New Deal Coalition Retained Pt II: World on Fire

Yeah, everyone in Japan alive during World War II remembers how horribly it ended the last time Japan tried something like that (hell, Mishma only needs to travel to the memorial in Hiroshima to see how that turned out); every city had the crap bombed out of it and two were nuked, the only times nukes have been used IOTL (and, up to this point, ITTL)...

On a 1988 party line vote in the Diet and unanimous vote in the House of Peers, Mishima restructured the State of Japan back into the Empire of Japan – normally it would have dominated headlines across the world, but the world was busy with the tensions between the great power blocs and it went largely ignored

I love the post, but this seemed odd. How could the world not notice? It seems a bit strange that, even amidst great power tensions, the resurrection of one of great powers in the Second World War would have been missed. At the very least it would have been important to the world for the possibilities of greater instability in Asia. If Nazi Germany had returned I think someone would have noticed.

On another note, although China might be troubled by Japanese intervention, and will surely use this as an opportunity to score some propaganda points with its own population in terms of vilifying American and NATO for association with the Japanese, their basic calculations about the war should not have changed. I do wonder if China will make any moves against Taiwan while America is busy? While it is a big risk, the Americans might not want to risk war with China over a non-ally, and actually defeating the Taiwanese without American support shouldn't be too difficult.

And yet, they picked the same name as the old Japan, took away their pacifism....
Essentially, Mishima is trying to reset to just prior to the militarist takeover and then proceed as Japan should have done
I love the post, but this seemed odd. How could the world not notice? It seems a bit strange that, even amidst great power tensions, the resurrection of one of great powers in the Second World War would have been missed. At the very least it would have been important to the world for the possibilities of greater instability in Asia. If Nazi Germany had returned I think someone would have noticed.

On another note, although China might be troubled by Japanese intervention, and will surely use this as an opportunity to score some propaganda points with its own population in terms of vilifying American and NATO for association with the Japanese, their basic calculations about the war should not have changed. I do wonder if China will make any moves against Taiwan while America is busy? While it is a big risk, the Americans might not want to risk war with China over a non-ally, and actually defeating the Taiwanese without American support shouldn't be too difficult.
They did notice, but with World War Three close to breaking out it wasn't high on the list of priorities. China will use this, but is trying to survive the war first

Oh, yeah, one of the casualties in the Battle of the Rhine was a rather...infamous USA Gymnastics/MSU sports doctor who was in the news recently (who won't become that ITTL)...

I don't think I need to mention his name, of course...

It's possible, but that would assume the US is willing to take the huge hit to international trust if it allows the PRC to do such a thing. Such an allowance by the US would most likely be viewed as the US having failed in its duty to defend its allies, and considering that is a huge part of what makes NATO work, I honesty doubt China would risk an invasion of Taiwan.

Similar to how the US crossing the 38th parallel into North Korea triggered the PRC counterattack, an attack on Taiwan would mostly likely force the US into a corner: either abandon Taiwan and lose face internationally or counterattack and trigger war, something neither of them want, but a decision the US may ultimately decide to be a necessary one. Not to mention that such an war would inevitably force China into the USSR camp, something neither the US and Southeast Asian allies nor any countries that follow the Chinese version of communism want.

And even if they do somehow manage to take over Taiwan and stave off any US response, I doubt China's international image is going to look good afterwards. Assuming they do go through with such an act, the PR hit may surpass even the aftermath of the Korean War. Say goodbye to any semblance of diplomatic relations with the western bloc, and say hello to a treacherous "alliance" with the USSR and its allies (if it even still exists after WWIII). Not to mention any further moves into Europe or Asia are going to be watched and countered much more vigorously by the US.

In short, imagine Francoist Spain after WWII: cut off diplomatically, politically, and economically until some other threat cropping up in the region persuades the western bloc to open up to the PRC again, which may take decades. And in that time, China's economy will be suffering, potentially creating "lost decade(s)" a la Japan style.

So Mishima wants the Taishō era to comeback in a way?
Not really, Minseito's overarching policy goal is two-fold: one, to stave off the demographic and cultural decline that happens in OTL, and two, to put Japan on the same footing it was before the militarists took over in the mid-1930s so it can turn into a world power in the way it was meant to, free from the faults and barbarism of the IJA radicals

Not really, Minseito's overarching policy goal is two-fold: one, to stave off the demographic and cultural decline that happens in OTL, and two, to put Japan on the same footing it was before the militarists took over in the mid-1930s so it can turn into a world power in the way it was meant to, free from the faults and barbarism of the IJA radicals
Oh, okay. Sounds good to me.

That sounds...actually decent.

Pretty good idea by miseito's there.

It will, but Prime Minister Mishima disdains Otaku culture
I mean, it did result in things like this: https://en.rocketnews24.com/2017/11...-characters-provides-family-support-benefits/

Alternatively, if you're a fan of naval history, you turn this
1200px-BB61_USS_Iowa_BB61_broadside_USN.jpg

Into this:
Iowa.%28Kantai.Collection%29.full.2131547.jpg