New game: Create the most original or insane "something-punk" subgenre yet !

Sachyriel

Banned
How about a world where the people who don't like punk music or culture get their way, and start to burn the works of punk artists. Some of them even go so far as to "make these punks work!" and use the burning materials to power machinery. Because of this, people enjoy the irony, and enslave any punks in order to force them to create art and other punk things so they can burn them in order to live in a world based on Punksteam.

Tolkien - Punk: the War of the Ring was so long ago that the stories are generally considered myth and allegory as much as history, and in any event the hard-working Men, Dwarves, Hobbits and Orcs of Middle-Earth and the Eastern Lands have other things to do than speculate about mythology.

The renewed Kingdom of Gondor and Other bits fell a long time ago, and much of the world is now run by Republican or Parliamentary governments of one stripe or another, although the Empire of Mordor is ruled by a hereditary Necromancer (albiet largely a nominal ruler nowadays: they needed national symbols to rally around when they revolted against Gondorian tyranny, and Sauron had been dead long enough for his identification with Ancient Evils to seem mere Gondorian propaganda).

Hobbits and Goblins/Orcs have essentially second-rate status in society.

The autonomy of the Shire was not respected in the later, decadent eras of the Gondorian Empire, and they did not have a nice ring-wall of mountains like the inhabitants of Mordor. Hobbits are scattered through the human world, as far east as the Golden Empire (whose inhabitants still find it annoying when Westerners make "if it it wasn't for us, you'd all be speaking Orkish" claims) and as far south as the backwards jungle kingdoms. Some independent Hobbit clans still exist in remote areas, carefully hiding from Men, but most muddle along in human society, working in jobs where an unusually fine skill with hand and eye are needed. In a few of the more modern republics they are theoretically equal to Men, but this tends to be of the "seperate and" variety. They survive, though: privation has sharpened their "tough as old tree-roots" tendencies, and they at least avoid the worst stereotypes of specialized minorities: others exist to draw hostility from them.

Most notably the Orcs. Although most died when Sauron was overthrown, he'd been overthrown before and some Orcs made it: evolution in action, so to speak, with the Orcs better able to survive sans the influence of Evil Overlords doing the best. And Orcs breed rapidly. The orcs have not had a kingdom of their own in the West since the Dwarves finally cleaned out the now Balrog-free mines of Moria, and exist on the ass end of society, doing the shittiest jobs for the lowest pay. Centuries of mass executions and brutal repression have to some extent beaten the more agressive tendencies out of Orcs, although it is still generally considered unsafe to turn your back on one. Some countries have at times exterminated their Orc populations, but they have always survived somewhere, and bred up their numbers again. To the east, in the Orocarni mountains on the borders of the Golden Empire and in the wild borderlands of Haradwaithe some small Orcish kingdoms survived up to the modern era, only to be stamped out by modernizing states with gunpowder armies and tunnel-smashing explosives. Only in Mordor, which has always supported an indigenous Orcish population, even in the worst times after the War of the Ring, do Orcs have a recognized and accepted social status, and even serve in the Mordorian Armed Forces, which shocks and disgusts most foreigners.

Dwarves are disliked too - greedy, keep to themselves, violent-tempered, their women are ugly - but they have equal recognized status to humans. Although Moria is the only large Dwarf state left, large dwarf communities exist underneath many a state of Men, and dwarves are if anything more skilled at the modern Alchemical and Material arts than humans are. Fighting modern armies underground, in tunnels too low for you to stand up in, and in the dark...well. Dwarfish communities in Human states generally have important legal and economic autonomies, and usually have massive economic power as well: Humans may have begun the Alchemical Revolution, but Dwarves have always had a leg up in practical applications for manufacturing, etc. Only the relatively small numbers of the slow-breeding dwarves keep them from dominating the economy of Middle-Earth: indeed, some suggest that the _real_ reason they don't is not their numbers, but that they are too wise to unify humans against them by showing them what they really could do. In the Tyranny of Rhun, Dwarves have no more rights than anyone else, but that's probably largely due to the fact that the vast and flat country has never supported much of a Dwarf population.

