to fight against Russia by snooping their nose in a territory they have no real need to intervene in is counterproductive and a waste of time and resources that won't achieve nothing.

Like I mentioned before, I see France focusing on its relationships, getting cozy with the united states so they can both screw over Great Britain, finding a good solution to the Haiti question, trying to give back the new Dutch republic it's colonies back, etc. Trying to fight against Russia by snooping their nose in a territory they have no real need to intervene in is counterproductive and a waste of time and resources that won't achieve nothing.
Didn't stop Nappy, but to be fair Russia was actively working against him

Thing is, the updates mentioned that Russia actually settled with normal relations with them once things stabilized more and without Russia joining in the coalition or even without a Napoleon in charge, there's no bad blood between them, especially because France will be more busy consolidating and maintaining their newfound influence and territories as well as probably try and bring more German states to their side, something that doesn't concern Russia nor it's main Baltic allies, sure Prussia and Austria might be mad in losing influence in German and Italy... But without Russian or Baltic desire to go to war, they won't risk losing more in a hopeless battle.

I was mostly commenting about France being bogeyman for the rest of European great powers beside Russia. But otherwise while France won't be bogeyman for Russia British are still their biggest trading partners , not to mention they actually have a lot common lines regarding forgein policy (for example neither wants France to establish hegemony in med at the expense of Ottomans) .

Otherwise regarding Dutch colonies, i expect British to simply take that as a compensation for expansion of French influence in Europe . Personally i see Russia acknowledging this diplomatically for brownie points in London( who knows maybe Danish and Swedish get a little reward on the way ) , not to mention French supplementing the Brit's in far east , or getting foothold there on top of getting Rhineland is bad for Russian interests in Europe.

Regarding French cooperating with US, that really depends, British still rule the wave's which would make a war in America costly for the US, expansion in direction of Louisiana makes a lot more sense, especially because in Grand Scheme of things Franco-Spanish alliance would make far bigger obstacle to US than British empire.

I just hope that Nelsons death just brings peace opposed to trouble for the Britt's.

Edit: Regarding the French, i expect them to accept victorious peace and consolidate what they have without starting any trouble's atm (remember army is still underfunded so that needs to be addressed) .

Otherwise with France potentially getting Louisiana back from Spain and US owning former Kingdom of France (Now Republic) a lot of money from revolution and France free from the continental war... Well things can go either way in New World but i personally don't see a trouble brewing for now as French geopolitics (with any sane government) probably won't be centered around just screwing the Brit's and starting a war for Lols in NW and potentially Europe (after just getting the peace) without direct use for the Republic , that was the thing Monarchy did when it supported the revolution (and it bankrupted them), so any deal and alliance with the US would be based on how much troops is US willing to commit in NW.

Last edited:
Without Russia as part of the coalition, even Britain may have to give up the ghost -- but they're also going to be able to take so many colonial prizes. Both sets of Indies are probably going to be British from now on, not to mention India -- the British Raj could consist of the entire historical Indosphere. France should consider selling Louisiana to capitalize on tensions between Britain and America -- a distracted Britain digesting colonial gains is one that is less able to meddle on the Continent.

While France is probably the Western European hegemon for now, the rise of German nationalism and the difficulty of dealing Britain a decisive blow to their ability to wage wars both military and economic will still be inhibitors to France's ability to exploit their new position. As it is, meddling too much in Germany could bring down the wrath of the Baltic Mafia with British financial backing, a disastrous outcome. I don't see attempts at the Greater European Co-Prosperity Sphere (aka the Continental System) even happening ITTL -- the Balts have too much commerce with Britain and too much powder that has been left dry. It'd be the ruin of France.

Similarly, I don't think any Iberian expeditions will do much good. With the British Navy being what it is, even nominal gains in ex-Spanish colonial territory would probably just become actual gains for Britain from ex-Spanish colonial territory (although I don't see any British, French or other seizure of Buenos Aires or other more populated areas going any better than IOTL.)

rise of German nationalism

Aren't we getting a little ahead of the events? Otl French invasion of HRE and subsequent disbanded of feudal Institutions played a big part in German Nationalism and even then it's far off and of no big concern to the France as they don't really have a lot of stake there in terms of influence , not to mention Prussian/Austrian rivalry (with lot weaker Prussia and Austria wanting nothing to do with German unification like in otl) , Swedish having territories in Germany and Russia potentially having a say about the state of their western borders. Basically French have a lot of Friends when it comes to German nationalism (something that's in far of future as of now).

