No Classic Mesoamerican Collapse

A lot of people have heard about how in the 800's AD Maya civilization took a turn for the worse and collapsed, leaving the largest kingdoms and the entire Maya heartland in ruin. What less people are aware of is that this happened only shortly after something similar happened throughout the rest of Mesoamerica. Most notably with Teotihuacan and its entire empire pretty much disappearing. Now, what if it hadn't? And nor did the Maya and all the other states that went as well. There are various supposed reasons for the collapse, so lets assume most of them can be averted or dealt with. One problem was population. The Maya area had upwards of 10 million people, which is a very large number for anyone at that time, let alone in such a relatively small area with thin soil. They did come up with ways to try and sustain their massive population with many various agricultural techniques that yielded rich rewards, but it might've been too late and in any case it didn't help much when a massive drought of biblical proportions struck. But let's say we handwave the drought away or assume they put even more effort into developing the land (in a less harmful way) and did it earlier.

This leads us to problem #2, political instability. One of the reasons they weren't able to sustain such a large population even with advanced and intensive agriculture was the instability of the region and constant warfare that increased in intensity around this time. One way to avert this would be to avert the creation of the Petexbatun polity that was centered around the ruins of Dos Pilas. In addition to that, it might be necessary to reduce some of the dramatic success of Tikal against Calakmul, Calakmul's large hegemonical empire probably kept a lot of order before they were drastically weakened by some of Tikal's victories. 2 large competing superpowers is better than 1 weakened superpower and a massive number of kingdoms that hate eachother and are constantly fighting to the death. However, this doesn't explain what happened to Teotihuacan, which leads me to point #3, deforestation.

This was previously the number one theory, though I suspect it wasn't quite as much of a factor as the other and was a result of them rather than a cause. But nevertheless, the Maya used up trees at a high rate, yet they were smart enough to see that getting rid of the all the forests was a very bad idea, so they kept preserves and had limits. Teotihuacan however seems not to have had limits to their usage of the forest, and so deforestation caused a general lack of useful resources and soil erosion. This in addition to droughts and famine (likely caused by erosion) led to some massive unrest that possibly undermined the empire. To help avoid all this and a collapse of the entire city, it might be necessary to weaken the empire though. Let's say some setbacks result in the rulers of Teotihuacan losing prestige and influence, therefore the empire in general is decentralized, loses some territory on the Maya frontier, and other cities like Cholula, Cantona, Cacaxtla, and the like gain some influence, enough that they become major players in a weakened empire that still pays their respects to the symbolic capital of Teotihuacan. Meanwhile people leave and start settling the Valley of Mexico, perhaps even establishing chinampas and a city on the Lake of Mexico several centuries early. Similarly, people in the Maya region start settling areas like Honduras and El Salvador in large numbers, establishing colonies for lack of a better term.

So, this leaves us at the time the Maya were supposed to collapse IOTL with several large empires dotting the face of Mesoamerica and the civilizations themselves growing, expanding the borders of what we'd consider to be the region further south and east into Central America. Teotihuacan, even if it isn't quite the imperial power of the past, still remains a prestigious city and still larger than any other. Their rulers carry weight, albeit not the military strength they used to have, yet they can still control what goes on in the heartland of Central Mexico. They have new cities springing up a short distance away in what would IOTL be known as the Valley of Mexico. These cities provide lots of crops from the chinampas and terraces surrounded the Lake of Mexico. Other cities in the region like Cholula and Cantona vie for practical dominance, perhaps while still claiming to be vassals of Teotihuacan. Maya influence in the region is notable, with Maya artisans and migrants setting up many barrios in Mexican cities. Epi-Olmec writing is spreading in use in the region, with Teotihuacano pictographs (the antecedent of Aztec pictographs) having some symbolical importance but declining in use in favor of more practical true writing. The Zapotecs in Oaxaca are very little changed from OTL, their Mixtec underlings in the valleys below their fastnesses are rising in power and growing resentful of dominance from Monte Alban just like OTL, but since Monte Alban still has connections in Mexico, they don't sit on the verge of being utterly destroyed. It's not a golden age, but the Classic Era kingdoms and cities of Mexico remain in existence and are continuing to advance and grow at a steady pace instead of hectic rises and falls.

