New Island Empire....

Well, here it is, my entry into the AH field. I've been working on this project for something like 2 months, and some of you have seen bits and pieces of it in other posts on other boards, but here is the latest version.

Zenda (Inspired by Anthony Hope's Prisoner of Zenda) is an island, or series of islands located on the Celtic Shelf, Southwest of the British Isles. Zenda is a monarchy and due to being surrounded by enemies (or potential ones) has come to have a rather militaristic society--much like Kaiser's Germany. All schools are military ones, and even nonmilitary occupations tend to wear uniforms. Despite this, Zenda has a much less harsh feeling to it than Germany, largely because the Zendians soften their image a bit. (and their voices a lot) One sometimes wonders if it is all merely an excuse to wear a uniform. (Only Zendian Troops abroad wear khaki--otherwise, they still wear their flashy Victorian dress uniforms.)

My plan is to I want to eventually have the place an island empire that will offer Britain some real competition in her empire building, with South Africa, including what would've otherwise been Portugese West and East Africa, Madagascar, Dutch East Indies, various Pacific and Caribbean islands, et al... Of these, South Africa (Transvaal) gets heavily settled, and becomes to Zenda what Austrailia does to Britain. Canada is also settled by Zenda--Nieu Friesland in this AH. My goal is to have an empire by 1914 that can support a navy 2/3 the size of the British Fleet, I expect most of my writing will cover what will mainly be a naval war.

Back History

This is only a tenetive history, and any comments, or suggestions are espcially welcome as there are a lot of empty, or incomplete spaces in my back history. The project is evolving almost daily.

Well, here it is, my entry into the AH field. I've been working on this project for something like 2 months, and some of you have seen bits and pieces of it in other posts on other boards, but here is the latest version.

My country is Zenda, a Dutch/Frisian island country that is located on the Celtic Shelf, just southwest of the UK. The islands were originally settled by the Amorican Celts, (recall the boat-builders that gave Caesar such a hard time?) but later were conquered by the Romans, though they never really Romanized. During the Dark Ages, the Islands were overrun and again conquered by the Frisians and to a lesser extent, the Saxons, giving the islands about the same ethnic composition as the Netherlands, with whom trade blossomed by the Middle Ages.
Indeed, Zenda was well located for trade, and in time built up a sizable merchant fleet, trading with Flanders, France, Spain and England. By the mid 1500s, only Spain and Portugal could boast of a larger merchant fleet. As the Sixteenth Century wore on, the Protestant Reformation came about, and many, including the ruling house of Zenda converted to Protestantism. When the Eighty Years war broke out between Spain and the Netherlands, The Zendians were quick to offer aid, which greatly strengthened the Dutch position. The end of the war brought about the beginnings of the Dual Monarchy, for over the course of the war, the nations had become so close to each other that it was decided to combine the two, each with its own, separate ruling house. The resulting country was known as the Zeeland Confederation, or simply Zeeland. It was during this time that the countries reached the height of their power, colonizing the East Indies, South Africa, and Northern North America (New York and Canada). North America in particular became a battlefield, as Zeeland fought with Great Britain and France over territory. The French fleet was soundly defeated in the Battle of the Azores, but Zeeland suffered a defeat to the British which resulted in the loss of New Amsterdam, leaving them with only Canada. This was only part of the larger Anglo-Zeeland Wars. For the most part, the two sides found themselves evenly matched and the war was inconclusive on the whole accomplishing little more than heavy casualties on both sides. Eventually, relations improved with the marriage of William of Orange to Mary of England--at least for a while. A war in the early 1700s with Portugal over possessions in the East Indies added more possessions to the empire.
By the reign of George II, relations were again deteriorating with England, and by the time George III took the throne, there was more fighting in North America, mostly inconclusive though in general favoring the British who had more people. More North American territory was lost.
Zeeland saw its chance to regain much however, when the British Colonists declared independence in 1776. Zeeland became the first country to extend formal recognition to the United States, and besides supplying such essentials as uniforms, guns and money to the Revolution, landed an army of 50,000. Interference by the Zeelandian navy compounded the supply situation badly for the British, and when France also joined the war, the British situation in North America became untenable. The treaty ending the war saw all lost colonial possessions lost in the last war returned, as well as an agreement on a permanent boundary between the United States and Zeeland owned Canada.
By this point, it appeared that Zeeland was to become a major player in Europe, but following the French Revolution, disaster befell Zeeland, when Napoleon's army conquered the Netherlands. Zenda refused to recognize the puppet regime of Louis Bonaparte, seized control of all the colonies (ostensibly to keep the French out, pending the restoration of the Monarchy) and joined England in the war, contributing troops to the Peninsular Campaign and vessels to the naval war. In 1805, a combined Anglo-Zendian Fleet of 45 vessals met the 33 strong Franco-Spanish fleet at the battle of Trafalger. The resulting battle was one of the most decisive naval battles in history, as nearly all the French or Spanish vessels were sunk or captured. At Waterloo, British, Dutch, and Zendian troops fought under the same banner for the last time, bringing about the final defeat of Napoleon.
The Congress of Vienna saw the end of Zeeland, when it was decided to form the Netherlands into an independent country. Though this was a British notion, they had considerable backing from the Dutch themselves that proved decisive. The Netherlands of 1814 was a different place from the Netherlands of 1805 and many of the ideas of the French Revolution and Napoleonic rule had instilled a desire for independence. Zenda, however, was allowed to keep the colonies it had taken over in 1806, and even added a few minor territories, spoils from the war.
Despite the loss of the Netherlands, which many blamed on Great Britain, Zenda continued to grow, and in relative peace save for some minor skirmishes over overseas territory and the occasional colonial war such as the Zulu Wars of 1867-69. The 1840-80s saw a great period of industrialization, helped by the warm relationship with the united States. Indeed, during this time period many American investors saw Zenda as a more pleasant alternative to doing business with Great Britain. In particular, American railroad companies won contracts to build railroads in not only Zenda, but Canada and South Africa (Transvaal) as well. The discovery of gold in diamonds in Transvaal brought more riches to the Zendian empire which paved the way for more colonial expansion. Unfortunately, this brought the Zendians in conflict with the British again, culminating in the battle of Vestingeiland in 1884 which saw a major defeat of the Zendian fleet, by the Royal Navy. The consequences of this battle might have been worse, were it not for the defeat of the British army in South Africa. The treaty saw Zenda losing Ceylon and its possessions in South America.
The defeat of Vestingeiland was blamed largely on the fact that the Navy, the Rijkszeemacht had been allowed to become obsolete. The 1890s saw a great expansion of Zendian shipyards and overseas naval bases in anticipation of a naval arms race with Great Britain. Germany, which was just entering the race was viewed as a natural ally, and so the stage was set for an eventual confrontation......

