New game: Create the most original or insane "something-punk" subgenre yet !

Inspired by this thread, which we had not so long ago.

Simply put : Try to create the most original, hilarious or insane premise for a "-punk" setting. On your marks, get set, go !

Here are a few examples :

The Eastern Front, Late 1941:

"Mein Oberst, a radio message has arrived from OKH saying the Spanish volunteers from the Blue Division should be arriving today. But there's one thing I do not understand..."
"...yes, what is it?"
"...well, Herr Oberst, the message says they will be arriving in their own "war machines". I thought they were infantry soldiers?"
What had been a barely perceptible hum in the background of the artillery fire became a deafening roar as five mechanical men, twenty meters tall each, pass over the German positions at enormous speed...

Red berets on their heads, and what looked like thin moustaches on the ever smiling lips of these metal colossi, their torsos painted blue, on the right side of the chest in red the yoke and arrows of Falange, on the left a Sacred Heart pulsing fire and red, shooting at the Russian positions with giant hand held mortars...

And then a single one, carrying a thirty meter tall Spanish Flag, landed, planted it, did a Roman salute and after a pause with a booming voice from some unseen tannoy said:
"coño Romerales, que al que tienen que oir es a usted traduciendo lo que le diga yo al alemán, no a mi, ponga el cable en el otro agujero, ese de..."(1)
...and then in oddly accented German (2)
"Impegial salutations fgom the Blue Division! Lieutenant Genegal Agustin Muñoz Ggrandes and his pegsonal guard pgesenting themselves fog duty! Soggy for the inconvenience, the rest of the Division will be arriving in a few minutes. Long Live Fganco! Death to the Bolsheviks! Aggiva España!"

FROM INSIDE THE SECRET BASE AT THE VALLEY OF THE FALLEN,
- BUILT UNDER THE VERY NOSES OF THE INTERNATIONAL JUDEO-MASONIC CONSPIRACY-,
THOUSANDS OF MECHANICAL GLADIATORS!!!
READY TO DEFEND THE SPANISH ETERNAL VALUES
AND THE SPANISH UNITY OF DESTINY IN THE UNIVERSE
AS THE SPIRITUAL RESERVE OF THE WEST
FROM THE MENACE OF THE RED HORDE!!!

C&C:C! Red Alert 4: Command And Conquer:Caudillo!
Ladies and Gentlemen, I present you with... FrancoPunk!

(You could do an Italian version but rather than DucePunk, it should be called something like Fascismo MetalMeccanico (a name which I have the impression would have pleased the Futurists)

(1)Translation "fuck, Romerales, they have to hear you translating what I'm saying into German, not me, put the cable in the other socket, that one..."
(2)Apparently in OTL Muñoz Grandes had a radio operator and German translator who had a speech impediment. His accent was so bad it nearly got its plane shot by the Germans in OTL when asking for clearance to land -they thought it was Russians trying to impersonate German officers-. They used a particular music track played from a record as identification afterwards.

elpresidentepunk a.k.a. bananapunk

Stereotypical banana republic-themed alternate or fantasy worlds... :rolleyes:

:D :D :D :D

The most pretentious attempt at kick-starting a new something-punk was during the recent premiere of 9. The creator proposed... wait for it... stitchpunk ?! :eek: :rolleyes: :mad:

Derek C. F. Pegritz said:
I’m banging out a story that I’ve tentatively classified as “Blakepunk”, as it’s set in an alternate 1790s London in which the Hellenistic Greeks and then the Roman Empire invented all manner of wicked-ass technologies. By the late 18th Century, the American Revolution was fought with “lux-vent” (laser) tanks, nuclear weapons, and William Blake is an angel-possessed warrior in the post-nuke remains of London, leading a crack squad of cybernetic poet assassins to eliminate the Mad King George’s army of interdimensional Mechano-Hessian soldiers before they can take back the ruined city from the Congress of Liberators, led by the ghost of Mary Wollstonecraft and her half-machine husband William Godwin. Gods, I love the confusion of eras!

The third quote comes from a poster's idea in the comments section of this older article on Wired.

