No Cecil John Rhodes

OTL, Rhodes was a sickly child who was sent to South Africa in the hopes that the climate would improve his health. But what if the man (derided by one contemporary cartoon as "Britain's African Bonaparte") had died before leaving England or on the outbound voyage to the Cape?

8f6.gif

Rhodes's views on race have been debated. Critics have labelled him as an "architect of apartheid"[5] and a "white supremacist"

Rhodes wanted to expand the British Empire because he believed that the Anglo-Saxon race was destined to greatness.
In his last will and testament, Rhodes said of the English, "I contend that we are the first race in the world, and that the more of the world we inhabit the better it is for the human race. I contend that every acre added to our territory means the birth of more of the English race who otherwise would not be brought into existence."

According to Magubane, Rhodes was "unhappy that in many Cape Constituencies, Africans could be decisive if more of them exercised this right to vote under current law," with Rhodes arguing that "the native is to be treated as a child and denied the franchise. We must adopt a system of despotism, such as works in India, in our relations with the barbarism of South Africa".

These views struck a chord with Adolf Hitler, who claimed that Rhodes was the only Englishman who truly understood Anglo-Saxon ideals.

Any alternative businessman, mining magnate and politician in Southern Africa, could bring about a compassionate imperial or even liberal views to the continent.

Without Rhodes to push for the Cape to Cairo railroad and the annexation of the current Zimbabwe and Zambia, could the Portuguese Pink Map go through? It was an important project for the Portuguese Monarchy and its loss contributed heavily to its fall in 1910.

I don't know what differences such an effect may have outside of say Africa and the Iberian Peninsula, but at least those regions would be affected.

Without Rhodes to push for the Cape to Cairo railroad and the annexation of the current Zimbabwe and Zambia, could the Portuguese Pink Map go through? It was an important project for the Portuguese Monarchy and its loss contributed heavily to its fall in 1910.

I don't know what differences such an effect may have outside of say Africa and the Iberian Peninsula, but at least those regions would be affected.
Portugal claimed it, but did they have any plans for, or ability to carry out any plans? OTL they leased out the operation of Mozambique, so was the pink ever really more than just a color on the map? They didn't really lose anything. Rhodes/Britain gained the right of exploitation, but I'm not so sure Portugal could have done much exploiting.

Quite a bit of time lapsed between loss of the pink color and fall of monarchy.

Portugal claimed it, but did they have any plans for, or ability to carry out any plans? OTL they leased out the operation of Mozambique, so was the pink ever really more than just a color on the map? They didn't really lose anything. Rhodes/Britain gained the right of exploitation, but I'm not so sure Portugal could have done much exploiting.

Several expeditions were sent to the region, so it's quite possible that the region be exploited further, and there were plans to do so as it became clear military presence was necessary to ensure holding the land. It's a minerally wealthy territory that would eventually be exploited. Perhaps without Rhodes, the exploitation would come from Portugal.

And although there was a time lapse, there is actually a clear connection between the Pink Map and the fall of the monarchy. It was one of the leading events to the Republican revolution and the Republican national anthem was actually written regarding that event, even finishing with the line "Against the Britons, let's march, let's march!" It was considered a deep national humiliation and as a sign of the weakness of the regime.

There were other issues, of course, but without the Pink Map it's quite possible the Monarchy never falls. Or at least its fall would be quite different from the historical one. The importance of this incident to Portuguese history cannot be stressed enough.

Lusitania

Donor

Actually no the loss of the pink map led to expansion of anti monarchy sentiment due to people perception of its weakness. So yes portuguese get pink map then monarchy more stable and even if majority of exploitation is done by British firms they still operating in Portuguese Africa.