Isn't there already a ASB tl with a island south west of England?
I think its called Taranty or something.
Anyway I believe any such island would be took over by England like Eire.
The butterflys would be huge too...

Interesing concept

Nothing jumps out on a first read as horribly implausible. You might try to move it a little further west otherwise British interests in its would be as large--or still larger--than their interest in Ireland. Need to think about Zenda's relationship to Ireland--maybe it's so dominated by Calvinism (which contributed to its strong economic development as per Max Weber) that Catholic Ireland simply disgusts it. Also to get the fleet you're looking for it's economy would need to be nearly half of Britain's Tarrantry is not as strong though it did grow from Robinson's original conception. Speaking of which you might want to look at the novels by Vance which I have a strong suspicion helped inspire Tarrantry.

Strategically if the HSF can move to Zenda and join with the Zendan fleet and then defeat the GF it's game over for the British (Zenda's position lets it dominate the Western Approaches).

Tarrantry vs Zenda.

I've the Tarrantry stuff, and while the location is indeed similar. (Mostly due to a lack of alternatives for a UK sized group of islands) I also freely admitt my writing format--series of short stories may resemble his, but I see the likenesses ending there.

Tarrantry, from what I've read is mainly French based in history and culture, while Zenda is more Dutch/Germanic. Zenda is highly militaristic in comparison, resembling Germany more, the main difference being Zenda already has an empire and the ruler of Zenda does not run at the mouth the way the Kaiser habitually does.

Geographically, Zenda is about three times the size of Tarrantry, with a far larger overseas empire. Considering the probable wealth of Transvaal (South Africa) and Nieu Friesland alone, (Canada) I see no reason why the economy should not rivial Great Britain's.

I have given a certain amount of thought to why England did not at least try to annex the place in the Middle Ages, but from my reading, the Frisians were quite warlike and even Charlemagne had to offer them assurances to bring them into the empire. Had England invaded, they would've had a nastier fight on their hands than what the Irish gave them. A few hundred years before, the Vikings had been handed a sound defeat and everyone took this as a lesson. Honestly, a better question might be why did not Zenda invade England? For the most part, during this time period, the Zendians were more interested in holding on to what they had than subjugating others. France was usually seen as being a greater threat, and Zendian rulers became by necessity, good at playing the two powers off against each other. The large fleet the islands possessed by the 1500s disuaded anyone from seriously attempting invasion--Even Phillip II was inclined to turn his attentions more toward England.

Walter_Kaufmann said:
Would you consider making a map of the island nation...?

I'm currently using Campaign Cartographer to work up a map. I'm on about my 4th version.....

I expect within the next week to have selected a final prototype.