Meanwhile, to the east, the Maya are in a complex situation. There are now several large kingdoms that have been growing in power at the expense of smaller polities that have been forced to submit or fall. It is survival of the fittest. Despite this seemingly bleak statement, the situation is actually more peaceful than OTL. Less petty conflicts interrupt the cycle of farming or the usual trade routes. People can prosper in relative peace, though there are still occasional wars for dominance of specific regions that are as violent as any Maya conflict. Nevertheless, while the political situation centralizes with more large kingdoms and empires forming, actual kingdoms are decentralizing. In many places the local ruler falls from supreme importance, and while still retaining control, the council houses become a staple of politics that sometimes keep kings in check. There are less massive, monumental building projects that consume needless amounts of resources. And as their people spread to create settlements in Honduras away from the dense clutter of the Peten and Yucatan, traders go further than ever before. Eventually they go far enough to meet traders venturing from far off South American empires. They receive new animals and crops, in exchange for giving jade and crops like maize and tobacco. The South Americans were particularly interested by the writing the Maya used.

So with a Mesoamerican world like this forming around 8-900 AD, what are your thoughts on how they might develop and what might the period of contact look with a wildly different civilization that evolves from this situation?

I wonder what happens if/when the Europeans encounter an advanced civilization fully intact in the region. The Mayans held out for a very long time IOTL, so what might happen with this ITTL?

I wonder what happens if/when the Europeans encounter an advanced civilization fully intact in the region. The Mayans held out for a very long time IOTL, so what might happen with this ITTL?

Depends, if we kept the biologic shock, Mayans could have likely been badly weakened, with a probable disorganization and inner conflicts...

Depends, if we kept the biologic shock, Mayans could have likely been badly weakened, with a probable disorganization and inner conflicts...
They had inner conflicts IOTL, but with much weaker states to begin with. Before contact there were 16 "petty states" in Yucatan all feuding with eachother that were aligned into roughly 3 main factions. And none of these states had any cities approaching the size of Classic cities, and were much weaker all around for the most part, save a couple advances in warfare. Yet they were able to hold on for several decades, repelling several invasions and dealing the Spanish grievous losses. Then the even smaller states out in the Peten held out another century afterwards, and the Quiche also had a good accounting of themselves. But here, we're talking about having a couple of massive empires that had several more centuries to advance without collapsing. They would have several times the population of the Postclassic Maya and presumably be more advanced and possibly more unified. Even with the same proportion of losses from plague, we're still talking about a much larger population that survives, and they'd take fewer losses from warfare which was also a big killer.

And since we're talking about 700 years of history between the non-Collapse and the Spanish Contact, they probably would've changed a lot. It might even be possible to have a single large empire comprising most of the Maya. One theory, that has some epigraphic evidence backing it, is that the Maya saw themselves as being part of at least 13 provinces, called Tzuk'. These mostly did not exist as actual political units, they were more symbolic as kingdoms' borders fluctuated all the time whereas the borders of each Tzuk' stayed constant. But they had a method of political organization that relied both on the Tzuk' and the calendar itself. One idea I had is that in these intervening years where theoretically anything could happen, the remaining independent states of the Maya make a deal to have the calendrical organization based on the May cycles (not May as in our month) be paramount, while they can govern their own polities rulership of all the Maya lands would be shared and rotated on this basis. So while it's not perfect, you have most of the Maya living in peace with one another as an almost solidified empire. That would be interesting to see if this "League of Uluumil Kutz Yetel Ceh" has gotten in stride by the time the Europeans come knocking. And if Teotihuacan still exists as a political unit, the Mexican kingdoms can rally around them as well as they probably wouldn't be back to being the dominant tribute-sucking empire they used to be, rather just a symbolic head.

What intrigues me the most are the possible advances that can be made within these 700 years between non-Collapse and Contact. In the Late Classic alone the Maya made many accomplishments, both architectural and scientific. Now they could borrow stuff from Mexico like bows and metal and use them to create much more. Even without contacts with the Chimu and other South Americans they could be very, very strong. Though I don't know much about South America, I think the Chimu and others would benefit more from contact than the Maya.

My comment wasn't regarding the possibility of mesoamerican peoples to create larger kingdoms or anything.

Just that the mass-scale epidemic would have been really problematic against Europeans. I mean, Black Plague, with other epidemics that were somewhat favorised by this one, carried its lot of wars, subsequent social troubles and big changes in mentality in Europe, and we have maybe 33/50% of the population dying.

With the much higher proprtion of dead that colombian schock carried, around 75% i think, even the more strong empire would have serious issues of production, supply and organisation.