Last edited:
All kinds of activities
167. All kinds of activities

“Quos Deus vult perdere, prius dementat” [1]

“Never look for difficult ways where there is a simple road.”
Erich Maria Remarque
War is always unpredictable - your enemy may turn into your ally if you get the common interests.”
Unknown author
“Until you realize how easy it is for your mind to be manipulated, you remain the puppet of someone else's game.”
Evita Ochel
“… How to make a losing business profitable without making any changes…”
Saltykov-Schedrin

France.

1656870245886.jpeg

In Paris Director Sieyes was quietly planning a coup that would make him a sole de facto ruler of France. Not being too good in anything but intrigues, he needed a military man who is going to do the job and afterwards will be quietly moved into a purely decorative position leaving all power to Sieyes. His “sword” of a choice was general Joubert but so far, while definitely talented, he was something of a second tier figure in Republic’s military establishment with very little in the terms of a following. To remedy this, Sieyes manipulated Moreau’s removal from command of the Army of Italy on a basis of absence of any noticeable success and replaced him with Joubert. Unfortunately, within a week of his arrival, Joubert had been shot dead during reconnaissance. Moreau already left and command of the army had been taken by general Championnet who distinguished himself in 1798 as a commander of the Armée de Rome.
1656871575192.jpeg

This army was protecting the infant Roman Republic against the Neapolitan court and the British fleet. Nominally 32,000 strong, the army scarcely numbered 8000 effectives, with a bare fifteen cartridges per man. Leading the Neapolitan army, the Austrian general Karl Mack von Leiberich had a tenfold superiority in numbers, but Championnet held his own and captured Naples itself, and there established the Parthenopaean Republic. His intense earnestness and intolerance of opposition, plus his penchant for looting and an unwillingness to curb atrocities by his troops, soon embroiled him with the civil population. He was relieved with the accusation of graft, and subsequently imprisoned for a short time. The following year, however, saw him again in the field as commander-in-chief of the Army of the Alps. This, too, was at first a mere paper force, but after three months' hard work it was able to take the field.

[According to Napoleon, Championette "was brave, full of zeal, active, devoted to his country; he was a good General of Division, an indifferent Commander-in-Chief.” ]

The back and forth “dances” at the Mincio River continued. In a meantime disgruntled Moreau arrived to Paris, asked and received a leave due to the bad health and retired to his estate, visibly enjoying hunting and a relaxed life. Massena, in charge of the operations in Switzerland, demonstrated inability to control his subordinates with a resulting defeat at Winterthur but other than that, it was pretty much the same “dancing” of the forces thinly spread on both sides with a purpose to cover everything rather than to crush the enemy.

The Brits tried to land in Holland but after few unsuccessful skirmishes boarded their ships and sailed home.

So on all European theaters there was a clear stalemate and things in Egypt, with Kleber in charge, were still under control.

Paris. To coup or not to coup. On July 2, 1799 general Bernadotte was appointed a Minister of War and energetically proceeded with putting its work to order.
Minister Bernadot got up every day at three o'clock in the morning and went to work. At 4.00 he was already there and worked until 19.00 - 20.00. He demanded work from his subordinates from 7.00 to 22.00 p.m. Those who did not cope with their duties or could not withstand such a load, he mercilessly fired. From the very first days, the new minister waged a fierce war with treasury thieves, thieves, bribe takers and other dishonest officials who settled in the ministry. He went to war with the bureaucracy and tried to make sure that all cases and papers were dismantled, and all incoming letters were answered no later than a day after their receipt. He demanded that the treasury provide him with cash, began to purchase clothes and uniforms and began to restore order in the intendencies. 100,000 recruits went to the front.

[On a legendary level. In September 1799, his associates, Generals Jourdan and Augreau, as well as one of the Jacobin leaders Antonio Cristofano Saliceti, came to the minister. They proposed to arrange another pronunciamento - to remove the Directory and transfer power to three consuls, Bernadotte, Jourdan and Augreau. This story is known only from the memoirs of General Jean Sarrazin, who planned to become a minister of war under the triumvirate. He also writes that Bernadotte refused, and then reported the conspiracy to Barras and Sieyes. King Charles XIV Johan himself recalled that in 1799 he "contemplated limiting the Directory to three consuls." In general, "something happened - either ballet or drinking party..." There were also approaches from the right - Louis-Antoine Henri de Bourbon-Condé, Duke of Enghien (grandson of the Prince de Condé and the future victim of Napoleon) asked him to help to hide from the detectives of the Directory (the prince lived in Paris clandestine), but Bernadotte advised him to leave France immediately, saying: "If France is destined to become a monarchy, I will obey the power of events, but it will not me who will call them."]