Have fun. :D

Sachyriel

Banned
A world where the protagonist is entranced by a social trend that has taken all the other -punk genres and he has to escape the horrible gang warfare that goes on between these factions. He's a fairly normal guy, for the place in which he lives (goggles, high boots, big coat, funky devices) and he thinks that living elsewhere would be better; you know, a place where trends like what age your jacket is from, aren't something to kill over.

I call it Doublepunk.;)

Louispunk-technology adapted so as to be in the style of Versailles (imagine, a hall of adjustable mirrors/one way mirrors 370ft. below sea level in a submarine.

Gothicpunk-A bit like Clockpunk, but with a more medieval feel.

Sovietpunk-Everything that the Stalinists's wanted Russia to be like (including that massive statue of Lenin with laser eyes.

Renaisancepunk: the designs of Leonardo da Vinci, Juanelo Turriano, Blasco de Garay and Federigo Giambelli come true... flying machines, tanks, machine-guns, robots, steam boats and explosive devices with the flavour of the Renaisance.

Stirlingpunk- A world where technology is based off of the Stirling Engine, and other external combustion models rather than steam or internal combustion.

A world where the protagonist is entranced by a social trend that has taken all the other -punk genres and he has to escape the horrible gang warfare that goes on between these factions. He's a fairly normal guy, for the place in which he lives (goggles, high boots, big coat, funky devices) and he thinks that living elsewhere would be better; you know, a place where trends like what age your jacket is from, aren't something to kill over. I call it Doublepunk.;)

A most excellent idea ! :D Love it... :)

Renaisancepunk: the designs of Leonardo da Vinci, Juanelo Turriano, Blasco de Garay and Federigo Giambelli come true... flying machines, tanks, machine-guns, robots, steam boats and explosive devices with the flavour of the Renaisance.

That would be pretty much Renaissance clockpunk, wouldn't it ?

Louispunk-technology adapted so as to be in the style of Versailles (imagine, a hall of adjustable mirrors/one way mirrors 370ft. below sea level in a submarine.

Lintpunk - Bellybuttons have become the source of a powerful new energy source. Battles for the Bellies ensue.

These = win ! :cool:

Stirlingpunk- A world where technology is based off of the Stirling Engine, and other external combustion models rather than steam or internal combustion.

A nod to our ol' Wicca-wanking Steve ? Or not ? :D

Last edited:
Dr. DoolittlePunk:

DOCTOR DOOLITTLE AND THE END OF THE WORLD

The story is set 100 years or so into the future of the early stories, circa 1940 or so. The knowledge of how to talk to animals has spread beyond the Doctor’s small circle (a young naturalist who has seen the doctor in action begs Tom Stubbins to teach him: Darwin or Huxley get involved?), and an aging Doctor, sick of the now-enormous fame that leaves him no time for his work, and no longer as closely involved with Stubbins (who has found wuv and is raising a family), ends up returning to the moon (with the aid of his animal friends in arranging a signal visible across space), to spend a peaceful retirement studying all the wonders of the Moon’s biology.

It is a story of multiple intertwined threads: the grandson and great-granddaughter of Tommy Stubbins and the great-grandaughter's boyfriend, investigating a 2012 - DaVinci Code - type mystery, involving ancient archeology, geology, and the secret history of the Earth; a race to the Moon by three great nations, involving dirigible Aether-fliers (technology is steampunk/diesel-punk); and a world-ending menace of almost unimaginable proportions.

The world is very different from our own, as a result of the discovery of animal sentience. World-wide spread of vegetarianism, a huge expansion of Buddhism, and an explosion of new sects and religions: animal cities and ghettoes: such ill-conceived effort as the Society to Promote Vegetarianism in Felines: such contrarians as the New Darwinian meat-eaters and knife-and-spear hunters, and the logical culmination of such thinking in Nazi cannibals. The multi-billion dollar industry in prosthetics and tools for fingerless animals, animal citizenship rights, and the ongoing struggle for an Independent Nation of the Serengeti. Submarines and zeppelins and mechanical moles, and the rodent Zero Population Growth movement.

