New Deal Coalition Retained III: A New World

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Elders Meet

August 15th, 2001:
Despite the stuffy atmosphere of the room, it could be guaranteed that there were no wiretaps in the room or on any of the personnel of the meeting. One of the benefits, perhaps, of having the top brass of the FBI involved was that one had such peace of mind to speak freely. The dining Enclave Hotel in D.C. was a place accustomed to meetings involving classified information, and ensuring there were no leaks was paramount to the success of their schemings.

After the final clearance that there were no signs of a raid, the men sat down and promptly went to the topic of business. Mueller’s new file on the president was giving even more damning evidence. A Presidential steak knife had DNA that matched the remains of James Pope’s body after he had supposedly slit his own wrists and fell into a creek somewhere in Northern Virginia, after what police presumed was a business proposition in Washington fell through. The knife was about to be sold to a collector as part of a Bundy-ite revenue scheme, (selling collectibles to fund White House renovations), but had been sneaked away by one Agent Fitzgerald. Moreover, Teddy Nguema, the president’s mysterious confidante and protege, had been seen using a Secret Service car in the area where the body was later found, and shortly after the time of death. The witnesses were a group of drunk Georgetown Prep kids trying to make out in a “secret spot”. Thankfully the runt of the litter, a shorter, fatter, nerd- the designated driver of the group- was politics-obsessed enough to identify Nguema. Even more damning for the president, White House audio tapes revealed that Mr. Pope had made multiple personal visits, but not on any official agenda to the White House in the past year. Most assumed he was a “minister-without-portfolio” character, or just an unofficial adviser, though he had no official relationship to the administration.

More evidence came from multiple witnesses, who all recalled that Bundy had been visibly irritated after his meetings with the businessman. Chances were they had one last visit at his residence when the deed was done. A rather pretty secretary observed that Bundy had been especially flirty to her that night, to the point where she had to sternly, but politely, remind him he was married. According to her account, overall Bundy was “in the best of moods” the night Pope died. Given the evidence on Bundy’s mental state, one could easily connect the dots about what happened that night, which would explain his abnormal behavior.

Earlier in the meeting, Romney had proposed impeachment on the grounds of committing high crimes. He claimed it would show nobility and honesty that a party would be willing to impeach its own president, and that voters would remember that come the midterms. The men all looked each other in the eye, trying to read the other’s emotions. Everyone made varying sounds of approval before moving onto the next topic at hand. It was not discussed again until Trump spoke up. While he was initially detailing his plans to restore trust in the case that the nation’s economy was affected, he quickly changed the subject in the middle of his statement.
Trump began a tirade over how voter stupidity would make the announcement of these charges fodder for opposition ads, and allow the Democrats and Progressives to team up to “transform America within a generation, and turn us into the SFSR but with Giant Marble Statues of George Wallace everywhere”. While it was one of the more unexpected of Trump’s rants, given that the oil was running dry and that it was approaching midnight, it was quite convincing for most in the room. Trump was making points they were too afraid to say out loud. However unpolished he was, he made a point. “Besides,” he added, “I don’t expect many senators to cross party lines to remove their president.” Romney agreed.

However, while all the parties involved had many reasons why NOT to do this or that, few could unite this secret cabal, getting rid of this scourge of a president, as quickly as possible. America depended on them, whether they knew it or not. They had to strike while the iron was hot, or before loyalists to the president found out. The Vice President would know their intentions were noble, though Press Secretary Alex Jones would be another story. As for the people in the room, none of them had anything to gain politically by leaking to the press, so they all trusted that no one would do so. If anyone did leak, their political careers would be as ruined as everyone else’s.

It seemed that there was no more use in talking, so they agreed to adjourn until some point in the next month. One of the members of Mueller’s personal detail, who had been fully briefed on the events, walked up to Romney as he was about to leave. “Hello, Mr. Mc--”
“Call me Evan.”
“Alright Evan, what is it? Is it about this meeting?”
“Well, I was just wondering. Trump might have a point, much as I disagree with his aesthetics. We got to do something to save our democracy, like I don’t know…”
“What are you thinking of?”
Mr. McMullin eyed the room before leaning in to whisper in his ear. “Oh never mind, but you’ll hear from me soon.”

Before taking care of parting business, they decided upon the date that they would take action. September 5th.
The plot thickens!

