New Republic, New Elections - A Brazilian TL

Should reelection be allowed? If so, for how many years?

• NO, BUT KEEP 5-YEAR TERM

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • NO, BUT MAKE A 4-YEAR TERM

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • YES, 5-YEAR TERM

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • YES, 4-YEAR TERM

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • OTHER (WRITE IN THE COMMENTS)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
November 1991 - December 1991
Chapter 18

On November 1, 1991, in an effort to speed up the construction boom provoked by the Universal Care Law, Mercadante would create a state-owned company - CABANA (Hut in English) (Companhia Brasileira de Construções Nacionais) - whose function would be to build the facilities required by the UCL, with a focus on smaller cities and regions that normal construction companies would find unattractive and not "profitable" enough. While many on the Right (Including Fernando Collor) protested the creation of yet another state-owned company, it was approved by Congress and CABANA would start functioning on the 1st of July of 1992.
Sticking to massive projects, one of the main ones, the Railway Development Plan, was finished by December of 1991. It was inaugurated to national celebrations, with many railways linking cities and regions in order to help in the transport of products (By 2005 this would be expanded to include people and passenger cars would be built). The main railways of the project (Though definitely not the only ones) were:
• Macapá - Cayenne: Linking Portuguese Guiana (Amapá) with the French one, this would be a railway used to transport Amapaense products into the Guyanan markets of Suriname, French Guyana and Guyana.
• Petrolina - Recife: Linking the extreme west of the state of Pernambuco with the capital of Recife. It allowed for the surrounding regions to export their products to foreign markets.
• Teresina - Bom Jesus do Norte: Linking the capital of Piauí with the capital of Bahia. From there, part of the produce was exported, but this railway also extended into Vitória, and finally ended in Bom Jesus do Norte, the border between Espírito Santo and Rio de Janeiro, the latter of which was the ultimate destination
• Porto Velho - Três Lagoas: Linking the capital of the Amazon state of Rondônia, it passed through Mato Grosso before reaching Três Lagoas, in the border between Mato Grosso do Sul and São Paulo

QvvqQ23.png

Map of the 4 "Innovative" railways. In total 15 were built, especially in the Center-West and some other regions

The Railway Development Plan was a success. It completely changed the settlement of Brazil, as cities received an influx of workers hired by the program. In some regions, the population doubled due to the project. The Center-West, Rondônia, Espírito Santo, Tocantins and some regions of Minas Gerais experienced massive population growth due to migrations caused by the project. The problem was: What would be of those workers now that it had ended?

On December 26, 1991, the USSR was dissolved, bringing an end to the Cold War. [1]

[1] Just as IOTL

Eletrobras-CABANA partnership to eletricfy the interior when? There is so much potential to urbnize and improve infrastructure with this new company, and that's only domestic projects, with Mercosul gettting ready the integration of said infrastructure between members would be beneficial, and of course export of know-how to other developing nations like Angola, Moçambique, Namíbia, Nigéria etc.

P.S. The angolan civil war is restarting in '92 and Brasil sold them the Astros MRLS OTL.

January 1992 - February 1992
Chapter 19

On January 3, 1992, the New Year started with a bang in Brazil.
The Estado de São Paulo newspaper, that had once revealed the Venezuelan Scheme, now reported on another similar one. Dubbed the "Hidden Scheme", it was found that many of the people involved with the previous scheme continued it, and sales of Brazilian weapons to Venezuela were still happening. This resulted in a government crisis, as Mercadante immediately summoned the Ministry of Defense to explain the situation. By the end of the day, around 30 people in the Ministry who were involved in the scheme were fired and barred from ever holding a government job.
A commission established by the Government, however, would find that the total money the "Underground Scheme" made by selling Brazilian weapons was around 100 million dollars.

The biggest impact from this, however, would come on the fateful day of February 4, 1992.
On the early twilight hours of that day, Hugo Chávez, at that time a powerful political leader within the Venezuelan military, carried out a coup d'état on the Venezuelan Government, toppling it. Some 9 army units under Chávez's leadership stormed Caracas and took control of many strategic points of the city. This resulted in a day of constant fighting between the "Bolivarians" (Named after Hugo's ideology) and the Venezuelan Government. By the end of February 5, however, the siege was complete when Pérez, returning from an international trip at the Maiquetía Airport, was captured, "tried" and executed.