To Sieyes an energetic and popular Minister of War was an obstacle to a planned coup (obviously, he was too intelligent to be a brainless “sword”) and on September 14 Bernadotte was fired from his position without receiving any immediate appointment.

Now, there were at least 3 disgruntled influential generals in and near Paris (Moreau, Jourdan and Bernadotte) but neither Directory in general not Sieyes specifically paid attention. In the case of Bernadotte there were additional factors which had to be but were not considered:
  • Unlike his colleagues (except for Bonaparte) he was a “political animal” with a considerable following in and outside the army.
  • By marriage to Desire Clary he become a member of the Bonaparte family with very good relations to its members, especially to Joseph and Lucien, both of whom had been members of the Council of 500 (and so were Jourdan and Bernadotte himself).
  • Prior to his appointment as a minister, Bernadotte was for a while commander of the 17th Division ( “Internal Army of Paris” ) and in all places where he served he usually was liked by his subordinates.
Early in 1799 general Dumas arrived to Paris and was greeted as one of the heroes of the Egypt expedition. Of course, he was invited everywhere and, not being a political animal at all, he was honestly telling the stories of both glorious battles and of a complete mishandling of the situation by general Bonaparte: the revolts, massacres, strange political maneuvers which looked as a possible attempts to establish himself as a King (or Sultan) of Egypt, a desperate situation of the Army of Egypt and a complete failure of the grandiose plans related to invasion of India. Typically, the true stories had been retold with all possible and impossible exaggerations, mostly unflattering for general Bonaparte: it looked like the huge material resources and the best troops had been sacrificed for nothing and it was naive to expect that the alienated natives are going to willingly support the French administration and the only tangible results are broken traditionally friendly relations with the Ottoman Empire and severe damage to the French Mediterranean fleet and resulting British dominance that will destroy whatever was left from the French Levantine trade.

The first symptom of the raising storm was Taleyrand’s change of position. Without reneging on his earlier support of the project, he eagerly denounced the incompetent implementation. The lesser figures followed. The Bonaparte family found itself in a precarious position and it was up to Bernaddotte to act as a public defender of his former comrade-in-arms regardless their rather ambivalent relations. Which he did in his usual Gascon style with a lot of fantasies and exaggerations. Not that he was completely successful but reputation of general Bonaparte was improved above “has to be courtmartialed” level and his brothers were secure.

But a rude way in which his removal from the ministerial position was conducted had been something of a triggering event switching his attitude from “everything must be done legally” to “something must be done to save the Republic”. He was pushed by his Republican friends, by Bonaparte family and by the social elite visiting salons of Mme Recamier and Mme de Staël both of whom became his close friends.
1656877081998.jpeg

1656877123920.jpeg

Talleyrand forgot his earlier opposition and played friendly. What was more important, Fouche, the almighty Minister of Police, more than once visited Bernadotte’s residence in Paris.
1656877182212.png

Somewhere during the early fall it became known that general Bonaparte with few more persons abandoned his troops in Egypt, sailed to France and either drowned in a shipwreck or is captured by the Neapolitans. A new wave of a public rage followed: abandoning army without an order, and especially when this army is in a very dangerous situation, was clearly a case for the court martial. And this would impact not only an immediate family but the extended one as well, providing Sieyes & Co with a weapon against Bernadotte. It was one thing to be a good republican and a quite different one to allow your life to be ruined by the political scumbags (obviously, bad republicans and even worse leaders) just because you are stubbornly sticking to the letter of a law.

The rest was surprisingly simple. On the morning of 18 Brumaire, Lucien Bonaparte persuaded the Councils that a coup was at hand in Paris, and induced them to depart for the safety of the suburban Château de Saint-Cloud. Paul Barras had been persuaded to resign, Sieyès and Ducos were arrested by Moreau and the two Jacobin Directors, Louis-Jérôme Gohier and Jean-François-Auguste Moulin, had been Bernadotte’s friends.
The two Councils had been assured that nothing drastic happened: the Directory thoroughly compromised itself by mismanagement and some of its members are implicated in a plot against the Republic so this form of a government must be put to the end. The Councils of Ancients and of 5 Hundred will be retained [2] but there is going to be a review of the Constitution: it was violated on 18 Fructidor, on 22 Floreal and on 30 Prairial so there are definitely some serious problems with it and nobody respects it anymore. There were some angry deputies but there was seemingly very little to protest against because everything was done by the law (well, more or less). .

