No French Revolution

Nonny

Banned
Is there any way the French Revolution could not have occurred or have been delayed? If the Royalty and the whole tranche of French aristocracy and elite had saved themselves from the guilliotine, by either crushing the Revolution in its incipient stages, or by giving the masses basically what they wanted, how might French history have differed from OTL up to 1840, with them still basically ruling and with no Napoleonic Era?

If Louis had had an inch of spine within him, he could have taken the helm of the Estates-General and positioned hismelf as the protector of the Third Estate's rights, and gone down forever as France's most loved king, with the Bourbon's surviving today.

Or not have him remove the privilege of rank that angered the nobility; with them still backing the king, he could have introduced very minor reforms but still keep most of his power.

Faeelin

Banned
Kuralyov said:
If Louis had had an inch of spine within him, he could have taken the helm of the Estates-General and positioned hismelf as the protector of the Third Estate's rights, and gone down forever as France's most loved king, with the Bourbon's surviving today.

Or not have him remove the privilege of rank that angered the nobility; with them still backing the king, he could have introduced very minor reforms but still keep most of his power.

And of course, there were a lot of fun austrian monarchs in this era, who wanted to reform but found France a bigger threat.

It's commonly assumed I hate monarchies. This isn't the case. I merely think, in the grand scheme of things, they have been measured and found wanting. (In this respect I'm reminded of comments by an archbishop in mainz or cologne in this era, who disliked the emigres because they either let the revolution succeed by fleeing, or got the people so pissed off that they deserve to lose).

@Kuralyov: AFAIR at some point during the FR Louis declared his content with the reformers - but at that point, it was too late already. He hesitated too long. Plus, he had a wife who was quite unpopular among the people (they called her "madame deficit").

@Faeelin: Which Hapsburg kings/emperors do you mean? Joseph II? He certainly had some strange ideas... he wanted to make the Austrians bury their loved ones in sacks instead of more expensive caskets... he had some good ideas, but no clue about what people want... I'm starting to wonder whether he had something like AS (not that I think that would make him a bad guy, but people tend to misunderstand that).

Faeelin

Banned
Max Sinister said:
@Faeelin: Which Hapsburg kings/emperors do you mean? Joseph II? He certainly had some strange ideas... he wanted to make the Austrians bury their loved ones in sacks instead of more expensive caskets... he had some good ideas, but no clue about what people want... I'm starting to wonder whether he had something like AS (not that I think that would make him a bad guy, but people tend to misunderstand that).

AS?

Him and Leopold II.