I know what you are saying, I was just saying that the larger (and more unified) empires in this scenario would make the plagues less effective than they were OTL. Even if you have the same amount of people dying, the kingdoms are more stable TTL and there's a larger population of people to survive and resist. Even if they are still conquered their culture would definitely come through more intact. And that's a big if, Cortez's conquests relied on luck as much as it did on skill and plague killing most of his enemies. And he was a rebel. The Spanish were planning on treating the native empires as sovereign nations IOTL before Cortez did his thing. Here, assuming Cortez doesn't try at all or still does but fails, the Spanish would definitely tread careful and treat the local kings with some respect. They can't exactly sail large armies over with speed all at once. So there might not even be a massive war of conquest. The plagues would still cause widespread turmoil, chaos, and all that jazz, but a more politically stable scene and history like this one might be able to weather it much better than the weaker states like the Postclassic Mexican and Maya could IOTL with Spanish conquistadors at their throats.

The 700 extra years of development may include a peak followed by ossification and slow decline, though I'm under the impression that Mesoamerica actually tends to experience catastrophic downfalls than long decadences (might it be something related to the kind of documents we have?).
However, 700 of unhindered and uninterrupted progress in most of Mesoamerica seem to me a bit of a stretch. Not impossibile at all, of course, but it is a long time. The collapse may be delayed of, say, 500 years, so that you have the contact at the beginning of recovery. Or you could have a less severe period of chaos at some point followed by some kind of reorganization that avoids the risk of an ossificated tradition in 1500 AD.
Another question I have, is that I always though that Mesomerican civilization usually lived on a very thin edge, especially ecologically. Teotihuacan artworks I have seen struck me as conveying a deep sense of fear and precariousness of everything, and I would relate this to a rather concrete possibility of disaster Mesoamericans were living with.
Maybe I am completely wrong.

NothingNow

Banned
However, 700 of unhindered and uninterrupted progress in most of Mesoamerica seem to me a bit of a stretch. Not impossibile at all, of course, but it is a long time. The collapse may be delayed of, say, 500 years, so that you have the contact at the beginning of recovery. Or you could have a less severe period of chaos at some point followed by some kind of reorganization that avoids the risk of an ossificated tradition in 1500 AD.
Not necessarily. You could likely just end up with a situation like India, where after the Late Harappan collapse, you've got the Vedic civilization on the rise in ~1700BC which blended into the Classical Period (1-1270AD) and then that further ran into the Late Medieval, and then Early Modern Periods, establishing a ~3000 year chronology without such a collapse. And further travel, with say the Mayanization of Antillean societies and spread down to the Chibcha-speaking areas, you might not be able to have a collapse, just sort of a rotten core.

Another question I have, is that I always though that Mesomerican civilization usually lived on a very thin edge, especially ecologically. Teotihuacan artworks I have seen struck me as conveying a deep sense of fear and precariousness of everything, and I would relate this to a rather concrete possibility of disaster Mesoamericans were living with.
Maybe I am completely wrong.
Maybe, but they did live in a pretty climactically nasty area, with Hurricanes, earthquakes and Volcanos causing problems, but there's also the issue of inherent biases within yourself coloring your interpretation of the Art. It's actually a pretty common thing, and fairly understandable, but one does need the context of the art to appreciate it's intended symbology.

And as their people spread to create settlements in Honduras away from the dense clutter of the Peten and Yucatan, traders go further than ever before. Eventually they go far enough to meet traders venturing from far off South American empires. They receive new animals and crops, in exchange for giving jade and crops like maize and tobacco. The South Americans were particularly interested by the writing the Maya used.

Any chance that this could be paralleled by enhanced trade with early Mississippians and a cultural exchange there as well? Perhaps via coastal trade routes...

EDIT: Another thought... regarding the South American interest in Mayan writings... would other cultures adopt Mayan hieroglyphs, or create there own versions of them?

Other Mesoamerican cultures already had their own forms of writing. The Maya weren't the first, and during the Classic Era besides Maya glyphs there was Zapotec and Epi-Olmec writing. The Teotihuacanos used some form of pictographs, but I have seen pictures of Teotihuacano artifacts inscribed with Epi-Olmec writing, and it would be more convenient for them to have true writing.

Hnau

Banned
Oh, cool idea 9FH. :) I can guess we could look at how the Europeans adopted the potato in order to determine a basic timescale for how fast the potato catches on in Mesoamerica. I'm guessing it'll take about a century for it to really become accepted throughout the various cultures. That would lead to a crazy population boom.