The Ancients passed a decree that adjourned the Councils for three months, appointed Bernadotte, Moreau and Jourdan (two of whom were the members of the Council of 500 so this was not exactly a military coup and Bernadotte was a known Jackobine) provisional consuls, and named the Corps législatif. Lucien Bonaparte, who was presiding at the Council of 500, got the confirmation vote for the Ancients’ decision and called for session to be adjourned.

The new consuls immediately convened two commissions, each consisting of twenty-five deputies from the two Councils. The commissions started with proclaiming a provisional government led by 3 consuls. The “streets” were quiet because everybody wanted a strong and capable government. The Jacobin officeholders in the provinces had been happy to have one of them as a consul. The commissions then drew up the "short and obscure Constitution of the Year VIII". The document vested executive power in three Consuls and resembled the autocratic Roman Republic of Caesar Augustus, a conservative republic-in-name, which reminded the French of stability, order, and peace. The Constitution of Year VIII established a legislature of three houses, which was composed of a Conservative Senate of 80 men over the age of 40, a Tribunate of 100 men over the age of 25, and a Legislative Body (Corps législatif) of 300 men over 30 years old. Declaration of Rights was mentioned and there were the low level elections based on the popular vote.

Now, the task ahead was to establish order at home and arrange for a peace.

_________
[1] Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad.
[2] Why irritate the people, especially the stupid ones, ahead of time? In OTL Nappy was acting in his usual boorish manner and the stupid rhetoric was really pathetic (“God of war is on my side!”, give me a break). With 3 out of 5 directors resigning, surely there should be a legitimate call for government’s replacement.

Last edited:
Very nice description of the political maneuverings. I’m looking forward to seeing how this reformed republic will handle the postwar era.

Very nice description of the political maneuverings. I’m looking forward to seeing how this reformed republic will handle the postwar era.
This is the smart comment I would've liked to have said

And here's what Im actually gonna comment:

Bernadotte fuck yeah!

Road to peace
168. Road to peace

There is no need to continue doing a thing merely because it has been done … for the last thirty or forty years – if this is the only reason for doing it, then it is high time we changed and did something else,”
Montgomery [1]
You don't make peace with friends. You make it with very unsavory enemies.”
Yitzhak Rabin
The Directory…was overpowered by its own weakness: to exist, it needed a state of war as other governments need a state of peace”

Napoleon at St. Helena (look who is talking 😂)

Poster in Paris After Brumaire Coup “France wants something great and long lasting. Instability has been her downfall, and she now invokes steadiness. She has no desire for monarchy…but she does want unity in the action of the power executing laws…She wants her representatives to be peaceable conservatives, not unruly innovators. Finally, she wants to enjoy the benefits accruing from ten years of sacrifices”.

Defining the goal. Taking power proved to be relatively easy and now it was a time to decide how to use it. Three consuls were not looking eye-to-eye on everything but they were in a complete agreement regarding the need to make a sustainable peace. And this meant that the peace has to be reasonably advantageous both to the Republic and to its enemies.

Formula proposed by Bernadotte and agreed upon by his colleagues was “defensive policy” [2]: France in the borders of 1797 backed up by the sister-republics: Batavian, Ligurian, Cisalpine and Helvetian. This would provide a strong defensive perimeter while giving a clear indication that France is not going to get unduly involved into the German and Italian affairs. The issue of French colonies has to be negotiated and the same goes for the Dutch ones including possessions of VOC. The Dutch has to be given a certain freedom of negotiation with the Brits underscoring their status as an independent state, an issue to which the Brits are seemingly sensitive. It would be helpful if peace with Britain is concluded before situation in Egypt becomes completely unsustainable.

Austria was something of a problem because general absence of the French successes and Austrian victories in Switzerland, modest as they were, made them excessively self-assured and inclined to continue fighting until they can demand some major gains. The most obvious solution was to score a big victory ASAP. Bernadotte’s short tenure as Minister of War put the military administration on a right track and the armies started getting the necessary supplies and reinforcements so even Massena who used to made disparaging remarks about “Gascon charlatan” had to acknowledge that his army is now in a good fighting condition. As an additional and very important stroke of luck, Archduke Charles who in 1795 defeated both Jourdan and Moreau and in 1799 defeated Jourdan and Massena, got sick and retired to his estates in Bohemia.

