Nixon's 1960 cabinet.

One idea i'm seriously considering is a "Nixon wins in 1960" thread. As i'm not particularly well informed of his connections at this point in his career, i thought i'd ask around. Who do you see Nixon placing in his administration if he managed to defeat JFK? You may explain your suggestions as thoroughly as you like. Likewise you may fill out the whole cabinet or just make a single suggestion, whichever you prefer.

I look forward to reading your imput.

hammo1j

Donor
How tricky was he back then?

He was a great pragmatist and maybe could have skipped the Cuba crisis. What he would do on Civil rights I dont know.

Was Kissinger around at that time?

for starters you might see a lot of carryover from Eisenhower's Administration

was vice president in my scenario Everett Dirksen he was a seasoned politician, a moderate and he would secure Illinois and help lockdown the Midwest vote for Nixon as well

William P. Rogers was a friend and advisor of Nixon's during the Eisenhower Administration he was also a big advocate for integration of schools and civil rights something that Nixon would push for I can see him staying through the first term at the very least

Ezra Taft Benson he was extremely Popular by the time 1961 came around having increased the price of food the US exported by 10% which had gone through a bit of stagnation and caused a lot of the farm vote to depend on Farm subsidies he had successfully turn this around by the end of Eisenhower's Administration and the odds are he was probably going to improve upon it

I would have to look up the rest of them a lot more in-depth

but I'll at least can say a lot of the cabinet members from the Eisenhower Administration probably have at least 1-3 more years before they either resign or are asked to Nixon promised to continue the legacy of Eisenhower so removing his cabinet members right away would be a head-scratcher

marktaha

Banned
But with Lodge as VP- I agree some of Ike's Cabinet kept.No special reason to change them. Also Castro out at the Bay of Pigs.

But with Lodge as VP- I agree some of Ike's Cabinet kept.No special reason to change them. Also Castro out at the Bay of Pigs.
Henry Cabot Lodge Jr. in my opinion was a stupid choice there was no way Nixon was going to win the Northeast he was told that yet he chose his running mate to be from the Northeast choosing someone from the Midwest where Michigan and Illinois were extremely close. not to mention he did alienate a lot of conservatives Republicans

Everett Dirksen I think could have flipped enough votes to secure Illinois and Michigan and possibly other states. and I don't think he would alienate any conservative Republicans for voting for Nixon possibly giving Nixon to win in New Mexico which was only a difference of 2294 votes

you got to remember the West was basically cowboy country still

marktaha

Banned
Dirksen surely seen as bit old by then and wouldn't he have maybe lost liberal and moderate votes?

bguy

Donor
Dirksen surely seen as bit old by then and wouldn't he have maybe lost liberal and moderate votes?

Dirksen was 64 in 1960. That makes him quite a bit younger that Alben Barkely (71 when he ran for vice president), and only a little older than Eisenhower when he first ran for president (62).

And why would Dirksen have lost liberal and moderate votes? He never had a reputation for being an extremist, and he was a supporter of civil rights legislation.

As I have noted, C. Douglas Dillon who became JFK's Secretary of the Treasury could have served in the Nixon Cabinet as well, and one of the offices he could have served in would be Secretary of State--he had after all served as Under Secretary of State (and previously Ambassador to France) under Eisenhower. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C._Douglas_Dillon

See also https://content.time.com/time/subscriber/article/0,33009,895205,00.html "C. Douglas Dillon looked forward to being Nixon's Secretary of State or Secretary of the Treasury. "

One idea i'm seriously considering is a "Nixon wins in 1960" thread. As i'm not particularly well informed of his connections at this point in his career, i thought i'd ask around. Who do you see Nixon placing in his administration if he managed to defeat JFK? You may explain your suggestions as thoroughly as you like. Likewise you may fill out the whole cabinet or just make a single suggestion, whichever you prefer.

I look forward to reading your imput.
All I remember was that Nixon was planning on flexing a Constitutional loophole to get Lodge to be his VP and Secretary of State, since there's nothing saying you can't be a Vice President as well as a cabinet member. Really sets an interesting precedent for future administrations.

Otherwise, all I know about Nixon was that he was a chameleon. He campaigned on what he viewed as popular legislation, as opposed to having much of a unified vision. If he viewed civil rights as popular, he'd go for it; if not, he'd probably avoid the topic. His "silent majority" ideas were genuine to him, because he viewed "law and order" etc. as something that would be popular if more people were exposed to it, so on and so on.

Keep in mind I am no Nixonologist--I am regurgitating things that more knowledgeable people have told me or from half-remembered Wikipedia binges. I am by no means an authority on this subject.