PNWKing

Banned
If Jones is anything like his OTL self...…although he was born in 1971 and the POD is 1956, so it is possible that he has some changes...…..he is probably privately #JamesPopeDidn'tKillHimself.

PNWKing

Banned
Also, Mueller involved in an actual "deep state" and getting Trump involved is probably the greatest irony in this one since Steve Bannon converting to Islam (was that real and part of this or was that another TL.....)

Deleted member 87099

The Elders Meet

August 15th, 2001:
Despite the stuffy atmosphere of the room, it could be guaranteed that there were no wiretaps in the room or on any of the personnel of the meeting. One of the benefits, perhaps, of having the top brass of the FBI involved was that one had such peace of mind to speak freely. The dining Enclave Hotel in D.C. was a place accustomed to meetings involving classified information, and ensuring there were no leaks was paramount to the success of their schemings.

After the final clearance that there were no signs of a raid, the men sat down and promptly went to the topic of business. Mueller’s new file on the president was giving even more damning evidence. A Presidential steak knife had DNA that matched the remains of James Pope’s body after he had supposedly slit his own wrists and fell into a creek somewhere in Northern Virginia, after what police presumed was a business proposition in Washington fell through. The knife was about to be sold to a collector as part of a Bundy-ite revenue scheme, (selling collectibles to fund White House renovations), but had been sneaked away by one Agent Fitzgerald. Moreover, Teddy Nguema, the president’s mysterious confidante and protege, had been seen using a Secret Service car in the area where the body was later found, and shortly after the time of death. The witnesses were a group of drunk Georgetown Prep kids trying to make out in a “secret spot”. Thankfully the runt of the litter, a shorter, fatter, nerd- the designated driver of the group- was politics-obsessed enough to identify Nguema. Even more damning for the president, White House audio tapes revealed that Mr. Pope had made multiple personal visits, but not on any official agenda to the White House in the past year. Most assumed he was a “minister-without-portfolio” character, or just an unofficial adviser, though he had no official relationship to the administration.

More evidence came from multiple witnesses, who all recalled that Bundy had been visibly irritated after his meetings with the businessman. Chances were they had one last visit at his residence when the deed was done. A rather pretty secretary observed that Bundy had been especially flirty to her that night, to the point where she had to sternly, but politely, remind him he was married. According to her account, overall Bundy was “in the best of moods” the night Pope died. Given the evidence on Bundy’s mental state, one could easily connect the dots about what happened that night, which would explain his abnormal behavior.

Earlier in the meeting, Romney had proposed impeachment on the grounds of committing high crimes. He claimed it would show nobility and honesty that a party would be willing to impeach its own president, and that voters would remember that come the midterms. The men all looked each other in the eye, trying to read the other’s emotions. Everyone made varying sounds of approval before moving onto the next topic at hand. It was not discussed again until Trump spoke up. While he was initially detailing his plans to restore trust in the case that the nation’s economy was affected, he quickly changed the subject in the middle of his statement.
Trump began a tirade over how voter stupidity would make the announcement of these charges fodder for opposition ads, and allow the Democrats and Progressives to team up to “transform America within a generation, and turn us into the SFSR but with Giant Marble Statues of George Wallace everywhere”. While it was one of the more unexpected of Trump’s rants, given that the oil was running dry and that it was approaching midnight, it was quite convincing for most in the room. Trump was making points they were too afraid to say out loud. However unpolished he was, he made a point. “Besides,” he added, “I don’t expect many senators to cross party lines to remove their president.” Romney agreed.

However, while all the parties involved had many reasons why NOT to do this or that, few could unite this secret cabal, getting rid of this scourge of a president, as quickly as possible. America depended on them, whether they knew it or not. They had to strike while the iron was hot, or before loyalists to the president found out. The Vice President would know their intentions were noble, though Press Secretary Alex Jones would be another story. As for the people in the room, none of them had anything to gain politically by leaking to the press, so they all trusted that no one would do so. If anyone did leak, their political careers would be as ruined as everyone else’s.

It seemed that there was no more use in talking, so they agreed to adjourn until some point in the next month. One of the members of Mueller’s personal detail, who had been fully briefed on the events, walked up to Romney as he was about to leave. “Hello, Mr. Mc--”
“Call me Evan.”
“Alright Evan, what is it? Is it about this meeting?”
“Well, I was just wondering. Trump might have a point, much as I disagree with his aesthetics. We got to do something to save our democracy, like I don’t know…”
“What are you thinking of?”
Mr. McMullin eyed the room before leaning in to whisper in his ear. “Oh never mind, but you’ll hear from me soon.”