Moreau who was the most reputable general of the consuls and, unlike his colleagues, had no interest in the issues administrative, legislative and diplomatic, volunteered to take charge of the Army of the Rhine.

Interlude:
Moreau about himself:
At the beginning of the Revolution, designed to mark the beginning of the freedom of the French people, I was doomed to study the laws. The revolution changed the direction of my life: I devoted it to military affairs. I joined the ranks of freedom soldiers not for ambitious reasons, but chose the military field out of respect for the rights of the people: I became a warrior because I was a citizen.”

In OTL the 1st Consul Bonaparte to Moreau:
I would love to exchange the purple mantle of the First Consul for epaulettes of the brigade commander under your command.” [3]

At the front. From April to July 1800, Moreau's army drove the Austrian army of Feldzeugmeister Pál Kray from the Rhine River to the Inn River with victories at Stockach, Messkirch, and Höchstädt. On 15 July, the combatants agreed to an armistice. [4] Realizing that Kray was no longer up to the task, Emperor Francis II removed him from command.[5] The Austrian chancellor Johann Amadeus von Thugut first offered Archduke Ferdinand Karl Joseph of Austria-Este and Archduke Joseph, Palatine of Hungary command of the army but both declined. Because his brother, Feldmarschall Archduke Charles, Duke of Teschen, also refused the command, the emperor appointed another brother, the 18-year-old Archduke John.
1656955208254.jpeg

Clearly, the inexperienced youth could not cope with this enormous responsibility, so the emperor nominated Franz von Lauer as John's second-in-command and promoted him to Feldzeugmeister. John was directed to follow Lauer's instructions. To further complicate the clumsy command structure, the aggressive Oberst (Colonel) Franz von Weyrother was named John's chief of staff [5].

The armistice was renewed in September but lapsed on 12 November. By this time, Weyrother had convinced John and Lauer to adopt an offensive posture. Weyrother's plan called for crushing the French left wing near Landshut and lunging south to cut Moreau's communications west of Munich. After a few days of marching, it became obvious that the Austrian army was too slow to execute such an ambitious plan. So Lauer convinced the archduke to convert the enterprise into a direct attack on Munich. Even so, the sudden advance caught Moreau's somewhat scattered French forces by surprise and achieved local superiority. In the Battle of Ampfing on 1 December, the Austrians drove back part of General of Division Paul Grenier's Left Wing, which made Austrians ecstatic even if they suffered 3,000 casualties vs. 1,700 French. Archduke John and Weyrother overrode Lauer's cautious counsel and launched an all-out pursuit of an enemy they believed to be fleeing. However, Moreau decided to stand and fight, deploying his army in open ground near Hohenlinden. To approach his position, the Austro-Bavarians had to advance directly west through heavily wooded terrain.

Battle of Hohenlinden. 3 December 1800. According to the battle plan drawn up by Weyrother, the Austrians advanced west in four corps which had to contend with terrible roads and snow squalls. [6] Upon approaching to the French front the columns launched series of the disjointed attacks, some of them being divided into the smaller columns to help already engaged Austrian columns or simply to be able to pass through the forest.
The French launched a concentrated attack against what was Austrian “left center” column, smashed it and kept kicking.
1656957018553.png

Archduke John escaped capture on a fast horse, but many of his men were not so lucky and thousands of demoralized Austrians and Bavarians surrendered. In addition, over 60 artillery pieces fell into French hands. In round numbers, Austrian-Bavarian losses amounted to 4,600 killed and wounded, plus 8,950 soldiers and 76 guns captured. The French admitted casualties of 1,839 soldiers, one cannon, and two caissons. Since several units failed to turn in reports, Moreau's army probably lost at least 3,000 men. Archduke John blamed all his subordinates except for Weyrother. Bavarian commander blamed Austrian ignorance and ineptitude. Archduke John ordered his demoralized army into a retreat. Moreau pursued slowly until 8 December. Then, in 15 days, his forces advanced 300 km, captured 20,000 Austrians and in a series of actions at Neumarkt am Wallersee, Frankenmarkt, Schwanenstadt, Vöcklabruck, Lambach and Kremsmünster the Austrian army lost cohesion. On 17 December, when Archduke Charles relieved his brother John, the Austrian army was practically a rabble.[29]With French forces 80 km from Vienna, Charles requested an armistice, which Moreau granted on 25 December.
1656957702843.png

With Massena finally achieving success in Switzerland, Austria was ready to negotiate the peace. On 27 December, Francis II informed King George III of the United Kingdom that he was unable to meet his obligations as an ally. On 31 December, Cobenzl informed the French that he would negotiate without Britain. Upon receiving the news Britain offered a naval armistice for indefinite period of time. The offer was accepted [7] .

