Minneapolis Star

PaulWellstoneSpeaking640.jpg

A local college professor, who had received local attention for fiercely advocating against the Supreme Court decision in Obey v. Dyke, has announced a run for Congress. Carleton College political science professor Paul Wellstone, an academic known for his advocacy of 'minaprogressivism' and greatly popular among his students - who held a sit in last year to ensure he was reinstated after the administration fired him - declared that he was to seek the nomination of the Minnesota Progressive Party against freshman Democratic Representative Gerry Sikorski of the 6th Congressional District.

"Politicians these days are too tied to special interests," Wellstone stated to the Star. "It is time to bring politics back to the people, to remove the restrictions on recalling corrupt or out of touch officials, get the state out of our bedrooms, and increase democratic control. I support the candidacy of Senator George McGovern, and when I'm elected to Congress I will be one of his strongest allies on Capitol Hill."

The Sixth District covers the southern suburbs and rural areas between the Twin Cities and Rochester, and is evenly divided between the parties despite a distinctive Republican national lean.

-March 10th, 1980-

Sorry, I'm not getting this?

Jesse Helms was a far-right racist, opposed to civil rights and everything that was progressive. McGovern was a progressive, who pushed left-wing ideas when they were extremely unpopular and considered radical.

So, it's a ticket of total opposites.

Jesse Helms was a far-right racist, opposed to civil rights and everything that was progressive. McGovern was a progressive, who pushed left-wing ideas when they were extremely unpopular and considered radical.

So, it's a ticket of total opposites.
I know who they are, but why would McGovern "prolly have to" pick Helms?

I know who they are, but why would McGovern "prolly have to" pick Helms?

He'd need to do so in order to make sure that right-wing Democrats don't think he's ignoring their interests. Balancing the ticket was something done by virtually every candidate before Bill Clinton.