Nintendo's New Groove: An Alternate Nintendo Timeline

Do you think that this should get its own TV Tropes page?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Good question. If you ask me, maybe there be some marketing, maybe it will last, maybe not.
Dunno, i've yet to see a lynx on person, i've meet game gear, you can give credit SEGA marketed it better and distributed it better at least(plus tried more, Atari jus throw out the towel very fast), still not bad year...Ummm this was the year both PC Engine and Megadrive were out of japan too...

Dunno, i've yet to see a lynx on person, i've meet game gear, you can give credit SEGA marketed it better and distributed it better at least(plus tried more, Atari jus throw out the towel very fast), still not bad year...Ummm this was the year both PC Engine and Megadrive were out of japan too...
I see how it goes. But hey, I've got some off-topic stuff to add on here. So wait and see.

two strange questions: 1. Does Third-Party companies still exist in this alternate timeline or not? 2. Can you make it a pop-culture timeline similar to Battle Royale: The Last Generation Of An SNES-CD Saga?

two strange questions: 1. Does Third-Party companies still exist in this alternate timeline or not? 2. Can you make it a pop-culture timeline similar to Battle Royale: The Last Generation Of An SNES-CD Saga?
techically both were answered already, Dragon warrior and others were third party and mario anime is a butterfly too

I realize you would have had to retcon the timeline utterly, but...

I would have had Atari stick MARIA (for the extra sprites, extra compatible colors, and bitmap field), FREDDIE (so that mapper chips become unnecessary when games inevitably grow beyond 64K), POKEY (for the extra sound channels, and so that Atari can use the SIO Bus to interface a floppy drive of Atari's own design), and SLAPSTIC (so that they can control their own market lockout), and possibly license the 65C02 core to clock it at 5.35 MHz (to get the most out of both MARIA and the Picture Processor, at the same time).

I might also adopt the "Famiclone" method using the CX-9 joystick jack, but using Nintendo's timer-strobe-output method of button registration for the digital pins, as this leaves open the possibility for analog input controllers for driving and isometric games.

Nintendo can always put the extra chips on the Disc System, then add them onto a hypothetical backward compatible Famicom II in 1987, just in time to ruin the PC Engine's value proposition...

Did some ninja edits.

Last edited:
Nintendo can always put the extra chips on the Disc System, then add them onto a hypothetical backward compatible Famicom II in 1987, just in time to ruin the PC Engine's value proposition
And i say..WHY? MMC are cheaper and come on the cartidge, as Yamauchi and co learned, the famicom is a box to play mario(and seems we've even more marios now at this point of the TL) not need a new hardware when MMC and the base one do all the work.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/up...nk-to-the-past-f-zero-and-more.254724/page-61 if anything the gigaleak show how much nintendo push their tech

Last edited:
And i say..WHY? MMC are cheaper and come on the cartidge, as Yamauchi and co learned, the famicom is a box to play mario(and seems we've even more marios now at this point of the TL) not need a new hardware when MMC and the base one do all the work.

The questions are, how many Famicoms did Nintendo sell in Japan, how many cartridges featuring the MMC series of add-in chips, or third party bankswitch chips were sold, and now much margin per cartridge could have been pocketed or the savings passed on to the consumer if that chip wasn't in the cartridge? Consider that in Japan, the Famicom has audio input built into the cartridge pinout, and thus, in addition to battery backup for saved games, third parties frequently put sound chips on their cartridges, too.

The Atari chips already work with the NES/Famicom's CPU architecture, they are already available, assuming Atari's goodwill, and the masks have long been paid for. It's doubtful they would have tacked more than ¥300 total to the production cost per unit.

Last edited:
Keep in mind Nintendo is the only supplier for cartridges for all publishers on the NES/SNES IOTL (barring special exceptions). So more expensive cartridges = more cash for them upfront whatever happens to the consumer.

Last edited:
The questions are, how many Famicoms did Nintendo sell in Japan, how many cartridges featuring the MMC series of add-in chips, or third party bankswitch chips were sold, and now much margin per cartridge could have been pocketed or the savings passed on to the consumer if that chip wasn't in the cartridge? Consider that in Japan, the Famicom has audio input built into the cartridge pinout, and thus, in addition to battery backup for saved games, third parties frequently put sound chips on their cartridges, too.
IIRC, only Mario 3 alone sold 4 Million of Copies in original release, and other third parties break easily got sales,plus there a massive advantage on consumer paying just paying their software and not having to reinvest in hardware. Consumers don't care paying for a game of quality, but paying for a new hardware so fast is how sega and atari burned their consumer base otl.

Last edited:
Keep in mind Nintendo is the only supplier for cartridges for all publishers on the NES/SNES IOTL (barring special exceptions). So more expensive cartridges = more cash for them upfront whatever happens to the consumer.

That is true OTL in the US. However, in Japan, the only rules third parties had to follow in Japan were not to fry Nintendo Famicom hardware. You wouldn't believe some of the chips put in Japanese Famicom cartridges.

