New Forum section required

Discussion in 'Help and Rules' started by Albert.Nik, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Albert.Nik Well-Known Member

The Geology,Evolution of the Universe and Evolution of life branches of Science are pushed into the ASB. I don't think thats fair enough for those who are interested in those sciences very much like myself. ASB is diluted with Magic and alien actions so these Sciences don't get notice there much. I request the Moderators and Admin to create one Forum section for this. What's everybody's opinion on this?

2. Zagan Donor

Negative.

ASB POD means that it would need something more than human intervention for the change. Your PODs thus fit it perfectly as there is no way humans could have changed something in the history of the Universe, geologic history of Terra or evolution of life forms.*

* Yes, there are small exceptions obviously. "What if humans did not create the saint bernard dog breed?" is not ASB because it concers a small evolutionary change actually made by humans.

Simeon and Hallowmaster like this.
  3. BiteNibbleChomp I like watching Survivor.

ASB currently has 1.3M posts.

Before 1900 has 1.3M
    After 1900 has 1.9M

Mods/Ian have said there's no urgent need to break up the non-ASB forums. ASB is fine too I guess.

- BNC

King_Arthur and Zagan like this.
  4. Albert.Nik Well-Known Member

ASB is flooded with Magic and Alien related timelines. I would say there be a separate Sub-Forum for Geology,Astronomy and Evolution PODs which would be Scientific PODs. Why not leave ASB for those timelines and move Science related non Human intervention PODs into a new Section? It could be titled "Alternate History section: Natural PODs" or something like that.

5. Zagan Donor

I have provided my reasoning, which is, by the way, similar to what the moderators have already provided in many similar threads. You have simply restated your wish from the first post. I have nothing to add.

Tim Thomason likes this.
  6. BiteNibbleChomp I like watching Survivor.

For another thing, I just looked through the first three pages of ASB (that is, ~90 total threads). I think I counted four that would go under natural PoDs. That makes natural PoDs approx. 5% of the total size of the forum (and the separate forum would be a third the size of the Writers Forum if created). Not sure it is really worth it tbh.

Like, I get your idea, but it doesn't make a heap of sense for a site about history. When most people think of history, they think of stuff from the last 10,000 years. Pangaea remaining a thing is a question that is better asked on a site where people are more interested in geology, and so while it is a legitimate question, most users on this site in particular aren't going to be too concerned about it.

Not to mention that splitting up forums means that people who aren't specifically looking for that topic are simply going to ignore the forum. I for instance have had Fandom on ignore since pretty soon after it became a thing, so I'm never going to see any of the threads about that stuff. In the past, a thread like "What if Marty died in Back to the Future 3" would have been in ASB instead, and as I browse ASB occasionally, there is some chance I would at least give the thread a read. Now that it is in Fandom, I would not see it at all. The same thing applies here - someone browsing ASB might go "oh Pangaea thread, let's read this it might be interesting", but if there's a geological forum, they probably wouldn't.

- BNC

Evan, Jammy, Gabzcervo and 1 other person like this.
  7. Albert.Nik Well-Known Member

Okay, If not a new section,at least suffixes like the Political Chat section could be introduced.

Evan, Xenophonte and Zagan like this.
  8. Albert.Nik Well-Known Member

So what's the defining boundary of ASB? Where does it begin from?

9. The Professor Pontifex Collegii Vexillographiariorum

This could help a little.
    What labels do people think?

Anything that requires more than human intervention or random chance. Such as Alien Space Bats, Gods and other supernatural beings, magic, and similar.

10. Xenophonte Quod natura non dat, Salmantica non præstat.

Well, I suggest at least three:General ('common ASB', Geological/Geophysical and Evolutionary/Biological...

I think that with these three categories would be sufficient and that would be self-explanatory.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  11. Albert.Nik Well-Known Member

Okay,what about advanced Humans building a Time Machine capable of taking to the past in the far future? Would that be ASB or FH! :p
    Just don't take this personally. I just asked jokingly! Anyway can anyone say where this belongs to?

12. BiteNibbleChomp I like watching Survivor.

ASB. The laws of physics, as we understand them, don't allow for time travel.

- BNC

Zagan likes this.