Peace of Lunéville.
The peace treaty between France and Austria was signed in the Treaty House of Lunéville on 9 February 1801. The signatory parties were the French Republic and Emperor Francis II, who signed on his own behalf as ruler of the hereditary domains of the House of Austria and on behalf of the Holy Roman Empire. It largely confirmed the treaty of Campo Formio:

Treaty of Marseilles [9]. There was a separate, less advertised set of negotiations which was happening in parallel and involved France on one side, Russia, Naples and Ottoman Empire on the other with the British representative being present, on the Russian initiative, unofficially as an observer. Purpose of that treaty was to settle things in Italy and Egypt, in other words, places and issues regarding which the Consulate was prepared to be accommodating because they were nothing but trouble:
  • France will remove its forces from Naples [10] and Central Italy.
  • Territories in Central Italy will be returned to their owners.
  • France and the Kingdom of Naples are making peace.
  • The Septinsular Republic is recognized as an independent state under nominal Russian and Ottoman sovereignty.
  • France is going to evacuate the Army of Egypt with the Russian and Ottoman Empires helping to negotiate a safe passage with Britain. Until then the French presence will be limited to the Northern Egypt and the Sultan, Emperor of Russia (and the British government, if it is willing to do so) will have to send their representatives to oversee a peaceful behavior by all sides involved. Russian-Ottoman squadron will be allowed to Alexandria harbor as a guarantor of the peaceful behavior.
Treaty of Amiens was agreed upon on August 1 1801 [11] putting the end to the War of the Coalitions (or of the non-existent “Second Coalition”).

Great Britain wanted the peace to rebuild restoration of trade with continental Europe. It also wanted to end its isolation from other powers, and achieved that goal by a cooperation with Russia that provided the momentum to agree to the treaty with France. Also the government had to mollify the antiwar Whig opposition in Parliament. Now, with the Consulate in charge and openly espousing the “defensive” foreign policy, the time looked right for negotiations. A more than reasonable Treaty of Luneville confirmed that the consuls are really willing to stick to the declared policy and, what was important, to limit French involvement beyond its borders. In November 1801, Marquess Cornwallis was sent to France with plenipotentiary powers to negotiate a final agreement.
1656962346487.jpeg

The Consulate also wanted a sustainable peace to start the major domestic reforms and restoring Republic’s domestic order and economy.The French side was represented by Joseph Bonaparte. Bernadotte insisted upon appointment of his brother-in-law pointing to his help in organizing the coup. As a “byproduct” he wanted a complete rehabilitation of the family damaged by the unfortunate general and, of course, why not to promote your close friend and reliable ally?
1656962449001.jpeg

The 3rd participant was the Batavian Republic which had to negotiate the issues of its colonies and underscore its position as an independent state. It was represented by Rutger Jan Schimmelpenninck.
1656962516511.jpeg

Kingdom of Spain was represented by Don José Nicolás de Azara y Perera.
1656962674388.jpeg

The treaty, beyond confirming "peace, friendship, and good understanding," called for the following:
  • The restoration of prisoners and hostages including safe conduct for the Army of Egypt.
  • Britain to return the Cape Colony to the Batavian Republic but its ports will be open to the ships of all nations.
  • Britain to return most of its captured Dutch Guiana to the Batavian Republic.
  • Spain agreeing to British rule of Trinidad.
  • The Batavian Republic to cede Ceylon, previously under control of the United Provinces and the Dutch East India Company (VOC), to Britain.
  • Ports of the VOC in Java and Sumatra will be open to the trade.
  • Ports of EIC will be open to the trade.
  • French Guiana to have its borders defined.
  • French colonies on the Caribbean captured by Britain will be returned to France.
  • Malta, Gozo, and Comino to be given to Britain but the Knights Hospitaller will retain ownership of all their non-military property. The ports will be open to the ships of all nations.
  • Gibraltar to remain under British rule.
  • Menorca be returned to Spain.
  • The House of Orange-Nassau to be compensated for its losses in the Netherlands. Batavian Republic is not going to be responsible for the payment.
  • The Septinsular Republic is being recognized by the signatory parties.
As a result of these treaties everybody got something to be happy about and while France did not get any major territorial acquisitions, relief of the troops stuck in Egypt was a major PR coup and so was European acceptance of the new borders and the sister republics. Accessibility of the British and Dutch ports in Asia also could become a bonus.