A number of characters make an appearance, from the villainous Dr. Buzzby and his army of insect friends, to Sir Lester Bland, England’s first pig PM, and his gorilla valet. There are also the numerous descendants of the original White Mouse, a now very decrepit (and very snappish) Polynesia, the Puddelby Friends of Dr. Doolittle Society, the Crown Prince of Mars, Charles Lindberg, Otho the lunar giant, and, of course, Dr. Doolittle himself. After the threads of the story join, Dr. Doolittle and his companions must embark on a desperate trip across the solar system to save the world from an implacable judgment and, incidentally, figure out how to talk to a rock…
(Oh, and also the return of Long Arrow).

Bruce

ElectroBronze-punk. Its a universe where primitive batteries were invented much much earlier, and the people of the world have adapted to it quite well. Its most important function is as a telegraph like device, along with electric rail cars.

Vodunpunk or voodoopunk: Think 17th to early 19th century tech with the inclusion of mindless voodoo zombies, slaves who've been administered poison which destroys their minds to the point they can only do what is commanded by their master. Zombies have made their way into every facet of this TL's world, as they are cheap slaves that can perform the same task over and over again without boring and can't rebel or ask questions.

Amazonpunk: Nothing to do with matriarchy. The existence of pre-Columbian Amazonian societies has been proven. They were divided into medium sized villages that supported themselves by creating mixtures of ultra-fertile soil and thus were able to grow crops in conjunction with allowing the rainforest around them to continue to exist. Amazonpunk would therefore be a TL where, rather than large urban centers, the world was mostly still wilderness pebbled with medium-sized self-sufficient communities, which perserved natural resources around them.

Aeromunicipalismpunk: This one's a little harder to explain. The basic idea stems from Municipal Darwinism from the Mortal Engines series of novels, in which mobile cities chase and consume each other. The novels posit that such a system was inherently flawed as the existence of such cities means that the land they roam on can be used for little else, and that it slowly becomes harder and harder to build more cities and in turn, there is less and less "food" (resources and people) for the largest cities to support themselves with.
So instead, Aeromunicipal Darwinism replaces the tracked mobile cities with large zeppelins that each can carry up to 1000 people. Each zeppelin is an "animal" that depends on either "plants" or other "animals" for sustenance. "Plants" are farming, mining, or manufacturing stations or small towns that exchange the goods they produce with zeppelins. "Herbivores" trade the cargo they carry or can produce with other "herbivores" and with the "plants". "Herbivores" are the most numerous type of zeppelin and tend to be the largest, as they often rely on the ability to carry cargo, not speed. "Carnivores" are pirate airships that sneak up on "herbivores" and board them, holding the crew hostage for a ransom of cargo. "Carnivores" are almost always very small and very fast. Firearms are never used, nor are any weapon that could cause damage to the zeppelins themselves. Instead, the crews of "carnivores" or the defending crews of "herbivores" use increasingly advanced hand-to-hand weapons and light but powerful armor.

Amazonpunk: snip

Aeromunicipalismpunk: snip

Very nice ideas. :cool: I liked the whole voodoopunk thing less, zombies are way too overused, IMHO.

ElectroBronze-punk. Its a universe where primitive batteries were invented much much earlier, and the people of the world have adapted to it quite well. Its most important function is as a telegraph like device, along with electric rail cars.

Baghdad batteries techwank ? :D You can't go wrong with things as awesome as that... :)

Toiletpunk. Specially aimed at five-year olds or immature people.

Bravo. :D

Last edited:
Digitalpunk. Almost everything imaginable uses digital technology - even doors, which use something similar in appearance to a USB drive instead of a metal key. It's a utopia until a hacker comes around and decides to download a virus into a traffic light, or something.

DISSIDENT

Banned
"A world where the protagonist is entranced by a social trend that has taken all the other -punk genres and he has to escape the horrible gang warfare that goes on between these factions. He's a fairly normal guy, for the place in which he lives (goggles, high boots, big coat, funky devices) and he thinks that living elsewhere would be better; you know, a place where trends like what age your jacket is from, aren't something to kill over.

I call it Doublepunk."

This describes my life. I am very into punk music. So are alot of other people I know, who divided into warring factions (crusty punks, skinheads, emo kids, 2 tone ska revivalists, third wave ska kids, goths, nu metal kids, old metal kids, pop punks, hardcore kids, indie kids). I am a fairly normal guy for the circumstances I lived in, even had goggles and living elsewhere was better, because I moved to California, and they do not attack one another based on lack of mohawk or insufficient knowledge of NOFX songs.