New Worlda Biome Map

The current biome worlda, while good for general use, is quite flawed. It had several unpainted islands/minor peninsulas, the placement of the biomes themselves is dubious, and most importantly, it's based on the Wikipedia map, which is poorly sourced -I still haven't found the original map. Here it is with some minor fixes.

Biomemap.png

Now, there are many ways to classify terrestrial biomes and there is no a single standard: trust me, I'm a biologist and we can't agree. However, the World Wildlife Fund is one authority on the matter, and fortunately for us, they have a pretty good and detailed map for us to use.

http://studentclimatedata.unh.edu/climate/biome/WWF_BiomeMap.png

Even better, some AH.com users had already started to translate it to Worlda back in 2016, but it stalled. Still, it's here:

b8wJxo5.png

Anyone wants to help me complete it? It would be an invaluable source for worldbuilding.

Maybe we could adapt Wikipedia's color scheme when it's done (I like it better honestly).

I also have some interesting maps of human land use and aquatic ecosystems to make it even more complete. Unfortunately all biome maps are idealized vegetation; that is, not what exists in reality, but what could or did exist, with no human land use. I have some maps about farm, pasture, terrace, and urban land use that we can use to overlay it over a biome map and get a full picture.

So, any volunteers?

WorldA is over, switch to EqualX.

Let me know what your preferred colour scheme is.
Few things here

1. Just because you made a new base doesn't mean you can hijack other threads for means of advertising

2. Worlda, by in large, is still the standard of the site and will be for some time.

3. This is far from why the OP opened the thread

Few things here

1. Just because you made a new base doesn't mean you can hijack other threads for means of advertising

2. Worlda, by in large, is still the standard of the site and will be for some time.

I mean, it's still pretty topical, right? They wanted a biome map on a worldwide base, this works just as well as if it was a twenty-hour tracing project on a worlda.

Deleted member 101966

Few things here

Hey, sorry for coming off so belligerently.

Not to totally put my foot in it, but OP posted an academic WWF source which comes with an accompanying, free, public, shapefile. Since my new basemap (which I hope it doesn't just look like I have nothing better to do than promote for sheer self-aggrandizement; no, I don't think the WorldA is actually over) was designed to be GIS-compatible, any shapefile can be converted into its format in about 30 minutes. I didn't have this new map prepared before I saw this thread - it is constructed entirely to OP's specifications.

If anybody wants to proceed with a WorldA version of the same map, I have no authority to stop them. Since that task has apparently gone nowhere for 3 years, I hope my alternative provides some use to somebody.

I really love the map made by @ksituan and it's amazing how flexible his basemap is. So I'm really thankful, and I hope the EqualX has success.

However the basemap I prefer to work with and the one with most content made for is still the WorldA, so that's why I asked for help with it (instead of other basemaps).

In any case, all maps relating to nature (vegetation, elevation/topography, land use, and so on) are welcome here.

For my part I did some progress with the WorldA version. It's not much but it covers those islands that are easy to do and even easier to miss.

If anyone wants to collaborate feel welcome.

biomes new.png