Back to the main subject. The reproaching between the Consulate France and Russian Empire started almost immediatelyo after the news of a coup reached Moscow. The trial balloon had been launched via salons of Mmes de Staël and de Recamier who never dropped their contacts with the foreign dignitaries. Information was passed that a new government is planning to abandon the aggressive foreign policies of their predecessors and to curb the revolutionary excesses domestically. Of course, a friendly help of the Emperor of Russia in restoring peace in Europe is going to be absolutely indispensable, blahblahblah. Paul was not a fool and a chance to boost Russian and his personal prestige in Europe was not missed on him so there was a favorable response and soon enough the level of diplomatic contacts had been upgraded to the level allowing the meaningful discussions with understanding that after the peace treaty they could be upgraded all the way to the plenipotentiary level.

Treaty of Marseilles made peace an accomplished fact and also put both the Kingdom of Naples and Ottoman Empire in a certain debt to Russia. By that time Emperor Paul was unofficially informed by one of the consuls, just as a friendly gesture, that a famous French general with his retinue is in the Neapolitan captivity and it will be a big favor to everybody if the Emperor negotiate their release while persuading the said general not to return to France because this may put the Consulate into unpleasant situation of being forced to put their former comrade in arms on trial that, in the best case scenario, is going to ruin his future career (verbally, it was communicated that if the said career is not going to be ruined, the well-known character of the general in question in conjunction with his great military talent may eventually result in disruption of the European peace). OTOH, if the general in question is persuaded to enter the Russian service, he may prove to be a major bonus for the Russian Empire.

Military reputation of general Bonaparte was well-known and the top Russian commander, field marshal Suvorov, gave him a gushing assessment: “Oh, how this young Bonaparte walks! He's a hero, he's a miracle hero, he's a sorcerer! He defeats both nature and people. He walked around the Alps as if they weren't there at all. He hid their formidable peaks in his pocket, and hid his army in the right sleeve of his uniform. It seemed that the enemy only noticed his soldiers when he directed them like Jupiter his lightning, sowing fear everywhere and striking the scattered crowds of Austrians and Piedmontese. Oh, how he walks! As soon as he embarked on the path of military leaders, he broke Gordian’s knot of tactics. Without worrying about the number, he attacks the enemy everywhere and breaks him completely. He knows the irresistible power of the onslaught - it's no longer necessary. His opponents will persist in his sluggish tactics, subordinate to cabinet feathers, and he has military council in his head. In action, he is free as the air he breathes. He moves his regiments, beats and wins according to his will!” [12]

Information was received, processed and acted upon. The Russian ambassador who came to visit the prisoners had with him, besides the generous offer from Paul, the letters from the Bonaparte family, from his almost relative Consul Bernadotte and from his former fiancé Desire Bernadotte. The general message, besides expected hugs and kisses, was that as of now he is distinctively unpopular in France and that a newly-acquired Bernadotte’s position may save him from court martial but hardly will change his image to the better in a view of the angry letters which are now coming from Egypt through the Russian intermediaries. Two other consuls are not his enemies but are not willing to risk their positions by openly going against the flow. “S—t in the stockings”, his former backer Talleyrand, is now openly against him. Massena, Dumas and some other prominent figures are making a big issue out of him abandoning his troops, etc. On Bernadotte’s request Fouche curbed activities of the most active journalists and now there is a gossip that Bernadotte is willing to break a law to save his relative, etc.

The bottom line was that at least for a while it would be prudent to look for a favorable alternative outside France. Bernadotte’s letter stated that he took a liberty to recommend his “brother” Napoleon to Emperor Paul providing Napoleon will be willing to accept such an opportunity. If not, he is ready to back Napoleon in every way possible upon his return to France but there are no guarantees and result can be a complete ruin of the family. Joseph and Lucien were seemingly sharing his assessment of the situation.