Before taking care of parting business, they decided upon the date that they would take action. September 5th.

Wow. Romney, Trump, and the rest of the gang must be real monsters if they're willing to cover up Bundy's heinous crimes to save their own political careers.

Deleted member 87099

Wait, where did it say that?

Wow. Romney, Trump, and the rest of the gang must be real monsters if they're willing to cover up Bundy's heinous crimes to save their own political careers.

They're politicians, after all, and interested on saving their careers. However, let's not forget that they came with the initiative to keep an eye on Bundy, so they at least deserve this credit.

Deleted member 87099

They're politicians, after all, and interested on saving their careers. However, let's not forget that they came with the initiative to keep an eye on Bundy, so they at least deserve this credit.

No, they don't deserve credit. They're preventing a serial killer's victims from getting justice because their self-interest out weighs their concern for their fellow man, They're not doing all this because they need to stop Bundy, they're doing all this because if it gets out - which it seems pretty close to - it would destroy their careers. Any politician that would miscarry justice in this way would be awful.

Uhhh, that doesn't mean that they're gonna keep Bundy's misdeeds under wraps forever-they're just waiting for the right moment to expose them..

It sounds like they're gonna keep this stuff under wraps for as long as possible. I don't trust that any of them would be willing to say "oh yeah and that GOP President from a few years ago? We murdered him because he's a serial killer but we also destroyed evidence of his crimes so that we could all stay in office. I guess you could say we're pretty cool :cool:" If they're not willing to out Bundy now for the greater good then I doubt they ever will.

No, they don't deserve credit. They're preventing a serial killer's victims from getting justice because their self-interest out weighs their concern for their fellow man, They're not doing all this because they need to stop Bundy, they're doing all this because if it gets out - which it seems pretty close to - it would destroy their careers. Any politician that would miscarry justice in this way would be awful.

It sounds like they're gonna keep this stuff under wraps for as long as possible. I don't trust that any of them would be willing to say "oh yeah and that GOP President from a few years ago? We murdered him because he's a serial killer but we also destroyed evidence of his crimes so that we could all stay in office. I guess you could say we're pretty cool :cool:" If they're not willing to out Bundy now for the greater good then I doubt they ever will.
There is an argument that a President being exposed as a serial killer who started a war in order to vicariously get off on the death of tens of millions would end up being worse to the national psyche than Watergate, the Great Depression, and the civil war all put together.

Deleted member 87099

There is an argument that a President being exposed as a serial killer who started a war in order to vicariously get off on the death of tens of millions would end up being worse to the national psyche than Watergate, the Great Depression, and the civil war all put together.

Then maybe, if the actions of the President are that despicable, that creates an even greater imperative that people know about it. Watergate, the Great Depression, and the Civil War were all terrible periods in our nation's history but they each taught many very important and valuable lessons that were arguably necessary for the United States to continue as a credible global power.

I don't buy into this morale bullshit. It's not right that a government would morally justify its grotesque coverup of nearly unprecedented crimes with the same logic that parents use to spare their young children from certain tragedy. People should learn the truth about how their government operates and if its so bad that it would be devastating to hear, then that means they have even more reason that they have to hear it.

A self-interested coup like the one described is nothing short of an unaccountable miscarriage of democratic government.

It might be just me, but I feel like a group of Cabinet officials consciously preventing the President being exposed as a psychotic serial killer out of pure self-interest and partisanship would be much more damaging to the national psyche and the stability of the party that the officials happen to be part of.

Last edited:
Did you even read this part?

Yes, I read the whole thing. They explicitly say that they're not gonna go to the press and instead just off Bundy on their own.
The issue with what you say is that... honestly, America hasn't ever endured anything close to what having the twice-elected President as someone who's crimes could honestly rival Hitler or Stalin or Mao in scope and dwarf them in sheer audacity (not as part of a program, just for his own sick ends). Watergate comes closest but still undershoots it by miles (Nixon's wrongdoing was fundamentally harmless in the scheme of things since the Watergate break in did nothing in terms of real world harm; the wrongdoing was in that it actually happened). With Watergate the blow to the national psyche to see Nixon go through that was huge... the Bundy crimes would be far, far, far worse, akin to the most brutal of depressions for the nation.