"How did 9 army units under one ideologue manage to wrestle control of a major South American country? This was due to the bigger army units and an effective policy of communication. At first, it seemed unclear what was really going on in the capital city. Not only that, Chávez, with the assistance of one army unit, took control of the Maiquetía Airport, using Brazilian weapons that had been recently sold as a threat (Brazilian tanks and ammunition were of a much bigger quality than Venezuelan ones, making the "legitimate" government forces weaker in firepower even whilst outnumbering their opponents).
After taking control of the area, Chávez arrested all journalists present at the scene and commanded that air traffic control allow the President's plane to land at the airport. From there, Pérez was immediately arrested and sent to a "trial" by the Revolutionary Bolivarian Movement-200"
- Hugo Chávez And His World. Written by Fernando Londoño and published in 2009. Bogotá
sXoN3Qg.gif

Infobox on the coup

On the trial, that took place on the same day and was referred to in future Venezuelan history books as 'Pérez v. The Venezuelan People', the deposed president was found guilty of "committing crimes against the people of Venezuela, by adopting an economic model that led to the misery and death of thousands of his fellow countrymen". He was sentenced to death by firing squad, which took place one day later, on November 6.
The Government of the United States cut all foreign aid to Venezuela following the coup and pressed for a motion in the United Nations that called for the "condemnation of the putschists led by Hugo Chávez for usurping power from a legitimate government and executing a head of state". The motion passed, but US's insistence that sanctions be placed on Venezuela were not met, due to some member's concerns that it could affect their oil supply.
George H. W. Bush, then President of the United States, considered sending troops to the South American country in a "pacifying mission", but this was rejected by his advisors, who were already noticing the growth of both Perot and Clinton in election polls and reasoned that another foreign adventure this early would only strengthen Bush's opponents, specially Perot, who took on an isolationist rhetoric during his campaign.
George-HW-Bush-1989.jpg

George H. W. Bush

By November 7, 1992, the remaining rebellions against the Bolivarians were crushed as most major military leaders changed their allegiances in exchange for material and economic rewards.
That day, Hugo Chávez was inaugurated as President of the Republic of Venezuela. The constitution, adopted in 1961, was put on hold as a referendum on a new one was being planned. [1]

[1] I have to warn my readers, if you thought Chávez was too crazy IOTL, get ready, as this one took power at a younger and more radical phase of his life

Hey, sorry for taking so long, but I must announce that this TL is now on a hiatus.
I simply don't have the same energy on writing this story.
I may do a new TL (About Brazil) in the future, but it will be more "concentrated" (At least 1k words per chapter) and will focus on the past (Anything post-1960 in Brazil feels too weird for me to write about).
I hope you all enjoyed this TL and may a new one come.

Hope the hiatus is not forever, but I understand you needing a break and I welcome any new TL of yours
If it does end here though I will say this was a solid work and I have enjoyed it very much

Here's hoping for the best for El Comandante.

Hey no worries, inspiration comes & goes the later usually when it's most inconvenient for the writer.

Hey, I've made a poll so you can choose a new TL idea for me to work with. I will take a lot more time with any option and will not rush the chapters as I did with this TL, so don't expect a new TL before 2023 (I want to write at least 5 chapters before publishing)

Hey, I've made a poll so you can choose a new TL idea for me to work with. I will take a lot more time with any option and will not rush the chapters as I did with this TL, so don't expect a new TL before 2023 (I want to write at least 5 chapters before publishing)
@JohnBull @Vinization @holycookie Because you like modern Brazilian politics, I want to know what option is more interesting to you

It is not allowing me to vote for some reason but I think an Aécio Presidency is the biggest POD out of the options available and what people are curious about the mosr
After all he losing is what set up the Impeachment and the Bolsonaro presidency to happen, as I really couldnt see Marina winning
So I think the only POD that could match it 2014 onwards is a Eduardo Campos Presidency, like if say he and Marina had their places swapped

It is not allowing me to vote for some reason but I think an Aécio Presidency is the biggest POD out of the options available and what people are curious about the mosr
After all he losing is what set up the Impeachment and the Bolsonaro presidency to happen, as I really couldnt see Marina winning
So I think the only POD that could match it 2014 onwards is a Eduardo Campos Presidency, like if say he and Marina had their places swapped
Did you manage to vote now?

Interestingly, Aecio winning maintains the PT's popularity, without the madness of Dilma's second term, the PT would not have the stain it has today and the PSDB tends to deal well with the economy.

A week later, the results are in:
Aécio Neves Presidency - 5 votes
No impeachment - 4 votes
Marina Silva presidency - 3 votes
No Bolsonaro - 1 vote
-----
Welp, see you in Chat soon, when I finish the first chapters of the Aécio 2014 TL!