Offer from Paul was nice and clear:
  • Rank of the Lieutenant General in the Russian army with a position of Emperor’s personal military advisor and Inspector-General of Infantry.
  • Promise of independent command with elevation to full general in the case of war. On this subject further information will be disclosed in Moscow at the meeting with the Emperor.
  • Promise that he will never be requested to fight against France.
  • House in Moscow, estate near the capital and guaranteed annual income, besides the salary, of 50,000 rubles.
  • Promise to arrange for a formal dropping of all charges in France and an official document regarding his retirement from the service.
  • Mme Bonaparte with the children will be able to join him, all travel expenses paid. If he wishes, the same goes for other members of his family (additional allowances will be discussed).
  • The officers accompanying him are going to be offered Russian service with the appropriate ranks. Financial accommodations will be discussed individually. Otherwise, their (and his) safe travel to France will be arranged.
Of course, such an offer could be refused but, all things considered…..

[2] As in OTL when he was Councilor of the State during the Consulate. Napoleon, arguing against it, insisted that the offensive policy is actually a defensive one because it moves borders further away from France.
[3] Which was a polite BS because Napoleon never considered Moreau his equal and most probably he was correct: Moreau was a very good general of the “old school” but hardly an innovative military genius like Nappy. Just trying to be fair. 😉
[4] This was a classic example of the “old school” warfare: agreeing to armistice without any pressing need and without gaining any serious advantage that would led to the negotiations.
[5] In OTL he planned the epic march of the Russian troops under Alexander Suvorov across the Saint Gotthard Pass so “well” that it took all Suvorov’s talent and high quality of his troops to avoid a complete annihilation. Of course, this was a trifle comparing to the masterpiece of his career, a battle plan for Austerlitz. Small wonder that Hohenlinden ended the way it did. As Count de Segur remarked in his memoirs, the well-educated officers were one of Austrian major problems. 😂
[6] He loved advance in the columns (as in his plan for Austerlitz: “the first column is marching …, the second column is marching…, the third column is marching…”) and the trifles like bad roads or weather conditions could be safely ignored.
[7] In OTL the offer was made on 10 September 1800 and rejected by the 1st Consul.
[8] In OTL the “compensation” was happening under the French control causing easy to avoid bad feelings and, typically, Nappy revoking an earlier promise regarding Salzburg.
[9] Only ITTL.
[10] This was one of the steps to start peace talks with Britain.
[11] In OTL Preliminaries were signed in London on 1 October 1801. King George proclaimed the cessation of hostilities on 12 October.
[12] From a widely quoted Suvorov’s letter to his nephew. There are seemingly some doubts about authenticity but who cares.

Honestly this is a pretty good direction, Napoleon serving in Russia is a first, but also because republican France and it's sister republics get the best deal they could've realistically get without making it seem was a defeat they get to trade and use the ports of British held territory and haven't gotten enemity of the rest of Europe because of prolonged wars, now I wanna see what they'll do with Haiti and deal with it...

Also good for Russia getting even more influence on the Ottomans and Naples, exercise some good soft power which will allow them to focus more on Central Asia as well as far East.

Well this is interesting, normally alliance with the Ottoman's, influence in Naples and Russian access to the Est.Med would ring a bells in London, but given that British are kinda isolated and recent (still existing) French scare and rise of French influence probably counter's that nicely, it also helps that Russia is being friendly power and is not interested in India , plus all those nice acquisitions in Med and around the world help.

Now when we are by the Ottoman's, Serbian uprising will happen soon, at the start it wasn't anti Ottoman and Rebels even worked together with the Ottoman's against rebellious Janissaries only rebelling later over Russia guaranteeing their autonomy.

With Russia out of the way Austria could potentially take that role. Now a lot depends on Russian position and how this is handled, if Russia stick's to it's existing policy of allowing Austria to claim the N. Balkans then Austria invades and probably wins, if Russia decides to press Austrian weakness from coalition wars then Austria will back off (it doesn't stray from existing position, but it plays at Austrian weakness, not to mention Austria doesn't get a habit of seeking recompense on the Balkans, they already got it in Venice and some German lands, Prussia could be a ready ally in this, otherwise there's really no use in appeasing Austria in the Balkans as they'll always want more, especially when Russia can enjoy trade concessions there ) , in that case with Austrian support uncertain Serbia probably will accept autonomy with Sultan as guarantee , this will in turn butterfly away second serbian uprising and potential excuse for Austria to intervene a down the line.

Last edited:
It also - unless the actors in this play are hit by the stupid stick which is not unlikely - butterfly a lot of reasons for the rest of the coalition wars.