Doubtful. The same shock to the establishment that happened in the 1970s that led to social liberalism blooming didn't happen ITTL.
Regarding this, due to Henry the granting of things like sodomy law repeal, partnership benefits, and general normalization are given more support due to their relationship the Civil Rights movement leaders, the movement not having taken a radical turn as in OTL. However, it is likely that anything farther than that, like same-sex marriage or normalization of homosexuality in the media will get less support than OTL. The mainstream consensus is shaping up to be "You have every right to do what you will behind closed doors and we'll champion that to the hilt, but don't push your lifestyle on the rest of us," kind of mentality.

The mainstream consensus is shaping up to be "You have every right to do what you will behind closed doors and we'll champion that to the hilt, but don't push your lifestyle on the rest of us," kind of mentality.

How does keeping gays from getting married play into that?

I'm not being critical, I just don't understand how that plays into the mentality.

How does keeping gays from getting married play into that?

I'm not being critical, I just don't understand how that plays into the mentality.
In their argument, gay marriage would allow for social approval of the homosexual lifestyle, in addition to the religious and familial arguments involved.
ITTL, no one but a small group of far-leftists are even considering this.

May I ask what you mean by "pushing their lifestyle on us"
Eh, you know, demanding civil rights, public displays of affection....
First of all, these reflect only the developments ITTL. I'm trying to keep things accurate despite my personal views.
Things like that would be civil gay marriage, normalized representation in the media, etc. Civil Rights for homosexuals is actually gaining more traction than OTL. I'll get more on that when I draft a social values update.

Ah fair enough,
Also will the greater restrictions in abortion lead to a slightly higher crime rate as opposed to OTL (I'm a fan of Levitt's if that's any vindicator as to what I think)

(I know freakonomics dumbs it down for the masses but it still makes good points and has solid evidence)

I'm not supremely well versed in the historical trajectory of the LGBT rights movement, but wasn't the focus on gay marriage is a strategic goal actually a relatively recent [in the last 25 years] development OTL? There were, as I understand it, a number of other civil rights issues that were prioritized initially. Given the somewhat civil libertarian streak that's developing ITTL I could see the dynamic looking very different without necessarily being significantly more socially conservative.

Regardless, this is actually shaping up to have social issues potentially be much less nationalized than OTL, while the national parties fight over economics, how to combat communism and issues involving race and, eventually, immigration.

Last edited:

The Poarter

Banned
Also can I get a grouping of all the SCOTUS members, al-historic and al-current, and where they stand on most issues? I'll make a graph for all of them similar to this but for TL:

800px-Graph_of_Bailey_Scores_of_Supreme_Court_Justices_1950-2011.png

Also can I get a grouping of all the SCOTUS members, al-historic and al-current, and where they stand on most issues? I'll make a graph for all of them similar to this but for TL:

800px-Graph_of_Bailey_Scores_of_Supreme_Court_Justices_1950-2011.png
Wow, thanks! ITTL Burger is more like Rhenquist while Dewey is OTL Burger. All other justices that are the same in OTL and ITTL are the same. Katzenbach is like Stevens, while Kennedy is like Breyer. Carswell is like Clarence Thomas

The Poarter

Banned
Since you haven't given me a lot of information this is the best I can do:

upload_2016-11-29_21-10-12.png

In hindsight the Warren court wasn't so much as super liberal so much as it didn't have a major conservative tilt and the fact that the tilt itself is only due to a lack of Southerns. According to the Ideological leanings of the source data a difference of one is simply one standard deviation of one. For example if a Justice had a leaning of -0.5, it doesn't mean that their super liberal it just means that they're more liberal than 2 out of 3 people in the country within that certain year and their verdicts reflect that.

EDIT: Southern's Influence. SCOTUS leanings, with the exception of Warren's court have been slightly right leaning.