9FH, eventually the peoples of the *Valley of Mexico are going to out-compete Teotihuacan, in which case there may be something of a civil war or political reshuffling. And the later introduction of the potato will lead to higher pop. in the highlands, and as such a shift of power to the highland areas.

NothingNow

Banned
Any chance that this could be paralleled by enhanced trade with early Mississippians and a cultural exchange there as well? Perhaps via coastal trade routes...

That's easy enough if you're willing to run a route during hurricane season, and you've got the skills to sail out a bit, as the Taino did. Hell, we know the Taino and a couple other groups did it IOTL.

That's easy enough if you're willing to run a route during hurricane season, and you've got the skills to sail out a bit, as the Taino did. Hell, we know the Taino and a couple other groups did it IOTL.

If ir's credible to have the Caribbean area occupied by 1492, I like the justice of Columbus being kidnapped for some New World potentate.

But they did live in a pretty climactically nasty area, with Hurricanes, earthquakes and Volcanos causing problems,

It was exactly my point.

My interpretation of the art is biased, of course, it was mostly human sacrifice related stuff in some way or another, not a very pleasant thought I have to admit. AFAIK, Mesoamerican mythology displays quite a good deal of catastrophic events, and this oriented my impressions too I think.

If ir's credible to have the Caribbean area occupied by 1492, I like the justice of Columbus being kidnapped for some New World potentate.
Well even IOTL the Postclassic Maya did a lot of sea-travel around there. Columbus actually encountered a large Maya trade canoe on his last voyage. If the Maya never collapsed so catastrophically and continued growing, it's feasible if not probable that they'd at least set up trade posts and colonies on Caribbean islands to tap into the Caribbean trade. Would be an easy way to make contact with Mississippian mound-builders. I can't see the Maya kidnapping Columbus randomly, him being a foreign emissary in practice here, but Taino or some other tribe capturing him and dragging him toward the local Maya noble would be possible and interesting.

Hnau

Banned
Hmmm... I really liked the idea of this timeline.

So we have a Teotihuacano Empire in Mesoamerica, though in practice Teotihuacan is merely a symbolic capital and instead its more like a confederation of city-states, am I right? What about the Purepecha, the Tarascan state, would they still create a civilized state (sooner?) and would they accept Teotihuacano hegemony or strike out on their own?

I'm thinking the potato takes about a hundred years to spread throughout the Mesoamerican population, and could cause the population to boom quite a bit. The population surplus will probably lead to Mayan expansion into the Caribbean islands and Teotihuacano expansion northward. Contact with the Mississippians is likely by the year 1000 CE, not to mention the Muisca. I'm thinking bronze-working is going to take off pretty quickly with the more energetic economy, greater population, and increased trade. Now, there's actually a lot of tin in Colombia, maybe more than were available to the Aztecs, so as soon as bronze-working is introduced there, the Muisca are going to find themselves sitting on top of a valuable commodity. With plentiful natural resources, new crops and new technologies, the Muisca could quickly create an empire of their own.

With the Teotihuacanos enjoying a period of peace and little political tension with their neighbors, there probably won't be enough prisoners to go around to supply the temples with a constant stream of human sacrifices. Instead, human sacrifice could become a voluntary ritual and relatively de-emphasized in general Teotihuacano culture. As such, Mesoamerican philosophy might not be so nihilistic and fatalistic.

The problem with technology that I see is that the Mesoamerican civilizations could only reach the advanced end of the bronze age, and even that would be difficult. There's not a lot of bronze to go around. There's a little bit of iron ore in central Mexico, but I only see three regions in the Americas that could really pull off a shift from bronze-working to iron-working: the Wisconsin area with the Mesabi range, Venezuela with those iron mines along the Orinoco, and of course the Andes. To me, it seems like the Mesoamericans without European contact would have stagnated in the bronze age for a millennium. They'd have to wait for the Incas to change their cultural views on metals and harness the true potential of iron or for bronze-working to percolate up the Mississippi or the Orinoco. Either development will take centuries.

Meanwhile, with the greater population, major diseases are inevitable. It might the some American analogue of the Black Plague that eventually shakes up Pax-Mesoamericana and leads to some nasty wars and political reshuffling.

Hmmm... I really liked the idea of this timeline.

So we have a Teotihuacano Empire in Mesoamerica, though in practice Teotihuacan is merely a symbolic capital and instead its more like a confederation of city-states, am I right? What about the Purepecha, the Tarascan state, would they still create a civilized state (sooner?) and would they accept Teotihuacano hegemony or strike out on their own?

