New Color Scheme

I started work on a new color scheme, which my friend Usili has affectionately named the "Next Generation Color Scheme". The current version is this:

37ae2ba86e.png

Obviously, it's not much. I want to take out all the "pointless" colors, and add in ones that people will actively use. This is just the start of it, but I need ideas for things that should have colors and things that don't need them. If anyone wants to volunteer full-on help, then it'd be much appreciated. Also, throw out colors and other suggestions if you can. Thanks! :D

I think California should be a little brighter, especially because they're the shiny GOLDEN state. Still orange though, fits good and shows that life is different West of the Rockies as opposed to the blues and greens of the East.

And here we go again... :D
Hey, what's that supposed to mean? :p There's only one full color scheme in use right now, and I think that another would work fine.

I think California should be a little brighter, especially because they're the shiny GOLDEN state. Still orange though, fits good and shows that life is different West of the Rockies as opposed to the blues and greens of the East.
Good idea, I'll be sure to do that.

I've begun work on China, any advice on how to divide it up well? I was thinking about doing some more south Chinese colors, plus a bunch of different ideological Chinas.

Hey, what's that supposed to mean? :p There's only one full color scheme in use right now, and I think that another would work fine.

I've begun work on China, any advice on how to divide it up well? I was thinking about doing some more south Chinese colors, plus a bunch of different ideological Chinas.

Imperial China should be a desaturated orange, almost like those orange cream popsicles, but then of course we have redish for communist China, green for general Chinese state (unimportant dynasty or space-filler separatist state) dark yet desaturated blue for capitalist, and maybe a grey-green for fascist.

Imperial China should be a desaturated orange, almost like those orange cream popsicles, but then of course we have redish for communist China, green for general Chinese state (unimportant dynasty or space-filler separatist state) dark yet desaturated blue for capitalist, and maybe a grey-green for fascist.

Sure, what about individual principalities?

Also, do people support me in making this, or is it just a pointless endeavor?

I think shades should vary according to the country's government and not whether it's independent or a puppet state and whatnot. Plus, the United States should be bluer and the UK redder and Saxon England should be a little darker in my opinion.

Currently, I believe both TACOS and ARCS are in popular use, with minor interest in GCS. There are 8 other colour schemes I have on file (not counting different versions of the same colour scheme).

And of course there's my one. IIt's mostly complete. But I have the good manners to not wave mine around in public.

But since this seems to be the thread for waving it around, here's my selection of Russian colours...

The main features of my colour scheme are:

* Every concept or nation has a unique colour. Unlike TACOS, nothing gets repeated.
* Lighter and darker shades are algorithmically generated (it's a bit more complex than just "25% lighter/darker", in order to ensure that, for example, the paler Japanese yellow shade is visibly distinct).
* An "extra dark" column exists, in order to show dominion territories.
* Colour boxes also include numbers to indicate RGB values (and yes, I use a formula to indicate whether or not black or white text would look better; I'm an excel nerd).

Russia.png

Last edited:
Also, do people support me in making this, or is it just a pointless endeavor?
I don't really see a need for Yet Another Vanity Color Scheme, especially not one based on quite possibly the most vain of vanity schemes that has ever been produced. That doesn't mean I don't think you should continue (especially if you actually are cutting down on the monstrosity that is TACOS), it just means I honestly don't get it.

The only reason I can see for having so many colors is laziness; rather than try to explain something properly, one can just point back to a scheme and say 'you do the work of understanding my map for me, because I can't be bothered to tell you.' And honestly, that bothers me a bit.

I understand the magpie urge to collect a color for every possible scenario, I really do, but honestly, I for one am never going to remember what this slightly different shade of color means. Why do we need sixty colors for 'various forms and regions of the United States'? Why would anyone ever need that for their map? I'm just completely, hopelessly unable to understand how someone can say 'yes, these are scenarios for things we need to have a color for' when, 99 times out of 100, you're either going to write up an actual explanation for your map, or get asked about it anyway.

You do realise there's absolutely nothing English about Brittany, right? Except possibly in the sense that the Holy Roman Empire was holy, Roman, and an empire.

Question: What do IAPT stand for?
I stands for Integrated (the main country), A stands for autonomous, P stands for Puppet (or dominion), and T stands for Territory.

You do realise there's absolutely nothing English about Brittany, right? Except possibly in the sense that the Holy Roman Empire was holy, Roman, and an empire.

Absolutely, the things in parenthesis are either examples or alternate uses for the color.