New Guernsey not New Jersey?

just a minor WI, but WI New Jersey had been named after the other chanel island, Guernsey?:confused:

i guess the only way to do this would be to reverse which island was loyal and which wasnt in the English Civil War...

Keenir

Banned
Carter(et)?

SteveW said:
Not impossible, I think. Jersey was split over it but Carteret went for the King.

just wondering...is that where the surname Carter came from? *curious*

or just pure coincidence?

Thande

Donor
Keenir said:
just wondering...is that where the surname Carter came from? *curious*

No, Carter just means your ancestor was a...carter.

Carteret, I would guess, is French...although I suppose it could be from the same root.

Keenir

Banned
thank you

Thande said:
No, Carter just means your ancestor was a...carter.

Carteret, I would guess, is French...although I suppose it could be from the same root.

ah. thank you for the clarification.

Wendell said:
How about New Sark, or better yet, New Alderney, that way, one's state could be N.A.
eh...it doesnt roll of the toung like New Guernsey though...:D
btw, what was it called before it was named New Jersey? wasnt it sweedish or something?

Scarecrow said:
eh...it doesnt roll of the toung like New Guernsey though...:D
btw, what was it called before it was named New Jersey? wasnt it sweedish or something?
Part of it was included in New Sweden, and another part in New Netherland. Maybe it could be called Ruritania, Mullica, or Vineland? Better yet, New Orage...

New Sweden

New Sweden was founded in 1638 on what is now Wilmington, DE. It included parts of Deleware, New Jersey and PA. The Swedes started it in direct competition to Dutch and English trade with the Indians. They didn't last long, less than 20 years, after the Dutch used their trade connections with the Monhegan Indians to cut off a link to other tribes. The Monhegans charged stiff tariffs on goods other tribes wanted to transport across their territories to Fort Christina, the Swedish town.

The Swedes countered by selling guns and powder directly to the Indians with no restrictions, something the Dutch and French had refused to do. This led to the Dutch having to sell gun and powder to the Monhegans as well, to keep them as allies. The Dutch eventually made the Swedish position untenable by cutting off thier access to the Atlantic. Sweden surrendered their claim on the territories in 1655, but the Indians had learned a valuble lesson. Not only could they control trade with the Europeans, they could play the Europeans against one another.

Probably more than you wanted to know...

Eusabian said:
New Sweden was founded in 1638 on what is now Wilmington, DE. It included parts of Deleware, New Jersey and PA. The Swedes started it in direct competition to Dutch and English trade with the Indians. They didn't last long, less than 20 years, after the Dutch used their trade connections with the Monhegan Indians to cut off a link to other tribes. The Monhegans charged stiff tariffs on goods other tribes wanted to transport across their territories to Fort Christina, the Swedish town.

The Swedes countered by selling guns and powder directly to the Indians with no restrictions, something the Dutch and French had refused to do. This led to the Dutch having to sell gun and powder to the Monhegans as well, to keep them as allies. The Dutch eventually made the Swedish position untenable by cutting off thier access to the Atlantic. Sweden surrendered their claim on the territories in 1655, but the Indians had learned a valuble lesson. Not only could they control trade with the Europeans, they could play the Europeans against one another.

Probably more than you wanted to know...
I liked that. Thank you:)