I'm thinking the potato takes about a hundred years to spread throughout the Mesoamerican population, and could cause the population to boom quite a bit. The population surplus will probably lead to Mayan expansion into the Caribbean islands and Teotihuacano expansion northward. Contact with the Mississippians is likely by the year 1000 CE, not to mention the Muisca. I'm thinking bronze-working is going to take off pretty quickly with the more energetic economy, greater population, and increased trade. Now, there's actually a lot of tin in Colombia, maybe more than were available to the Aztecs, so as soon as bronze-working is introduced there, the Muisca are going to find themselves sitting on top of a valuable commodity. With plentiful natural resources, new crops and new technologies, the Muisca could quickly create an empire of their own.

With the Teotihuacanos enjoying a period of peace and little political tension with their neighbors, there probably won't be enough prisoners to go around to supply the temples with a constant stream of human sacrifices. Instead, human sacrifice could become a voluntary ritual and relatively de-emphasized in general Teotihuacano culture. As such, Mesoamerican philosophy might not be so nihilistic and fatalistic.

The problem with technology that I see is that the Mesoamerican civilizations could only reach the advanced end of the bronze age, and even that would be difficult. There's not a lot of bronze to go around. There's a little bit of iron ore in central Mexico, but I only see three regions in the Americas that could really pull off a shift from bronze-working to iron-working: the Wisconsin area with the Mesabi range, Venezuela with those iron mines along the Orinoco, and of course the Andes. To me, it seems like the Mesoamericans without European contact would have stagnated in the bronze age for a millennium. They'd have to wait for the Incas to change their cultural views on metals and harness the true potential of iron or for bronze-working to percolate up the Mississippi or the Orinoco. Either development will take centuries.

Meanwhile, with the greater population, major diseases are inevitable. It might the some American analogue of the Black Plague that eventually shakes up Pax-Mesoamericana and leads to some nasty wars and political reshuffling.

I'm not so sure about diseases. Most of the Eurasian ones come from adaptations of pathogens already common among herding domesticates such as cattle and sheeps (smallpox, for example), that America largely lacked. Something could emerge from turkeys or guinea pigs, but neither species forms large herds in the wild AFAIK, so it's a bit less likely. Historically, nothing like that happened OTL, even when Mexican population reached quite high levels.
Also, I don't know about the Teotihuacano, but the Mexica seemed to have a better grasp of hygien that contemporary Europeans. Their cities seemed less unhealthily crowded and at least Tenochtitlan had a secure supply of fresh water and very good sewer systems.

The main difficulty with bronze besides procuring the proper materials is creating an incentive to use them to a significant degree. Even the Mesoamericans had copper tools and weapons by the Postclassic, but they saw them as inferior to flint and razors, and rightly so. Copper bent easily and while it was hard and not brittle, it lacked the cutting power of stone, which is really useful in an environment without heavy armor or anything like it. Copper axes were probably more often used for cutting wood. If bronze does take hold however, I imagine they could do a lot with it.

About sacrifice in Teotihuacan, I'm not really sure that idea holds because I don't think they took it to quite the same degree as the Aztecs. Remember, in the Aztec Triple Alliance it was Tlacaelel who actually created the idea that a constant stream of sacrifices was necessary to save the world, this made a good excuse for constant expansion after all. But I don't think they had the same thing going on in Teotihuacan. They probably sacrificed people for the same reasons as the Maya, gratefulness to the gods, extreme form of prayer, and to slaughter enemy warriors deemed too noble for slavery and too dangerous to be hostages or puppets. In any case, Teotihuacan could probably do well to use more ideas from extended Maya contact. OTL they had Maya barrios in the city along with various other ethnicities. So I'm not sure why they still used old, inferior pictographs when they could've copied the Maya and adopted writing, though they'd probably use the closer Epi-Olmec script if they lasted long enough to get the idea in their heads. Whichever script they adopt, it'll be sure to spread throughout the breadth of their domains, and so true writing would be adopted by all of Mesoamerica.

And yeah, here Teotihuacan would be more like a confederation, albeit a very loose and fragile one as when Teotihuacan's influence wanes, Cholula and the others are sure to compete to fill the vacuum. This is probably a good thing as it'll boost urbanization and development in areas outside just the city of Teotihuacan itself. On a related note, but not exactly pertinent to this thread, any hypotheses on what language the city spoke and what ethnicity they were? It's a problem I can't find many clues on and has been bothering me a long while.