Trolls were wiped out a long time ago, and the only remaining dragons are shrunken creatures, no longer capable of speech and found mostly in zoos. The Ents, alas, long ago gave up on the Entwives, and mostly 'went tree' (the Old Forest was burned to the ground a long time ago, but there are still some patches of woods east of the Misty Mountains which are never cut). A few mobile Ents still exist, though, protectors of those woods set aside as nature reserves by enlightened countries; few see them, and many are dubious as to whether they actually exist or are some sort of magical creation of Big Government. There are some giant spiders still hiding out in the jungles of the Dark lands, but they keep their existence carefully secret. (poor Shelob's stuffed carcasse was thrown out by the Mordor Imperial Museum three centuries ago: it was getting too threadbare, and most visitors didn't think it was real anyway).

The Cursed Marshes on the borders of Mordor were filled in a long time ago, and grow a lot of sugar beets nowadays.

Technology is odd, since it is mixed in various ways with magic. There are no elves or wizards any longer with inherent magical powers, but there are symbolic magics of rune and symbol that work for ordinary Men or Dwarves: there is necromancy: and there are a variety of special alchemical and material-handling methods that slop into magic on one end and chemistry on the other, many of which were pioneered by the dwarves. Over the last few centuries, something of a 'scientific revolution' has taken place among Men, fuelled by the printing press and new seaborn explorations of the Southern Lands and the mysterious "Dark Lands" to the SE of Middle-Earth. The practical aspects of the enterprise have quickly been duplicated by the Dwarves. Magic, engineering, alchemy: all on an organized, experimental basis.

Crude golems and steam locomotives. Magical Palantir-type seeing stones and high explosives. Dirigibles and skysrapers structurally stregnthened by a hundred thousand runes forged into the metal. Dead who reveal their killer in speech (when a killer with foresight has not smashed brain and cut out tongue), and steam-powered carnival rides. Soldiers go into battle with gunpowder rifles, but all their bullets are carved with mystic runes to make sure they go through dwarf-forged body armor. Movies and water purification plants which require blood sacrifices.

Tom Bombadil is currently "some crazy old guy" living in a cabin in the woods. State social workers occasionally go to make sure he's ok and not violating any provisions for living on public land, but never quite manage to put together a coherent report afterwards.

Currently, half a dozen great powers, including the Republic of Eriador and its allies in Moria, the Tyranny of Rhun, the backwards but huge Golden Empire, and the small but oil-and-minerals rich and strategically important Mordor are contending for influcence and power, and people fear another great war, as bad or worse as that provoked by colonial struggles in the Dark Continent, may be coming. There are those who hope to unify the lands in a greater project, though: to break through the Dimensional Barrier and reach the Unknown Lands.

For a long time, it has been a puzzling fact that all efforts at calculating the circumference of Arda came up with a measurement several thousand miles greater than what was actually observed by ships crossing the Great Ocean westwards. And then, only a few years ago, an alchemically powered rocket equipped with an Eye of Seeing was launched from Eriador, circled the globe, and water-landed in the Gulf of Lune. And what the Eye observed was alarming.

From orbit, a whole new continent was revealed that, as far as could be told, people crossing the ocean somehow just missed. Theoretically, sorcery could twist space so to conceal another continent, but the power involved was almost beyond comprehension. So, countries now race to build rockets of their own to observe this new and mysterious land, while the rulers of Mordor have their own, bigger plans: they intend to be the first to land _people_ from orbit, to see if the twisting of space prevents an approach from above. There are, of course, those who forsee disaster if any contact is made with the presumably super-powerful inhabitants of the western continent.

One thing nobody knows is that there are still some Elves in Middle-Earth. Most people think the last of them left over a millenium ago, and are familiar with them only from literature, comic books, and neatly labeled skulls at the museum. However, there were some who loved the land too much to leave, and still walk the land, disguised by magic to seem as mere humans...and they _really_ don't like the notion of humans dropping into the Holy Lands sans invitation. Countries have been flooded for less.