Ironically and tragically for the US system, Bundy has gotten so high that he's become too big to fail.

Granted, there are more selfish reasons for them to go about this don't get me wrong. What we find is a moral grey area where you have both selfless and selfish reasons for this to happen. There are ultimately no good options.

Ya know it would be one thing for the President to be a serial killer, but, it would be a whole other thing for it to come out later that not only was their President a serial killer but that his party, half of the government, worked to actively cover it up

Deleted member 87099

The issue with what you say is that... honestly, America hasn't ever endured anything close to what having the twice-elected President as someone who's crimes could honestly rival Hitler or Stalin or Mao in scope and dwarf them in sheer audacity (not as part of a program, just for his own sick ends). Watergate comes closest but still undershoots it by miles (Nixon's wrongdoing was fundamentally harmless in the scheme of things since the Watergate break in did nothing in terms of real world harm; the wrongdoing was in that it actually happened). With Watergate the blow to the national psyche to see Nixon go through that was huge... the Bundy crimes would be far, far, far worse, akin to the most brutal of depressions for the nation.

Ironically and tragically for the US system, Bundy has gotten so high that he's become too big to fail.

Granted, there are more selfish reasons for them to go about this don't get me wrong. What we find is a moral grey area where you have both selfless and selfish reasons for this to happen. There are ultimately no good options.

Covering up the actions of a monster to save your own skin is not a morally grey area.

Human beings can never be "too big to fail" I doubt the country is built around Bundy and even if it was its necessary that people understand the kind of man he truly is. You're papering over the good that uncovering Watergate did (it made many Americans value government transparency for the first time ever) and I imagine that uncovering Bundy's crimes would do similar good, or at least make Americans take mental health or their elected officials more seriously. I highly doubt that "national morale" or whatever would be so damaged that Americans masochistically walk around blaming themselves for Bundy's crimes or whatever.

Also, this nation, on a much broader level, has seen far worse things than a serial killer President. For hundreds of years the people of this country helped prop a system of slave labor, and for 100 years after that propped up a system of racial apartheid. The United States played an active role in the genocide of the Native Americans. I could go on but you should get the point by now. Just as with those tragedies, we only overcome them by learning from them, so it's not like there isn't historical precedent to show that that argument is bullshit.

Supreme Court Replacements

While Ted Bundy had made an impact on the courts, he’d never wanted to make it a core of his legacy. However, Robert Bork, a Supreme Court Justice from the times of the Reagan administration, had different ideas. That August, he suddenly announced that he would retire on September 3rd, requesting that his replacement be added by the 7th at the latest. Bundy had already made a shortlist of potential justices before the 2000 election, but within it “there were as many options as one finds in an ice cream shop”, to quote the New York Post. While generally conservative or moderate, the flavors were numerous. Many suspected Bundy would select an urbane or northern judge, especially after winning New York in 2000. It would be a good way to shore up the vote of Rockefellerites, by picking a moderate judge which would appeal to their interests. However, Bundy, always looking to avoid looking like he was appearing “too elitist”, would go the other way, continuing his habit of turning the political establishment on its head. During a recent court battle over the Citizen Donor Responsibility Act, Senator Shelby had taken time off of his senatorial duties to help defend the law. Moreover, as one of the most conservative Democratic senators, he had broken Bundy’s way on a few key votes, almost as often as Zell Miller. Moreover, Bundy also needed to reassure cultural conservatives that he would stay with them, and appear bi-partisan. Lastly, Shelby was currently haggling with Nick Modi over which state would get the majority of the pork for the new Mars Program. A promotion would remove him from this battle, and Shelby projected to be pretty consistent with Bundy’s judicial philosophy, although more civil rights-oriented Liberty Cons were wary of an Alabaman, especially prominent black Republicans. The choice seemed clear to Bundy. However, as an individual who hadn’t practiced the law in some time, he couldn’t become Chief Justice then and there. Justice Garza, a solid conservative in the Bork’s vein, a catholic Hispanic, and a Rumsfeld appointee would be an easy replacement. His vote would be uneventful, even if the usual suspects opposed his nomination.