That is true OTL in the US. However, in Japan, the only rules third parties had to follow in Japan were not to fry Nintendo Famicom hardware. You wouldn't believe some of the chips put in Japanese Famicom cartridges.
Konami VCR,Namcot special chip for the original megami tensei, those were very unique MMC at the time too

In Japan, Konami, Namco, Bandai, Taito, Irem, Jaleco and Sunsoft manufactured their own game cartridges for the Famicom.[6] This allowed these companies to design their own customized chips for specific purposes, such as the increased sound quality of Konami's VRC 6 and VRC 7 chips. Overseas, all licensed NES cartridges were made by Nintendo except Konami and Acclaim, who produced their own PCBs, but used Nintendo's provided gray cartridge shells.
Source: Wikipedia

IIRC, only Mario 3 alone sold 4 Million of Copies in original release, and other third parties break easily got sales,plus there a massive advantage on consumer paying just paying their software and not having to reinvest in hardware. Consumers don't care paying for a game of quality, but paying for a new hardware so fast is how sega and atari burned their consumer base otl.

Then if they buy the Disc System (a much cheaper investment than a hypothetical Famicom II, and one that in OTL saw precious little software for after 1988), they can play those games and experience new features anyway, for what is still far less cost than the newly released PC Engine.

Then if they buy the Disc System (a much cheaper investment than a hypothetical Famicom II, and one that in OTL saw precious little software for after 1988), they can play those games and experience new features anyway, for what is still far less cost than the newly released PC Engine.
OTL they did...and Disk system failed as cartidge proved better and far more reliable, at times nintendo was forced to hand new disk, things don't happen on a vaccum plus they already have a hit and like miyamoto say: the mmc solved multiples issues at once

OTL they did...and Disk system failed as cartidge proved better and far more reliable, at times nintendo was forced to hand new disk, things don't happen on a vaccum plus they already have a hit and like miyamoto say: the mmc solved multiples issues at once

There's no technical reason a hypothetical Famicom Disk System's extra hardware features, if hooked up to a Famicom, couldn't have been accessible to the cartridge slot, too... except lazy engineering, of course.

Don't get me wrong. I understand mapping chips weren't used when they weren't needed, but pcb space on a cartridge was finite, especially in the era before widespread NAND flash, when saved game states on a cartridge demanded battery backup. Every enhancement chip on a cartridge takes up space that could have gone to extra ROM if the means for it (in this case, extra CPU address space) was already somehow baked into the system.

There's no technical reason a hypothetical Famicom Disk System's extra hardware features, if hooked up to a Famicom, couldn't have been accessible to the cartridge slot, too... except lazy engineering, of course.

Don't get me wrong. I understand mapping chips weren't used when they weren't needed, but pcb space on a cartridge was finite, especially in the era before widespread NAND flash, when saved game states on a cartridge demanded battery backup. Every enhancement chip on a cartridge takes up space that could have gone to extra ROM if the means for it (in this case, extra CPU address space) was already somehow baked into the system.
Even them, MMC give more life easily to famicom, there a reason why the system got games 11 years OTL, here seems as sucessful(even more), not need to enrage your userbase for nothing

Let’s Do It Off-Topic
Alright everyone, let’s have ourselves a little break, by doing something off-topic!
First off, the golden toads were never extinct. In fact, they are still alive and sheltered thanks to many zoos.

Second, there’s a gaming company that was found in the year 1985. It was known as “Thunderstruck Productions”. It was known for the Thunderstruck VR (which is like OTL’s Virtual Boy, except it's a home console with true colorful 3D graphics and doesn't give people headaches or seizures, which becomes wildly successful. It came out in 1995 and was discontinued in the year 2000.

Third, Derek Savage (known for Cool Cat Saves the Kids) started to become an actor after being an extra for the 1985 film known as “Back to School”.

That is all I can say. Stay tuned for the next decade, which is the 1990s!

Last edited:
Alright everyone, let’s have ourselves a little break, by doing something off-topic!
First off, the golden toads were never extinct. In fact, they are still alive and sheltered thanks to many zoos.

Second, there’s a gaming company that was found in the year 1985. It was known as “Thunderstrike Productions”. It was known for the Thunderstruck VR (which is like OTL’s Virtual Boy, except it's a home console with true colorful 3D graphics and doesn't give people headaches or seizures, which becomes wildly successful. It came out in 1995 and was discontinued in the year 2000.

Third, Derek Savage (known for Cool Cat Saves the Kids) started to become an actor after being an extra for the 1985 film known as “Back to School”.

That is all I can say. Stay tuned for the next decade, which is the 1990s!

So, sometime in the future, Cool Cat Saves the Kids will feature Cool Cat hanging out with Danny Elfman.

Second, there’s a gaming company that was found in the year 1985. It was known as “Thunderstrike Productions”. It was known for the Thunderstruck VR (which is like OTL’s Virtual Boy, except it's a home console with true colorful 3D graphics and doesn't give people headaches or seizures, which becomes wildly successful. It came out in 1995 and was discontinued in the year 2000.
Interesting..why dissapared? too expensive for mass market?