Bruce

Last edited:
AnimalPunk:

(Snip)

The UAA, naturally, will not be sending a representative; they have unrest from their own Animal population to worry about, and besides, First Comrade Alexander has no time to waste with “Unacceptable Deviationists from the True and Proper Spirit of Animalism with a Pragmatic Face!”

Very nice. One quibble: I have trouble seeing insects favoring either side. Most insects don't really give a damn - they're in competition with the larger animals for food and space as much as they are with humans (and how do true carnivores, which can't _digest_ vegetable diets, get along in the animal-run territories?)

(Yes, I do tend to overthink things)

One wonders if the Revolution has reached sub-Saharan Africa?

Bruce

Very nice.

Thanks! Great job on your Tolkien-punk BTW. I'd love to see a story set in that universe. :cool:

One quibble: I have trouble seeing insects favoring either side. Most insects don't really give a damn - they're in competition with the larger animals for food and space as much as they are with humans

All true; but from the paranoid mindset of people throughout the Human Bloc, insects are just another potential enemy to fear. There's a lot of people who're afraid to step on a bug if it crosses their path, for instance...

(and how do true carnivores, which can't _digest_ vegetable diets, get along in the animal-run territories?)

Suffice to say, a lot of them became dissolusioned very quickly after the Revolution, in the Snowballist nations (the first generation of artificial meats that Comrade Snowball's scientists created for them tasted horribly). Many actually migrated away, mostly to the UAA, which made it quite clear that the Seven Commandments weren't worth the barn sides they were written on...

One wonders if the Revolution has reached sub-Saharan Africa?

Bruce

It did. It was eventually put down there, in most places, but areas like the Serengeti are still no-go zones for humans as of 1984 in TTL...

Thanks! Great job on your Tolkien-punk BTW. I'd love to see a story set in that universe. :cool:...

Someday perhaps. :( I'm working on a project (sort of a big "gazeteer" of alternate world descritions and maps) right now, which will probably take another month or two to complete.

Suffice to say, a lot of them became dissolusioned very quickly after the Revolution, in the Snowballist nations (the first generation of artificial meats that Comrade Snowball's scientists created for them tasted horribly). Many actually migrated away, mostly to the UAA, which made it quite clear that the Seven Commandments weren't worth the barn sides they were written on...

One final thought: the UAA is going to have a lot of trouble with birds - it's rather easy for them to defect... :)

Bruce

Someday perhaps. :( I'm working on a project (sort of a big "gazeteer" of alternate world descritions and maps) right now, which will probably take another month or two to complete.

I can't wait to read it! I've really enjoyed the AHTG. :)

One final thought: the UAA is going to have a lot of trouble with birds - it's rather easy for them to defect... :)

Bruce

Ayup. And they weren't the only ones fleeing the UAA after its first decade of existance...

snip
Bruce

Hey, you thought of the same idea that I came up with already a year ago ! :mad:

Still, I like your description and I read it with great interest. :D
Seriously, write a story in that setting when you'll have the time. :) :cool:
Then I'll compare it with my own writings about a more cynical and down-to-earth future Arda. ;)

Last edited:
Parrotpunk! The world according to Jimmy Buffet songs. :D Azure-watered island party paradises filled with clueless tourists sipping daiquiris...while in the shadows intrigue abounds and exotic danger is only a Grumman Goose hop to a pirate town on a lonely cay! Cowboys, pirates, smugglers, shady pilots and boat captains, femme fatals, and modern day warrior-bards blend with clever and industrious natives. Cargo cults clash with drug-runners. Sport Fishermen uncover cursed Aztec gold. And everyone follows the unspoken rule that at sunset conflicts get put on hold and all observe a moment of silence and self-reflection with a Cuban cigar and an overproof Jamaican rum.

For anyone interested, I've taken this idea and run with it over in the Sandbox. Join in the RP, if y'all care to:

Everyone goes to Bogies - a Parrotpunk RP! :cool:

I remembered something about a "modern" Arda, but decided that they wouldn't mind if I had my own shot at it. So that was you? Sorry if I ticked you off... :(

Bruce

It's all right, you can continue with your idea.
I don't mind at all, since I doubt we would get entirely identical outcomes.