1591280526279.png

Chief Justice of the Supreme Court

Shelby’s nomination would prove more controversial. Firstly, Dick Lamm forced Vice-President Meredith to force the Senate to lengthen the current session of Congress past its end date set for August 31st to September 7th.
Besides their recess being shortened by a week, complicating the plans of members of the Washington elite, there was also the issue of Bundy’s choice. During the hearings process, Shelby would reveal his “authoritarian streak” (The Nation)- believing in a looser interpretation of the commerce clause than many of his cohorts, and generally favoring granting the government the freedom to act “in the common interest” (from his Senate Testimony). His main differing point of opinion relative to Bork was with regards to anti-trust law.

Both the urban and rural wings of the Progressive Party were opposed to his nomination. Moreover, opposition Leader Lamm felt that he could win over enough liberal-leaning Rockefeller Republican types if he not only attacked Shelby’s record but went personal. Lowell P. Weicker, the highest-ranking Progressive on the Judiciary Committee, and one of the first ex-Republicans to join the Progressive Party, would launch the attack. Dick Lamm encouraged Weicker, who was rarely the adversarial type, to be “more aggressive than he’d ever been” and to “embrace his inner Ted”.

1591280764466.png

“What we have here is a mediocrity who wants to become part of the highest court in the land. He was a mediocre student who attended the mediocre University of Alabama followed by an unremarkable tenure at a no-name law school, this mediocrity leveraged his machine connections to become a mediocre senator for dare I say it...a mediocre state. He has a backwoods judicial philosophy not ingrained in any serious intellectual tradition...this stream of thought, none dare legitimize it as a philosophy... Merely rubber-stamps whatever the executive branch or the baptist church would demand. Regressive appointments like him are why I left the President’s Party and joined the Progressive Party early on. I can think of no better symbol for why my party endorses a return to the 9-justice system our founders intended instead of this 11-man zoo instituted by Mr. George Corley Wallace.”-Lowell P. Weicker

Needless to say, this failed spectacularly. The message, nor the messenger, were good choices. The debacle alienated more liberal Democrats who might have opposed Shelby ideologically, but now felt that Weicker had attacked prosecutors and trial lawyers who had graduated from state universities: many of whom they relied upon for support. The South, needless to say, was unhappy. Senator Andy Griffith expressed an attitude many held, even if in more of a comedic tone: “I think mediocrities and Southerners deserve representation on the court too”. Furthermore, all but the most liberal of northern Republicans had wanted to disassociate themselves from ex-Republicans like Weicker who had left for the Progressives, and overall, they didn’t want urban Democrats attacking them for being elitist or for being soft on crime. Shelby would pass in a close vote, with unanimous Democratic support and unanimous Progressive opposition. Only a few members of the Republican party defected to oppose the nomination, including Scott, Schwarzenegger, Whitman, and Herer. State House Leader and fellow “Bundycrat”, Jeff Sessions, would replace Shelby in the Senate. Dick Lamm came out of the mess looking incompetent, dropping the overall approval ratings of the Progressive Party as a result. After a streak of bad decisions, it seemed his time as part of leadership was coming to a close. The party was ready for a change, and many were already shaping up to contest him for this role.

The irony, of course, would be that Shelby did become as mediocre a man as one could be after joining the list of those greats who have served on the Supreme Court. He would never prove to be the key vote in any one case and generally took other judges' leads both in oral and written arguments. While generally socially conservative, predictably, he had a rather expansive interpretation of the Commerce Clause, and a closed definition of civil liberties that irritated more stringent Liberty Conservative types, who hoped that one of their own, if nominated, would have continued to press for government enforcement of these rights. He did ease some concerns by voting generally in favor of allowing state and local governments leeway in acting in the interest of civil rights. Amusingly, his most notable characteristic as a judge would be his tendency to defect from the Conservative camp whenever Dershowitz defected from the Liberals. Rumors abound that the two had come to hate each other, even on a personal level (unsurprising given their prickly personalities), but this has never been proven, as the two have never publicly mentioned their working relationship.

1591280844135.png

The New Justice

---

“Alright, so we’re changing the date to September 12th?”
“Yep.”
“And that’s when you’ll go down to Capitol Hill to testify about the you-know-what to Congress?”
“I thought you didn’t want to do that.”
“We really don’t have any other choice, do we Mitt? We’ve got a really big problem, huge really, and I can’t think of anything besides-”
“Right, right. I’ll see you then. I’ll see if we can extend this session any longer than we already have.”
“Beautiful. I’ll see what I can do to help out. I will see you then.”

---

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.