I haven't worked on my version for quite a long time, but IIRC, it was somewhat less dystopic in tone and not too far in the future yet. ;) I had events like The Unified Kingdom overcoming its differences with Harad after a few decades and forming an alliance against the Corsairs of Umbar and other last remnants of the Black Númenoreans. Then they moved on to defend the borders of Middle Earth from the Easterlings, who have sufficiently risen in numbers and military strenghth in the power vacuum left after the defeat of Mordor. The Dunlanders and Rohirrim made a treaty similar to the Gondor-Harad one and continued aiding the Kingdom in the aforementioned wars by the sea of Rhun and in the east of Middle Earth. I also remember Gimli making an agreement with Eómer and buying the caves near Helm's Deep, where he helped establish that dream project of his - a small dwarven city inhabited by colonists from the Lonely Mountain. And after Arwen's death, the only remaining elves were practically the Sindarin from Mirkwood. By that point, Lórien, Rivendell and even the Grey Havens have been abandoned for at least a few years, already decaying.

I didn't get too far with TL or story though - the last parts written so far were set in the later years of Eldarion's reign, and there were some subplots about internal tensions in Gondor and some other similar stuff... I think I'll take a look at it soon, if I manage to find some spare time.

Last edited:
A few points.

Cannonically it is stated that:

-Gimli became lord of the Glittering Caves (Helms Deep) the dwaves there would make great gates of Mithril for Minas Tirith.
-Legolas and other elves settled in Ithilien until the death of Aragon. He and Gimli then sailed to Valinor
-Merry and Pippin journeyed south, died and were buried in Minas Tirith, they would be placed next to the eventual tomb of Aragon
-Sam's children became rulers of the Westmarch. He would leave Middle Earth (as last of the Ring-Bearers) shortly after Merry and Pippin head south.
-Arwen returned to a near-deserted Lorien to die.

I think it probable Sam leaves with the last ship from the Grey Havens. Legolas built his own ship, probably many of the elves from Ithilien and Greenwood did the same. I imagine Rivendell became property of the King and many historical documents were copied, translated, transferred to Minas Tirith etc.

I also think it's said that the Palentir from the Tower Hills went across the sea with Gandalf. It's safe to assume the Orthanc one is the only useable one left.

A few points.

Legolas and other elves settled in Ithilien until the death of Aragon. He and Gimli then sailed to Valinor. I think it probable Sam leaves with the last ship from the Grey Havens. Legolas built his own ship, probably many of the elves from Ithilien and Greenwood did the same. I imagine Rivendell became property of the King and many historical documents were copied, translated, transferred to Minas Tirith etc.

In my stories, the ultimate fates of the surviving members of the Fellowship followed the Appendixes word-by-word, but now you pointed out a few possible inconsistences and minor plot holes I may have done - especially the notion of Rivendell and Lórien being completely abandoned. It really wouldn't make sense - unless the elves begged Aragorn to leave their former settlements to decay, which I doubt. As for the Mirkwood elves : Some of them followed Legolas to his new fiefs in Ithilien and later beyond the sea, but most of the population remained in Mirkwood.

Hm, I really feel like looking into those notes and rough drafts of mine. It's been a long time... :)

Lawyer-Punk-

Simply picture a world in which you can sue for everything. The wrong directions which made you walk almost a mile and made your feet hurt? That is battary. Call your girlfriend a bitch? You are held for liable. Saw a documentary on the holocaust and got sad? Intentional infliction of emotional distress against the History Channel. The world is split into three areas, the first is the general public which is this regimented, extremely controled place. People do not want to get sued so take every precaution possible. The second level are the court systems, massive crowded places in which cases are heard amost all day long. It is hear we see lawyers, judges, and more trying to handle the growing case loads. Criminal cases are so low on their list police tend to pass judgements on their own, which in turn goes throguh five appeals courts to ensure the judgement was proper (most times it is not). The final level are the clerks, which are the poor people running through maze like storage rooms ensuring cases reach trial.

LOL, pretty dystopic... :eek: :)

I think it would be kinda cool. Pushing the ability to sue as far as possible. Ads would be like six or seven pages long to ensure no one is mislead. People would smoke in these sealed chambers to ensure they do not harm another. Current 2nd amendment battles run around if it is okay to own a gun with a safety lock, and a safe, or if the importance is to have a safe and a seperate storage area for bullets.

HammerPunk!

A world in which the mysterious and unreliable ability of Japanese schoolgirls to produce hammers to smash perverts has been harnessed by science. Space industry and exploration has particularly benefited, with the ability of Japanese schoolgirls to hit bakas into low orbit being applied to the satellite business, and longer-range manned spaceships now being propelled once in space by relay teams of Japanese schoolgirls throwing large hammers off the back. (The acceleration is low, but the fuel supply is essentially unlimited). Not that there isn't a dark side to this brave new world: severe contusions and skull fractures have skyrocketed among the Japanese molester population, and the constant development of more powerful drugs to allow girls to achieve the "zen of hammer" has led to occasional tragedies, such as the "Yokahama smashing incident."

or,

HammerPunk!

The world's greatest musician and pop star, the man whose music changed the world, has been elected to the Presidency. This has led to howls of protest from conservative forces, who ridicule the idea of a "mere performer" being qualified for office. Indeed, the challenges the new president faces at home and abroad are worrisome: although he has the youth of the world behind him, to dictators worldwide he is a dangerously destabilizing force. There have been multiple rumors of assassination plots, but the new president has laughed them off, in his last press conference claiming "They can't touch this!"

Bruce

HammerPunk!

A world in which the mysterious and unreliable ability of Japanese schoolgirls to produce hammers to smash perverts has been harnessed by science. Space industry and exploration has particularly benefited, with the ability of Japanese schoolgirls to hit bakas into low orbit being applied to the satellite business, and longer-range manned spaceships now being propelled once in space by relay teams of Japanese schoolgirls throwing large hammers off the back. (The acceleration is low, but the fuel supply is essentially unlimited). Not that there isn't a dark side to this brave new world: severe contusions and skull fractures have skyrocketed among the Japanese molester population, and the constant development of more powerful drugs to allow girls to achieve the "zen of hammer" has led to occasional tragedies, such as the "Yokahama smashing incident."

or,

HammerPunk!

The world's greatest musician and pop star, the man whose music changed the world, has been elected to the Presidency. This has led to howls of protest from conservative forces, who ridicule the idea of a "mere performer" being qualified for office. Indeed, the challenges the new president faces at home and abroad are worrisome: although he has the youth of the world behind him, to dictators worldwide he is a dangerously destabilizing force. There have been multiple rumors of assassination plots, but the new president has laughed them off, in his last press conference claiming "They can't touch this!"

Bruce

Or:

Hammerpunk!

A world where every gothic movie monster is real, lighting and thunder only strike when dramatically relevent, every scientist is mad (with labs that never saw an OSHA visit), every full moon sees werewolves running amok, and every man of class and sophistication is a vampire.

Ergo the world according to Hammer Horror flicks! :D Remarkably like Uberwald, actually.

New idea:

Nouveau-Punk, basically Steam-Punk but with a more organic, artistic Art Nouveau flair.

Inspired by these subway entryways:

8.1250604453.paris-metropolitan.jpg

Sachyriel

Banned
Triple Punk

Like Punk-Punk the world is basically divided into warring factions of punks; Steampunks, cyberpunks, scumpunks, noirpunks and junkpunks etc. In Punk-Punk you are a normal person who tries to make it in this world.

Or something like that.

Here is gets confusing. The entire world is you from Punk Punk, everyone thinks someone else is a punk. You are the only real punk in the entire world. You must overcome discrimination against being an "Open Punk" from all the "Closed Punks" who are normal people living in this Punk-Squared World.

With everyone else at each others throats over imaginary punkness and thinking they're being targeted for being a punk in the minds of their enemies (and thinking their enemies are punks) you have to find a way to bring peace to imaginary punkland. Thank god you're like, as Genre-saavy as the fucking Joker, you know exactly how to fix this.

By being the best damn Triple-Punk-Punk you can be!